Henderson should be our #1

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I just had a chance to watch the YB match and I'm convinced we would have a better defense with Henderson in goal. In the first 20 minutes he smartly came off his line 3 times and snuffed out possible attacks and each time I'm positive de Gea would have stayed put. It was so refreshing to see. Yes, de Gea is a better shot stopper but Hendo is better off his line, during corner kicks, with his feet and with his distribution. The deciding point, though, is defenders love to have an active and dependable GK and the effect can have an exponential effect on the defense. I would even bet Maguire and Co would rather have Hendo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The more likely answer is that neither Henderson nor De Gea should be our #1.

NewYorkRed

I just had a chance to watch the YB match and I'm convinced we would have a better defense with Henderson in goal. In the first 20 minutes he smartly came off his line 3 times and snuffed out possible attacks and each time I'm positive de Gea would have stayed put. It was so refreshing to see. Yes, de Gea is a better shot stopper but Hendo is better off his line, during corner kicks, with his feet and with his distribution. The deciding point, though, is defenders love to have an active and dependable GK and the effect can have an exponential effect on the defense. I would even bet Maguire and Co would rather have Hendo.
How could you possibly know who the defenders like playing infront of?

RR clearly said yesterday that DDG is number 1. He’s been in good form this season, why would we mess it up? Most of the goals we have conceded this season have been individual defensive mistakes, not DDG blunders.

arthurka

I agree, DDG is just a tad too limited for my liking.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
De Gea has some serious deficiencies, but Henderson hasn't shown anything to suggest he's anything better than a bang average PL keeper.

gerdm07

How could you possibly know who the defenders like playing infront of?

RR clearly said yesterday that DDG is number 1. He’s been in good form this season, why would we mess it up? Most of the goals we have conceded this season have been individual defensive mistakes, not DDG blunders.
If you played before you are always more comfortable in defense with an active and brave keeper. Just a fact in football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You can say that after 2 matches in charge?

The high press needs an active GK willing to come off his line.
In which case Rangnick will spot that, favour Henderson and we'll see him replace De Gea rather than be loaned out in January.

But if that doesn't happen then obviously it isn't quite as clear-cut from management's POV as "we need to play the more active GK because of our high line".

And as of right now, Rangnick seems to view De Gea as the #1:

We'll see if that changes.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I agree.
Maybe not Henderson specifically, but we do need a modern keeper who isn’t glued to his line.

choccy77

Heaton is better

Oranges038

Posted this before and I'll leave it here again. He's talking about Ben Foster but describes DDG down to a tee. No doubt about it, that DDG is too limited, I'd go with Henderson, give him a chance to prove himself. If it doesn't work out, then go look for someone else.

Sparky Rhiwabon

What else would he say at this point?
Well, if he wanted to play Henderson, the easiest time would be now - he could say he’s assessed them both and is going to chose Henderson. Once he’s said Dave is his number one it becomes a bigger issue to drop him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What else would he say at this point?
"Henderson is an excellent goalkeeper and we'll be looking to keep him here to challenge De Gea across the rest of the season, as he did last season"?

NewYorkRed

If you played before you are always more comfortable in defense with an active and brave keeper. Just a fact in football.
I actually have player before, and in defense all my HS/College years. I understand your point, but I’d much rather play in front of a much better shot stopper who is liklier to save me ass if i make a mistake with an incredible save than with a goalie who’s just quicker off his line.

Moriarty

De Gea has some serious deficiencies, but Henderson hasn't shown anything to suggest he's anything better than a bang average PL keeper.
I thought Henderson was better than average when he was at Sheffield United but I don't think he should step into Dave's boots just yet.

Johnson Yip

Yes, Hendo would have started this season if not for his post-COVID effects... pure bad luck for him!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Again this? So lets replace our no1 gk with poor man's Pickford? Yeah, seems logical

GazTheLegend

You can say that after 2 matches in charge?

The high press needs an active GK willing to come off his line.
Agree and agree, and to be honest de Gea has been personally responsible for way too many goals this season for people to question the mistakes Henderson has made. People were criticising him for the YB goal but he made like 3 smart saves in that first half and I can't help thinking that de Gea makes those saves LOOK harder than they are, which is why people think he's the better keeper - Henderson -caught the ball-.

gerdm07

Well, if he wanted to play Henderson, the easiest time would be now - he could say he’s assessed them both and is going to chose Henderson. Once he’s said Dave is his number one it becomes a bigger issue to drop him
He also said "we will see what the situation will be in the winter." That's smart management as he has left the door open to change. Changing keepers must be done very diplomatically and over time. We'll see what happens.

