Henderson v Rangnick

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
So Henderson wants to leave to play football - Rangnick wants him to stay as he wants 3 Goalkeepers. I have hardly seen Goalies get injured never mind 2. So for me Henderson is right and if Randnick was right and the worst was to happen Grant can fill in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Henderson probably should’ve been sold that summer after his first season in the PL with Sheffield. Could’ve easily commanded a 25-30m transfer fee (maybe a little more?).

There was a clear ultimatum at that point, we should have either:
  • Made Henderson our first choice GK, putting full faith in him as a player, and try out hardest getting rid of De Gea who was coming off the back of a very poor season (admittedly this was going to be difficult as his wages were/are astronomical), or;
  • Maximise on profit by selling Henderson who was a hot commodity, as keeping him just wasn’t going to work as you really cannot rotate keepers
We did neither, and instead gave Henderson a new contract. As a result, he’s been a depreciating asset and is on a larger wage than most of the sides who should be interested can afford to take him on.

Much like Martial, I expect Henderson to go on loan (should he go at all).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's a polite way of saying he doesn't trust Heaton. Henderson is obviously backup to de Gea. Now, if there was a serious cash offer for Henderson it might be tempting for Rangnick, but if it's just a loan it's quite different.

davidmichael

Personally if I was Rangnick I’d allow Henderson to go on loan til the end of the season and monitor him extensively then make a decision in the summer on who we sell in the summer between De Gea and Henderson, if nothing else Henderson may add to his value if we sell him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So Henderson wants to leave to play football - Rangnick wants him to stay as he wants 3 Goalkeepers. I have hardly seen Goalies get injured never mind 2. So for me Henderson is right and if Randnick was right and the worst was to happen Grant can fill in.
Grant wasn't United squad level when he was in his prime let alone now at age 38. He's one of the rubbish signings Ole signed to keep him company like McShane and Heaton. I sympathise with Henderson as he's too good for no 2 but not as good as DDG. Someone should have told him that and gave him the option to stay and fight for his place or leave. That decision would have influenced our decision regarding Romero who is the typical United No 2.

SAFMUTD

We should sell Henderson in all honesty, De Gea is not injury prone and its having a great season. Henderson is not young anymore and is being wasted on the bench.

Sell him with a buy back clause it's the smart move, if he ends up being a top keeper we'll have the choice to bring him back.

devilish

Personally if I was Rangnick I’d allow Henderson to go on loan til the end of the season and monitor him extensively then make a decision in the summer on who we sell in the summer between De Gea and Henderson, if nothing else Henderson may add to his value if we sell him.
Rangnick should keep him till the end of the season. If DDG had to pick an injury then that would ruin our season as neither Ole's matey Heaton nor Ole's matey Grant are anywhere near to United level. Next summer he should be sold and we would bring in a proper no 2.

devilish

We should sell Henderson in all honesty, De Gea is not injury prone and its having a great season. Henderson is not young anymore and is being wasted on the bench.

Sell him with a buy back clause it's the smart move, if he ends up being a top keeper we'll have the choice to bring him back.
What happens if DDG does pick an injury? Are Heaton (35) or Grant (38) anywhere near to United level? They weren't in their prime let alone now.

SAFMUTD

What happens if DDG does pick an injury? Are Heaton (35) or Grant (38) anywhere near to United level? They weren't in their prime let alone now.
That's always a risk, but how likely is that? De Gea has missed 5 games due to injury in his entire career and none since the 16/17 season. I think we'd be fine.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's always a risk, but how likely is that? De Gea has missed 5 games due to injury in his entire career and none since the 16/17 season. I think we'd be fine.
Relatively high if you include his chances of getting Covid or having to isolate at some point.

SAFMUTD

It's not about injuries only anymore. Covid is also an issue
Relatively high if you include his chances of getting Covid or having to isolate at some point.
Nice point didn't thought about covid, but even then how many games would he miss? 3-4? I mean it's unfair to tie up Henderson just because that.

Heinzesight

The guy wore a baseball cap in goal for us. What next, joggers? Sell him immediately.

Seriously though, decent enough keeper and needs minutes so he should leave. Can’t ever see him becoming our number one but he’s PL quality and will do well elsewhere.

mu4c_20le

The feck happened to Heaton?

SAFMUTD

From his POV, I agree with you. I would never like being in the same situation
I think he signed a new deal because he was promised/thought he could fight for the starting place. It's clear that spot belongs to De Gea now, he's been wasted for one and a half seasons already no need to make it last longer.

Also if I remember correctly he's on massive wages, so I'd do some good to free those up.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If someone wants to buy him, then sure. We can used the funds to buy ourselves a more appropriate back up keeper. His wages alone wouldn't cover the cost of us buying a replacement though, so we'd have to loan one ourselves, and I don't know how many goalkeepers would be excited about spending 6 months on our bench.

