Has the cult of Rashford become more important than the player?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So supporting a home grown player who loves the club and actually happens to be quite good amounts to a cult? Some truly weird posters on this forum.
Yeah but he tried to help children and Errm talked to Obama. Poor effort Rashford.

Ixion

Welbeck has played a mere 1,000 more premier league minutes than Rashford, despite their age difference. It’s impossible to downplay just how little football he’s played since he was Rashford’s age.

I was also specifically comparing their careers at United. Rashford is now pretty much the exact age Welbeck was when we sold him, and has started nearly three times as many games for us as Welbeck managed. If he’d been given as many opportunities as Rashford they’d have very similar numbers.

I think what’s causing the confusion here is that unlike those who judge players by memes, I don’t think being ‘a bit better than Welbeck’ is any kind of insult.
It isn''t an insult but it is nowhere near the truth. Rashford hasn't just been given more opportunities than Welbeck for no reason, he has earnt the playing time, scoring big goals, making a difference. If Welbeck was capable of scoring 20+ goals a season while he was here he would have had more chances. They are on completely different levels.

Rashford has not already surpassed Welbeck's career total because of luck, injuries, penalties, managers giving him more chances etc. It is because he is a far better player.

Chabon

It isn''t an insult but it is nowhere near the truth. Rashford hasn't just been given more opportunities than Welbeck for no reason, he has earnt the playing time, scoring big goals, making a difference. If Welbeck was capable of scoring 20+ goals a season while he was here he would have had more chances. They are on completely different levels.
In Welbeck’s time he had to compete with Ronaldo (briefly), Rooney, Berbatov, Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park, Hernandez and Van Persie. You really think if Rashford comes through in that era he gets to start 200 games before he’s 24?

This gets to heart of the question: Rashford’s entire career has been a result of us being, frankly, a bit shit. I dislike the word ‘cult’, but I think op is right that there’s a substantial disparity between his ability and his profile. It is like Beckham, although at least in Marcus’ case he’s not doing it on purpose to impress his girlfriend.

Nikelesh Reddy

Can't see him reaching Rooney's level? We are talking about arguably the best English player in last 20 years or one of the best, ManUtd top scorer and England's too and that without playing as out and out striker. Incredible player with insane work rate, like attacking mid but with scoring rate of strikers.

Forget Rashford, none of the players in the squad can reach Rooney's level maybe except Greenwood.

Problem with fans is, the people who say they don't rate Rashford are the ones who compare him with Rooney and Ronaldo. Ofcourse everyone is average when compared to them.
Mate,he is Manchester Uniteds number 10...Is it so shocking that he’s being compared to a previous occupant of the number 10 shirt?

Nikelesh Reddy

I think what the OP is actually suggesting is that Rashford gets the importance of a Rooney or Ronaldo without actually being close to that level, and the OP likely ascertains the reason behind that to his off field work and image.
Yeah,in a way this is what I was suggesting.Plus Hes Manchester United number 10 for gods sake!!Obviously the present day attacking players will be compared to their predecessors!!So many folks on here are saying”Don’t compare him to Rooney”...But why not?If we want to achieve the kind of success that we had in the SAF era,then obviously we need to have players with a similar level of talent and potential...That’s what we should always strive for...

Maticmaker

There is a danger that the 'outside of football' persona of Rashford can affect the footballer side.
Great though it is, what things Marcus is able to do outside football are because he is a famous footballer, it gives him the platform. Lots of other young men from similar backgrounds could hold similar views and say similar things, but they don't have the 'limelight' that Marcus has.

I'm am not so sure SAF would have been happy with the way things are developing and if he were still manager you could have imaging him saying things like, "listen son, ultimately you can either be 'St. Marcus of Wythenshawe' or Marcus Rashford of Manchester United, a dinna see yer doing both!". SAF liked single-mindedness in his players, like David Beckham found out!

The next few years, especially in football terms are going to be crucial to Marcus as he moves towards his peak in his late twenties; he therefore needs to be able to balance both sides of his life very carefully and need the full support of the club...and the fans.

CG1010

Somewhere I also feel that Rashford's (very admirable) missions to improve the world have taken over Rashford the footballer. He has stopped growing as a footballer for sometime now. Whether it is linked to his outside football exploits is something we would never know but my guess is that they have.

