Has the cult of Rashford become more important than the player?

stw2022

Sancho Cavani Greenwood is going to be much more creative against the low block and a lot more hardworking in general. Rashford has completely played himself out of an automatic starting position at the euros, I’d say there’s a question mark about him even getting called up at this stage. That should say enough about the standard he’s set in 2021.
Dunno who he plays ahead of for England and I hope after this window we will say same at us in August

He'sRaldo

He's a good player, if he played a more normal game then people would give him a lot more leeway. He's taken on a lot of responsibility both on and off the pitch in the last few years, and that obviously takes a mental toll.

That said, his woes are not purely down to off the pitch stress. I don't think we've found his best position yet, and when we do, his decision-making will be much more explicable and ultimately devastating.

Velvet Revolver

There is definitely a great player in there, I wish he'd do the simple things right. There is this unnecessary need to do the spectacular every time he gets the ball. if he can keep it simple and make better decisions he can go to the next level I think.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, here's the list of the most productive players in Europe across all the top leagues:
RankPlayerAgeClubGoalsAssistsTotal
1​
Robert Lewandowski
32​
Bayern Munich
48​
8​
56​
2​
Kylian Mbappé
22​
Paris Saint-Germain
42​
11​
53​
3​
Erling Haaland
20​
Borussia Dortmund
41​
12​
53​
4​
Lionel Messi
33​
FC Barcelona
38​
14​
52​
5​
Harry Kane
27​
Tottenham Hotspur
33​
17​
50​
6​
Bruno Fernandes
26​
Manchester United
28​
17​
45​
7​
Gerard Moreno
29​
Villarreal CF
30​
11​
41​
8​
Cristiano Ronaldo
36​
Juventus FC
36​
4​
40​
9​
Romelu Lukaku
28​
Inter Milan
30​
10​
40​
10​
Karim Benzema
33​
Real Madrid
30​
9​
39​
11​
André Silva
25​
Eintracht Frankfurt
29​
10​
39​
12​
Heung-min Son
28​
Tottenham Hotspur
22​
17​
39​
13​
Thomas Müller
31​
Bayern Munich
15​
24​
39​
14​
Mohamed Salah
28​
Liverpool FC
31​
6​
37​
15​
Luis Muriel
30​
Atalanta BC
26​
11​
37​
16​
Michael Liendl
35​
Wolfsberger AC
17​
20​
37​
17​
Marcus Rashford
23​
Manchester United
21​
15​
36​
18​
Jadon Sancho
21​
Borussia Dortmund
16​
20​
36​
19​
Wout Weghorst
28​
VfL Wolfsburg
25​
9​
34​
20​
Memphis Depay
27​
Olympique Lyon
22​
12​
34​
21​
Ciro Immobile
31​
SS Lazio
25​
8​
33​
22​
Duván Zapata
30​
Atalanta BC
19​
14​
33​
23​
Antoine Griezmann
30​
FC Barcelona
20​
12​
32​
24​
Álvaro Morata
28​
Juventus FC
20​
12​
32​
25​
Lars Stindl
32​
Borussia Mönchengladbach
17​
15​
32​
26​
Andrej Kramaric
29​
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
25​
6​
31​
27​
Wissam Ben Yedder
30​
AS Monaco
22​
9​
31​
28​
Lautaro Martínez
23​
Inter Milan
19​
11​
30​
29​
Lorenzo Insigne
29​
SSC Napoli
19​
11​
30​
30​
Johannes Eggestein
23​
SV Werder Bremen
20​
9​
29​

It's quite a tight table, so despite being 17th Rashford really isn't far behind. And if you take away Bruno's 13 penalties this season, he'd be comfortably number 1 at United too.

Of the players in this list, only Haaland, Mbappe, Silva, Sancho and Lautaro and Eggestein are in the same age range. If Rashford is on course to be one of the 6 best players of his generation, that would easily good enough.
If we go with non penalty goals.

