Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

We're going to learn the true importance of a thorough scouting department this summer, if we don't already know it. By all accounts ETH's targets are players that he has an experience of working with before. We've yet to be credibly linked with any outside the box signings.

We kind of have to get De Jong at this point (with Neves the back up being valued at 100m). It's anyone's guess who the other two signings will be, cannot see more than 3 happening with the abject pace we are moving at currently.
I suspect the bolded is proof our scouting dept is in transition/a bit rubbish. It’s a bit of a double edged sword for us this summer. Part of me wants to see ETH come in without buying loads of players and see him improve the team purely because he’s an actual coach but then that’s writing off this season when you look at our rivals. The fact he’s going for De Jong, Timber, Antony makes me think the club isn’t up to speed scouting wise to really help him. Basically we’re back to where we were with LVG (where he had to resort to buying players he worked with previously) albeit without a manager who was basically retired.

gregor

We'll chase FDJ for most of the summer and when it will become clear that he is not signing for United, we will pay way over the top for Tielemans.

MUFC OK

I suspect the bolded is proof our scouting dept is in transition/a bit rubbish. It’s a bit of a double edged sword for us this summer. Part of me wants to see ETH come in without buying loads of players and see him improve the team purely because he’s an actual coach but then that’s writing off this season when you look at our rivals. The fact he’s going for De Jong, Timber, Antony makes me think the club isn’t up to speed scouting wise to really help him. Basically we’re back to where we were with LVG (where he had to resort to buying players he worked with previously) albeit without a manager who was basically retired.
Yeah, two of our most senior scouts leaving (pretty sure they havent been replaced) pretty much confirms that. I think the club has nothing for him in terms of targets and so wer're going for players he knows he can work with.

Bissouma for example would be an obvious target for anyone who watched the PL week in/out but seems we were never interested. We're clearly determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past but the result is probably one where we sign obvious targets and may struggle to get value for money. In any case I'm not sure how some expect a manager to identify players himself when he job is to coach/manage which is incredibly time consuming.

The club have opted for Murtough as DoF and so the chances of us finding a thoroughly scouted gem are next to zero in my opninion.

romufc

We'll chase FDJ for most of the summer and when it will become clear that he is not signing for United, we will pay way over the top for Tielemans.
I am quite sure the decision on FDJ will be made within the next 2 weeks.

yamo123x

it would be interesting to see what exactly is going on terms of our transfer activity behind the scenes.

Matt Judge and 2 other snails, staying in lavish hotels dragging out transfers making a mockery out of our club and its business dealings.

Whilst Murtough sits in his office staring at the phone hour upon end waiting for some positive news. and Fletcher leaks it to the players who then leak it to the media

Its almost like one of those cartoons i see pop up when OLE used to be in charge

Telsim

Last two years on Caf:
1) "It is early June. Relax"
2) "We have time. More than a month left"
3) "Rivals also don't spend money. No need for panic"
4) "3 weeks left. We can sign at least two more players"
5) "Ed, you fecking sack of shit!"
Lets see will this change this year
:lol: :lol:

B-b-but you don't get it, this time it will be different! No, no, no, please, this time will be different! Don't you see how much things have changed!?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
:lol: :lol:

B-b-but you don't get it, this time it will be different! No, no, no, please, this time will be different! Don't you see how much things have changed!?
Nine years of incompetence in the transfer market just isn't enough for some people.

Sure, we may not know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but given how we've done things historically, the club hierarchy does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand why we can't work on couple of transfers at once. Especially on Timber and Antony (IF they are really targets). Ajax is not famous by being hard to negotiate. Not saying that they give players under the price but when they do transfers it is over quickly.

Of course that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes but there are no rumours for days. Except with De Jong but even that it is same news repeated over and over. (That Barca is willing to sell)

Telsim

I don't understand why we can't work on couple of transfers at once. Especially on Timber and Antony (IF they are really targets). Ajax is not famous by being hard to negotiate. Not saying that they give players under the price but when they do transfers it is over quickly.

Of course that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes but there are no rumours for days. Except with De Jong but even that it is same news repeated over and over. (That Barca is willing to sell)
It's exactly why this is worrying. Even Liverpool, as efficient as they are at both at keeping things under wraps and being quick with transfers, had a week between being linked with Nunez by reliable sources and getting a deal done. And we are good at neither of those things. But there barely any links whatsoever with anyone not named De Jong, and even if we get seriously linked with someone else right this minute it will be at least 2 weeks before they get settled in.

redsunited

Cant believe that we are not in for Bissouma.
Feels like we are back to Moyes-Woodward summer transfer window.
ETH has his trusted midfielder VDB already in team, so need for any Fellaini.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's exactly why this is worrying. Even Liverpool, as efficient as they are at both at keeping things under wraps and being quick with transfers, had a week between being linked with Nunez by reliable sources and getting a deal done. And we are good at neither of those things. But there barely any links whatsoever with anyone not named De Jong, and even if we get seriously linked with someone else right this minute it will be at least 2 weeks before they get settled in.
We’re heavily linked with De Jong, Antony, Torres and Timber. Plus Eriksen and the kid from Derby. How many more players do you want?

UpWithRivers

Cant believe that we are not in for Bissouma.
Feels like we are back to Moyes-Woodward summer transfer window.
ETH has his trusted midfielder VDB already in team, so need for any Fellaini.
Yeah Bissouma going for 25 mill feels like a kick in the teeth. I dont see who we will get for that kind pf price at that quality. Even if we sign De Jong Bissouma at 25 mill is a no brainer

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To brighten everybody's mood, here's some good news from the man in charge, not that long ago.

