g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television Henry Cavill's Warhammer

Simbo

Now we know what he plans to do with his time...

Warhammer to be made into film and TV show, starring Superman actor Henry Cavill - BBC News

From his instagram:
"For 30 years I have dreamt of seeing a Warhammer universe in live action. Now, after 22 years of experience in this industry, I finally feel that I have the skill set and experience to guide a Warhammer Cinematic Universe into life. Partnering with Natalie Viscuso at Vertigo has been a blessing beyond words, without her we might not have found the perfect home at Amazon. And having a home like Amazon will give us the freedom to be true to the massive scope of Warhammer. To all of you Warhammer fans out there, I promise to respect this IP that we love. I promise to bring you something familiar. And I endeavour to bring you something fantastic that is, as of yet, unseen.

Our first steps are to find our Filmmaker/Creator/Writer. Watch this space, my friends.

For The Emperor!"

Only way to ensure writers stick to source material is to produce it yourself I guess!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Kinda great that 'Superman' who looks like he was sculpted by the gods is a true nerd and not afraid to stand up and say he loves gaming/fantasy in general.

Pretty great barrier breaker right there. Don't know much about Warhammer apart from the figures when I was younger but I assume it's a bit like Warcraft?

Rake

Man, every story he loves and touches turns to shite. Like the more attached he is, the more the universe is against him... That being said, he will be more involved with the creative process this time around, so I hope it turns out different than Superman and The Witcher.

Warhammer has a massive universe and many stories to be told. Definitely an exciting prospect.

Rake

Kinda great that 'Superman' who looks like he was sculpted by the gods is a true nerd and not afraid to stand up and say he loves gaming/fantasy in general.

Pretty great barrier breaker right there. Don't know much about Warhammer apart from the figures when I was younger but I assume it's a bit like Warcraft?
Yea, you can kinda compare to the Warcraft universe. Warhammer 40,000 is a sci-fi/fantasy mixture.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m far too excited about this, really interested to see what they’re going to make this about, hoping for Horus Heresy but we will see

Simbo

Think much bigger, full of grand, dramatic and brutal stories. Its a universe begging for TV adaptation, the fanbase is pretty hardcore though so he'll be fecking crucified if its not done right, risky venture :lol:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I've read a bit of WH40k lore since I like painting miniatures.

Cavill has his work cut out for him; this stuff is hilariously terrible.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I've read a bit of WH40k lore since I like painting miniatures.

Cavill has his work cut out for him; this stuff is hilariously terrible.
There’s definitely huge consistency between some of their Black Library writers for sure, ranging from Dan Abnett to people who have no right putting pen to paper, there’s a lot of potential they just need to make sure they get the right people to do it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hope they do it justice. Warhammer has such a huge universe with tons of lore, but the actual storytelling has rarely been done well. The comics are mostly duds, and the vast majority of the Black Library (that I've read at least) has been pretty trashy bar a small handful. (The first half a dozen Horus Heresy, and the Eisenhorn trilogy are standouts).

There's been a few good video games though. Dawn of War and Space Marine in particular. Speaking of which, the trailer for Space Marine 2 looks pretty great, which comes out early 2023 and it might force me to finally take the plunge on a new gen console.

Last edited:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Wonder if they will try and take on the Horus Heresy, I started reading the books in order but there are about 100 books.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
There’s definitely huge consistency between some of their Black Library writers for sure, ranging from Dan Abnett to people who have no right putting pen to paper, there’s a lot of potential they just need to make sure they get the right people to do it.
I'm thinking more the general tone. It just doesn't strike me as something that has much mass appeal. Too "grimdark" as they say.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hope they do it justice. Warhammer has such a huge universe with tons of lore, but the actual storytelling has rarely been done well. The comics are mostly duds, and the vast majority of the Black Library (that I've read at least) has been pretty trashy bar a small handful. (The first half a dozen Horus Heresy, and the Eisenhorn trilogy are standouts).

There's been a few good video games though. Dawn of War and Space Marine in particular. Speaking of which, the trailer for Space Marine 2 looks pretty great, which comes out early 2023 and it might force me to finally take the plunge on a new gen console.

No automatic hide behind obstacle button made that original SM game less campy. Very decent shooter.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Wonder if they will try and take on the Horus Heresy, I started reading the books in order but there are about 100 books.
I've read them all, minus the upcoming finale. No way is that possible. It'll be something more like Eisenhorn.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I've done the 1st 10. Only 80 or so core books to go!
A bit of advice would be don't skip the story collections as you go, you're saving little time overall let's be real! There's some interesting lore in them.

Oldyella

I'm thinking more the general tone. It just doesn't strike me as something that has much mass appeal. Too "grimdark" as they say.
The earlier stuff definitely. It was basically designed by a bunch of coked up nerds in the 80s. They have tried to move away from that though, but everytime they do, online nerds have a breakdown.

