Film Hayao Miyazaki - The Studio Ghibli and other anime films

032Devil

Anybody with a better knowledge about his films than I? Could you recommend any other anime films? The first one I saw was 'Akira' which I thought was quite brilliant and a revelation and a contrast to the American Disney and Dreamworks animations (great in their own way).

I've only seen a few of his films like 'Princess Mononoke', 'Spirited Away', and 'Kiki's Delivery Service'.

I thought the first two films were brilliant but I'm hesitant to buy as my knowledge is poor on this genre.

Recommendations?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Just work your way through the Ghibli films. There's a lot there between Miyazaki and Takahata. (Just to let you know - you've already seen the best that Miyazaki has to offer with Mononoke and Spirited Away, but every film is worth the effort.)

Then you'll have Otomo, Satoshi Kon, Rintaro, Oshii, Watanabe etc. waiting for you.

CircusMonkey

My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Paprika, Ghost in the Shell, Howls Moving Castle,
Ergo Proxy (series).

Scrumpet

There are no words
I watched Princess Mononoke the other day and enjoyed it so I think I'll start working my way through a fair few of his films.

A question though, I watched a dubbed version, is it far better to watch a subbed version of the original or does it not make too much of a difference?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I watched Princess Mononoke the other day and enjoyed it so I think I'll start working my way through a fair few of his films.

A question though, I watched a dubbed version, is it far better to watch a subbed version of the original or does it not make too much of a difference?
The dubbed versions of his films are usually of very good quality so it doesn't really matter imo. I'd watch all other animes subbed though.

Zen

Hayao pretty overrated in the western world really. He still a huge influence of course.....but outside of his stuff, Vampire Hunter, Metropolis, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Bebop The Movie...I don't know any recent ones, I stopped with Anime long time ago.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
You need to see Akira and Ghost in the Shell too.

Spirited Away is probably the best 'childrens' anime.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I disliked Spirited Away. Admittedly partly because everyone kept telling me how amazing it was, only for it to turn out to be very much a rather standard, if admiribly bonkers children's film. Not that there's anything wrong with kids films, but it doesn't even have the wit or poignance of the best kind of kids films that people usually fawn over. Thus I find some of the adult fawning over it verging slightly into the pretentious if I'm honest. There's very little there for anyone over 12. Apart from it being culturally different to what we're used to. If If it'd been made by Disney it woudn't have gotten half the gushing praise. I didn't even think the animation was that good.

Mononoke is a great film though. And Akira is a masterpiece.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Hayao pretty overrated in the western world really. He still a huge influence of course.....but outside of his stuff, Vampire Hunter, Metropolis, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Bebop The Movie...I don't know any recent ones, I stopped with Anime long time ago.
Satoshi Kon must be the most influential one in recent years.

Some other brilliant, more experimental/psychedelic ones: Angel's Egg, Cat Soup, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Memorizu, The End of Evangelion

Art

Art the artist
Is there an Anime thread or is this The Anime thread for all anime related discussion. Always wanted to start an anime thread as I watch a lot of anime. Got to meet Shirow Masamune at Monstapalooza recently :D

Art

Art the artist
You need to see Akira and Ghost in the Shell too.

Spirited Away is probably the best 'childrens' anime.
Design wise that was Masamune Shirow's brainchild :D

One of my idols in the art-world.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I disliked Spirited Away. Admittedly partly because everyone kept telling me how amazing it was, only for it to turn out to be very much a rather standard, if admiribly bonkers children's film. Not that there's anything wrong with kids films, but it doesn't even have the wit or poignance of the best kind of kids films that people usually fawn over. Thus I find some of the adult fawning over it verging slightly into the pretentious if I'm honest. There's very little there for anyone over 12. Apart from it being culturally different to what we're used to. If If it'd been made by Disney it woudn't have gotten half the gushing praise. I didn't even think the animation was that good.

What took me away when I watched it and many others too I'd imagine, was the sheer imaginative scope of the film. It was the first serious anime film I watched and hadn't really seen anything like it before (it's often the first anime film people get introduced to). It's possible that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I'd seen it later on.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I had never seen Akira before so I watched it, although I sort of ruined it for myself because I watched the first half of it drunk and found myself zoning out when the scientists or military people were talking. I'll have to watch it all through again soon enough because the second half was great.

On the other hand I might have been better off not seeing it as then I wouldn't be enraged if they ever manage to do the live-action remake they've been talking about for years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Spirited Away isn't a film with much dialogue. Aren't you the type that generally prefers those films? There's little talking throughout the film

I really liked it. Not my favorite Miyazaki film. Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausica and the Valley of the Wind. Spirited Away just broke the barrier to make him somewhat popular in the west and is generally the first film of his that people see and therefor gets the biggest attention. The most talked about film isn't always the best.

My Neighbour Totoro I thought was more kiddish films and I've generally heard it being the favorite among the females. They like these big cuddly creatures I guess.

Haven't seen anyone recommend Tokyo Godfathers. I picked that up dirt cheap in some DVD sale way back. Really enjoyed it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Time to revive some anime love. I like my anime adult but with a good storyline.

