Henrikh Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I would imagine Mhki/Arsenal would have been given credible info regarding any security issues potentially impacting him.

I’d be concerned for the Arsenal fans considered guilty by association, even the Chelsea fans by extension.

This clusterfeck is really on UEFA.

It’s all about the money, money, money..
Unfortunately money is all UEFA cares about. They are responsible for this mess.

I'm actually always in favour of awarding major sporting events to new/different countries. Like awarding the World Cup to South Africa and Russia. Instead of the same (mainly western) countries getting them all the time. Footbal is truly global sport so right we try to include everyone.

However it has to be done for the right reasons, not for just the money.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What assurances were arsenal looking for here beyond a statement from the Foreign Ministry? An armed guard?
His statement ends with "...if he plays the issue then it's another story". What sort of veiled threat is that ? That doesn't really inspire confidence.I'm sure every official would not want any trouble to happen in front of the "world" but you only need one stupid nutter to feck everything up.

Sorry late to the thread

What about all the fans who are traveling to support them?
Apparently some fans who have dual nationality were also denied visas...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In a statement the AFFA said: "We very much regret this unwarranted decision taken. Whilst we recognise the right to make a personal decision not to travel, we would like to reiterate that as the host country Azerbaijan has provided all the necessary guarantees required by Uefa to ensure the personal safety of Mr Mkhitaryan.

"There is no reason whatsoever to put in question the seriousness of these guarantees provided by Azerbaijan."

NewMember

I think anyone who thinks Mkhitaryan would have been safe to go there is clearly unaware of just how toxic their conflict is.

They banned Anthony Bourdain from entering Azerbaijan because he had visited Armenia. How safe do you think an Armenian would be? Think logically please.

Absolute disgrace by UEFA to host the finals in such a backwards country.

Kapardin

In a statement the AFFA said: "We very much regret this unwarranted decision taken. Whilst we recognise the right to make a personal decision not to travel, we would like to reiterate that as the host country Azerbaijan has provided all the necessary guarantees required by Uefa to ensure the personal safety of Mr Mkhitaryan.

"There is no reason whatsoever to put in question the seriousness of these guarantees provided by Azerbaijan."
Football isn't worth it to risk his life though. Nothing can prepare for a crazed nutter to suddenly invade the pitch and attack the player.

It sucks for him, but best for his sake that he doesn't go.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal

They're absolutely right btw. This has nothing to do with Mkhitaryan being in danger, it's a personal decision i.e. he hates Azerbaijan.

Armenia competed in the Azerbaijan Eurovision, proudly displaying their flag. They were all granted visas and nothing happened.

Same with the European games held in Baku, Azerbaijan. The Armenian athletes weren't attacked at all and they were never in danger.

It's just a shame Mkhitaryan and his family made the selfish decision play political games and boycott the most important match of our season.

Halftrack

We've already discussed Safarov in this thread. I'm not sure that you fully understand the situation though, at least your wording gives me that idea. They can guarantee his safety — more so, they did and would've kept him safe if only for the reason of the upcoming Euros, of which Baku is one of the venues. And it's not the first, or the second time when Armenian sportsmen came to Azerbaijan. Doesn't change that, as I've stated multiple times, I'd do the same in Mkhitaryan's place.
Yeah, I'd definitely be afraid that some member of the security detail fancied being declared a national hero, getting a nice flat and a cushy promotion if I were him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, I'd definitely be afraid that some member of the security detail fancied being declared a national hero, getting a nice flat and a cushy promotion if I were him.
If someone, say, attacks Micky, what do you think will happen with 1. the Europa league final 2. UEFA Euros in 2020 — some of its games are supposed to happen in Baku? Do you think that Aliev or whoever is their president now would like a man who'll cost his country literally hundreds of millions of dollars?

The situation with Safarov is different, he served time in Hungary and the crime didn't happen in Azerbaijan, so they kinda weren't responsible... and even then their international reputation took a huge hit (as it should've, of course) after they did all that stuff with pardoning him and fecking over Hungary in the process. After 2012 they've spent an enormous amount of money trying to resurrect their public image, a lot of this moey went into football — take a look at Atletico Madrid, for example. They won't risk losing it.

