Has Zlatan deserved his contract extension?

Witchking

Lol, did I hit a nerve? Here are some of your "highlights":

"Yet he hardly helps in winning the game, hardly wins any headers, is slow, misses sitters." - BWAHAHAHA

"Does not deserve anything from United, especially a second season. He is slowing down Martial and Rashford's progress." - BWAHAHAHA

List 3 overrated players: "Zlatan, Cavani, Toure." - BWAHAHAHA

"Him being the most experienced striker, today's game was the exact time for him to prove his worth to the team after missing so many chances and yet he fecked up." - BWAHAHAHA

"Very disappointing. Does not deserve to get a second season. Don't care that he had a couple of good plays with Mata. Pathetic." - BWAHAHAHA

"Jose's big fat ego just won't allow him to swallow his pride and admit his mistake." - BWAHAHAHA

"Zlatan, looks like a taller version off Rooney."
- BWAHAHAHA

When you are wrong, you are REALLY wrong aren't you.

We get it. You hate Zlatan. Your negativity is toxic.
:lol: Yes. Happy to have made your day.

red4ever 79

World class striker delivering goals and influence. Love the guy and chuffed to have him here. The contrast with him in the team as opposed to last season is night and day for me

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The big problem with signing older players is that you need success now to justify their signing. Like RvP.This was an argument I made in the summer.

If we don't get top 4 it won't be Zlatans fault. He's done his bit. However you then question what was the point in bringing him in? It wont have brought short term success and he won't be here in the long term.

Wouldn't that time have been better spent developing the striker and building the team that's going to take us back to the very top? Which realistically you can't see Zlatan being here for (Unless there's some sort for huge, rapid, improvement).

Again this isn't a criticism of Zlatan before anyone goes crazy. Just a question about the best way to build a team out of the various options available.
you are actually thinking short-term yourself.

You neglect the impact this mans character, drive, will-to-win and confidence will do for younger players. By all accounts he is a magnificent trainer and they all look up to him. Its like when United signed Cantona and suddenly the younger players saw this guy putting in more than necessaryon the training pitch, and how he conducted himself around the club and on the pitch. Its breeding new attitudes, he's a leader.

So yes, I'd still take him every time given the choice.

Ji_Maria

:lol: Yes. Happy to have made your day.
Usually when someone spends an entire month making a fool of themselves, they would typically quietly shrink away in embarassment, but not you, you are a survivor! :rolleyes: Go ahead, double down on some other player.

redshaw

His quality is very high on the ball and his hold up play has been very good as well. Sad to see some were on his back for a spell. We need another established striker though to fight on all fronts as we shouldn't be this reliant on him.

diarm

Usually when someone spends an entire month making a fool of themselves, they would typically quietly shrink away in embarassment, but not you, you are a survivor! :rolleyes: Go ahead, double down on some other player.
My irony emoticon broke the rules so I'll just say it.

Irony.

Renegade81

Answer to Og post. Yes fully, he's pivotal to our recent upturn in form. But can we ban him from Freekicks seriously. Every time he steps up I'm playin the 'how close will the ball end up near De Gea game' after rebounding off the wall. Truly awful surely Pogba would have converted more than him.

Ji_Maria

My irony emoticon broke the rules so I'll just say it.

Irony.
Right. Imagine being in a pub, being THAT guy, spending each weekend in October and November telling his mates how worthless Zlatan is. You'd being getting shit at the pub right now and you know it. In fact, I reckon most people would be too embarrassed to show their face at that pub for a while. You know anybody like that? Because if you don't, it's probably you. But hey, it's the internet, so it's OK to say things online that you would never say in person :wenger:

The sad thing is, this is going to repeat itself again. He'll go off and find another player to write off and call a disaster. And the even worse part is, part of him probably actually hopes that the player fails just so he doesn't look like an arse after spending several months telling everyone how shit he is. Nobody likes to constantly hear from the same person how absolute garbage a player is, especially not after only a couple of months and especially not when that player has the potential to be our marquee player. It brings everyone down and negativity is infectious. Yeah once or twice, fine anyone can do it. But the above poster in a month or so had over 10 different posts in numerous threads telling people how crap Zlatan is. For some, one post saying "I was wrong" may suffice (not that he has even done that), but how does one positive post about a player undo months of negative bashing? But hey, if he wants to come and defend himself that's fine, he doesn't need you to babysit him. All he has done so far is giggle away like a child after months of slating his team. True Red that.

You know what is really ironic? This post. "Jose's big fat ego just won't allow him to swallow his pride and admit his mistake".