Jibbs

I know where you are coming from... Seems like the guy us aiming for run at the office in the long run. More power to him though, seems like really nice and genuine guy. But as United fans we must realise his performance will suffer. It is now up to him and the club to decide how he can juggle both this together.

Nikelesh Reddy

Dont compare him to Ronaldo,Rooney,RVN,Giggs and all the legends who won multiple titles for us....Let’s be happy cause he’s better than Welbeck,Nani and Gabriel obertan,....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In Welbeck’s time he had to compete with Ronaldo (briefly), Rooney, Berbatov, Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park, Hernandez and Van Persie. You really think if Rashford comes through in that era he gets to start 200 games before he’s 24?

This gets to heart of the question: Rashford’s entire career has been a result of us being, frankly, a bit shit. I dislike the word ‘cult’, but I think op is right that there’s a substantial disparity between his ability and his profile. It is like Beckham, although at least in Marcus’ case he’s not doing it on purpose to impress his girlfriend.
I do. Maybe slightly less because we wouldn’t be relying on him to the same extent we have been in recent years. Of course, if his workload had been better managed there’s a good chance he’d have been even more productive with the opportunities he’s had. I was a big fan of Danny Welbeck but Rashford’s clearly in a different league.

There’s no doubt he’s someone who’s struggled more than most with this crazy season. The combination of the absurd amount of games and this chronic shoulder problem has been a huge problem for him. The fact he remains so productive and available to be selected in so many games (while also achieving great things away from the pitch) does him tremendous credit. Some of the takes in this thread are absolutely mental.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’s still at the bottom of that list while regularly competing deep into the Europa league vs players doing it in the CL or more regularly in the PL. I always see these stats and think it’s strange to bring them up to some show he’s a top player but he’s misunderstood. They show that he’s clearly in the level below and with the lowest work rate out of any player listed by some distance. Yes he’s the youngest player on the list but if this is him close to peaking we are in trouble if we continue to be so reliant on him.

Also Spurs x 2
Liverpool x 2

Do you think this unfit looking Rashford is going to help get any of his team mates onto a list like this? These days any chance a team mate has dies when Rashford gets on the ball
It's PL stats, PL only.

It's not brought to show he is top player, someone posted his goals arent enough when there are only 6 players who have contributed to more goals in league in last 2 seasons.

Weird way to look at stats, I posted just 6 players who had more than him, that doesn't mean he is at the bottom, maybe should have posted full list so that you would have realised he was 7th out of some 500+ players. :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Mate,he is Manchester Uniteds number 10...Is it so shocking that he’s being compared to a previous occupant of the number 10 shirt?
So your post would have been different had he stayed with whatever he was wearing during his debut season?

roonster09

Scout
Peak Rashford is better than peak Wellbeck. Balls to the wall and I needed to send out players I could trust to play to a minimum standard Im picking Wellbeck, sorry
:lol:

Fingeredmouse

It's a meaningless comparison that makes no sense unless you actually believe that squad numbers are an empirical measurement of ability.

A 23 year old who came through our ranks and has provided some scintillating moments and consistently delivers the numbers being perpetually eviscerated on a Utd forum is what is fecking shocking.

Apparently all of our players are shit, including Bruno, according to the belligerence engine that is the Utd Forum. That is shocking.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he was 100% fit and had produced this season's output from that I'd be a bit worried.
But he's clearly been well off top fitness for large spells of the season.

We really need to get him properly healed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's PL stats, PL only.

It's not brought to show he is top player, someone posted his goals arent enough when there are only 6 players who have contributed to more goals in league in last 2 seasons.