I hate that I act as an Azerbaijan's apologist here as I despise their politics and Safarov's case in particular but people seem to turn off their logic when they come into this thread.

Halftrack

If someone, say, attacks Micky, what do you think will happen with 1. the Europa league final 2. UEFA Euros in 2020 — some of its games are supposed to happen in Baku? Do you think that Aliev or whoever is their president now would like a man who'll cost his country literally hundreds of millions of dollars?

The situation with Safarov is different, he served time in Hungary and the crime didn't happen in Azerbaijan, so they kinda weren't responsible... and even then their international reputation took a huge hit (as it should've, of course) after they did all that stuff with pardoning him and fecking over Hungary in the process. After 2012 they've spent an enormous amount of money trying to resurrect their public image, a lot of this moey went into football — take a look at Atletico Madrid, for example. They won't risk losing it.

I hate that I act as an Azerbaijan's apologist here as I despise their politics and Safarov's case in particular but people seem to turn off their logic when they come into this thread.
I'm not saying the Azeri government would do anything like they did with Safarov. Given what they stand to lose from something like that happening, they might actually make an example of the guy. I'm just saying, it's not an unreasonable fear to have. Some random police officer put on Mkhitaryans detail might not think of the greater ramifications, and instead let his seething hatred for Armenians and the celebration of Safarov guide his actions. It's extremely unlikely, but likely enough that it's a risk an Armenian might not want to take.

And that's not even considering the fact that people manage to get on to stages and pitches despite some pretty tight security all the time, and it only takes one guy with a sharp implement to create an extremely dangerous situation.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They're absolutely right btw. This has nothing to do with Mkhitaryan being in danger, it's a personal decision i.e. he hates Azerbaijan.

Armenia competed in the Azerbaijan Eurovision, proudly displaying their flag. They were all granted visas and nothing happened.

Same with the European games held in Baku, Azerbaijan. The Armenian athletes weren't attacked at all and they were never in danger.

It's just a shame Mkhitaryan and his family made the selfish decision play political games and boycott the most important match of our season.
This is honestly the first time I've heard this type of response. I don't really know enough about the political situation to pass judgement but do you know of there are many other Arsenal fan who feel this way?

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
This is honestly the first time I've heard this type of response. I don't really know enough about the political situation to pass judgement but do you know of there are many other Arsenal fan who feel this way?
There's a decent number of Arsenal fans who feel this way. The problem is most don't bother to try and understand the situation they just lazily read the headlines. I met fans who genuinely believe Mkhitaryan has been banned from playing because he's Armenian or that they refused to give him security assurances. None of this is true but it doesn't stop people believing it.

The fact is, he is allowed to play, has been security guarantees and also other Armenians have competed in Baku before with no incident.

I actually got my facts wrong on Eurovision in Baku, they boycotted that and paid a huge fine as a result. But they did show up in Baku 2015 and displayed their flag and nothing happened to their athletes. The fact is, Armenians do periodically boycott Azerbaijan and it has nothing to do with being in danger. There are people fearing for his life right here on the Caf which is just insane. That's mainly why I'm posting this. The reaction here is well off.

What's interesting is even some Armenians are opposed to Mkhitaryan's boycott:

“The criticism directed to Azerbaijan and UEFA is incomprehensible,” wrote Ervand Hakobyan, the press secretary for the Boxing Federation of Armenia, on his Facebook page. “Mkhitaryan made the decision to not go by himself, they provided all the security guarantees.” Commenters on the post took both sides on the argument; one called Mkhitaryan a “coward” and pointed to Armenian wrestlers who went to Baku for tournaments, including the World Wrestling Championships in 2007 and the European Games in 2015.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Insulting another member
Saw a video of random Arsenal fans with Mkhitaryan on the back of shirts held up today

You're an utterly disgusting poor excuse for a human being

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal

Did the cops think Mkhitaryan has snuck into the country?

I'd be shitting it if I was that guy. Kudos!
I think fans should be able to wear an Arsenal shirt with one of their players name at the back. Personally I wouldn't as that might be seen as provocative.

But it shows how high the tensions are that the police felt the need to stop the 2 guys and only let them go on after presumably getting the go clear from his superiors.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
There's a decent number of Arsenal fans who feel this way. The problem is most don't bother to try and understand the situation they just lazily read the headlines. I met fans who genuinely believe Mkhitaryan has been banned from playing because he's Armenian or that they refused to give him security assurances. None of this is true but it doesn't stop people believing it.