GazTheLegend

Again this? So lets replace our no1 gk with poor man's Pickford? Yeah, seems logical
Whatever, Hendersons had two FANTASTIC seasons at Sheffield United, and kept some stupid number of clean sheets for us to begin with (including VS Manchester City when we beat them 2-nothing!) so this sort of weird derisive opinion of him - what's it actually based on? When has Henderson actually been bad for us? His stats are for us : 13 starts in 2020/2021, and 10 wins, which backs up my feeling that when he plays for us we tend to WIN GAMES.

Edit: based on stats found here. https://www.premierleague.com/players/13988/Dean-Henderson/stats?co=1&se=363

he kept 13 clean sheets for Sheffield United in a defence that conceded a -stupid- number of goals one season later. He deserves more of a chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The issue is, Henderson isn't really a good proactive keeper, he's just someone that actually steps off the line (and I'm pretty sure that he's very self-conscious about doing it as he knows that it's biggest advantage over De Gea). And he isn't an outstanding keeper in any department, really. So — yes with De Gea from previous couple of seasons and no with De Gea of today, when he is finally finding some form.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How come?
Well in De Gea's case we're well aware of his flaws in terms of sweeping, claiming crosses and distribution. And if we're looking to play a style of football in line with other top clubs then that comes with increased emphasis on those qualities.

In Henderson's case, simply because most goalkeepers aren't good enough to be United #1 and he's yet to prove he's an exception to that rule. He's good enough to be a good PL level keeper certainly but then so was someone like Tim Howard, who also wasn't quite good enough for us. It's a tough gig and at 24 he's not so young that you'd expect massive and rapid improvement. Also while more well rounded than De Gea, he's not particularly great at sweeping or distribution either.

So if I was a betting man I'd say we'll probably need to buy someone else within the next couple of seasons rather than sticking with either De Gea or Henderson.

JB7

This DDG being in great form shite needs to stop. He started the season well but has been dreadful at times over the past couple of months. Him winning player of the month last month was comical as he’d been partially or completely at fault for 6/7 goals during the month.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The issue is, Henderson isn't really a good proactive keeper, he's just someone that actually steps off the line (and I'm pretty sure that he's very self-conscious about doing it as he knows that it's biggest advantage over De Gea). And he isn't an outstanding keeper in any department, really. So — yes with De Gea from previous couple of seasons and no with De Gea of today, when he is finally finding some form.
Yeah, I think this is something that can be coached too. De Gea played well as sweeper under Van Gaal, so this is something he can do.

Jack Landers

I think De Gea shouldv'e been sold but unfortunately all the big teams have proper GKs so nobody really needs to spend money for an aging keeper with high wage demands.

It usedto be we need De Gea more than he needs us but with Henderson and other options out there like Le Font, Lunnin etc who could be availble for cheap and have big futures ahead of them, he is someone we won't miss.

Belisarius

Well in De Gea's case we're well aware of his flaws in terms of sweeping, claiming crosses and distribution. And if we're looking to play a style of football in line with other top clubs then that comes with increased emphasis on those qualities.

In Henderson's case, simply because most goalkeepers aren't good enough to be United #1 and he's yet to prove he's an exception to that rule. He's good enough to be a good PL level keeper certainly but then so was someone like Tim Howard, who also wasn't quite good enough for us. It's a tough gig and at 24 he's not so young that you'd expect massive and rapid improvement. Also while more well rounded than De Gea, he's not particularly great at sweeping or distribution either.

So if I was a betting man I'd say we'll probably need to buy someone else within the next couple of seasons rather than sticking with either De Gea or Henderson.
That all may be true. But, let's at least give Henderson the rest of the season to see if he can be our keeper. He's shown enough to think there is a possibility that he could be very good for us for a long time.

De Gea is just too lacking in size, aggression, pro-activeness, courage perhaps. I don't know the exact right adjective to describe what he lacks. But, we've suffered for years at defensive set pieces because of the lack. And it is much harder to press high up the field with a keeper who stays on his line. It just leaves a very big gap between the defence and keeper.

It's time for a change. De Gea's length of service and big contract make it a tricky change to make and RR will have to be diplomatic about it if he doesn't want to unduly disrupt / upset the veterans in the dressing room. But, he should make this change sooner rather than later.

IhabX7

This DDG being in great form shite needs to stop. He started the season well but has been dreadful at times over the past couple of months. Him winning player of the month last month was comical as he’d been partially or completely at fault for 6/7 goals during the month.
He has been making many many saves as well though. When you’re under that much constant pressure you will make mistakes no matter who you are. I think we should wait a couple of months and if by then our defence is looking in good shape and he’s still making mistakes, then threads like this will be warranted.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Feel free to list them. :lol: