Have we significantly improved since we got rid of LVG?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The commentators on NBC or whatever channel it was made a good point, saying do we actually work on attacking moves, or just let the players do what they fancy!

Makes you wonder at times!
Why is there not a single journalist who can ask such a question to José directly ? This is an important matter, maybe the most important one.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yes. People could really do well to actually remember that last LvG season.

How we went out of the CL, finished outside the Top 4. It was truly shit.

We've definitely improved.
Think we have definitely improved. Van Gaal finished 5th in a season when Leicester won the league and was arguably the worst Premier League in terms of actual quality. The other point is I think most people would have said we have definitely improved if you had asked them before the Leicester match.

Not sure we have significantly improved overall though as we are now looking to try and scrape a top 4 finish most likely.

redIndianDevil

I think the thread should be renamed as "Have we even slightly improved since we got rid of LvG?"

rpitchfo

I wanted to kill myself under LVG. Most consistently boring football we have ever played. We are better, no doubt about that. But have we made progress? It's a strange question but what I think I mean is that we are better because we are more pragmatic. Not better in a footballing sense but a better "by numbers" type of approach. We have simply stopped trying to play football in a way LVG would recognise it. I don't think that's what people wanted to see. I think most of us admired LVGs purist approach we just wanted the next couple of steps. Jose took us away from that, it was always going to make us slightly "better" but I don't think it's what any of us were asking for.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Football is fickle game. I started to a tread backing Jose a couple weeks ago but it's increasingly difficult after the shit we've been served up.

To answer your question - I think there has been a marginal improvement and he was a right appointment but I'm not so sure now if he can take us much further. I just dont see what could change.

C'est Moi Cantona

You forget quite how bad we were under LvG (in the main), this is better for sure, but still miles off where we need to be, and imo no way Jose is getting us there.

dove

16!

Crikey we were boring under him.
Not sure whether you are serious (probably not based on your username) but yeah, we were boring under LVG and it's nowhere near as bad now as it was under him where 9 times out of 10 you could guess a score right (0-0).

R'hllor

Said in another thread, what pisses me the most is that our way of play under LvG is actually his idea or view how it should be played. Boring in final third, sticking to positions even if bombs falling on the pitch etc. This on other hand isnt on purpose.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I think this season is starting to fall to the level we saw in 14/15 which is likely to best season of football we have seen since SAF left. But lets not forget we scored 49 goals in 15/16 .

I hope Mourinho goes back on the January signings statement and we sign some much needed quality. Still a lot to play for before we judegments. 3 games ago, things werent so bad. 3 good games and our opinions can change.

vangagal

Even if Jose get sack at the end of season, i still prefer his. Nothing top LVG's 2nd season in boringness award. It was sleeping pills a season long.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Of course yes, this place has a memory of gold fish.

We were absolutely terrible under van Gaal, we scored 2 goals in first half of football at home under him in his final season at this point in PL. 49 goals in total, we only need to score 6 more to surpass that tally.

In Europe we failed to get out of a group containing PSV, Basel and Wolfsburg. What the feck are you guys on about?

liamp

How are we better than LVG?
Compared to LVG, I think Mourinho has made it easier for the next manager to churn the squad. We haven't seen too many contract extensions being given out, and most of the fringe players on the squad are expiring either this year or next.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The commentators on NBC or whatever channel it was made a good point, saying do we actually work on attacking moves, or just let the players do what they fancy!

Makes you wonder at times!
Wish our stupid press would ask that question.

Jose really needs to get someone in for that. That's why I think we need to hire a very diplomatic sporting director/DOF or whatever they're called. Someone to make suggestions to him without him getting all offended. Ed doesn't have the knowledge to even broach that subject.
We need to hire world class coaches before we think of getting players imho.

Jazz

Why is there not a single journalist who can ask such a question to José directly ? This is an important matter, maybe the most important one.
Agreed!

Art Vandelay

We've improved, unfortunately a lot of teams have improved at a faster rate than us. Partly due to Van Gaal's complete mismanagement of the squad. We're by no means perfect and Mourinho has questions to answer, but we are going in the right direction. At least we were before the last month, but hopefully that's a blip.

Mind you I'd consider someone taking a dump on the pitch to be better than what LVG put us through, so my perspective might be schewed.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Some old remnants and habits are still there but much more moments of joy than in 2014. Improvement is real but not sufficient just yet as other clubs in PL upping their game on the pitch and outside almost constantly. Winning Europa League with unbalanced team can be tricky but I think Mourinho did quite good.

