Has Zlatan deserved his contract extension?

Mr.Kaya

He needs to be out of the club by the start of next season.
Why so? You got a better option than him as a striker? Only Rashford/Martial would be a bit thin don't you think? They still very young aswell that's why it's great to have a player like Zlatan at our club.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Why so? You got a better option than him as a striker? Only Rashford/Martial would be a bit thin don't you think? They still very young aswell that's why it's great to have a player like Zlatan at our club.
I think he is doing more harm than good on the whole to be perfectly honest.

Mr.Kaya

I think he is doing more harm than good on the whole to be perfectly honest.
What harm is he actually doing in your eyes? Zlatan is still a classplayer which lots of qualities and has this aura around that not many players has.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
What harm is he actually doing in your eyes? Zlatan is still a classplayer which lots of qualities and has this aura around that not many players has.
All those missed chances, immobility up front, being undroppable, huge wages, endless supply of unnecessary flicks etc...

Mr.Kaya

All those missed chances, immobility up front, being undroppable, huge wages, endless supply of unnecessary flicks etc...
Well I'm sure quite sure that haven't seen the best side of Zlatan yet and there's much more to come. Obviously many of us head enormous expectations which he probably has yet to live up to, but theres mores to come for sure.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Of course, because there was such a huge queue of CL teams after him in the summer...

We are paying this guy around as much as Liverpool pay Lallana, Firminio and Coutinho combined.

He knows he's onto a good thing here which he won't get anywhere else, same as Rooney.
This is what irks me. It fecks up our wage scale, and it's undeserved.

We can do better for these wages.

I'm sure every single United fan would rather have Coutinho and Firmino than Zlatan. But further than that, we can do better than those two as well.

Our standards have dropped and we don't seem to realize that using our wealth as leverage is what will get us back to the top.

You wanna earn 300,000 a week? Sure, we can pay that, but set the bar high FFS.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, I guess that's too radical, but if I were the manager, I'd appoint a manager who will go total youth from the academy, who will kick out any old spoiled players like Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Schweinsteiger etc. if they don't perform on a regular basis. We are losing anyways, what's the point of keeping and playing old players who are basically mercenaries and have no future.

I'd also make contracts based on winning trophies. Base salary would be around 80000 for the highest paid players, once their win a trophy won, then the players will be given bonus that equals to (number of weeks X 50% of base salary).
which high profile player will come and play for 80000 ? We keep saying we are miles behind barca /RM /Bayern - do you have any idea how much do they pay Messi / Ronaldo / Neymar / Bale ? or even Aguero / Toure / Silva / hazard ?

even Bolasie might be getting 60-80k at Everton !

ash_86

He's the only potent striker we have. We need his services till we sign someone else

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On the upside, he is already on pace for about 25-27 goals in all comps despite being perceived as not putting away some of his chances. Once he improves his conversion rate he could wind up with 30 or more. Not bad for a 35 year old player on a free.

ash_86

giving the players a guard of honour a
Till we sign someone better... and only after he proves he is better for us!...
The problem is, we play with one striker at top. Even when we sign someone else, how can he prove himself if zlatan plays most of the time, Just like he kept Cavani at bay during his time at PSG. Everything points to the fact that Zlatan will be here the whole two years before anyone can get a proper look in.

Dobbs

On the upside, he is already on pace for about 25-27 goals in all comps despite being perceived as not putting away some of his chances. Once he improves his conversion rate he could wind up with 30 or more. Not bad for a 35 year old player on a free.
That's not an upside. It's a guess at what might happen over the next seven months.

Dobbs

Its an educated guess based on what we've seen so far, as opposed to a blind punt.
Not sure why we're guessing at all what he's going to score and even more unsure as to why we're using this guess as a positive right now.

"He could end up with 30 or more.Not bad for a 35 year old"

He's not done it yet! Let's hold back the congratulations.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure why we're guessing at all what he's going to score and even more unsure as to why we're using this guess as a positive right now.

"He could end up with 30 or more.Not bad for a 35 year old"

He's not done it yet! Let's hold back the congratulations.
Its based on his form of scoring 50 in 50 last year in France, as well as what he has already scored this year in just over a third of a season. All he has to do is slightly better his so called mediocre form and he will have a chance at 30, which is frankly what I expected of him when he came here.

Dobbs

Its based on his form of scoring 50 in 50 last year in France, as well as what he has already scored this year in just over a third of a season. All he has to do is slightly better his so called mediocre form and he will have a chance at 30, which is frankly what I expected of him when he came here.
I hope he does but quite a few posters, like yourself, are talking as if this goal tally is already written and has vindicated the decision to sign him. It's just a guess. It's like saying Martial will only get 6 this season and then criticising him for it.

Jaxdan

I hope he does but quite a few posters, like yourself, are talking as if this goal tally is already written and has vindicated the decision to sign him. It's just a guess. It's like saying Martial will only get 6 this season and then criticising him for it.

