Television Hijack - Apple TV Series

wr8_utd

:'(
The new Apple TV series starring Idris Elba.

Three episodes in so far with the next episode set to drop on 12 July. Anyone watching this?
Fun episodes so far without being any sort of masterpiece. The pilots not having any sort of subtle alarm system apart from those zigzags seems a bit odd? Given he had plenty of time before the hijackers entered the cockpit. Also, he probably should have gone 3 degrees off course earlier if its known to be sort of a warning? Two different ATCs ignoring red flags was also a bit hard to believe. Apart from these minor cribbing points, its been fun to watch so far.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im watching it. It got some rave reviews where I am so I expected more than it is giving. Its decent but not really anything near the levels the reviews were making out.

wr8_utd

Im watching it. It got some rave reviews where I am so I expected more than it is giving. Its decent but not really anything near the levels the reviews were making out.
Its a very fun watch but most definitely not the standard of the best of Apple TV's shows. I also somehow don't find the scenes in the plane very tense..so far.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Am really enjoying this - think the fact that it is in real time gives it an interesting edge and, in my opinion, certainly helps build the tension.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not sure I could watch with those accents.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Enjoying it so far, the constant tension helps. Bit daft that the copper found out who the hijackers were before the ATU did.

Looks like they're being put up to it based on the phone call the leader tried to make. I'm guessing we'll be sympathetic to their cause by the end.

Coxy

It’s alright but some of the stuff is just silly like :
Like the 'leaders' always doubting that something is wrong and showing disdain (the government team, the air traffic controllers etc). The fight on the plane between the old guy and Idris and the other guy. The fact that the pilot opened the door. The lady who found the bullet telling a random man rather than going to a steward. The woman on the plane who 'loses' her kid and the fact that they allowed their daughter to stand up on the seat anyway etc etc

The Firestarter

It’s alright but some of the stuff is just silly like :
Like the 'leaders' always doubting that something is wrong and showing disdain (the government team, the air traffic controllers etc). The fight on the plane between the old guy and Idris and the other guy. The fact that the pilot opened the door. The lady who found the bullet telling a random man rather than going to a steward. The woman on the plane who 'loses' her kid and the fact that they allowed their daughter to stand up on the seat anyway etc etc
The fact that the pilot didn't immediately start squawking 7500 after he saw armed people in the cabin, instead doing dumb heading changes for dramatic effect. The fact that such an elaborate hijack plan didn't include an actual pilot who can fly the plane wherever they want...

wr8_utd

The fact that the pilot didn't immediately start squawking 7500 after he saw armed people in the cabin, instead doing dumb heading changes for dramatic effect. The fact that such an elaborate hijack plan didn't include an actual pilot who can fly the plane wherever they want...
This lack of action by an experienced pilot was a big issue for me. He had plenty of time in which to raise a warning and did nothing apart from saying there's a definite incident? He didn't even bother mentioning that there were guns.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm invested enough in this show that I paused it on the letter at the end of that episode to read what the demands are.

cafecillos

Very entertaining stuff. Not too highbrow but really engaging for me. Anything similar that could be worth a watch and it's not particularly long?

wr8_utd

So for those who might be aware of emergency protocol onboard a commercial airliner:

What is the standard protocols in a scenario like this? Would NATO aircraft really back down if there was an unresponsive aircraft over a member country's airspace with obvious visual confirmation of hijackers with guns? Would the "these are British hijackers" be enough to persuade NATO jets to disengage and fly back to base?
I'm invested enough in this show that I paused it on the letter at the end of that episode to read what the demands are.
I read it as well and I won't lie, I was a bit underwhelmed. Seemed quite an overreaction to hijack a plane for that.
I wonder can the doc get rid of his annoying wife and blame it on the hijackers
Instant renewal for a second season if they can get rid off her asap.

wr8_utd

While this show is really engaging for me and I will most definitely see out the season, I'm still not really finding it tense because of the rather obvious plot armor for the very few characters we really care about. Plus,
no one even remotely believed that NATO would engage with the plane so things like that just make it impossible to actually be a bit tense about the happenings on the aircraft. Besides, Idris Elba aside, do we even care if any of the other passengers live or die?

The Firestarter

So for those who might be aware of emergency protocol onboard a commercial airliner:

What is the standard protocols in a scenario like this? Would NATO aircraft really back down if there was an unresponsive aircraft over a member country's airspace with obvious visual confirmation of hijackers with guns? Would the "these are British hijackers" be enough to persuade NATO jets to disengage and fly back to base?

I read it as well and I won't lie, I was a bit underwhelmed. Seemed quite an overreaction to hijack a plane for that.

Instant renewal for a second season if they can get rid off her asap.
I think a country is fully within their rights to shoot down a jet that is not responding , within their airspace and especially after visual proof of armed attackers on board. Regardless of nationalities of hijackers, if there is no communication with said hijackers, and plane is on course to the capital (even if that's the usual route), after 9/11 all bets are off.

wr8_utd

I think a country is fully within their rights to shoot down a jet that is not responding , within their airspace and especially after visual proof of armed attackers on board. Regardless of nationalities of hijackers, if there is no communication with said hijackers, and plane is on course to the capital (even if that's the usual route), after 9/11 all bets are off.
Thanks for that!
Would the situation/decision change if it was not headed over the capital of a country but say some other major cities or maybe Tier 2 cities?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just watched episode 4. And without giving the game away.....is there an episode 5 or even more?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
OK episode, not as good as the previous 4. Predictable ending, and the less said about Beesley's character letting the old lady wander off the better. They surely would have sent dozens of armed police with them to her house?

I'm starting to think this'll end on a cliffhanger and not be a one series and done situation. I hope I'm wrong.

cafecillos

It's more than a bit predictable at times, and it may not be a documentary about the hijacking of a plane, but completely hooked. Anything else similar out there, on any platform?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The lack of people having to use the lavatories is a glaring omission, but the show has good value & is worth the time investment.