Weird way to look at stats, I posted just 6 players who had more than him, that doesn't mean he is at the bottom, maybe should have posted full list so that you would have realised he was 7th out of some 500+ players. :lol:
He at a top club playing regularly so naturally enough you compare his stats with other players playing regularly at top clubs. The stats show he’s above average. Top 6 as you keep showing everyone.. As I just said to @KM he’s also top of your list for wastefulness, miles ahead with lack of work rate and most importantly minutes played but no mention of any of that. No sign of any of his team mates on that list either because nobody else can get a run past him or play off him when he loses or wastes the ball every time he’s got it in the last 5 months. If you can’t see how poor he’s been and how that’s eventually held us back getting into the business end of the season then fair enough. You’ll never change your point of view. If slightly above average is enough for you then so be it. It won’t ever be enough to win anything on its own and he rarely enables good play around him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Peak Rashford is better than peak Wellbeck. Balls to the wall and I needed to send out players I could trust to play to a minimum standard Im picking Wellbeck, sorry
Textbook red alert.
Tiny post count, can't spell one of our player's names correctly, and most of all, an absolutely ludicrous view.

roonster09

Scout
He at a top club playing regularly so naturally enough you compare his stats with other players playing regularly at top clubs. The stats show he’s above average. Top 6 as you keep showing everyone.. As I just said to @KM he’s also top of your list for wastefulness, miles ahead with lack of work rate and most importantly minutes played but no mention of any of that. No sign of any of his team mates on that list either because nobody else can get a run past him or play off him when he loses or wastes the ball every time he’s got it in the last 5 months. If you can’t see how poor he’s been and how that’s eventually held us back getting into the business end of the season then fair enough. You’ll never change your point of view. If slightly above average is enough for you then so be it. It won’t ever be enough to win anything on its own and he rarely enables good play around him.
If you check the stats you will see lot of different players when it comes to wastefulness. 6th or 7th in goal contributions is not average FFS, stop clutching at straws.

The mental gymnastics with the bold part :lol:

Chabon

I do. Maybe slightly less because we wouldn’t be relying on him to the same extent we have been in recent years. Of course, if his workload had been better managed there’s a good chance he’d have been even more productive with the opportunities he’s had. I was a big fan of Danny Welbeck but Rashford’s clearly in a different league.
I just don’t see it. If he came through in the Ferguson years I’m certain he’d have gone the standard league cup-championship loan-PL loan route. By now he’d be starting every other game but getting dropped for big games for more tactically reliable players.

At my most optimistic I’ve compared him before to Mark Hughes, in as much as he’s a fine player, but won’t win a title until he’s the weakest attacking player in the starting 11 rather than the best. Think Webb/McClair/Hughes/Wallace versus Kanchelskis/Cantona/Hughes/Giggs.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Is there really a cult? As far as I can see some people view Rashford as if he were Gabriel Obertan. You can say what you want about stats, but his numbers over the last few years show there's a great player there. Maybe not to the upper echelon levels we might like, but clearly a cut above the rest. Then you add his personality and the fact he's united through and through and you have to wonder why anyone would want him to be shifted? Other clubs would gladly take Rashford and mock us for selling, and he'd probably perform much better under proper coached team.

He hasn't been right, that's obvious, whether mentally or physically we as fans will probably never know. What I do know is that he's not the reason he's playing every match and not being subbed. He's not the reason we've had no shape or direction in attack over the years. He is however a player that can be relied upon to provide good service to this club over the next decade or so. Whether that is a pivotal role or less so, will be up to him to iron out the kinks and to the coaching of the team.

There's no need to make out Rashford to be this brainless, show boating, head stuck up his arse player, when he's clearly not. We can all clearly see the disjoint in our attacks, we know these players are better than they have shown hell even our star player Bruno has often times looked useless. How long before we start calling for Bruno's head like we've done Rashford, Pogba, Martial and more over the years. Maybe just maybe, it's more than just them.

Ali Dia

If you check the stats you will see lot of different players when it comes to wastefulness. 6th or 7th in goal contributions is not average FFS, stop clutching at straws.

The mental gymnastics with the bold part :lol:
Well if he’s so special how come old man Cavani has basically caught up to him in 1300 less minutes, works much much much harder and also brings team mates (Greenwood) into play without fuss? How’s that? Good team plus good player equals numbers especially against some of the fodder in this league. Rashford has been awful for ages. You can have your mental gymnastics to defend a slightly above average player in a top team all you want. We need top players and we aren’t going anywhere fast depending on rashford

as I said above. Rooney? Ronaldo? Dan James is going to have a better euros than Rashford. :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Well if he’s so special how come old man Cavani has basically caught up to him in 1300 less minutes, works much much much harder and also brings team mates (Greenwood) into play without fuss? How’s that? Good team plus good player equals numbers especially against some of the fodder in this league. Rashford has been awful for ages. You can have your mental gymnastics to defend a slightly above average player in a top team all you want. We need top players and we aren’t going anywhere fast depending on rashford

as I said above. Rooney? Ronaldo? Dan James is going to have a better euros than Rashford. :lol:
:lol: one more.