The fact is, he is allowed to play, has been security guarantees and also other Armenians have competed in Baku before with no incident.

I actually got my facts wrong on Eurovision in Baku, they boycotted that and paid a huge fine as a result. But they did show up in Baku 2015 and displayed their flag and nothing happened to their athletes. The fact is, Armenians do periodically boycott Azerbaijan and it has nothing to do with being in danger. There are people fearing for his life right here on the Caf which is just insane. That's mainly why I'm posting this. The reaction here is well off.

What's interesting is even some Armenians are opposed to Mkhitaryan's boycott:

“The criticism directed to Azerbaijan and UEFA is incomprehensible,” wrote Ervand Hakobyan, the press secretary for the Boxing Federation of Armenia, on his Facebook page. “Mkhitaryan made the decision to not go by himself, they provided all the security guarantees.” Commenters on the post took both sides on the argument; one called Mkhitaryan a “coward” and pointed to Armenian wrestlers who went to Baku for tournaments, including the World Wrestling Championships in 2007 and the European Games in 2015.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Why don’t Arsenal just make a stand and say they won’t show up to the game?

Bojan11

Why don’t Arsenal just make a stand and say they won’t show up to the game?
They’d need Chelsea to do that with them. Otherwise UEFA will forfeit them and they’d be banned from UEFA competitions for a long time.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Because this isn't a feel-good hollywood film with a happy ending
Except this isn’t a hypothetical hollywood fairytale, it’s a sad real life reality which is being allowed to occur so I don’t know what you’re trying to get at exactly...

They’d need Chelsea to do that with them. Otherwise UEFA will forfeit them and they’d be banned from UEFA competitions for a long time.
Oh I see. That’s unfortunate on their part. Still makes no sense how the final isn’t relocated elsewhere or how it was even allowed to be here in the first place.

izec

Whats the point in checking if someone wears a Mkhitaryan shirt? :wenger:

Do they want to take the shirt off the fan or give him a fine :lol:

izec

Perhaps they thought it was Mkhitaryan himself that had sneaked in?
Yeah and he would run through the streets of Baku in his own kit :)

Some things you just wonder what the point of it is, like in this case with their police. The guy isnt there, so instead of ignoring the topic they go and still get exposure on that matter

Marcelinho87

How can Mkhi be so sure his safety is assured just because they say so? This is a place that pardoned a murderer as soon as he landed back home and made him out to be a hero despite promising to make him serve his sentence.

Then this shit with the fans wearing Mkhi shirts? If he is allowed there without issue then why are the fans wearing shirts a problem?

Mkhi ain't a coward for not going he is completely right, his safety can NOT be assured no matter what these loons tell him.

matt10000

EUFA threatened to take action against Arsenal if fans protested.

What happened to free speech and freedom of expression?

All of the values that have been upheld by the West are gradually being eroded.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

There is no such thing as free speech when it comes to certain situations

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

These values aren't absolute, they are at the discretion of your host wherever you are.

matt10000

These values aren't absolute, they are at the discretion of your host wherever you are.
It was EUFA not the hosts who said they would be punished. EUFA who claim they “work with its partners to ensure safe, secure and welcoming conditions for all football matches hosted across Europe.”

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/protecting-the-game/security/index.html

....unless of course it means EUFA lose face or money in which case they couldn’t give a monkeys..........k

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was EUFA not the hosts who said they would be punished. EUFA who claim they “work with its partners to ensure safe, secure and welcoming conditions for all football matches hosted across Europe.”

....unless of course it means EUFA lose face or money in which case they couldn’t give a monkeys..........k
You spelled UEFA wrong not once or twice, but three times.

Sorry, I just had to say this. :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That's irrelevant to your post or mine. You made a general statement about the values of the West. These values aren't absolute, they are not applied the same way everywhere and every time in the West.

And the UEFA is the host as much as the countries the competition is played in.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You spelled UEFA wrong not once or twice, but three times.

Sorry, I just had to say this. :D
I thought it was a slight on UEFA apparently being as corrupt as the EU. Brilliant if that was the intention considering the final was in a non EU member state.