Devilman was my first and probably still my favourite 'series' (only two episodes, wtf!). Have seen Princess Mononoke and was very impressed. Hellboy 2 had more meaning after watching Mononoke.

Last week someone recommended Elfen Lied, and I've finished the 13 episodes that were made. Reasonably good. Anyone got any similar recommendations after witnessing my taste?

(No Spirited Away, Akira or such sh*t please. Prefer adult material. Thanks).

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Indeed, Akira is something else in terms of brilliance.

Saliph

Nagareboshi Gin (Silver Fang) is my favorite series. It's fecking cool.

Too bad the English subs are somewhat shit.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Time to revive some anime love. I like my anime adult but with a good storyline.

Devilman was my first and probably still my favourite 'series' (only two episodes, wtf!). Have seen Princess Mononoke and was very impressed. Hellboy 2 had more meaning after watching Mononoke.

Last week someone recommended Elfen Lied, and I've finished the 13 episodes that were made. Reasonably good. Anyone got any similar recommendations after witnessing my taste?

(No Spirited Away, Akira or such sh*t please. Prefer adult material. Thanks).
Cowboy Bebop series & movie + Ghost in the Shell films & series are probably the pinnacles of adult anime.

Monster is a masterpiece. A psychological, Hitchcockian thriller series.

Wolf's Rain is brilliant too.

Kaos

Watch the two Ghost in the Shell movies, very mature cyberpunk themes reminiscent of Blade Runner and The Matrix - heck the Wachowski brothers actually credited the first GITS movie as being a major influence for the Matrix films. I'd also recommend the Armitage III OVAs if you like a bit more cyberpunk/sci-fl in your anime.

Also I'm surprised 'Howl's moving castle' hasn't yet been mentioned in a Miyazaki thread. It's probably not 'adult-like' nor do I think as good as Princess Mononoke, but still pretty damn good I thought.

Edit: Good call on Monster R.Nillson7! Fantastic anime series if you have the Stamina for the 80 or so episodes. Death Note is probably well worth a watch too if we're considering anime series.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Watch the two Ghost in the Shell movies, very mature cyberpunk themes reminiscent of Blade Runner and The Matrix - heck the Wachowski brothers actually credited the first GITS movie as being a major influence for the Matrix films. I'd also recommend the Armitage III OVAs if you like a bit more cyberpunk/sci-fl in your anime.

Also I'm surprised 'Howl's moving castle' hasn't yet been mentioned in a Miyazaki thread. It's probably not 'adult-like' nor do I think as good as Princess Mononoke, but still pretty damn good I thought.

Edit: Good call on Monster R.Nillson7! Fantastic anime series if you have the Stamina for the 80 or so episodes. Death Note is probably well worth a watch too if we're considering anime series.
Have you seen the Ghost in the Shell series? I think I actually prefer them to the films.

Howl's decent but a bit overrated. Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky are way better.

I completely forgot Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal. Rurouni Kenshin and Fullmetal Alchemist are probably my favourite animes ever.

Kaos

Have you seen the Ghost in the Shell series? I think I actually prefer them to the films.

Howl's decent but a bit overrated. Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky are way better.

I completely forgot Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal. Rurouni Kenshin and Fullmetal Alchemist are probably my favourite animes ever.
Yeah I've seen both the SAC 1 and 2 and yeah I think they're better than the films. But I interpreted Dumbstar's post as looking for movies so I didn't think they were worth mentioning, and since the movies aren't really linked to the series he can watch them first and then decide if its worth investing into the series too.

FMA is brilliant, I actually thought it was very well dubbed too :nervous:

Mockney

I found the first Ghost in the Shell unsatisfying. It seemed to sort of stop just as the story was really taking off...Is it worth watching the others?

Kaos

Perhaps, as with any other anime series its not confined to a 2hr movie format, allowing it sufficient time to develop over dozens of episodes. Did you enjoy the initial parts of the film or were you only really draw in towards the end?

Mockney

I liked it from the off, which is why I felt unsatisfied with the rather abrupt ending. Though it's a change from most anime, where I get drawn in by the first half, only to be completely lost by the bonkers second. Paprika was a good example of that. Absolutely no idea what happened at the end of that one.

Kaos

I say give the first few episodes of the anime (stand alone compex 1) a go and see how you like it. If it manages to hold your interest then I say persist with it. The problem with the movie is that...well its a movie, so the little time they had was probably why you felt they ended it so abruptly.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Nilsson and Spoony's ramblings in the review thread reminded me to watch Castle in the Sky. I think I liked it better than Princess Mononoke. I know subtlety isn't exactly the name of the game but even still, PM lays on the environmental stuff a bit thick at times imo. Very similar themes in CitS but I prefer the way it's done there.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hardly ramblings from them but RN did manage to sneak in a non-Miyazaki film that also happens to be the saddest film of all time. Trying to do a number on Spoony I reckon. Nausicaa is great though. It's rarely mentioned in first breath when discussing his films.