RankPlayerAgeClubGoalsAssistsTotalPenalty goalsNon Penalty goals + Assists
1Erling Haaland20Borussia Dortmund411253
3​
50​
2Robert Lewandowski32Bayern Munich48856
10​
46​
3Lionel Messi33FC Barcelona381452
7​
45​
4Kylian Mbappé22Paris Saint-Germain421153
9​
44​
5Harry Kane27Tottenham Hotspur331750
6​
44​
6Karim Benzema33Real Madrid30939
0​
39​
7Heung-min Son28Tottenham Hotspur221739
1​
38​
8Thomas Müller31Bayern Munich152439
3​
36​
9Luis Muriel30Atalanta BC261137
2​
35​
10Marcus Rashford23Manchester United211536
2​
34​
11Romelu Lukaku28Inter Milan301040
7​
33​
12Jadon Sancho21Borussia Dortmund162036
3​
33​
13Bruno Fernandes26Manchester United281745
13​
32​
14André Silva25Eintracht Frankfurt291039
7​
32​
15Wout Weghorst28VfL Wolfsburg25934
2​
32​
16Duván Zapata30Atalanta BC191433
1​
32​
17Cristiano Ronaldo36Juventus FC36440
9​
31​
18Antoine Griezmann30FC Barcelona201232
1​
31​
19Álvaro Morata28Juventus FC201232
1​
31​
20Mohamed Salah28Liverpool FC31637
7​
30​
21Gerard Moreno29Villarreal CF301141
12​
29​
22Johannes Eggestein23SV Werder Bremen209
29​
0​
29​
23Lautaro Martínez23Inter Milan191130
2​
28​
24Memphis Depay27Olympique Lyon221234
8​
26​
25Ciro Immobile31SS Lazio25833
7​
26​
26Lars Stindl32Borussia Mönchengladbach171532
7​
25​
27Andrej Kramaric29TSG 1899 Hoffenheim25631
7​
24​
28Lorenzo Insigne29SSC Napoli191130
7​
23​
29Wissam Ben Yedder30AS Monaco22931
11​
20​

roonster09

Scout
It was irony given it followed the poster publicly pre-emping my “passive-aggressive” reply. I should have waited and quoted the guy who agreed and then accused this place of being toxic

Clearly insults are fine if you’ve the post count to back it up
:lol:

stw2022

There is definitely a great player in there, I wish he'd do the simple things right. There is this unnecessary need to do the spectacular every time he gets the ball. if he can keep it simple and make better decisions he can go to the next level I think.

His good is good, his average is poor , his poor is awful. Also he hasn’t adapted his game to take into account either his supposed injury or an alternative role he’s been asked to play such as when he’s played on the right.

He seems to be trying to be the same player but with positional/fitness limitations and whatever the stats say, watching him I don’t think it’s working.

roonster09

Scout
Apologies for assuming your gender
Keep them coming, you can't even see a sarcastic post ffs. It was so obvious too given the context.

Moaning about how this place is toxic ignoring the posts from the poster who is on 'your side of the argument'. Like I said, fake moral outrage.

Velvet Revolver

His good is good, his average is poor , his poor is awful. Also he hasn’t adapted his game to take into account either his supposed injury or an alternative role he’s been asked to play such as when he’s played on the right.

He seems to be trying to be the same player but with positional/fitness limitations and whatever the stats say, watching him I don’t think it’s working.
Agree, but injury and squad management is on the manager. He is not forcing ole to play him and even if he does Ole should know better. It's also our sqad depth, 60% fit Rashford is better than the options we have on the bench. Unless ole is bold enough to play youth there.

But that said, him not adapting or making proper decisions is on him. I dont know if his off field work is impacting his on field performances.

Posh Red

I'm just wondering why so many seem to have such disdain for our players.
One of the weirdest aspects of this argument is the people saying they don’t expect a 23 year old player to continue to improve, purely because he’s played a lot of games. Perhaps it’s a lack of patience and a need for instant gratification

stw2022

Agree, but injury and squad management is on the manager. He is not forcing ole to play him and even if he does Ole should know better. It's also our sqad depth, 60% fit Rashford is better than the options we have on the bench. Unless ole is bold enough to play youth there.

