Television Henry Cavill's Warhammer

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
That's on my to read list, I heard good things. When I caught up with the Heresy I read through Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Bequin instead of it. No regrets there.
It was easily the best quality writing out all of 40k lore/books that I read, but I did read it as a teenager so I don't know if it still holds up

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Everything I know about warhammer comes from bolt thrower albums or Roy hodgson on athletico mince - so admittedly not a lot.

It must feel great though for a mega star to take your ‘thing’ into the mainstream and I understand why the die hards would want that done faithfully.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The whole thing about Cavill feuding with the Witcher writers because of source material strikes me as something blown out proportion by online nerds.

Fans of "IP" love this idea that "faithfulness to source material" = "respect to the fans" = "good material" and tend to construct stories where people who "disrespect" the source material get punished by the world. So you get narratives like "Henry Cavill bailed out on The Witcher because the writers were disrespectful [so now the show is doomed]", or "Benioff and Weiss wanted to do Star Wars so they rushed GoT, and because of that they got fired from Star Wars."

The story about him getting fired sounds kinda weird and I don't really believe it. But television shows don't like recasting leads. For him to have left it had to be for a serious reason, one that couldn't be easily fixed. I assume it was just that he didn't like doing the show because doing shows isn't actually all that much fun.
Yeah, he took the job because he thought he was doing the Witcher franchise, not one that was just using the IP for the writers to make their shit up that wouldn’t get picked up based on its own merit.

padzilla

Hipster
The other question is where does this leave his Highlander remake?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Which of the WH games are supposed to be good? Never heard of any of them bring really highly rated.

Conor

So did Cavill ruin The Witcher because he wanted to concentrate on Superman, only to be booted off Superman, to now be doing this?

The Urban Goose

What a gimp, I never had him as the "still living in mummy's basement" type.

...and surely ended his chances of Bond, unless the new Bond is going to be a fat computer nerd who kills by piloting drones from his basement and seduces online avatars of women while eating Dominos.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
It was easily the best quality writing out all of 40k lore/books that I read, but I did read it as a teenager so I don't know if it still holds up
I have the omnibus copy so I'll get around to it eventually!

Simbo

The whole thing about Cavill feuding with the Witcher writers because of source material strikes me as something blown out proportion by online nerds.

Fans of "IP" love this idea that "faithfulness to source material" = "respect to the fans" = "good material" and tend to construct stories where people who "disrespect" the source material get punished by the world. So you get narratives like "Henry Cavill bailed out on The Witcher because the writers were disrespectful [so now the show is doomed]", or "Benioff and Weiss wanted to do Star Wars so they rushed GoT, and because of that they got fired from Star Wars."

The story about him getting fired sounds kinda weird and I don't really believe it. But television shows don't like recasting leads. For him to have left it had to be for a serious reason, one that couldn't be easily fixed. I assume it was just that he didn't like doing the show because doing shows isn't actually all that much fun.
I dunno... You'd be hard pressed to find an interview with Cavill on The Witcher where he doesn't talk about respecting the source material. He clearly cared a lot about it, because the fans do, and he's a fan himself. The writers/showrunners took a different route and completely disrespected the source material, which unsurprisingly turned it to shit. So makes sense he'd be a bit upset about it, It was a passion project for him.

Warhammer is an even bigger passion project for him. The fact he's executive producer on it is just further evidence he really cares about the source material. He wants to have control over how the story is told and is lucky/talented enough to be given that opportunity.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think one of my biggest concerns is that they make the imperium out to be true good guys, we already have far too many typically American right wingers idolising the imperium and completely missing the entire point of the lore, we don’t need more

tombombadil

I dunno... You'd be hard pressed to find an interview with Cavill on The Witcher where he doesn't talk about respecting the source material. He clearly cared a lot about it, because the fans do, and he's a fan himself. The writers/showrunners took a different route and completely disrespected the source material, which unsurprisingly turned it to shit. So makes sense he'd be a bit upset about it, It was a passion project for him.

Warhammer is an even bigger passion project for him. The fact he's executive producer on it is just further evidence he really cares about the source material. He wants to have control over how the story is told and is lucky/talented enough to be given that opportunity.
There are actual public interviews with script writers of one of the episodes from season 2 who complained that the other people writing/running the show not only didn't care about the source material. They actively hated the source material and mocked it.