Last edited:

Witchking

Right. Imagine being in a pub, being THAT guy, spending each weekend in October and November telling his mates how worthless Zlatan is. You'd being getting shit at the pub right now and you know it. In fact, I reckon most people would be too embarrassed to show their face at that pub for a while. You know anybody like that? Because if you don't, it's probably you. But hey, it's the internet, so it's OK to say things online that you would never say in person :wenger:

The sad thing is, this is going to repeat itself again. He'll go off and find another player to write off and call a disaster. And the even worse part is, part of him probably actually hopes that the player fails just so he doesn't look like an arse after spending several months telling everyone how shit he is. Nobody likes to constantly hear from the same person how absolute garbage a player is, especially not after only a couple of months and especially not when that player has the potential to be our marquee player. It brings everyone down and negativity is infectious. Yeah once or twice, fine anyone can do it. But the above poster in a month or so had over 10 different posts in numerous threads telling people how crap Zlatan is. For some, one post saying "I was wrong" may suffice (not that he has even done that), but how does one positive post about a player undo months of negative bashing? But hey, if he wants to come and defend himself that's fine, he doesn't need you to babysit him. All he has done so far is giggle away like a child after months of slating his team. True Red that.

You know what is really ironic? This post. "Jose's big fat ego just won't allow him to swallow his pride and admit his mistake".
:lol:

Lentwood

It's a problem we have in general in England with writing off anybody over 30

Each player is different. Lads like Rooney who are stocky and prone to weight gain may find it tough but others are naturally much fitter, leaner and able to look after themselves for longer.

I understand that we need to be thinking about who takes over from Carrick and Zlatan but why should we assume they are finished at the end of this year? I could see both making a meaningful contribution well into their late 30s

Dobbs

I absolutely get where you're coming from but I have to add that it would be a bit odd to question the signing of the player who thus far has been involved in like 50% of our goals in total if we fail to achieve something worth of note. Especially when we got him for free as well.

I think the last few years have had a big effect on all of this, we simply don't "have the time" to start building a new team for the future which would/could see us go another few years without challenging for trophies. We're not bloody Liverpool ;)
It is a bit odd granted but I still think it's the case.

If we hadn't won the league in RvP's first season you'd have to question the signing no matter how good he was. Ultimately he wasn't much use for the next two years, the forward positions were overcrowded and a couple ended up leaving because of limited game time. We did win the league though so despite a few downsides it was well worth it.

I hope that's the case with Zlatan. If we get top four I think you can say a short term signing was worth it. If we don't I'd rather we spent that time developing the striker who'll be here when we're back kicking Madrid's arse.

Dobbs

Or, as mentioned earlier, that striker maybe never ends up good enough or when he is, decides to piss off to another club.
Well yeah future variables are unknown with younger players but if the club based all decisions on the possible negative outcome we'd never sign anyone.

Dobbs

Haha, exactly @Dobbs
Haha fair point. I did say "possible" negative outcome though. That's the difference. Pogba might bugger off to Madrid at some point. Where as we know for sure Zlatan won't be here in a couple of years. Hence the need from success now to justify the limitations of a short term signing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
How good do we think he'll be next season?

Haha fair point. I did say "possible" negative outcome though. That's the difference. Pogba might bugger off to Madrid at some point. Where as we know for sure Zlatan won't be here in a couple of years. Hence the need from success now to justify the limitations of a short term signing.
I think in football you need to always have one eye on now and one eye on the future. David Moyes' problem (and possibly LVG too) was neglecting the now.

And I also think a completely unfair way to develop Rashford would be to have him as sole first choice now, I mean, just look at the shit Zlatan got for going 6 games without a goal? That would happen to Rashford, probably even longer spells and the pressure put on him would be insane. I think the way we are developing Rashford now is much much fairer and productive for a 19 yr old kid.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The need for club success can't be dependent on how long a player stays.
If Martial stays at the club for 15 years and becomes our top goal scorer every season but we fail to win anything of note, I'm sure you would agree that it was still a great signing. I don't see why the same can't be said for someone who only stays for 1-2 years. I mean adding a player to your team that makes your team better can only be a positive thing no matter if you win anything or not. Otherwise all of this becomes far to hypothetical.
If you put better tires on a racing car that makes it go faster you can't say the change of tires wasn't justified if you don't win the race.

HoopsMcCann

Double edged sword. Certainly rare to get a top 5 striker on a free. He doesn't stretch the defence and, seems to me, to lose the ball more than he should. He's also 35.

The sharp side is he scores, brings an edge to the team and is a genetic freak.

He's also blocking Rashford and Martial, sort of. Long view though is better to have a WC striker for 2 yrs then turn the role over to an in house guy or go buy a stud. Had mufc grabbed a 28yr old this summer it may have meant blocking Rashford/Martial for years. This rambling assumes the young guys will develop into top players.