Highest football wage bills in Europe. United are 7th

meamth

How the feck Juve can pay that much wages with smaller stadium, fanbase, and tv money??

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you guys even sure these numbers are somewhat accurate and used in the right context?

I mean, with Frenkie de Jong I remember the reports that Nike is paying a big part of his Barcelona/club salary as a part of the individual sponsorship he has with them, and the fact that Barca as a club is also Nike sponsored.

Opposed to say the more traditional construction where players who get their salary at a Puma sponsored club like Arsenal, and then sign a personal deal and play on Adidas shoes for 5 million a year on top of that, in that situation the personal sponsorship wouldn't be referred to as wages/club salary.

"The sources said Nike was not contributing to the transfer fee but investing a "very important amount of money" in wages. Executives believe the 21-year-old's achievements during his time at Barcelona will see the return exceed the investment." They also wanted him to play with 'Frenkie' on the back of his shirt because of this, but he wasn't interested in that.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-after-nike-agreed-to-subsidise-wages-sources

On top of that most Dutch reports at the time put him on a 10-12 million EURO base salary before bonuses, which is like 200-250k EURO per week. Yet people in this thread are claiming he's on 400k POUNDS STERLING, which would be like 440k euro/week which is something completely different.
Maybe it’s 200-250k before tax? You know the difference between before and after is double.

Amarsdd

Barcelona and Real Madrid include all sports sections into the wage bill, so men and women's football, basketball, handball, futsal, etc

Barcelona spend a shit ton of money on their basketball team for a european club
Yeah, but still in total their wage bill to turnover ratio is something crazy like 80%?

Number32

You don't publish your player's wages (I'm 95% sure, if you have seen otherwise, happy to be proved wrong as it's interesting to see!).
I agree they don't publish their player's wage, but they can't hide it either. The survey is valid or the club will face a huge problem with taxes.
Parma had tried to trick their player's wage information several years ago and they got busted.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I agree they don't publish their player's wage, but they can't hide it either. The survey is valid or the club will face a huge problem with taxes.
Parma had tried to trick their player's wage information several years ago and they got busted.
What does an anonymous survey have to do with taxes?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I agree. Football has gone mad. I can remember being amazed to hear Van Basten was on 30K a week back around 1990.
Back in 1990, the richest man in the world was the Sultan of Brunei, he was worth about $20b.

Bezos is worth about $200b now.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Back in 1990, the richest man in the world was the Sultan of Brunei, he was worth about $20b.

Which is an obscenity to my way of thinking.
My point about Van Basten was that 30K a week was massive pay then. A mate of mine was friendly with a first teamer at Arsenal who was on 2 grand a week at the time for example.
Van Basten was great though. Twice the player Griezeman is.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Which is an obscenity to my way of thinking.
My point about Van Basten was that 30K a week was massive pay then. A mate of mine was friendly with a first teamer at Arsenal who was on 2 grand a week at the time for example.
Van Basten was great though. Twice the player Griezeman is.
30 years worth of inflation, 10+ years of QE, added to the football boom, I'm not surprised that the top players now are being paid 10-20 times Van Basten was.

Completely agree that Griezmann is obscenely overpaid (if that 880k/week is accurate).

Whether that's obscene is another detabe for another time, personally think Ronaldo deserves his 50m a year salary more than some movie stars who get as much for making one movie.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Griezmann wasn't going to barcelona to take a pay cut

Number32

What does an anonymous survey have to do with taxes?
If you lied on that survey, and the tax collector knew it, it will be a fraud.
When your answer was lower than the actual wages, the club will have a problem with FFP, but when your answer was higher, then the tax collector's integrity will be questioned.

It's not anonymous though
Our work has included this for the Premier League (https://issuu.com/markdavieslcfc/docs/
sportcal_premier_league_in_numbers_) and this for La Liga (https://www.laliga.es/en/news/
sportcal); and two projects for Lloyd’s of London that correctly predicted the World Cup winners
in 2014 and 2018, most recently here (https://www.lloyds.com/news-and-risk-insight/press-
releases/2018/06/dream-team); and collabotration with JLT on their injury index (https://www.
jltspecialty.com/our-insights/thought-leadership/sport-media-and-entertainment/football-
injury-analysis); and research projects with organisations including America’s Cup, ESPN The
Magazine and the EFL among others; private clients include individuals and their legal firms
seeking expertise for cases involving quantum claims for loss of earnings. By their nature these
latter cases are often secret, never disclosed, even when settled. Sportingintelligence clients
have settled individual quantum claims for more than £4m on multiple occasions.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you lied on that survey, and the tax collector knew it, it will be a fraud.
When your answer was lower than the actual wages, the club will have a problem with FFP, but when your answer was higher, then the tax collector's integrity will be questioned.

It's not anonymous though
If I tell you my salary is £100,000 on this website, the taxman wont give a shit,
same as that survey. They know what I earn.

FFP and the UK treasury don't collate their data from that survey, that's a ridiculous notion.

Number32

If I tell you my salary is £100,000 on this website, the taxman wont give a shit,
same as that survey. They know what I earn.

FFP and the UK treasury don't collate their data from that survey, that's a ridiculous notion.
That's why I said "being questioned", not to collect the data from that survey. Anyone would dig into the data and could brought into legal action if there was fraud, so better not to take a risk. It's a public research, not just a garbage news.

If your actual salary on their data is £80,000, of course the tax collectors will haunt you for another questions. Why did you lied? Is there any bonuses or another income that they missed? They are very sceptical and won't lose any penny mate, that's their job.

Crustanoid

How much impact have the idiotic contract extensions for Jones, Mata etc, keeping Lingaard and Rojo on the books, and paying the equivalent of a small island state's GDP to Sanchez had on this calculation?

Siorac

Meanwhile, in the developed world, the purchasing power of the middle and lower classes remained stagnant or even declined a bit.

Guillotine production should become a huge business soon.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Owned by Fiat and low taxes for foreigners.
Owned by the same owners of FCA, and the low taxes on foreigners are a very new thing

They simply follow the barcelona model of paying their players a very significant % of their revenue. They've been operating at a loss for nearly every season of the last decade

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Owned by the same owners of FCA, and the low taxes on foreigners are a very new thing

They simply follow the barcelona model of paying their players a very significant % of their revenue. They've been operating at a loss for nearly every season of the last decade
Yeah, admittedly „owned by Fiat“ was me being laconic. But it helps to have a billionaire owner when you constantly operate at a loss. And the tax law allows the league to attract foreigners. It is no coincidence, that the Ronaldos, Ramseys et al. are flogging there more and more.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Meanwhile, in the developed world, the purchasing power of the middle and lower classes remained stagnant or even declined a bit.

Guillotine production should become a huge business soon.
The world has more sophisticated ways for that now, eg coronavirus

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I thought that Klopp didn't spend anything on transfers and salaries. I mean he said that he will resign from football before doing that...i am confused now