Fully Fledged

Kinda great that 'Superman' who looks like he was sculpted by the gods is a true nerd and not afraid to stand up and say he loves gaming/fantasy in general.

Pretty great barrier breaker right there. Don't know much about Warhammer apart from the figures when I was younger but I assume it's a bit like Warcraft?
I've played some of the Total war games. They're good fun.

tombombadil

I think one of my biggest concerns is that they make the imperium out to be true good guys, we already have far too many typically American right wingers idolising the imperium and completely missing the entire point of the lore, we don’t need more
Spot on. There are no heroes in the 40k. You need to pick your poison. The Imperium of man are actually actively religious fascist bigots. An insult to the founding god emperor himself. The irony. But it would be really interesting to have a show where they show human perspective idolising the imperium, then the eldar perspective, idolising eldar legacy and ideals and other factions idealising their ideals. Could be fun to juxtapose these perspectives together to hammer home...

" In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war "

cafecillos

There are actual public interviews with script writers of one of the episodes from season 2 who complained that the other people writing/running the show not only didn't care about the source material. They actively hated the source material and mocked it.
Can you link any of them?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What is warhammer? I have vague memories of lead warhammer figures about 40 years ago. Was it a board game? A comic? A video game?
You remember correctly. It's a vast franchise from Games Workshop company with both fantasy and futuristic versions of it... and looks like not too mainstream, when reading the thread.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I suspect that's what they'll do, but I hope I'm wrong. It seems on-screen adaptations need a goodie and a baddie.

Not quite the same, but they did it with both the Judge Dredd films. Dredd is not the good guy in the source material, but they painted him as such on screen, and you're just supposed to watch that and be all like "feck yeah, police brutality!"

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I misspoke; the issue for me is less about 'feuding' and more about 'leaving the show.'

Henry Cavill is the most important person involved in The Witcher. He's the lead actor, and the most famous person in the cast by a long shot. He was a big get when he was originally announced. The lead actor of a show is incredibly important in Hollywood. Shows (and movies) are not in the habit of recasting. When an actor wants to leave a major show, 95% of the time the role is written out. Recasting is just not done, it is very risky and everyone would rather avoid it. The showrunner of The Witcher is Lauren Schidt Hissrich, who is nobody particularly well known. I think this is her first job running a show. She's just someone the producing company hired. The staff writers are a bunch of nobodies.

If Henry Cavill was willing to walk out because he did not like the writing, the logical thing is to get new writers. Writers are expendable. Even the showrunner is expendable; it is quite common to change showrunners, or to have people do short showrunning stints. What isn't common is to have to recast your lead. Because of that, I find it hard to believe this "feud" led to him leaving the show. It makes zero sense to pick your writers over your lead, and it is a risky move for Cavill to quit a show in which he's the lead, regardless of the reason. Let alone for one like this one, which nobody in Hollywood is going to respect. That's why I think it's being blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I would be a little skeptical about somebody so unprofessional that they'd go around badmouthing their colleagues in public. This kind of thing is generally a sign of poor character.

Edit: the person who made those statements about the writers laughing about the source material was Beau DeMayo. He is also the sole writer of the movie Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. I have not seen this movie, but here are comments about it from reddit:

As a standalone anime, it's not that bad. As a Witcher product, it is a over the top and lore breaking mess.

From the perspective of being a witcher adaptation, it's actual dogshit, even worse than the show. On its own, actually pretty good.

In terms of what it does with the source material, NOTW is far worse. The movie is a lot more flashy (to ridiculous levels), outright incompatible with the lore at times and inconsistent with itself.
The writer said this about the process of making the movie:

I can honestly say, as a writer, you want your script to be respected. Especially something like The Witcher, which is part of such a larger tapestry at Netflix. And they were just so generous and trusting, in terms of what I was excited about, in the script and for the film.
So this is a guy complaining about people not being 'respectful' of the source material, when he is the sole writer of a 'lore breaking mess' that he vouches for as being true to his script.

Last edited:

tombombadil

I would be a little skeptical about somebody so unprofessional that they'd go around badmouthing their colleagues in public. This kind of thing is generally a sign of poor character.

Edit: the person who made those statements about the writers laughing about the source material was Beau DeMayo. He is also the sole writer of the movie Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. I have not seen this movie, but here are comments about it from reddit:

The writer said this about the process of making the movie:

So this is a guy complaining about people not being 'respectful' of the source material, when he is the sole writer of a 'lore breaking mess' that he vouches for as being true to his script.
As opposed to the anonymous online posts that I was replying about? (which was my point in the first place?)