But that said, him not adapting or making proper decisions is on him. I dont know if his off field work is impacting his on field performances.
There’s plenty to blame the manager for I agree. Okay he’s a grown man and needs to speak out if he’s injured but he’s been hung out to dry by a manager who can’t afford to take him out of the firing line because all he has tactically is to hope for individual brilliant performances, and Rashford for all my issues with him can pull those off occasionally.

tjb

The club they were playing for isn't that meaningful, for example I would say that Griezmann and Villa were better than Rashford. Villa was already a top player at Zaragoza.
This is one other issue I have btw. He's been fortunate to be at United from such a young age. Just like Martial, being at the most popular club in the world and being young and talented enough to receive hype can lead to people seriously overrating a player. Lonzo Ball in the NBA is a similar comparison in that respect.

Whilst other young stars had to scrap, claw and have decisively class seasons at lower clubs, Rashford and Martial had the advantage of being at United when we had little to no competition in their positions, this meant that especially from 2016 to 2018, anything they did that was remotely good was met with massive overreactions, whilst their peers had to do unthinkable things to even garner a third of the reaction. This is even in comparison to their peers at bigger clubs, people forget at times how big we are as a club and the amount of pull we have. Pogba's initial post-United hype as borne more off of what the media felt United had missed out on than his general play. We turned Di Maria into the third highest shirt selling player in 2015. It's the reason why I like the idea of loaning out our players, due to the level of hype around players, we need to see how they perform consistently at other clubs.

tjb

I'm just wondering why so many seem to have such disdain for our players.
I see where you're coming from. And yes, generally on the CAF this is a problem, but this case is a little bit different. We all love Rashford and for me, I don't think his off the field stuff affects his game....I simply don't think his game, injury or no injury, is good enough to be a key player for us. I think he's at a similar standard to Sterling, yet is treated like he's superior. Our aim is to be as good or better than City, and to do that, we need players who are more in line with the quality of Bruno and Cavani. I think Sancho/Grealish fall in that category, i think Rashford is just below that. That's not disdain, its just being realistic. Disdain is what I have for Martial.

passing-wind

Because they are ambitious and have standards.
Then why are there more threads concerning the players performances and not the managers capabilities ? The biggest hinderance to this team being able to achieve a higher ambition starts and stops with the manager.

stw2022

Then why are there more threads concerning the players performances and not the managers capabilities ? The biggest hinderance to this team being able to achieve a higher ambition starts and stops with the manager.
There are 11 threads on the first page alone full of people doubting his management from various angles

Halftrack

Because they are ambitious and have standards.
That would warrant criticism, but no the active disdain often seen for some of our players.
One of the weirdest aspects of this argument is the people saying they don’t expect a 23 year old player to continue to improve, purely because he’s played a lot of games. Perhaps it’s a lack of patience and a need for instant gratification
Some seem to have this idea that there's only two development trajectories: Early breakthrough or late bloomer.
I see where you're coming from. And yes, generally on the CAF this is a problem, but this case is a little bit different. We all love Rashford and for me, I don't think his off the field stuff affects his game....I simply don't think his game, injury or no injury, is good enough to be a key player for us. I think he's at a similar standard to Sterling, yet is treated like he's superior. Our aim is to be as good or better than City, and to do that, we need players who are more in line with the quality of Bruno and Cavani. I think Sancho/Grealish fall in that category, i think Rashford is just below that. That's not disdain, its just being realistic. Disdain is what I have for Martial.
I don't mind criticism (not that it really matters what I mind or don't mind) but the over-the-top criticism and unkind characterisations are what does me in.

And, I mean, we have posters on this forum telling us that Bruno is actually shit too. Go back a year and Luke Shaw was considered shit and needed to be upgraded on. People swing wildly from extreme to extreme, with very little nuance to be found.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is one other issue I have btw. He's been fortunate to be at United from such a young age. Just like Martial, being at the most popular club in the world and being young and talented enough to receive hype can lead to people seriously overrating a player. Lonzo Ball in the NBA is a similar comparison in that respect.