The inconsistencies in authors is glaring though. Some books are genuinely good fantasy or sci fi reads, but they also publish books by some of their staff members which read like online fan fiction (which I suppose it's not far off really)

Will be interesting to see how they approach this. My guess is it never gets off the ground, sadly. Its just too big in scale.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I hope he's finally found a passion project that doesn't go spectacularly tits up for him.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I’m far too excited about this, really interested to see what they’re going to make this about, hoping for Horus Heresy but we will see
Horus Heresy seems like the really obvious choice but there's so many stories they could do. I'd fecking love a Gaunt's Ghosts adaptation

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Horus Heresy seems like the really obvious choice but there's so many stories they could do. I'd fecking love a Gaunt's Ghosts adaptation
That's on my to read list, I heard good things. When I caught up with the Heresy I read through Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Bequin instead of it. No regrets there.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I see stores for this everywhere and I’ve no idea how they survived the pandemic. Is it figurines people paint? I haven’t got a clue what Warhammer actually is.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I see stores for this everywhere and I’ve no idea how they survived the pandemic. Is it figurines people paint? I haven’t got a clue what Warhammer actually is.
As a low level geek it is my understanding that Warhammer is in the same tier as D&D, which makes you a level 9 geek.

Level 10 is LARPing.

Ekeke

Very specific if not true. Very bad if true

I'd like to see Warhammer, not sure I'd like to see Henry Cavill though

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

“And a lot of people think that misogyny came from the gamer world. Video game bro language is not how you talk to coworkers.” Too specific to not be legit. :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Personally I side with Cavill. Other rumours have stated that the writers didnt like the source material, never played the games and did their best to rewrite as much as they could to turn it into 'their' vision. I can understand why as a gamer and someone who loves the source material that would piss off Cavill as it pissed off a lot of fans too.

Ekeke

Personally I side with Cavill. Other rumours have stated that the writers didnt like the source material, never played the games and did their best to rewrite as much as they could to turn it into 'their' vision. I can understand why as a gamer and someone who loves the source material that would piss off Cavill as it pissed off a lot of fans too.
I didnt like the show either, so I'm not really on a side. Just think Cavill might be problematic and that might be one of the reasons why hes not doing some of his previous roles. But again, the story I linked may not have truth to it. Just like the ones saying the opposite and that Cavill was a white knight may not be true either.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I read their sales increased during lockdown :lol: actually think their stock was one of the quickest rising during the pandemic iirc from what I read.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah that's the impression I have too, it was rumoured for ages that he was unhappy with the writers and that the writers had no love for the source material.

Former writer Beau DeMayo said;

"“I’ve been on show – namely Witcher – where some of the writers were not or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material.),” DeMayo wrote. “It’s a recipe for disaster and bad morale. Fandom as a litmus test checks egos, and makes all the long nights worth it. You have to respect the work before you’re allowed to add to its legacy.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bookso...er-actively-disliked-the-source-material/amp/

Henry Cavill admitted to correcting the writers etc too;

On The Graham Norton Show, the actor very smoothly hinted as to how he ends up correcting a lot of people on the set of The Witcher because he knows more about the series than anyone else present there.

'I'm effusive about being loyal to the source material':

https://fandomwire.com/im-effusive-...ts-because-hes-a-bigger-fan-than-anyone-else/

I think it's a bit shady that his disagreements about the direction of the show are being weaponised (he's basically called an incel woman hater in the comments there)due to the fact that a couple of people involved happen to be of the opposite sex, not to mention how easily rumours like this are accepted as fact.

It comes across as character assassination to be honest and it wouldn't be surprised if it's revenge for him bailing on the project.

Last edited:

tombombadil

Oh they've started the char assassination already? I've personally seen women in power throw vitriol at anyone who dares to give advice, or heaven forbid, question them, and then play the victim card later on as well. Could this be that kind of scenario? See how easy it is to just talk shite online?

We've literally had public first party personal accounts about how the writers say they hate the source material and mock the franchise. As opposed to anonymous online shite like this. Which is more believable?

Until more hard evidence comes out, let's leave propaganda where it belongs. In the bin.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
While I like the idea of the Warhammer universe being create as a big budget tv series, I have my doubts on how good it would be. The universe is so broad, that translating that into a series that also appeals to the general public is going to be a very difficult process. They have to very carefully educate the viewers about all the different races, background and law etc, while also trying to weave in a story that people actually care about. Hopefully it does eventually appear, and they pull it off though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

He dated an anti vaxxer? Shit, best get the pitchforks out then.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The whole thing about Cavill feuding with the Witcher writers because of source material strikes me as something blown out proportion by online nerds.

Fans of "IP" love this idea that "faithfulness to source material" = "respect to the fans" = "good material" and tend to construct stories where people who "disrespect" the source material get punished by the world. So you get narratives like "Henry Cavill bailed out on The Witcher because the writers were disrespectful [so now the show is doomed]", or "Benioff and Weiss wanted to do Star Wars so they rushed GoT, and because of that they got fired from Star Wars."

The story about him getting fired sounds kinda weird and I don't really believe it. But television shows don't like recasting leads. For him to have left it had to be for a serious reason, one that couldn't be easily fixed. I assume it was just that he didn't like doing the show because doing shows isn't actually all that much fun.