Highest football wage bills in Europe. United are 7th

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Utterly bonkers wage he is on - absolutely crazy. De Jong on 400k is absolutely insane also.
His sister is his agent and she really did an amazing job, making the family proud ! :D

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
1.3m a week. 880k. Those figures make me nauseous. Disgusting.
At least with Messi he has been the best player in the world for many years and can basically ask for whatever he wants and he will get it. 880k for Griezmann and 400k for De Jong are utterly outrageous however.

Classical Mechanic

I'm terrible at accounting stuff, how does that help us know what the players earn in relation to the non-players?
It doesn’t, just thought you’d like to know.

These sites go off reported player wages, their estimates are likely roughly right but wrong if you’re talking proper detail.

United58

I suspect Arsenal will overtake us soon if what we’re read to believe as regards to who they’re bringing in, Auba’s new contract, Willian’s wages if and if they can’t shift Ozil out.
Surely some Liverpool players will look for an increase after last season though?

DarkLord

Griezmann's agent has to be the best agent in the world. 880k a week, what did he even do to justify this kind of salary?! That's insane. He came off a great World Cup performance but that still does not make sense. De Jong salary is also a joke. Surprised Atletico Madrid is that high up on the list and interesting to see where the bulk of Bayern Munich's salary goes to.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
and interesting to see where the bulk of Bayern Munich's salary goes to.
A good part of that are just higher SS costs in Germany compared to England. The other factor is our roster. We don't pay insane max salaries, but there's lots of players above 200k in our squad.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Are you guys even sure these numbers are somewhat accurate and used in the right context?

I mean, with Frenkie de Jong I remember the reports that Nike is paying a big part of his Barcelona/club salary as a part of the individual sponsorship he has with them, and the fact that Barca as a club is also Nike sponsored.

Opposed to say the more traditional construction where players who get their salary at a Puma sponsored club like Arsenal, and then sign a personal deal and play on Adidas shoes for 5 million a year on top of that, in that situation the personal sponsorship wouldn't be referred to as wages/club salary.

"The sources said Nike was not contributing to the transfer fee but investing a "very important amount of money" in wages. Executives believe the 21-year-old's achievements during his time at Barcelona will see the return exceed the investment." They also wanted him to play with 'Frenkie' on the back of his shirt because of this, but he wasn't interested in that.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-after-nike-agreed-to-subsidise-wages-sources

On top of that most Dutch reports at the time put him on a 10-12 million EURO base salary before bonuses, which is like 200-250k EURO per week. Yet people in this thread are claiming he's on 400k POUNDS STERLING, which would be like 440k euro/week which is something completely different.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Arsenal's wage to quality ratio is a bit off innit.

The Dutch league's average salary is 0.24m bunch of paupers.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Griezmann?! Fleeced!

Bet they wish they’d just resigned Neymar rather than spending all this money on other attackers. They’d have won a lot more trophies by now.
Imagine thinking Barca had a chance to re-sign Neymar. He was costing nearly 120M more than Griezmann and PSG weren’t really going to sell him back. Neymar has a release clause that psg met, once that happened it wasn’t up to Barca to re-sign him

fps

Imagine thinking Barca had a chance to re-sign Neymar. He was costing nearly 120M more than Griezmann and PSG weren’t really going to sell him back. Neymar has a release clause that psg met, once that happened it wasn’t up to Barca to re-sign him
It’s Dembele and Griezmann’s transfer money, done.

For the impact the pair have had they may as well have put it in a re-sign Neymar piggy bank.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Abysmal management by Barcelona. It's the most attractive club in the world to play for! Hence they should be able to pay less than their rivals. Very impressed that Chelsea is not even in the top 10, so their CEO Marina Granovskaia is the true VIP.
No, it’s the opposite. Once barca got the neymar money other teams knew they were flush with cash and took advantage. Same thing happens to United.

But I agree, the Barca board is awful and thankfully they aren’t allowed to continue after May

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It’s Dembele and Griezmann’s transfer money, done.

For the impact the pair have had they may as well have put it in a re-sign Neymar piggy bank.
Re-signing neymar was not an option. It was never going to happen. Dembele was signed right when neymar left, Barca weren’t just going to sit in that money and wait years for a prayer that neymar would
Come back. It was never a realistic option. Griezmann was less than half of what neymar costs and even then psg wanted even more money for us to buy neymar than what we sold him for. And this was before neymar had been wrecked with injuries in recent years

FujiVice

Werent we second about a year ago? I remember we had a ungodly stat for the position we were in. Getting rid of Lukaku, Sanchez and Fellaini was a smart move.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Average wage paid

£ m​
Barcelona​
9.37​
Real Madrid​
8.50​
Juventus​
7.71​
Man City​
6.98​
PSG​
6.81​
Bayern Munich​
6.19​
Man Utd​
6.12​
Liverpool​
5.51​
Ath. Madrid​
5.37​
Arsenal​
4.78​

Surprised me. I thought United were above City and Munich in wages paid.
average wages per player according to the link

so really it is a function of total wages / number of players with no proper criteria for what defines a player - for example if you have more young players in your squad (eg williams, greenwood types but does garner TFM chong? )then whilst your total wage bill gies up your average wage per player goes down

so these figures do not actually relate to highest wage bills

fps

Re-signing neymar was not an option. It was never going to happen. Dembele was signed right when neymar left, Barca weren’t just going to sit in that money and wait years for a prayer that neymar would
Come back. It was never a realistic option. Griezmann was less than half of what neymar costs and even then psg wanted even more money for us to buy neymar than what we sold him for. And this was before neymar had been wrecked with injuries in recent years
Well, it would have taken a lot of money, but where there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know why he’s done what he’s done, he’s chucked his career away and I can’t imagine he’s delighted about it.

