Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskeano

De Jong
Antony
Sesko

The only question is money. These types of signing sagas piss me off. If the player wants to come and the only question is about paying the money....

Pay the price and move on. Get these 3 in and start the season positively.

De Jong and Antony make us better instantly as it allows us to bench Fred and Rashford with Sancho being able to play from the right.

Sesko has the opportunity to play understudy to Ronaldo for one season or even replace him right now.

Who else can offer a young player that opportunity now. We should be all over these 3 signings unless there are even better candidates.
that 3 would be an outstanding close to the window but not going to have if Ajax have jacked up that price to 100m

then you're looking more like
de Jong
Diaby/Moussa
Sesko

Irwin99

Personally I still think the addition of de Jong or someone of his quality would make this a good window (although right back, RW, and striker are big problems) and i'm just hoping the Ronaldo issue can be put to bed and he can give us a year as a stop gap striker before he fecks off and we get a proper replacement.

This battle between the 'top reds' vs 'negative moaners' is becoming annoying and actually I think it's the former that's often coming off the worst in these arguments. Yes there are a few posts that go way too far in terms of their moaning and they should be called out but expressing legitimate concern after what was pretty much our worst premier league season ever is not moaning for the sake of it. We have a fantastic and highly rated manager who seems a great guy but some people seem to be expecting him to perform miracles with this squad as it is. Top 4 is still a huge ask in my opinion even though I'm actually quite excited about the signings we've made.

The whole 'this side finished second a year back so it can't be that bad' argument is hollow and I'm certain everyone knows it. We got there playing a very specific way (low block, rapid counter) that suited certain players and which we're not going to be playing from now on. We need more quality players, and I hope we get one or two more before the window closes.

Smores

Neither does constant moaning.
You don't have to like the subject of others conversations or their opinions but it's genuine discussion. Being the grumpy git in the corner moaning about others conversations is not.

The quicker the mods realise the source of toxicity the better. Used to be people would ounter opinion now its just accusations of moaning.

bosskeano

if we can add de Jong to this window then i'd say it was as a solid window for ETH.....but knowing what we needed going into the window and what has taken place so far this summer, it's a bit disappointing.

all that said, the window doesn't close for another month and ETH seems content on playing the waiting game wiht Frenkie full well knowing Barca won't be able to register those players in Spain until they make a move to ship out his wages

NZT-One

You don't have to like the subject of others conversations or their opinions but it's genuine discussion. Being the grumpy git in the corner moaning about others conversations is not.

The quicker the mods realise the source of toxicity the better. Used to be people would ounter opinion now its just accusations of moaning.
Very well said...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We still need to sign a CM/DM and a RWF to meet my minimum expectation for this summer.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah and a RB if we can loan AWB because no one will take him permanently
Preferably so but I'd leave RB for next summer. We can't have everything done in one window.

In next summer I'd expect us to get CF, RB, GK and probably another DM too (I don't trust McFred).

Dr. StrangeHate

Preferably so but I'd leave RB for next summer. We can't have everything done in one window.

In next summer I'd expect us to get CF, RB, GK and probably another DM too (I don't trust McFred).
If we don't get atleast one forward (CF or RW), season is going to look a bit bleak.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we don't get atleast one forward (CF or RW), season is going to look a bit bleak.
Yes but unfortunately there are not many options left for us in this window.

RW
Anthony - 100m - Ajax has totally priced him out of the market, 0 chance we would get him this summer.
Dembele - 50-60m? - thought he has just recently extend his contract with Barca, but with Raphinha joining Barca maybe he should consider leaving. PSG bound though.
Asensio - 35m? - I think we should consider going for him, with his contract expiring in a year, and he is no longer a starter in Real Madrid.