Please, don't kill me.

redsunited

Yeah Bissouma going for 25 mill feels like a kick in the teeth. I dont see who we will get for that kind pf price at that quality. Even if we sign De Jong Bissouma at 25 mill is a no brainer
Yeah, We need a defensively strong midfielder to replace Matic. Every top team has one. Bissouma would have been the best replacement for the price. De Jong is not similar player. De Jong replaces Pogba.

Telsim

We’re heavily linked with De Jong, Antony, Torres and Timber. Plus Eriksen and the kid from Derby. How many more players do you want?
That's just not true though, is it?

The Timber links dried up 2 weeks ago and last it sounded like he would need some convincing. There hasn't been anything on Torres either.

The Antony links indicate some interest from the club, but contact seems to not have happened yet. It's not even clear how much of it is genuine interest and how much it's media putting two and two together to generate clicks.

Eriksen links are frail at best. A lot lf it seems to be junk media throwing a wide net.

I'll grant you the Ebiowei link, which seems to hold some water

the_cliff

Not really bothered about the Bissouma signing to be fair.

I'm quite intrigued by this transfer window tbh. It is still early days and I do think the fans are a bit impatient as City, Liverpool and Spurs have all improved their teams. As long as ETH has his signings by the start of pre season i'll be happy.

Signing De Jong in 7-10 days and saving 10-15 mill when we're already on a limited budget is a good thing.

De Jong is our priority so I'm guessing we need to get that over the line to see how much we can afford to spend on the other areas. Once De Jong is signed I expect us to move quickly and bring in 2-3 more depending on our budget.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
What the hell are we doing spurs signing bissouma for 25 million . We are a joke prove me wrong though by all means

Zlatattack

Doesn't he have some sort of criminal charges hanging over him?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
That's just not true though, is it?

The Timber links dried up 2 weeks ago and last it sounded like he would need some convincing. There hasn't been anything on Torres either.

The Antony links indicate some interest from the club, but contact seems to not have happened yet. It's not even clear how much of it is genuine interest and how much it's media putting two and two together to generate clicks.

Eriksen links are frail at best. A lot lf it seems to be junk media throwing a wide net.

I'll grant you the Ebiowei link, which seems to hold some water
It is true. We met with Timber’s reps in London - this was widely reported. Romano has said we’re in discussions with Ajax. Two days ago Brazilian media broke we were in discussions with Antony and today sky are saying we’ve started initial contacts with Ajax. Plus De Jong. I don’t really know what more you want in terms of media speculation.

laughtersassassin

Think we have arguably one of the worst Midfields in the League.

Put FDJ in and it's still absolute shite.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Yeah, We need a defensively strong midfielder to replace Matic. Every top team has one. Bissouma would have been the best replacement for the price. De Jong is not similar player. De Jong replaces Pogba.
What the hell are we doing spurs signing bissouma for 25 million . We are a joke prove me wrong though by all means
We are done.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Define "heavily linked"? Only De Jong goes in that category. For others it was just bs rumours

RonaldoVII

Someone wants to be negative for the sake of it. It's obvious we're signing at least one midfielder this summer so why cry about the state of our midfield at this very minute?

laughtersassassin

Someone wants to be negative for the sake of it. It's obvious we're signing at least one midfielder this summer so why cry about the state of our midfield at this very minute?
Atleast one Midfielder would be factually still a terrible Midfield.

Think it goes to show how bad the club is run? Potentially worse than ever really.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Define "heavily linked"? Only De Jong goes in that category. For others it was just bs rumours
Timber - Romano, Schrager, Telegraf, other Dutch media have all said we want timber, have met with timber’s reps and he is deciding his future. He may stay due to doubts over starting.

Antony - Brazilian media, the times, Romano, sky have all said we want Antony in the last 2 days.

So no. Not bullshit sources at all. If any of De Jong, Antony, Timber, Torres, Eriksen or the Derby kid were signed this week not a single person can say it came out of nowhere. So this “we’re not linked with anyone thus aren’t close to signing anyone” is nonsense. The same names are coming up constantly.

gorky_utd

Where are the outgoings? AWB, Dean Henderson etc could have generated a good amount of fund. Pre season starts in 2 weeks and nothing has changed apart from the free agents leaving.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Where are the outgoings? AWB, Dean Henderson etc could have generated a good amount of fund. Pre season starts in 2 weeks and nothing has changed apart from the free agents leaving.
We won't be making any signing that walk straight into the starting xi.

tomaldinho1

The flip side is we haven't had a coach who utilised the CMs in possession at all so our players have been allowed to develop awful habits, hot potato with every ball being the worst of them.

FDJ I just can't see coming here, there's no guarantee we'll be in the CL next season and he's clearly happy at Barca. Unless he's forced out I don't see it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Just wondering: those here who are calling for patience etc and saying deals will get done - just when will you start to worry that the news look "suits" are pretty much the same as the old-look suits? Spurs have now completed three deals and they were miles ahead of us last season. City are so far ahead that we might as well forget getting any closer than we did in May. And they are still looking at other players. Same with Liverpool.

So just when will you start to worry?

PS this is not to start an argument. I'd genuinely like to know what date you'll agree with those of us who are already concerned. Or after how many missed signing. But if you're one of those who don't think we need anyone at all.... well, I give up

Ranchero

The question is, why have you all decided that the club has failed to buy players when none of you know what the manager and the club has been working on? It is fine to be frustrated if we publicly knew that the manager has set his targets but we have absolutely no information whatsoever. We also cannot rule out that the existing squad might be improved under the manager. ETH has been looking at this club for a long while and he has an idea on how to work with the squad. Let's be patient.
Maybe keep your ear to the ground and you may discover where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.