Quite good but with obvious problems that require also backing of the board.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We are better than LVG because we can actually get a shot on target. Although tonight was a horrible throwback. Considering the money we've spent we have barely moved forward at all. Players like Martial have gone backwards.

RedIke

Easy yes for me. Some are acting like petulant millennials. Fire every person ever, after every result ever.

A run of very shit results. But Leicester was a fluke after completely out playing them. And the other draw was a good fight back, although still not good enough. Today was the worst, and form is off.

But to say they're hasn't been improvement after 2 trophies, and final 16 of the CL is just complaining to complain. This season ended after the loss to City. I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Top 3 finish and play for the cups.

Chicharo

To be frank, sometimes it seems as if we were still managed by him. Very poor in the final third, bunch of crosses that bring nothing, lack of ideas...
Very similar to what we played under LVG

Bear Attack

Ah. The revision begins.

Yes, we have significantly improved. We no longer play that self-parodic backwards game. There's much better movement and much better ideas. Since the City game though, we have totally gone to shit. No composure defensively and no grit offensively. Slightest application of pressure on our attackers and they drop a bollock.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
We have improved, not by much though. Mourinho is better than van Gaal in the same way van Gaal was better than Moyes. Overall that's not good enough though. We had a good start and showed a difference in mentality here and there. We haven't beat anyone impressive in the EL last year nor the CL this year, but still we made it as far as we could. Under LvG we has an easy CL group too and still failed. That said LvGs peak level in some big games was better than anything I saw from Jose's United. When his posession tactics worked it was good to watch, but he was way too restricted for his own good. It still shows me that this approach can work, but you need a more balanced, modern and less stubborn manager for it.

Treble

There has been some improvement (how significant time will show) but the improvement is down to having better players and hardly to managing them better.

Had LVG had Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, etc. he wouldn't have done any worse.

Minimalist

We have improved, not by much though. Mourinho is better than van Gaal in the same way van Gaal was better than Moyes. Overall that's not good enough though. We had a good start and showed a difference in mentality here and there. We haven't beat anyone impressive in the EL last year nor the CL this year, but still we made it as far as we could. Under LvG we has an easy CL group too and still failed. That said LvGs peak level in some big games was better than anything I saw from Jose's United. When his posession tactics worked it was good to watch, but he was way too restricted for his own good.
Juanfield was awesome.

Best performance (for me) since Ferguson retired. Stubborn as he was, when his plan worked, it was glorious.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Another knee-jerk. Gotta love this place.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Areas we have improved.. more likely to grind out results (despite recent lack of results), more likely to score goals in general (less restricted in attack), very hard to beat (we're more lucky under Jose I feel, and generally I never feel like we're likely to lose whereas under LVG, never had that same confidence). More likely to win trophies. Don't feel as bored, but still feel miserable watching us.

Area's where we have regressed or stayed the same.. width/wing play, defending (don't really feel we're that much better defensively, just feels like we're more lucky with not conceding despite giving lots of chances away), hoofing and ability to keep ball vs better sides.

Overall I definitely feel we are better than under LVG but the improvement is still too minimal to be of substance. We need a radical overhaul in terms of playing style, and personel and don't think Jose has had the desired impact yet.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Juanfield was awesome.

Best performance (for me) since Ferguson retired. Stubborn as he was, when his plan worked, it was glorious.
We also had a great game at home vs City beating them 3-1

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yes we have. We're doing a lot better in Europe and are in a comfortable league position. The form is poor at the moment but the season isn't overall like they both were under LvG. This Southampton game was a typical LvG match.

vidic blood & sand

Mourinho is a hit and miss manager. It worked with Porto, then Chelsea 1st time, and really worked with Inter.
Was always second best to Pep at Real, did great initially returning to Chelsea, and then lost the dressing room.
At United he's been the most ineffective, and it may have a lot to do with the tradition of the club that demands attacking entertaining football.

I just do not feel that his tactical approach will ever be accepted by red blooded United fans. We want flair and love the unexpected, it's what we've been weaned on.

Entertaining players don't generally like Mourinho.

Jazz

Juanfield was awesome.

Agreed, loved Juanfield. A really good dominant performance.

I wonder why he couldn't get us to consistently perform like this? It's a bloody shame as I think he had the right ideas but no consistency in the execution.