Has Zlatan deserved his contract extension?

SirScholes

We didn't pay one cent for his signature and you're acting like that is completely irrelevant and all that matters is the wage. Paying him £300k/week is the same as paying £15mil for the transfer and then giving him £10k/week.
So basically you are arguing that we could've gotten both Coutinho and Firmino for £15mil and then paid them £5k/week each but we chose Zlatan instead..
We would of paid him and his crook a huge signing on fee.

Right decision for this season but I don't want hi, here next year

tomaldinho1

Guessing the Ibra haters thought he was crap again tonight?

I just lolled at the comment saying he should be hitting Ronaldo/Messi figures - genuine rib tickler - sadly the person saying it wasn't joking...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
His link up play is very good. Well able to see a pass.

When he finally retires we must be looking for someone like him. Maybe even Rashford.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Think someone said it the match thread...he could, and should, have had 20 goals already this season an its not even December.

Even if he ups his conversion rate slightly he will be flying.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The whole team played well, including Zlatan.

But tonight's performance still contained a lot of the attributes that people dislike about his game.

It sounds a bit mad, but even tonight, while scoring 2 goals and getting an assist, he was still wasteful...
Who cares ? We won, he scored two goals and helped set up another. This isn't an Olympic figure skating competition where judges deduct points for every imperfect landing.

Man-United

But tonight's performance still contained a lot of the attributes that people dislike about his game.

It sounds a bit mad, but even tonight, while scoring 2 goals and getting an assist, he was still wasteful...
Are you still mad about the wages? Would it feel better with a £5M signing and £100.000/week instead?

Janson

Haha, priceless.

Jaxdan

Wow. We see different things. Before Martial scored his brace he just looked like he was getting in the way of the attack most times to me. :lol: Great to see him come through like he did. Rooney and Miky were very good all game I thought, most of the team was including Zlatan. The ref on the other hand sucked throughout.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Who cares ? We won, he scored two goals and helped set up another. This isn't an Olympic figure skating competition where judges deduct points for every imperfect landing.
Tonight, not me. I think he was great.

My reply was just an attempt to give an example of how others see his game, I think even if I was a big Zlatan fan, I'd be able to understand where others were coming from when responding to opinions based on his entire contribution to our game since joining.

Indeed, fans of other clubs he's been at (including at his peak) have experienced the exact same thing -

He ghosts in and out of games, something that has increased (and will continue to) as he's gotten older.
He drops deep and leaves no-one up front, something that has increased (and will continue to) as he's gotten older.
At his worst, he is wasteful
At his worst he's overly selfish

But, he can have games where all the above is true, and then he'll pop up with a goal!

And then, when he's on form, he's a very good player.

It's important to remember that the United fans who aren't keen on him being given another contract right now, are mainly saying, 'wait, make him really earn it'. They/We aren't saying, 'he's rubbish, he smells'.

On form, he's great, while still having gaps in his game that any 35 year old attacker would have. Off form, there are a handful of CFs in the PL who I'd rather have, let alone in World football.

Maybe that explains it better, I hope so, because tonight we should all be enjoying that game, result and semi-final draw, rather than squabbling, complaining, or resorting to 'I told you so's based on one game.

Rhyme Animal

Its the FM generation. They think the club's money is their money and they should therefore have a say in how its spent.
No. It's people concerned about the wage structure of the club.

You could reverse it and say that those who don't care are products of the FM generation, and have no care about the reality of the club's finances (I'm in my late 30s and haven't ever played FM btw!).

At the end of the day, those who do care about the wage structure do want what's best for the club - same as you. They just might have a different opinion on the best approach.

Ludens the Red

Guessing the Ibra haters thought he was crap again tonight?

I just lolled at the comment saying he should be hitting Ronaldo/Messi figures - genuine rib tickler - sadly the person saying it wasn't joking...
You'd do well to read more than just a line and take in the whole context of the discussion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No. It's people concerned about the wage structure of the club.

You could reverse it and say that those who don't care are products of the FM generation, and have no care about the reality of the club's finances (I'm in my late 30s and haven't ever played FM btw!).

At the end of the day, those who do care about the wage structure do want what's best for the club - same as you. They just might have a different opinion on the best approach.
Why not let the professionals at the club deal with that and just enjoy watching the football.

Jaybomb

He just oozes class. Delighted to see him score 2 tonight.

The media would just love him to be another Falcao. Sorry! isn't happening.

markhrad

I am not usually a fan of overly arrogant players but I like Zlatan. He is classy in so many ways and I know some may think that I am being sacrilegious but I think he is Cantonesque. The man has an aura about him and there is no doubt that when he is on that field you know that he can create something great at any time.
I enjoy watching our games now and I go into them thinking that we can/ will win and a lot that is due to Zlatan.

diarm

So after his first 20 games, amidst all this odd criticism, Ibrah isn't comparing too badly to our list of successful strikers over the last couple of decades.

Goals after their first 20 games:

Van Persie - 14
Van Nistelrooy - 13
Andy Cole - 13
Yorke - 12
Ibrahimovic - 11
Rooney - 9
Cantona - 9
Solskjaer - 9
Sheringham - 9
Rashford - 9
Tevez - 8
Saha - 7
Martial - 7

Considering he didn't cost us anything and brings some great experience and winning attitude to the table along with his goals, he's clearly more than merited his extension.