Nobody is saying anything of the sort, from what I've seen. Only extrapolating on what he's done so far and where he can potentially end up. It's an educated guess, like anything else. Hell who knows what tomorrow brings for anyone?

Dobbs

Nobody is saying anything of the sort, from what I've seen. Only extrapolating on what he's done so far and where he can potentially end up. It's an educated guess, like anything else. Hell who knows what tomorrow brings for anyone?
They really are. Quite a number, Raoul just a few posts up, talking about him scoring 30+ goals already being an upside.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm already happy with his performances so my view that he has a good chance of getting 30 is just an extrapolation of what he has already done.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They really are. Quite a number, Raoul just a few posts up, talking about him scoring 30+ goals already being an upside.
I said 25-30 goals on current pace, 30 if he improves his form and finishing. This is hardly unrealistic given his form over the past 12 months.

Ludens the Red

Complete nonsense. He was never expcted to match his 50 in 50 numbers at PSG in England. Even under the best scenarios, he was talked up to score about 30 goals in all comps, which he is more or less on pace to achieve especially if he starts putting away a few more chances.
Well it's not complete nonsense, It's funny because you were the actual person I got into a debate with in the Zlatan transfer thread when you were talking about his supposed Messi/Ronaldo figures. I spoke about his goals in France completely skewing his overall goal record and you weren't having it.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/zla...the-united-forum.410554/page-32#post-19122533

1. He is getting Ronaldo type numbers, as in 44 goals in 47 appearances this year, which is what we have come to expect from the likes of him and Messi.

2. Even if you think the French league is shite, we've already established that he has averaged 30 goals a year over several leagues and clubs, so he has been very effective over a protracted period of time. In fact, he has outperformed the likes of Suarez, Lewandowski, and every other top striker who has been active over the past decade.

Most people are in agreement that Ibra on a free would be a great deal for us for a couple of years, which would provide a dangerous end product we have been lacking and allow the likes of Martial and Rashford to gain a bit more experience. It would also allow us to justify buying another attacker like Griezmann, so all things said, there aren't really any valid counterarguments against proceeding.

1. Ronaldo has 47 in 44 this year, which is comparable to Zlatan's numbers.

2. Its only skewed because it doesn't jive with your anti-Ibra agenda. Most objective people would interpret it as him having been consistently effective at a high level for a protracted period of time in multiple leagues and multiple clubs. The common denominator being he scores feckloads of goals.
He is currently 34 and still racking up Ronaldo type numbers, so even if he scored 25 in England next year (rather than the 44 he currently has in France), it would still be an immense buy for us. He has a Cantona style verve that would easily take us to the next level and help all the younger players around him. Seems like a complete no brainer, especially as he would be here on a free.
Now to me that presents a very strong case that you believed this guy was going to get some seriously high goal-scoring figures. All that hype and not just from you but others, I was met with complete arseholeish responses to my genuine concerns.

I also like the back tracking in that last quote, hyping up ronaldo/messi figures then going onto say "if he gets 25 goals he'd be an immense buy".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well it's not complete nonsense, It's funny because you were the actual person I got into a debate with in the Zlatan transfer thread when you were talking about his supposed Messi/Ronaldo figures. I spoke about his goals in France completely skewing his overall goal record and you weren't having it.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/zla...the-united-forum.410554/page-32#post-19122533
Nothing I said there was not accurate. I never suggested Zlatan would get Messi/Ronaldo type numbers in England, just reiterated that his PSG numbers were comparable to both of them.

nick2004

The problem is, we play with one striker at top. Even when we sign someone else, how can he prove himself if zlatan plays most of the time, Just like he kept Cavani at bay during his time at PSG. Everything points to the fact that Zlatan will be here the whole two years before anyone can get a proper look in.
1. There aren't that many strikers better than Zlatan.
2. Actually we play with three strikers, sometimes with four (Zlatan, Rooney, Martial, Rashford).
3. We may watch those players once or twice per week but Mourinho watches them play every single day. And he evaluates them every single day.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
This is what irks me. It fecks up our wage scale, and it's undeserved.

We can do better for these wages.

I'm sure every single United fan would rather have Coutinho and Firmino than Zlatan. But further than that, we can do better than those two as well.

Our standards have dropped and we don't seem to realize that using our wealth as leverage is what will get us back to the top.

You wanna earn 300,000 a week? Sure, we can pay that, but set the bar high FFS.
We didn't pay one cent for his signature and you're acting like that is completely irrelevant and all that matters is the wage. Paying him £300k/week is the same as paying £15mil for the transfer and then giving him £10k/week.
So basically you are arguing that we could've gotten both Coutinho and Firmino for £15mil and then paid them £5k/week each but we chose Zlatan instead..