g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/PC/Switch/Xbox)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Largely enjoying it, but I have some gripes as well.

First off, the enemies level scales of you, so getting higher level is a sidestep at best as you'll need new gear to be at the top of that level. It's not a big deal in and of itself, but it makes level feel utter pointless.
Then there is the transmog system... Every time you get a new piece to equip (which is often) and want to keep your look, you have to transmog that individual piece. It just feels like they were putting systems in with no regard for how using them would feel.

The world is great fun to explore, story seems interesting. I think there is a lot of value for otherwise casuals like my wife who mostly plays candy crush and similar games but have a big love for Harry Potter.
For me who enjoy the likes of Elden Ring & Sekiro and still like the HP universe I find it close to great, but lacking a wee bit on development of systems to feel great to play.

Will finish the game, less certain about 100%, but my gripes can largely be fixed with a few patches. By far the best HP game and I'm sure people will love this if they are interested in the universe.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ooooof, yeah I'm finding the problems with the engine now. The age old thing of shadows/lights are not being sorted properly for a start is the biggest culprit. Explains why "performance mode" on the consoles looks like ass whilst not running so hot still, and why any other modes struggle to even hit 30 properly. Also DLSS and FSR (for the consoles too) aren't working right.

Nothing too major that can't be patched, but it is interesting how so many new games have the same problems from launch.

Redlambs

First off, the enemies level scales of you, so getting higher level is a sidestep at best as you'll need new gear to be at the top of that level. It's not a big deal in and of itself, but it makes level feel utter pointless.
Then there is the transmog system... Every time you get a new piece to equip (which is often) and want to keep your look, you have to transmog that individual piece. It just feels like they were putting systems in with no regard for how using them would feel.
Sounds like the exact reverse of the Witcher 3 for the levelling, and exactly the same for the systems.

I really don't understand why more don't adopt the middle ground which is the game scales at certain points, but only the enemies going forward. So you can still have a challenge and work to level up, but you can also feel almighty powerful against those you've faced and beaten before.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If you play on PC, you can manually update the dlss to 2.5.1 and sort some of the issues out.

Laurencio

My son got it and let me play it last night. I love it. There is so much to explore, the animations are wonderful and the story is quite engaging. It's a proper RPG set in a universe that really feels magical, the artwork is incredible as well. Every room in the castle has some kind of wonderful feature, artwork or mystery. It's amazing what they can do these days.

Shark

@NotShark
Ooooof, yeah I'm finding the problems with the engine now. The age old thing of shadows/lights are not being sorted properly for a start is the biggest culprit. Explains why "performance mode" on the consoles looks like ass whilst not running so hot still, and why any other modes struggle to even hit 30 properly. Also DLSS and FSR (for the consoles too) aren't working right.

Nothing too major that can't be patched, but it is interesting how so many new games have the same problems from launch.
Think there will be a day one patch tomorrow. Gonna hold off an playing much further until then. Balanced mode is definitely the best option on consoles though if you have the TV/monitor for it, 40-60fps unlocked at 4Kish. Hopefully they smooth it out even further now.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Think there will be a day one patch tomorrow. Gonna hold off an playing much further until then. Balanced mode is definitely the best option on consoles though if you have the TV/monitor for it, 40-60fps unlocked at 4Kish. Hopefully they smooth it out even further now.
Yeah I've tried the PS5 briefly on all modes, and it's ok for a launch title by today's standards. Definitely not broken though, more rushed, plenty for them to work with. Probably will be a patch you are right. Performance mode needs all round love the most from the off, but I don't expect the occlusion/shadowing issues to be there for long.

Some of the textures are awful though, especially the interior Hogwarts brick ones early on. It's not so much the quality of them, it's the texture effects/Post processing. Hopefully they have plans to bump all that up too.

Drawfull

Chests around the world, no? Selling items too.
Those aren't really working for me. I keep (kept, to be fair) getting caught with a full gear inventory*, thus faced with risking trashing something for something unknown in those situations and whilst there's loads of chests, the spells and recipes needed for SQs seem to be priced too highly for me. I've done quite a lot of extra stuff, but have had to spend the afternoon hoovering up crap to pass a basic assignment that would have cost 1300 to buy the stuff, and a lot more than that to buy the recipes. Feels like a false gate to make me explore.

I am enjoying though, the money, lockpicking and dodgy stealth AI aside.

*pretty sure boss fights drop gear and if your inventory is full you get an 'inventory full' message and miss the drop.

Last edited:

Bebe

It's almost like people are not one homogeneous group and to be honest despite the fact that I absolutely hate j k Rowling and what she stands for I recognise that people are free to buy this game if they are inclined to ignore that money may go to her or don't care/want to because they agree with their views. In fact every trans person I know is just ignoring this game completely, and if you want to use Twitter bubbles as an example then God help you.
Easy mate, I was referring to the people who take part in the Twitter bubbles.

I would assume money has already gone to J K Rowling - licensing fees would have been determined when the project was greenlit.

Tiber

Really enjoying the game. Excited to see how young Tom Riddle's future develops as I get further into the game

Tiber

Only thing bothering me so far is a robotic sound with the players voice. Apparently it's a known bug but it irks me

CloneMC16

Intentionally ruining people's enjoyment of something they're looking forward to is not going to make you any friends. I realise not all trans people (and allies) feel the same way. The main issue is the radical people are getting the most attention and ruining the game for people.