Rhyme Animal

Why not let the professionals at the club deal with that and just enjoy watching the football.
It's just the way some people think, I think it's natural in this day and age to have an opinion on things you can't change (24 News, people in U.K caring about USA election etc).

I'm sure there are (or have been) issues at the club where you've had an opinion that goes against what the suits have deemed the correct way. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

Likewise, you could apply the same advice to your own stance and say, 'why not just let other fans have their doubts while you enjoy watching the football'.

That's not actually my point, I get what you're saying, and I'll also add that I hope that by the season's end I'm in the 'keep Zlatan' camp.

The Wanderer

Last week we got that bombshell about Zlatan getting contact extension for another year and it is still November.

IMO that was very rushed statement, especially given his not so convincing performances, age and overall his status in the team.

EDIT: for the sake of comparison, Valencia who has been one of our best outfield players is yet to get his new contract despite his current one due to expire in June.

It was an automatic contract extension, due to appearances and goals etc.

Zlatan - the GOD of Manchester

JoaquinJoaquin

So after his first 20 games, amidst all this odd criticism, Ibrah isn't comparing too badly to our list of successful strikers over the last couple of decades.

Van Persie - 14
Van Nistelrooy - 13
Andy Cole - 13
Yorke - 12
Ibrahimovic - 11
Rooney - 9
Cantona - 9
Solskjaer - 9
Sheringham - 9
Rashford - 9
Tevez - 8
Saha - 7
Martial - 7

Considering he didn't cost us anything and brings some great experience and winning attitude to the table along with his goals, he's clearly more than merited his extension.
Agreed. He has 11 goals for us by the end of November which is pretty good going considering most were saying 20 goals for the season would be a success before the season started.

EyeInTheSky

We didn't pay one cent for his signature and you're acting like that is completely irrelevant and all that matters is the wage. Paying him £300k/week is the same as paying £15mil for the transfer and then giving him £10k/week.
So basically you are arguing that we could've gotten both Coutinho and Firmino for £15mil and then paid them £5k/week each but we chose Zlatan instead..
Why are you expecting logic or anything more than a flippant comment from these people?

EyeInTheSky

What about that pass yesterday? Now can you guys see the difference when he has Quality around him and people who actually make intelligent runs? The link up play between him and Mikhi was exquisite last night. I haven not seen that for a long long time at OT. Special mention for AV also who linked up beautifully with both of them. For the first time in ages that Right hand side has become a menace to our opponents rather than a liability for us.

Treble

My prediction for next season is that if westill rely on Zlatan and/or Rooney, we will struggle to make the top 4 again. Winning the title would be as impossible as it gets in football. It's reasonable to suggest that City, Chelsea and Liverpool will be even stronger than they are now.

Sign Auba or Griezmann. Or both of them.

EyeInTheSky

Agreed. He has 11 goals for us by the end of November which is pretty good going considering most were saying 20 goals for the season would be a success before the season started.
Yes and I think if he finishes some of the other chances he creates in the game he will do even better. It looks like he is not hitting the ball as cleanly or as hard as we have come accustomed to. He could easily have 3-5 more goals this season.

EyeInTheSky

My prediction for next season is that if westill rely on Zlatan and/or Rooney, we will struggle to make the top 4 again. Winning the title would be as impossible as it gets in football. It's reasonable to suggest that City, Chelsea and Liverpool will be even stronger than they are now.

Sign Auba or Griezmann. Or both of them.
This one is a keeper. See you next season.

EyeInTheSky

What do you expect from next season? Winning the title with Zlatan up front? Seriously?
I think its very easy to make a comment about something that is very hard to win even if you have any striker you want. The league is not guaranteed even for teams who have "stick your flavour of the month striker here".

Now tell us einstein :wenger: which striker do you think will win us the league next season (never mind that its not just a striker that wins anyone the league).

Treble

I think its very easy to make a comment about something that is very hard to win even if you have any striker you want. The league is not guaranteed even for teams who have "stick your flavour of the month striker here".

Now tell us einstein :wenger: which striker do you think will win us the league next season (never mind that its not just a striker that wins anyone the league).
I already said above.

What are your expectations for next season?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Van Persie - 14
Van Nistelrooy - 13
Andy Cole - 13
Yorke - 12
Ibrahimovic - 11
Rooney - 9
Cantona - 9
Solskjaer - 9
Sheringham - 9
Rashford - 9
Tevez - 8
Saha - 7
Martial - 7

Worth noting that the only strikers who would have created as many chances as he has, so far this season, are all below him on that list.

Treble

As I said above the league is not guaranteed for anyone. I expect us to challenge and maybe with an addition or 2 in defence and midfield we have a good a chance as anybody. I don't proclaim to have a crystal ball...
Good. Maybe I'm wrong to be sceptical about Zlatan's role next season.

Eurotrash

Happy to have him. We just shouldn't rely on him being the solution to all our problems. We need to have strong options up front.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's been very good. Imagine if he'd scored all those sitters, though... He'd be on around 17 or 18 goals in his first season in English football. I expect him to score at least 25-30 by the end of the season.