Whilst other young stars had to scrap, claw and have decisively class seasons at lower clubs, Rashford and Martial had the advantage of being at United when we had little to no competition in their positions, this meant that especially from 2016 to 2018, anything they did that was remotely good was met with massive overreactions, whilst their peers had to do unthinkable things to even garner a third of the reaction. This is even in comparison to their peers at bigger clubs, people forget at times how big we are as a club and the amount of pull we have. Pogba's initial post-United hype as borne more off of what the media felt United had missed out on than his general play. We turned Di Maria into the third highest shirt selling player in 2015. It's the reason why I like the idea of loaning out our players, due to the level of hype around players, we need to see how they perform consistently at other clubs.
That's a misconception. First all players have scrapped football is probably the most competitive sport at youth level and in order to get into an academy you need to give everything, only the best in their age class manage to go to get an apprentice contract then you have scrap among the best and show that you are good enough to play for the senior team. Secondly It's easier to reach professional football in lower clubs than it is at United because the first team is better even what you consider little to no competition is significantly better than anything a club like Zaragoza has, it's also a lot more difficult to match the expectations of a club like United even when we are talking about simply competing for a CL spot and lower clubs are more willing to adapt for a very talented young player and put him in the best situation than a big club would.

And since you quoted a post regarding Villa and Griezmann, people shouldn't miss the fact that Villa is one of the best striker that we will ever see and Griezmann is one of the best french attacking player ever. We are talking about a very high bar that will not be passed that often, it's not something that should be expected.

Nikelesh Reddy

It's a meaningless comparison that makes no sense unless you actually believe that squad numbers are an empirical measurement of ability.

A 23 year old who came through our ranks and has provided some scintillating moments and consistently delivers the numbers being perpetually eviscerated on a Utd forum is what is fecking shocking.

Apparently all of our players are shit, including Bruno, according to the belligerence engine that is the Utd Forum. That is shocking.
Come on,lets not take things so literally for gods sake!By “he’s our number 10”,I mean that he’s supposed to be our talisman and he’s supposed to one of the faces of United just like Rooney was in the past.He gets the same kind of attention and he has a similar profile off the field...He’s supposed to be as important to the future of the club as Rooney was in that period,and hence the comparison.

Plus he’s an attacking player who should be compared to all our top attacking players of the past...

JPRouve

Scout
I was being sarcastic, it's an often used argument that makes little sense.

Nikelesh Reddy

I don't see him in that Rooney/Ronaldo/Van Persie/Van Nistelrooy level, and the truth is as much as fans are saying he's regressed, he was never really on his way there to begin with. If you gave us a front 4 full of Rashford quality players, I don't think we'll win the league, with Bruno/Cavani, you can say that, and that's the standard we need for at least 75 percent of our starting 11. I don't think Rashford is better than Sterling or has a better ceiling either. I don't think he's achieved as much either, yet he's treated like the future of Man Utd and compared with Mbappe whilst Sterling, who's of a similar age and talent level is barely discussed.

It's the United factor and the fact that when we were really poor in terms of attacking talent, he stood head and shoulders above the rest. It speaks more to the lack of quality we had before. He's a good player, but I see him in the Mahrez/Sterling/Damien Duff/ Joe Cole realm. A player who can start regularly, but can also be used in rotation. An x factor that can destroy teams on his day and in given situations, but shouldn't be relied on for consistent quality.
If he’s not at the “Rooney,Van persie,RVN level(forget about Ronaldo),then he doesn’t deserve to start week in week out for United.We have to find players of the Rooney,RVN caliber if we want to get back to the top...

Ixion

If he’s not at the “Rooney,Van persie,RVN level(forget about Ronaldo),then he doesn’t deserve to start week in week out for United.We have to find players of the Rooney,RVN caliber if we want to get back to the top...
It's nice to want things. I'd like to fill every position with someone as good as the players from 99/08 but unfortunately you can't just do that. If we insisted anyone not of that level shouldn't be starting we'd only be able to field 2 players.

Only read the first two pages of this thread because it's the same nonsense over and over again, but I'll pop in again to say I really enjoy STW saying Sancho is just a "different postcode" to Rashford when they've both just had very comparable seasons.

Of course, his reasoning will be that Rashford looks "incompetent on the ball", whatever in the blue hell that means, because you can't back such a garbage opinion up by pointing to goals, assists, or any actual metrics.