FW
Benjamin Sesko - 50m - young and promising, but he only has 5 goals in 24 games in Austrian league last season, not sure if he is ready for PL yet, plus he is overpriced too.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Ajax demanding 100m euros for Antony is BS, he is worth 40-50m euros + 10 in add ons, put that on the table and Ajax wont risk them having a bad year with some key players already left and a new trainer and all suddenly they wont might not even have an offer for him next summer near that size. No one else is in a need of RW besides us really right now in Europe, maybe Chelsea but they are focused on others thing and have not even been linked with Antony. The reason we had to pay so much for Martinez was because Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern, Juventus, Arsenal and us were or are all in need of a at lest one CB, not saying all of them were after Martinez but there are not that many young CBs available - and those who were they all cost more then Martinez or in the same range (De Ligt 25m more, Kounde about the same money, Koulibaly is 31 (7 years older) 14m less, Bremer 10m less etc) and then we have rumors about PSG willing to pay 60-70m for Skriniar for example. Many clubs needed to add 1-2 CBs this year and have done so, and all payed +/- 20m the same amount as us - not comparing who is the best of all the defenders just talking about the market.

RW - just sitting here thinking without making any research I cant think of one "big club" that would need a RW as much as we do, maybe Chelsea but as mentioned they want a CB and striker much more then invests that kind of money (50m on Antony - not even to mention 100m).

I think ETH wanted to try out Pallestri, Elanga, Amad - and i believe that today showed him that we without Sancho on the pitch are in big problems when it comes to our LW/RW postions - Rashford is still there to fight for a starting place, but none of the others are if we want to fight for the top 4 positions.

We need a RW, and we need one BADLY - Dembele for "free" (his sign on, agent fee and wager would probably be more expensive then sign Antony for 50-60m) would have been a great additon but i dont think that he would even consider leaving Barcelona and join us, he was waiting for PSG to come to him with a huge offer which didnt happen and signed again with Barcelona, even though they signed Raphina (we should have been our target number 1 for the RW position). I cant think of one other RW that would see it as step in the right direction in his carrier, more willing and motivated and that is available for us then Antony (also not to mention that he would need to much time to sattle in and he is already familiar with what ETH demands from him as a RW and could already start against Brighton next week if make fast move and get it done this week).

We paid Ajax good money for VDB, Martinez and a bid around 50-55 + 10 add ons would be good enough, i am more then sure about that. Of course they will not go out and tell it to the media that "oh if someone offer us 50m for Antony we would be more then happy to let him go" - but in reality we have a good relationship with them and specially VDS so the deal would go smoothly if we just for once can stop playing mind games and get a deal sorted out quick.

(FDJ we will have keep Barcelona sweating until they realize that they wont be able to register Kounde, Lewandowski, Raphina etc if FDJ doesnt take the huge salary cut, which he wont, or if they dont tell him that he is not longer wanted/needed and needs to leave.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This club never learns does it! - Even Arsenal have had a better window. They don’t deserve to be successful. Yes we have added a few good players but we are still massively short!
Forest have had a better window in terms of who they can afford... bloody Cardiff have bought more players than us!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Was it Einstein who said doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome was the definition of madness? Going into a game next week with a team so similar to the one at Palace a few months ago - one of the most embarrassing United performances in more than 30 years - will bring the same outcome next May

JuriM

Getting more and more hints of different young Bundesliga players. So we definitely are looking for additions in the attacking department and looking to loan out someone of the Amad/Pellistri selection.

Ted Lasso

What's the total spend so far? £70M? Expecting quite a bit of activity in the next several weeks.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We need numbers in midfield. Even if we signed Frenkie, we'd need another player capable of playing DM to add depth there and after watching Garner render his best Cleverley impression yesterday, he's far from the answer. A back up right back if Wan Bissaka leaves and right winger are other holes.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Don't really want players to join when the season has already started. Especially as we've had weeks upon weeks to get stuff sorted.
They'll be joining during the season either way at this stage though. Sign someone this afternoon and they aren't starting Sunday.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think it's pretty appalling that we haven't signed either a right winger or a midfielder by now. We've got a new manager in and we haven't backed him. Yeah we're waiting on FDJ, but at the start of the window I would have still expected us to bring in another DM/CM as well as him.

