g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Has this collectively been the worst season ever for the PL?

AndySmith1990

In terms of quality surely the season Leicester won it has to be seen as pretty poor. Spurs were their main rivals too. Also our last title winning team was quite bad relative to our previous title winning teams. It's boring seeing City winning almost every year but the quality of their team is exceptional

But as far as spectacle and excitement goes it's fizzling out. It's becoming like the German or French leagues. Not quite as boring as F1 though

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
C Manchester City - Good season.
2 Arsenal - Overperformed.
3 Newcastle United - Overperformed.
4 Manchester United - About right (top 4 finish).
5 Liverpool - Underperformed.
6 Brighton & Hove Albion - Overperformed.
7 Aston Villa - Overperformed.
8 Tottenham Hotspur - Underperformed.
9 Brentford - About right (mid table).
10 Fulham - - About right (mid table) but overperformed.
11 Crystal Palace - About right (mid table).
12 Chelsea - Underperformed.
13 Wolverhampton Wanderers - About right (mid table).
14 West Ham United - About right (mid table) but slightly underperformed.
15 Bournemouth - About right (relegation battle) but overperformed.
16 Nottingham Forest - About right (relegation battle) but overperformed.
17 Everton - Underperformed.
18 Leicester City - Underperformed.
19 Leeds United - About right (relegation battle).
R Southampton - About right (relegation battle).

I'd see the table as something like this.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don’t know about teamwise discussions but for me it’s actually been one of the best seasons I have watched recently. A lot of the games have been much more open and we have had so many dramatic finishes to the games

Cloud7

Chelsea’s narrow avoidance of relegation after spending so much money, as well as changing managers so many times in the season has been a fun story.

Newcastle going from avoiding relegation to top 4 is not something you see everyday.

I know City are annoying but a team being on top for almost the entire season and then the second place team accelerating and snatching it from them is good viewing as well, people are just not excited about it because it’s City.

Spurs implosion under Conte.

The relegation battle has been good viewing.

This season has had some worthwhile points in my opinion. I think general apathy about City among United fans is causing a bit of bias.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Someone said it was soulless and I agree. Atmosphere seems to be quieter than before, the games lack quality overall but are packed with drama which is the selling point I guess.

I don't think its been a bad season though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think this has been a good season for club football overall. But maybe it's because City seem to dominate all competitions now, and they are facing fecking Inter in CL final. In EPL I think it has been quite interesting, but only 2 teams played quality football consistently over the season.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Being pedantic but have they really? I feel city are kind of the same. Adding Haaland has been a success but it’s seen a drop off from a few others in their squad.
City would have to win their last two games to surpass last seasons points total… by one point.
They’ve already conceded more goals and would need to score eight more goals to surpass their goal tally from last year. There’s this big idea that Haaland has taken them to new levels but he hasn’t really and he didn’t do anything in the CL semies either.
won the league with 3 games to spare & look better elsewhere too Imo

they bore me though

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It’s the big Premier League myth that we’ve had for over 15 years. 5-6 teams can win it…. But it’s usually won with games to go, with teams 3-5 never ever really in it. Don’t think we’ve ever had a last day where 3 or more can win it, even last days where two can win it are once a decade occasions.
without looking there have been 2 in the last 4 seasons and last year it went down to the final minute, if City conceded v Villa after getting 3-2 up from 2-0 down then Liverpool would have won the league

Strootman's Finger

Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and United (post February) all downed tools.
Granted, I make a point of not watching Liverpool, but I am pretty sure they were crap in the first half of the season and it's their form post February that's got them back into Europe. I am sure the rest of your logic is sound too.

Pintu

Yeah, agreed. PL has been fairly standard. Entertaining and plenty of twists and turns. CL has been absolutely muck. Not one memorable match in the whole thing.
The KOs have been… The Real vs Pool and Bayern vs PSG turned out to be very underwhelming one-sided stories.

But the group stage was entertaining enough. I think the second leg of Inter Barcelona was massive. Napoli were amazing.. The twists and turns in some other groups as well (Spurs-Marseille-Frankfurt-Sporting)… Same with Porto Leverkusen Atletico…

Guy Incognito

The real story is down at the bottom.

No matter how much hype Sky create, the league is monopolised by City. Teams can challenge but no one will close the gap until they drop off or questions are asked about their FFP charges.

Woodzy

Hot take and maybe down to my poor memory but the year Leicester won it was on a whole boring from what I recall. Undoubtedly the greatest achievement the league has ever seen, but not particularly exciting aside from that.

I don’t remember anything else interesting happen, maybe partly because Leicester winning it was the most interesting thing that could happen, but still I don’t remember much going on beyond that. At a certain point fans turned their attention away from their own team’s’ achievements to focus on Leicester.

The quality of the league overall was one of its poorest, the Leicester team weren’t anything special either aside from the 2 or 3 stand out players. I’d even argue you could put today’s Brighton team in that league and they would probably look the best team it.

surf

At the very top it's more predictable than ever. But below City there was a lot of churn. The strength in depth is going up all the time. Former title winners Leicester show that you can't rest on your laurels.

The quality is improving every season as teams need to up their technical and athletic ability to compete.