Attacking him with even more anonymous online posts instead of responding to his claims does not add to your argument.

Can you link any of them?
“I’ve been on show – namely Witcher – where some of the writers were not [fans] or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)”, DeMayo said. “It’s a recipe for disaster and bad morale. Fandom as a litmus test checks egos, and makes all the long nights worth it. You have to respect the work before you’re allowed to add to its legacy.”
https://redanianintelligence.com/20...tively-disliked-the-books-says-former-member/

GloryHunter07

I haven’t actually played 40k properly for ages, more blood bowl and necromunda, but this is making me want to pick it back up :lol:
Do it! The game is pretty complex at the moment but good fun if both players have the same attitude.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Very specific if not true. Very bad if true

I'd like to see Warhammer, not sure I'd like to see Henry Cavill though
It's entirely possible that he's a massive piece of shit but this whole thing reads wrong to me. "gamer bro language"? Maybe I've not seen the right footage but he always came across as the opposite of this in any interviews. If anything he always seemed like the antithesis of the average "gamer", so for him to apparently be every stereotype normally thrown in the direction of gamers seems suspect.

As for the rewrite stuff, I wouldn't blame him for trying to do it because the changes made to the show compared to the books are subjectively worse and it would have been clear when he signed up (since he kept bringing it up) that the show would be faithful to the source material, only for them to renege on that promise. If he's done it in a cnuty way then that's not okay, though.

Edit: the bit about being addicted to video games and being distracted seems off to. Has anyone looked at Henry Cavill? He doesn't look like someone who spends hours every day sitting at a PC eating crisps. It just all seems a bit off.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Makes you wonder if the promise of being Superman made him decide to quit the show?

That didn't turn out well though...

NoLogo

The universe of 40k really carries that risk, the fact that every other faction seems even worse than the empire can make you forget what a bunch of horrible cnuts the empire, the inquisition and the emperor itself truly are. There might be some individuals in the empire who are truly honorable but I hope they make it clear, that despite all their honor they still serve a truly evil master.

Ekeke

It's entirely possible that he's a massive piece of shit but this whole thing reads wrong to me. "gamer bro language"? Maybe I've not seen the right footage but he always came across as the opposite of this in any interviews. If anything he always seemed like the antithesis of the average "gamer", so for him to apparently be every stereotype normally thrown in the direction of gamers seems suspect.

As for the rewrite stuff, I wouldn't blame him for trying to do it because the changes made to the show compared to the books are subjectively worse and it would have been clear when he signed up (since he kept bringing it up) that the show would be faithful to the source material, only for them to renege on that promise. If he's done it in a cnuty way then that's not okay, though.

Edit: the bit about being addicted to video games and being distracted seems off to. Has anyone looked at Henry Cavill? He doesn't look like someone who spends hours every day sitting at a PC eating crisps. It just all seems a bit off.
I play video games and have a similarish physique (not as tall though) playing games doesnt mean you have a poor diet and overeat without engaging your muscles.

The gamer bro language reads to me as someone who simply didnt understand some of the possibly modern, possibly gamer lingo and because they arent into video games and he is and thats one of the biggest differences between them in that persons mind, they just assume thats what it must be.

GloryHunter07

The universe of 40k really carries that risk, the fact that every other faction seems even worse than the empire can make you forget what a bunch of horrible cnuts the empire, the inquisition and the emperor itself truly are. There might be some individuals in the empire who are truly honorable but I hope they make it clear, that despite all their honor they still serve a truly evil master.
Only a heretic would call it “the empire”. BURN HIM!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I play video games and have a similarish physique (not as tall though) playing games doesnt mean you have a poor diet and overeat without engaging your muscles.

The gamer bro language reads to me as someone who simply didnt understand some of the possibly modern, possibly gamer lingo and because they arent into video games and he is and thats one of the biggest differences between them in that persons mind, they just assume thats what it must be.
Oh I know that but the quotes, in reference to him being addicted to games, make it seem dodgy. Unless I've misread it, which is quite possible.

Maybe it's all in my head but the quotes just don't sit right. Although Cavill's previous comments about the metoo movement do suggest that he's a bit of an incel twat, so I'm far from being on his side.