Ali Dia

:lol: one more.
look hes 6th for g/a with one goal in the league since January. No defensive work. Shit body language. Probably the highest paid English player currently. His PR/ management have played a blinder and fools like you and @KM lap it up

Mark my words Dan James will do more in a far worse team at the euros and Rashford will continue to walk around and then I’ll have a nice laugh at the fan boys expense

stw2022

Textbook red alert.
Tiny post count, can't spell one of our player's names correctly, and most of all, an absolutely ludicrous view.
yes lad

We might have to mess about a bit with a 5-3-2 where the wing backs sit centrally at times to make up for Pogba and Fernandez being up field.
Basically how City play at times when they incorporate D Silva and De Bruyne.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pogba-and-fernandes.453451/page-8#post-25327477

roonster09

Scout
look hes 6th for g/a with one goal in the league since January. No defensive work. Shit body language. Probably the highest paid English player currently. His PR/ management have played a blinder and fools like you and @KM lap it up

Mark my words Dan James will do more in a far worse team at the euros and Rashford will continue to walk around and then I’ll have a nice laugh at the fan boys expense
No, its morons who dont understand stats or the context why it was posted. To make it easier, i even quoted 3 posts to post stats.

He is 7th in the list means he is at the bottom of the list, when PL stats are posted spout nonsense like CL and Europa :lol:

And one more lie in the list now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Alright weirdo, calm down. You have tagged me twice in the last twenty mins for no reason.

stw2022

Haha well played.
Hope that 45mins was worth it :lol:
It’s literally the second search result. Its a frequent mistake. I used all my time away from my low post count learning these things babes

pacifictheme

You only have to look at Rashford since Cavani has come into the team. By your logic he should have come alive around him sharing the workload and playing great stuff off him but that hasn't transpired. He’s been the out and out attacker for us against a lot of teams we should be smashing but we typically make hard enough work of it. His numbers are respectable for someone with no defensive duties at a top club. Nothing that should make him the undroppable fulcrum of our attack going forward.

I agree if he was getting these numbers at another club we would definitely be looking at him but you would be having major doubts about splashing out the kind of money he’d cost if you watched him regularly like we do. if they were at different clubs and the choice was between sancho or Rashford I would pick Sancho as he’s already more complete and he works harder.
Yeah hes a winger. The reason he's not a main striker is because his strength is coming in from wide. And we still ignoring the fact he's been playing with an injury yeah?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It’s literally the second search result. Its a frequent mistake. I used all my time away from my low post count learning these things babes
This could be the start of a beautiful online friendship :lol:

stw2022

He’s a less technical Nani with a bigger role than the former ever had. That’s about as much as I can summarize him in short. Great moments, explosive, shockingly inconsistent and overall maddening.
Earlier someone mentioned Nani’s work rate. To be fair to Rashford I don’t think his or anyone’s would be an issue under Fergie either

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
From what I’m seeing he'd be best off focussing on football. It’s a short career and the best players spend these years focussing only on football. Nothing wrong with that, plenty of time for the other stuff later.

There was a comparison with Beckham above here, but he was tearing it up and winning things while at United and with the media circus. Rashford is nowhere near that and doesn’t compare.

OleBoiii

Well ain't this some shit.

roonster09

Scout
Alright weirdo, calm down. You have tagged me twice in the last twenty mins for no reason.
Don't confuse him too much mate, he can't even count more than 1.

Scoring vs Southampton, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool means scoring 1 goal since Jan.

KM

No, its morons who dont understand stats or the context why it was posted. To make it easier, i even quoted 3 posts to post stats.

He is 7th in the list means he is at the bottom of the list, when PL stats are posted spout nonsense like CL and Europa :lol:

And one more lie in the list now.
It's incredible on how length people will go to discredit one of our players.

KM

Don't confuse him too much mate, he can't even count more than 1.

Scoring vs Southampton, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool means scoring 1 goal since Jan.
Christ :lol:

Thought we had an age restriction on this forum?