It's quick math - but if we get FDJ for the reported agree fee, we'll have spent roughly £120m on our four players - same as Arsenal and Spurs have spent this year. But considering we a) have a new manager b) we make more money then both of those clubs and c) the savings we've made on wages for the season (between Pogba, Cavani, Matic, Mata and Lingard it must equate to at least £40m-£50m for the year no?), surely we should be looking to spend more?

The Irish Connection

100%

Jacko21

I think it's pretty appalling that we haven't signed either a right winger or a midfielder by now. We've got a new manager in and we haven't backed him. Yeah we're waiting on FDJ, but at the start of the window I would have still expected us to bring in another DM/CM as well as him.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever really been a suggestion that we would sign FDJ + another DM/CM?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever really been a suggestion that we would sign FDJ + another DM/CM?
Nah none at all - it's just what I assumed would happened at the end of last season.

I suppose if we've bought Eriksen to play as a CM alongside a Bruno then we sort of have... but I'm not sure we will?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So... the hierarchy is happy to finish sixth again. Has the match day thread opened yet for people to say we are going to win 12-0?

Jacko21

Nah none at all - it's just what I assumed would happened at the end of last season.

I suppose if we've bought Eriksen to play as a CM alongside a Bruno then we sort of have... but I'm not sure we will?
Based on what has been purported from early June onwards, ETH was targeting 5 signings - a CB, FB, CM, AM and a winger/forward. He's got 3 of those and FDJ and Antony would be the fourth and fifth respectively. 5 signings ought to become 7 though if Ronaldo leaves and Laird and AWB depart.

The FDJ saga I can sort of understand - integral to ETH, this may be our best opportunity to sign him, Barca politics etc. But as with FDJ, it seems like it's Antony or bust too - so I'm not sure why a deal wasn't struck early in the window.

croadyman

Based on what has been purported from early June onwards, ETH was targeting 5 signings - a CB, FB, CM, AM and a winger/forward. He's got 3 of those and FDJ and Antony would be the fourth and fifth respectively. 5 signings ought to become 7 though if Ronaldo leaves and Laird and AWB depart.

The FDJ saga I can sort of understand - integral to ETH, this may be our best opportunity to sign him, Barca politics etc. But as with FDJ, it seems like it's Antony or bust too - so I'm not sure why a deal wasn't struck early in the window.
Thing is we needed a RB not LB

Dominos

Inexplicably, no.

The logical assessment would have been, we've lost Matic/Pogba and we know Fred/Mctominay aren't good enough. Let's sign 2 CM's to partner alongside Bruno. But that would be a bit too logical for this club.

Currently we're looking at a season of one of Fred or Mctominay starting every week alongside De Jong. That's assuming we're actually fortunate enough to get De Jong over the line.

Jacko21

Thing is we needed a RB not LB
Malacia seemed like a case of opportune timing though. ETH was already keen, he looked set leave Feyenoord this summer and the price was good. If he'd of gone somewhere else and impressed, then you're looking at a hefty transfer fee next summer or beyond.

It'd be different if it was a really expensive transfer that resulted in funds being diverted away from a priority position. At £15m, even United should recoup that this summer and it shouldn't prevent the club from signing a RB if desired.

Vapor trail

The news about FDJ is worrying from Luckhurst's recent report being De Jong or bust. If that's the club's position then Murtough should pay the extra 12 or so million so Barcelona can reimburse the player his wages.

Its not Barca that look desperate in these negotiations it's United, how everything can hinge on one midfielder is quite ridiculous. Thus far it's been a poor window when you objectively assess what this team needs coming off the worst league campaign since the Premier League era. Woodward has seemingly been made to be a scapegoat and his dismissal offering up some type of reconciliation to a period of sustainability but the results thus far do not agree with this view.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"We still have one month left"- last stage of denial that we managed to screw another transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.