g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/PC/Switch/Xbox)

hobbers

I was surprised at that comparison. They are nothing alike IMO outside of 'game set in a school'. Maybe I'm misremembering Bully... It's been a minute.
Yeah of course in terms of magic and the whole Harry Potter vibe it's a terrible alternative. Just so far as it's a school simulator and is a great game in its own right.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The guardian reviewer recommended Bully as an alternative for the boycotters. And it's a great alternative. But can only imagine how triggering a lot of them would find it. :lol:
:lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Keeping with the school theme, Deadly Class (comic series) would make a good RPG.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Wired scored it 1/10. Later same gaming journalists and influencers cry when studios put conditions on reviews and be selective while giving out review codes.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Wired scored it 1/10. Later same gaming journalists and influencers cry when studios put conditions on reviews and be selective while giving out review codes.
if they only posted review today I imagine they purchased the game

Would have been a far better protest to just not cover or mention the game at all. This is asking for legions of idiots to hound the writer

Drawfull

Would have been a far better protest to just not cover or mention the game at all. This is asking for legions of idiots to hound the writer
I'm not sure in this case the writer doesn't deserve some blowback. Regardless of where they or their publication sit on JKR's comments, it's evidently not a 1/10 game. It just makes them look childish. They could have done a constructive review whilst highlighting the bigoted comments that JKR has made.

Reditus

I'm not sure in this case the writer doesn't deserve some blowback. Regardless of where they or their publication sit on JKR's comments, it's evidently not a 1/10 game. It just makes them look childish. They could have done a constructive review whilst highlighting the bigoted comments that JKR has made.
if all the blowback was constructive I would agree. But lets face it, it wont be pretty

Drawfull

if all the blowback was constructive I would agree. But lets face it, it wont be pretty
I'm not sure 'here's a red rag' followed by 'mummy, the bull ran at me' is much of a defence against any negative blowback - I'm not condining it, but you can be sure it'll get traction when it happens. Wired is supposed to be a serious, respected publication. This 1/10 is no better than the review bombs the bigots gave TLOU2 for example, for having the temerity to include a lesbian in it.

I'm going to go back to enjoying the game for what it is. And it's not anti-Semetic. But that's a whole other 'they pulled a problem out of their arse' rant, because the thing they wanted to bash it for, they can't.

Last edited:

hobbers

That reviewer must be the textbook definition of a resetera mod. Straight outta Portland.

Perfect fodder for their next article covering all of the horrible abuse.

CloneMC16

It's not even a review. She spent 80% of it talking about Rowling and queer people. The rest is saying how the game feels soulless and anti-Semitic.

I doubt she even played the game.

Reditus

I'm not sure 'here's a red rag' followed by 'mummy, the bull ran at me' is much of a defence against any negative blowback - I'm not condining it, but you can be sure it'll get traction when it happens. Wired is supposed to be a serious, respected publication. This 1/10 is no better than the review bombs the bigots gave TLOU2 for example, for having the temerity to include a lesbian in it.

I'm going to go back to enjoying the game for what it is. And it's not anti-Semetic. But that's a whole other 'they pulled a problem out of their arse' rant, because the thing they wanted to bash it for, they can't.
For what it’s worth I agree it’s an extremely poor piece and actually harms her cause more than helps. The publication should have put a notice up to stat they are not covering the game at all and no mention and that is how you get your point across. I’d blame the editor for allowing it to be published.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Oooof, definitely Witcher vibes of poor gameplay element design and mostly levelling. I've just done Hogsmead and through sheer curiosity am already well over-levelled for the current place in the game. I have a full gold set and I've just been explained how to equip gear and been given a green piece for free. OW curse continues :lol:

I also already feel like any buying/crafting/potions will, like the witcher, be entirely pointless.

On the plus side, what combat I've found I've enjoyed and even though I'm not a Potter geek, I do like the world and the nice little touches.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm loving it. Just got a broomstick. The combat is surprisingly great. It's also not an easy game. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and had to give up one of the dualing side missions, it was 1 vs. 4 and I was getting my ass kicked. Will come back to it at a higher level. Also had another mission in which I was led to the forbidden forest by a ghost, and all the enemies were twice my level - cheers, ghost. :lol:

Newtonius

Discourse around this game is absolutely insane man, because of the bad press around the author it seems to be overcompensating quite a bit (no he/her pronouns for your character at all for instance, first trans character etc) yet this huge, often detrimental boycott from the trans community has definitely had the opposite intended effect. I don't think it would be anywhere near as successful without it, instead of having their own boycott the 'anti woke' crowd seems to be buying it en masse (and leaving overwhelming positive reviews) just to spite their "enemies".

Definitely one thing i am glad for as well is that reports of PC performance were quite overblown, at least the launch day version. My 3080 defaulted to "ultra" and it worried me quite a bit but nah, average frames are about 80 at least in the castle still quite early.

Newtonius

People are actually boycotting it? :eek:
Hard to say whether its individuals or whether its coordinated but oh yeah at least trying to. Harassment at streamers who played the game, attempts at doxxing, targeted spoilers being posted all over that kind of petty shit.