To be fair most trans people and allys are regular and fairly open minded, or at least ones I have met. Just on twitter you get the most radical people who have nothing better to do all day but tweet their opinions. I agree they put a black cloud over reasonable discourse and may mistakenly be seen as the majority so it is up to us to realise they do not represent everyone
Yeah, I don't doubt that. I know that Twitter is full of a lot of insane people. It's the worst people that get the most attention.

I have seen trans people say that they won't buy the game, but they respect other people's decision to do so. I've also seen some trans people say that they're buying the game themselves. The whole community doesn't have the same opinion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So how big is the world? Hogwarts and the outside world. I'm guessing we aren't talking Red Dead big. The map doesn't look particularly large but difficult to tell.

b82REZ

Intentionally ruining people's enjoyment of something they're looking forward to is not going to make you any friends. I realise not all trans people (and allies) feel the same way. The main issue is the radical people are getting the most attention and ruining the game for people.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. I know that Twitter is full of a lot of insane people. It's the worst people that get the most attention.

I have seen trans people say that they won't buy the game, but they respect other people's decision to do so. I've also seen some trans people say that they're buying the game themselves. The whole community doesn't have the same opinion.
But that doesn't explain your comment of, trans people will receive more hate.

There's no evidence to support this and just sounds like a massive overreaction to a vocal minority attempting to ruin the game for others under the guise of trans-rights.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Ah you are further on than me based on this and your other posts, but good to know.
Im level 26 I think, hit it hard! Although those chests are scattered everywhere and you can get into them almost straight away

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Well I've missed something then :lol:

I haven't tried casting anything on them; I'm level 21 I think. I'll try in a couple of hours, cheers!
I’ll post it in spoilers in case you don’t want to know, it took me longer than I care to admit to figure it out too :lol:

cast that white spell that turns you invisible and the eye won’t see you!

Fully Fledged

Will I have to read a few of the fecking books to enjoy this or is it stand-alonish enough to introduce someone new to the setting? Never watched a movie etc.

I'm a sucker for single player open-world games so with these reviews I'll definitely want to play this. And am stupid enough to go through the trouble of discovering the world for it.

I started watching the Star Wars saga - not particularly enjoying it - just to increase my enjoyment when I assemble SW Lego sets, which I adore.
It seems stand alone. It is set over a hundred years before Harry Potter so none of the events of the books should make a massive difference to the game. You might miss a few easter eggs but nothing more than that.

Fully Fledged

But that doesn't explain your comment of, trans people will receive more hate.

There's no evidence to support this and just sounds like a massive overreaction to a vocal minority attempting to ruin the game for others under the guise of trans-rights.
I agree. It's like saying that every gamer is toxic because a vocal minority come over that way.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I cant really get into so far. It might just be my mood in general or the fact im not a massive HP fan despite reading the all the books when i was a teenager. Maybe i just find it hard to get into a new game when ive been playing warhammer 3 immortal empires non stop for a month.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
My criticism of levels not mattering changed completely once i progressed a bit in the story and levels finally unlock some sort of skillpoints (retroactively as well for anyone leveling and being worried about missing something).

Honestly a massive plus for me who love these sort of rpg mechanics.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Have to say if you're a young HP fan this game is a dream come true. Production values and art design are through the roof. Im probably too old to appreciate it but younger ones will.

Drawfull

Bit of a PSA, but I've had a few issues with met criteria not popping - specifically the use of items to achieve something during battle - and if I'd not read the quest log, I'd have gone and blown another 2000 Galleons on stuff I didn't immediately need.

Also, potion crafting/plant growing sucks.

Sweet Square

Saw someone playing this today and the character creation menu looked like a tory simulator. I'm assuming then at the end of the game, there is a fallout 3 type launch nukes option ?

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Some of the combos are mad when you unlock certain talents

Crucio - Confringo to spread the curse - Avada Kedavra. Everyone who the curse spread to dies instantly :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Etonian wizard simulator.
Alternate ending where instead of defeating the Death Eaters Harry Potter instead adopts their policies in an attempt to politically outflank them, ultimately bowing out in disgrace following a botched referendum campaign.

hobbers

The guardian reviewer recommended Bully as an alternative for the boycotters. And it's a great alternative. But can only imagine how triggering a lot of them would find it. :lol:

Fully Fledged

Hogwarts Legacy Breaks a Twitch Record
With influencers and live-streamers getting their hands on Hogwarts Legacy a few days early, the title has broken a viewership record on Twitch.

On February 7, the Harry Potter RPG broke the concurrent viewership record for a single-player game on the live-streaming platform, peaking at 1.27 million concurrent viewers.

https://thedirect.com/article/hogwarts-legacy-twitch-record

Drawfull

The guardian reviewer recommended Bully as an alternative for the boycotters. And it's a great alternative. But can only imagine how triggering a lot of them would find it. :lol:
I was surprised at that comparison. They are nothing alike IMO outside of 'game set in a school'. Maybe I'm misremembering Bully... It's been a minute.

I was also surprised that Keza/The Guardian actually reviewed it considering so many big publications didn't. If I'd had had to make a list of publications that would boycott, then The Graun would've been on it.