Dan

Grant wasn't United squad level when he was in his prime let alone now at age 38. He's one of the rubbish signings Ole signed to keep him company like McShane and Heaton. I sympathise with Henderson as he's too good for no 2 but not as good as DDG. Someone should have told him that and gave him the option to stay and fight for his place or leave. That decision would have influenced our decision regarding Romero who is the typical United No 2.
Rangnick should keep him till the end of the season. If DDG had to pick an injury then that would ruin our season as neither Ole's matey Heaton nor Ole's matey Grant are anywhere near to United level. Next summer he should be sold and we would bring in a proper no 2.
Mourinho signed Lee Grant.

SAFMUTD

If someone wants to buy him, then sure. We can used the funds to buy ourselves a more appropriate back up keeper. His wages alone wouldn't cover the cost of us buying a replacement though, so we'd have to loan one ourselves, and I don't know how many goalkeepers would be excited about spending 6 months on our bench.
It's always veterans, a promising youngster won't want to spend his playing years on the bench and you dont want an poor/average youngster as a back up. The logical choice is a veteran keeper with first team experience but on his last year's so he's ok with the fact that he'll spend most of his time on the bench.

The idea that you must have a great keeper as a back up is nonsense, almost all the top teams have "average" and even poor keepers as back ups really. Besides PSG I don't recall any top team having 2 quality keepers.

Oranges038

Based on his record last season, he should be no.1. He was just unfortunate to have had covid at the start of the season.

Offers a lot more than De Gea overall, who has apparently been in top form all season but still manages to let in on average over a goal a game.

CloneMC16

Fair play to Henderson for wanting to actually play. I don't blame him for wanting to leave if he's not getting a shot here. He's a very good keeper and deserves to play. The vast majority of teams don't have two very good goalkeepers in the squad. He should be allowed to leave on loan. Heaton was signed and can do the job as backup.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's always veterans, a promising youngster won't want to spend his playing years on the bench and you dont want an poor/average youngster as a back up. The logical choice is a veteran keeper with first team experience but on his last year's so he's ok with the fact that he'll spend most of his time on the bench.

The idea that you must have a great keeper as a back up is nonsense, almost all the top teams have "average" and even poor keepers as back ups really. Besides PSG I don't recall any top team having 2 quality keepers.
Yeah but while I'm sure we could tempt some 32 year old in to signing a cushy three year contract with us it's rather harder to find one who wants to move to Manchester for half a season, so I really think we need Henderson moved on permanently before we get his replacement.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don't blame him. He had a fantastic season with Sheff United and hasnt really been given the opporutnity to kick on since. He's obviously seen the likes of Ramsdale - a keeper who, prior to this season, people would have said Henderson was better than - and now he looks to have taken his England spot.

Ekeke

If you have ambition its obviously right for a goalkeeper like Henderson to want to play. If he was playing every week he might be in Ramsdale's position of having a claim to start for England. Now hes nowhere near

If Ralph likes De Gea and would be happy for him to play like he is this season for the next 3 or 4 seasons then I'd imagine we'll see loans and then a Henderson sale in the next year or two. You have to eventually make the choice like Chelsea did with Cech and Courtois

devilish

You can never say when injury would strike. Hence why a solid no 2 is needed.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Grant is basically a goalkeeper coach now, and hasn't Henderson himself been off with long covid? Heaton is injury cover, so it's only him and de Gea to fight it out.

Devil81

Surely we can sell him for a decent fee and pick up and understudy keeper for a cheap fee.

Heaton himself is a good goalkeeper.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This would suit us the most, but I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson is done with loans, and wants a permanent solution. He's been on 5 seasons of loans now.

He's under a long term contract with us though so Henderson might not have much of a say.

AneRu

Henderson probably should’ve been sold that summer after his first season in the PL with Sheffield. Could’ve easily commanded a 25-30m transfer fee (maybe a little more?).

There was a clear ultimatum at that point, we should have either:
  • Made Henderson our first choice GK, putting full faith in him as a player, and try out hardest getting rid of De Gea who was coming off the back of a very poor season (admittedly this was going to be difficult as his wages were/are astronomical), or;
  • Maximise on profit by selling Henderson who was a hot commodity, as keeping him just wasn’t going to work as you really cannot rotate keepers
We did neither, and instead gave Henderson a new contract. As a result, he’s been a depreciating asset and is on a larger wage than most of the sides who should be interested can afford to take him on.

Much like Martial, I expect Henderson to go on loan (should he go at all).
The new contracts handed out since 2019 have been disastrous, can't think of a single player that has merited the rise wages or the length of deal they got and this is now dragging the club down. We now have a few disillusioned millionaires fluffing about the place and you wonder whether it's healthy for the whole squad.

I don't know why we didn't sell Henderson then because we could have easily got 30m for him. We also have young talented goalies coming through that we wouldn't have lived to regret selling him plus we could always insert a buyback clause.

el3mel

I'll sell Henderson if he wants to leave. Don't really care that much and imo he's still few years at least away from being good enough to become Man United main GK. If he wants to go otherwise to play regularly, I have no problem, it's in his own rights to want to play a main role but we're not going to feck ourselves for that. Parting away won't be a bad solution then.

Ixion

I don't really feel we should be keeping anyone to waste away on our benches because they were promised something not delivered.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

But Rashford is.

Not calling you a Rashford apologist, just struck me as amusing.