Edit:

Redlambs

Definitely one thing i am glad for as well is that reports of PC performance were quite overblown, at least the launch day version. My 3080 defaulted to "ultra" and it worried me quite a bit but nah, average frames are about 80 at least in the castle still quite early.
Oh don't you worry, if you are only getting 80 in the castle then you are about to hit a cliff :lol: Slightly worrying they promoted an Nvidia update to make the game run better when that update had nothing to do with this game. Also, I've just had a decent size Steam patch and it didn't make the game run any better, and to boot Raytracing is implemented worse than the PS5 spiderman version in terms of faking it.

But, on the plus side, it's not terrible and it is fixable. Seems a little cyberpunk'ish in that the settings seem to do the opposite of what they are supposed to though.

On the trans discussion, I've steered clear of it all. Though it does seem a bit dodgy that the first blatant trans person you come into contact with has the same pitched down bug your created character has and is also not credited as an actor. In fact, the first black character of note has a similar voice issue where they've definitely slowed the tempo down too. Possibly nothing to it, but they both definitely stand out compared to the other cast of characters so far. It's all a bit odd considering the eyes on the game.

hobbers

I don't think it would be anywhere near as successful without it, instead of having their own boycott the 'anti woke' crowd seems to be buying it en masse (and leaving overwhelming positive reviews) just to spite their "enemies".
Eh what? Of course it would. This was always going to be the best selling game of the year. Similar pre order numbers to Elden Ring and Cyberpunk. Record breaking twitch viewers.

Woodzy

It feels unplayable on anything other than performance mode on PS5, which in all honesty looks a bit shit. Game itself seems decent so far though.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It feels unplayable on anything other than performance mode on PS5, which in all honesty looks a bit shit. Game itself seems decent so far though.
I’ve had it on fidelity mode the whole time and feels fine to be honest

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
You can adjust the camera deadzone/acceleration in the controller settings.

Turn camera acceleration all the way down, and camera sensitivity up to near max.

Controlling the camera is so much smoother.

Although it must suck for folks who cant stand low frames. I can easily go from 120/60/30fps on the fly.

Drawfull

If your TV supports it, Balanced is not bad (I assume it's targeting 40fps). I've only had one area with any noticeable, persistent drops on that setting and it was only for a short while
(inside the tower at the start of the first trial)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Hard to say whether its individuals or whether its coordinated but oh yeah at least trying to. Harassment at streamers who played the game, attempts at doxxing, targeted spoilers being posted all over that kind of petty shit.

Edit:

Does this part of the translobby also demand people to stop buying HP lego for their kids, boycott every single movie or does it just seem to be a video game for some reason?

Laurencio

Apparently the game is filled with anti-semitism and the story revolves around crushing a slave rebellion. The world is devoid of magic while every character is one dimensional and boring.

I dunno which game they are playing, but it certainly isn't this one.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wired review is an utter embarrassment, they should take it off and apologize. It’s disrespectful to all the people who spent years developing this and have quite clearly succeeded at making a very good game by all accounts.

Eriku

I don’t give a toss about HP and I think vids from playthroughs look kinda brilliant. That Wired review is a joke and undermines their being perceived as objective.

A boycott on principle would have made way more sense than pretending this is a horrible game.

Redlambs

You can adjust the camera deadzone/acceleration in the controller settings.

Turn camera acceleration all the way down, and camera sensitivity up to near max.

Controlling the camera is so much smoother.

Although it must suck for folks who cant stand low frames. I can easily go from 120/60/30fps on the fly.
This is exactly why you have to turn the camera all the way up though. It's not that people can't stand low frames, it's that once you play something that has smooth input, it's annoying having to go back to sluggish.

It obviously depends on the game too, HWL isn't particularly fast paced even in combat so the sluggish controls aren't really affecting the fun, especially if you are playing on a 120hz which tricks your brain more anyway.

Okay, so which is it? These two statements are inherently contradictory.
I don't understand your question. Are you saying 40fps is shit so Balanced can't be not bad?
40fps IS shit (it's 2023 ffs!), but balanced on a 120hz tv does make your brain think it's smoother. Coupled with crap like motion blur and aggressive DoF it's tolerable in a game like this for now because you aren't aware of the sluggish controls/animations/attack frames and all that as much.

Anyway, it should improve as the game isn't actually a graphical beast by any stretch. It's the old case of a few more minutes in the oven would have sorted a lot of these late development optimising issues out, there's nothing I've seen broken as such (so far), just sloppy.

Drawfull

40fps IS shit (it's 2023 ffs!), but balanced on a 120hz tv does make your brain think it's smoother. Coupled with crap like motion blur and aggressive DoF it's tolerable in a game like this for now because you aren't aware of the sluggish controls/animations/attack frames and all that as much.

Anyway, it should improve as the game isn't actually a graphical beast by any stretch. It's the old case of a few more minutes in the oven would have sorted a lot of these late development optimising issues out, there's nothing I've seen broken as such (so far), just sloppy.
I agree, but have gotten used to it on Steam Deck for the past year.

Bobski

Wired review is an utter embarrassment, they should take it off and apologize. It’s disrespectful to all the people who spent years developing this and have quite clearly succeeded at making a very good game by all accounts.
So much hypocrisy in the gaming media sphere. You have the likes of IGN(and probably every other gaming site), and I hate the phrase, virtue signalling in their review, and then monetizing the feck out of the game by releasing guides and tips vids for the game. They tick the box by castigating Rowling, saying what they are supposed to say, then carry on covering the game as usual.

Standard modern affliction, pretend to care to avoid the canceling mobs then carry on as normal. I think all the hysteria around this game has done more harm than good for trans causes.