JPRouve

Scout
It's nice to want things. I'd like to fill every position with someone as good as the players from 99/08 but unfortunately you can't just do that. If we insisted anyone not of that level shouldn't be starting we'd only be able to field 2 players.
Even then we had the likes of Butt, Silvestre, Wes Brown and Phil Neville as important members of the team. People are living in a different dimension when they want a world beater in every positions, in reality all teams have players that are good on the field but replaceable, now these players generally also are high character individuals, upstanding people that provide a lot in the locker room and I wouldn't be surprised if Rashford is or become that kind of figure at United.

Irwin99

Honestly I think we're tearing him down. Could end up like Owen. There seems to be some sort of shift towards playing the same players most games. We need to trust our squad more.
[/QUOTE]

I've said it a gazillion times but the pressure we put on him (and to some extent Martial) over the past 2 seasons has been enormous; not just the expectation for him to lead the line and perform well, but also to be available every single game virtually. And he's been playing with injuries for the past year and a half.

28gunsalute

If we dont know his best position in the team after 6 years then we may as well give in. looks like hes been playing with an injury for some time.
Was never a born goal scorer and if only he could improve his finishing he'd be a good player. The thing is he misses far too many gilt edged chances for my liking but seen as we got him for nowt I'd keep him as a squad member.

Swiss_Red89

I'm amazed on how much certain posters in this thread invest to talk Rashford down.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

I'm amased on how much certain posters in this thread invest to talk Rashford down.
They betray their feelings when they refer to the people who applaud his charitable endeavors as some sort of fanatical 'cult' rather than normal people appreciating a young man using his platform to try and do objective good for a cause near and dear to his families heart...

Along with using that to denigrate him as a player when he's already had a better start to his career than the vast majority of players of the same age in spite of injuries

georgipep

Is there any way to make a valid comparison without it being a trigger to your cult-like opinions on Rashford?

Objective stats and figures didn't seem to work for you. Which means that when you asked for examples of players to compare to Rashford, you did so with the expectation that no possible evidence could convince you to change your mind. That's a textbook case of setting up goal posts and then shifting them after the fact.
@stw2022, you are sinking without a trace. You have been given MORE THAN ENOUGH proof that Rashford is not only doing quite well, he is actually better than what most of his fans thought he is.

You are either comparing him to players you are not watching on a regular basis (and thus believe they perform week-in, week-out) or to a computer game version of footballer's performance.

Suck it up, accept the facts and move on.

Ixion

They betray their feelings when they refer to the people who applaud his charitable endeavors as some sort of fanatical 'cult' rather than normal people appreciating a young man using his platform to try and do objective good for a cause near and dear to his families heart...
I am skeptical of anyone bringing up his charity work when talking about him given the shit that gets said and the abuse he gets on twitter. How dare he buy his Mum a house when he doesn't play 10/10 every week, how dare he try to help hungry children when he didn't score in the last game, how dare he video call Barrack Obama when the season has ended. A lot of people feign concern about his form because of ulterior motives they can hide through football and I'm sure there will be people in this very thread trying to disguise why they dislike Rashford and what he does.

tjb

If he’s not at the “Rooney,Van persie,RVN level(forget about Ronaldo),then he doesn’t deserve to start week in week out for United. We have to find players of the Rooney,RVN caliber if we want to get back to the top...
Which is true but can't always happen. Cole and Yorke weren't Rooney, RVP or RVN. However, In order to make up for potential consistencies they had in their game ( which for Yorke didn't really show till 2001) we had Sheringham and Ole who were of similar qualities that could rotate and make up that offensive difference.

jlecesne

He’s never looked the same since that back injury. I still think he can be one of the worlds best but for whatever reason it’s just not happening for him at the moment and it makes things worse when he tries too hard to make something happen. He puts his head down and dribbles into 5 players to try and create a spark but ends up losing the ball. Hard to say what his ceiling is but he will hit some form, gain confidence and the game will start coming more naturally to him.

It’s typical that people want to bring in a players personal life when he’s not in form. When becks was out of form Victoria was distracting him and ruining his career blah blah blah. When he was in form no one talked about it.

Same with Rashford. I don’t think you can argue that he’s been underwhelming and everyone wants to speculate why. But he’s got loads of ability and a lot of people will be eating crow when he does hit a rich vein of form.

9 Stone Elvis

I think people just need to use their eyes and watch Rasford rather than completely looking at stats. Im amazed he has got 20 goals again this season because I dont think he has played very well for long spells either through injury or any other factors we care to debate. Hes not "Danny Welbeck" though because thats two years he has scored twenty goals and Im not sure Danny has got to 20 in his career yet.

The issue I have with him is that he is a bit like Martial in that he feels like a streaky player. he will score a hat trick tomorrow and two next week then go 5 games playing poorly but the stat will show 5 goes in 7 games which is quite good.....

I also think there is no denying that his in game intelligence isnt developing much. He was running down the same blind alleys in the Europa Final that he was doing all his career and I wonder what happens to make him better at that?

I think that while there will be people who are overly harsh on our players there is the opposite too. He is 24 this year, its not unreasonable to look at a player who burst on the scene 300 games ago and be looking for or hoping for more by now but he's a local lad through the youth team so we are desperate for him to do well. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps not entirely objective. I do feel that if a new signing was putting in these performances he would be judged more harshly and I suspect that 21 year old Jason Sancho will be if he signs.

roonster09

Scout
I think people just need to use their eyes and watch Rasford rather than completely looking at stats. Im amazed he has got 20 goals again this season because I dont think he has played very well for long spells either through injury or any other factors we care to debate. Hes not "Danny Welbeck" though because thats two years he has scored twenty goals and Im not sure Danny has got to 20 in his career yet.

The issue I have with him is that he is a bit like Martial in that he feels like a streaky player. he will score a hat trick tomorrow and two next week then go 5 games playing poorly but the stat will show 5 goes in 7 games which is quite good.....

I also think there is no denying that his in game intelligence isnt developing much. He was running down the same blind alleys in the Europa Final that he was doing all his career and I wonder what happens to make him better at that?

I think that while there will be people who are overly harsh on our players there is the opposite too. He is 24 this year, its not unreasonable to look at a player who burst on the scene 300 games ago and be looking for or hoping for more by now but he's a local lad through the youth team so we are desperate for him to do well. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps not entirely objective. I do feel that if a new signing was putting in these performances he would be judged more harshly and I suspect that 21 year old Jason Sancho will be if he signs.
He isn't as streaky as you think. Most number of games he went without scoring or assisting this season was 3 games, it happened twice. Both times he made 2 starts and came on as a sub in the other game. So his biggest dry patch this season was 2 games where he started.

Also he has played 57 games - 46 starts and 11 times he came on as sub. He has either scored or assisted in 29 games.

In PL - His longest dry spell was 4 games (3 starts and 1 sub). After that he had dry spell of 2 games and that happened twice. For any player the 2 games is not even considered as dry spell. So in most weeks Rashford contributed with either a goal or assist.

Like many have already said, there is lot of room for improvement but when it comes to goal contributions (from open play) he is our best player. He has scored or assisted consistently.

9 Stone Elvis

He isn't as streaky as you think. Most number of games he went without scoring or assisting this season was 3 games, it happened twice. Both times he made 2 starts and came on as a sub in the other game. So his biggest dry patch this season was 2 games where he started.

Also he has played 57 games - 46 starts and 11 times he came on as sub. He has either scored or assisted in 29 games.

In PL - His longest dry spell was 4 games (3 starts and 1 sub). After that he had dry spell of 2 games and that happened twice. For any player the 2 games is not even considered as dry spell. So in most weeks Rashford contributed with either a goal or assist.

Like many have already said, there is lot of room for improvement but when it comes to goal contributions (from open play) he is our best player. He has scored or assisted consistently.
Maybe its an age thing but I absolutely HATE goal stats being padded out with assists which can be so meaningless. Im talking about goals here. He has 20 goals this season and it feels kind of streaky although I accept that might not be the case in reality.

lysglimt

Scout
I think Rashfords off-the-pitch activities effect his football - but at the same time, you can't really criticize a player/person when what he is doing is more important than football.