Traub

A good part of that are just higher SS costs in Germany compared to England. The other factor is our roster. We don't pay insane max salaries, but there's lots of players above 200k in our squad.
SS costs in Germany... not this again

sp_107

Am I reading that right in that it says you paid £293,424,000 in wages and bonuses in 2019?
Yes, In total its around 330M mark.....Salaries for all first team squad will be around 170M but another 160M going to Coaching/Directors/Scouts/Glazers Bonusses etc I think which is still HUGE.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Well, it would have taken a lot of money, but where there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know why he’s done what he’s done, he’s chucked his career away and I can’t imagine he’s delighted about it.
Agreed. Both parties suffered for it.

InfiniteBoredom

Yes, In total its around 330M mark.....Salaries for all first team squad will be around 170M but another 160M going to Coaching/Directors/Scouts/Glazers Bonusses etc I think which is still HUGE.
You forgot the women team, the ones working in office, ground maintenance, tealady etc...

That 330m account for all MUFC employees. And at 50% of wage to turn over ratio there’s nothing outrageous about it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dembele/Griezmann and Coutinho have really destroyed Barca's economy. Both with the transfer fee and wages. And of course no manager or director wants to be the one who lost Messi.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I suspect Arsenal will overtake us soon if what we’re read to believe as regards to who they’re bringing in, Auba’s new contract, Willian’s wages if and if they can’t shift Ozil out.
Probably won't move that much. Mikhi leaving frees up 200k: 100 for Auba 100 for Willian. If we manage to shift Kolasinac's 100k+ and if not this summer the next Ozil's 350k, we will have room for improvement. Lacazette is also a big earner while newcomers, including Pepe, are on very respectable wages.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Probably in the accounts they publish every year?
They publish employee wages and you employ a feckload of people. Ed Woodward's salary should not really be included when discussing your wage bill.

You don't publish your player's wages (I'm 95% sure, if you have seen otherwise, happy to be proved wrong as it's interesting to see!).

We need an rvn

No chance Ronaldo earns that low.
Don't forget this is an average salary....if the figures are to be believed.

Ronaldo and Messi are on what, £500k a week...just means more players are Juve and Barca earn a lot less to get the average figure yet we're willing to pay DDG £300k odd while Ter Stegen is on much less. So we probably have a lot more players on £200k p/w than other clubs

Red_toad

Mata being the highest paid bench player doesnt help - 5.3 mill for 8 appearances or something. Its a little skewed because Ozil never made a appearance off the bench and also it doesnt count other competitions. However our deadwood and B team are probably the best paid reserves in the world or at least up there and have the least ability. At least it will be much better after getting rid of Sanchez.
Bale probably earns as much as our B team/ deadwood, his 600k a week is a huge hit on reals finances.

Revan

Assumptionman
The average is not a good measure IMO. Some clubs overpay their top players but have a smaller squad, while we have everyone and their dog in 70-100k+.

I think that in total salary we are quite higher than in the seventh position.

sugar_kane

Has to be bollocks info - everyone knows all the Liverpool players (including their manager) are volunteers who play only for the love of the club and the fans.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leaving aside the question of authenticity: what's the point of using average salaries? Especially if they aren't refering to similar sized squads?
Say Team A spends €300m on their 22 player squad, they pay €13.6m on average per player. Now they add three prospects from their academy, paying €302m on 25 players and suddenly they pay only €12.1m on average, without spending a penny less or changing their squad's strength one bit.

For whatever reason UEFA actually released a list of the clubs with the highest wage bills:
https://www.goal.com/en-ie/lists/ba...h-the-biggest-wage/15it5nva0ucz5117i0ilfhomm5

sp_107

Dembele/Griezmann and Coutinho have really destroyed Barca's economy. Both with the transfer fee and wages. And of course no manager or director wants to be the one who lost Messi.
Their sponsers QATAR royals will chip in few billions if they need to. Not an issue there!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Average wage paid

£ m​
Barcelona​
9.37​
Real Madrid​
8.50​
Juventus​
7.71​
Man City​
6.98​
PSG​
6.81​
Bayern Munich​
6.19​
Man Utd​
6.12​
Liverpool​
5.51​
Ath. Madrid​
5.37​
Arsenal​
4.78​

Surprised me. I thought United were above City and Munich in wages paid.
We were a few years ago. Letting go of Sanchez, Lukaku, Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia & Young would have freed up over a million pounds a week in wages. We have paid crazy sums of money to garbage players over the last 7 years. Unbelievable how poorly we’ve been run. Thankfully we seem to finally be headed in the right direction now. Marcos Rojo is reportedly on £160k a week, so that tells you all you need to know about how horrifically we’ve been run.

Barca’s wage bill is ridiculous. I read somewhere that they’re paying Griezmann £800k a week. That is obscene for a player who probably isn’t even top 20 in the world.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Surely some Liverpool players will look for an increase after last season though?
Out of the 1st team Wijnaldum is the only one in limbo as his contract ends next summer, everyone has either renewed within the last two seasons and are tied up past 2023. VVD and Fabinho haven't yet renewed since they've joined so we should be looking to offer them new terms after Wijnaldum, that's if he chooses to extend or not.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona and Real Madrid include all sports sections into the wage bill, so men and women's football, basketball, handball, futsal, etc

Barcelona spend a shit ton of money on their basketball team for a european club

pacifictheme

Out of the 1st team Wijnaldum is the only one in limbo as his contract ends next summer, everyone has either renewed within the last two seasons and are tied up past 2023. VVD and Fabinho haven't yet renewed since they've joined so we should be looking to offer them new terms after Wijnaldum, that's if he chooses to extend or not.
Means nothing. If the players feel they deserve more money then they either get a pay rise or it risks affecting their performance.