g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Hojlund penalty shout vs Gabriel | Was it a penalty?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

So surprised there isn't a dedicated thread on this. On broadcast, there wasn't even a replay, nevermind a VAR check. Having a decision go our way on opening weekend resulted in an inquest with multiple apologies. Why are the media and oppo fans completely silent on this? Looks like a penalty to me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably about 60/40 towards a pen for me. Not a clear one by any means and not a huge deal when it's not given, but it was one of those days that a lot of things went against us.

Hughes35

Thought it looked a pen when he went down.

Then presumed it wasn't at the time because so little was made of it.

Now think it was a pen again and it's a bit of a joke the VAR review took 4 seconds, it wasn't mentioned and no replays were shown. Very odd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Penalty. Anybody who disagrees is a knob.

More could've been made about it is Ten Hag had managed to keep complaining about it in the press until they had no choice but to discuss it. Unfortunately Sancho has given them a story to write about instead.

Rauður Djöfull

Didn't even go to VAR
Team got robbed and Arsenal ended up winning
No talk of this in the press

NRg

You just know the ref will give this as a foul in the middle of the park. In the penalty area, the refs hide behind the "the attacker was not in full control of the ball"...

Bwuk

It's a stone waller.

I don't even understand how it's a debate.

Gabriel never even tries to play the ball.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It’s probably called a foul elsewhere on the pitch but, rightly or wrongly, that kind of action is never called a penalty, even with the arm hook. This angle also makes it look like Hojlund had a better chance of reaching the ball before White than he really did. It was a very loose touch and so it’s viewed as players jostling for position to get to a ball that nobody has under control. I can’t think of many other situations in which a penalty is called in that kind of circumstance..

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It’s a foul elsewhere on the pitch but, rightly or wrongly, that kind of action is never called a penalty, even with the arm hook. This angle also makes it look like Hojlund had a better chance of reaching the ball before White than he really did. It was a very loose touch.
Disagree

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That looked more of a pen than the Havertz one. I'm surprised all the ex-refs that Sky has on their payroll like Dean and Dermot are saying its a non-starter as Gabriel was stronger and Rasmus had kicked the ball too far ahead to reach it.

Infra-red

It's probably a penalty, but one of those ones where if you get it given against you, you're a bit miffed.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
100% penalty

To be fair, Hojlund and/or Bruno should have made a big deal about it themselves to at least get us a VAR review. Erik was the only person who protested. Why? A penalty-box takedown should be reviewed on VAR but our players brushed it off and ref just moved on.

Anybody who looks down again on Bruno "constantly complaining" to refs, as a captain - remember this.

Last edited:

El Zoido

That looked more of a pen than the Havertz one. I'm surprised all the ex-refs that Sky has on their payroll like Dean and Dermot are saying its a non-starter as Gabriel was stronger and Rasmus had kicked the ball too far ahead to reach it.
He almost gets his foot to it despite being pushed over. Besides, if it’s not a penalty because he’d already lost possession of the ball, then why was the Onana one against Wolves considered a penalty, considering the collision happened well after the Wolves player had lost the ball.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It’s a foul elsewhere on the pitch but, rightly or wrongly, that kind of action is never called a penalty, even with the arm hook. This angle also makes it look like Hojlund had a better chance of reaching the ball before White than he really did. It was a very loose touch.
That would be wrongly :smirk:

I know what you mean in as much as a VAR could feel it's not stonewall enough to intervene this late into a game, in the box etc. etc. But is it a foul? Yes it probably is, and I'm certain fans of other clubs would feel hard done by if it was them. Does the loose touch matter in terms of the rules or should the challenge be judged purely on whether it's a foul or not? (Genuine question as I openly admit to not knowing the rules of football any more).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He almost gets his foot to it despite being pushed over. Besides, if it’s not a penalty because he’d already lost possession of the ball, then why was the Onana one against Wolves considered a penalty, considering the collision happened well after the Wolves player had lost the ball.
Also, wasn't Onana just a little too strong for the Wolves player?

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Foul all day long. Gabriel was no where near him, the ball was gone and he was just throwing himself across his body. Can’t even call it shouldn’t to shoulder, it was shoulder to ribs, he just unbalances him and brings him down.

LDUred

I don't get the 'he was stronger' argument. It just confirms bias.

It's not really about strength anyway, unless Hojlund's supposed to break Gabriel's arm, because that is what is impeding Hojlund's run.

If Hojlund had been 'stronger' in that situation, he would have been penalized and Gabriel would have collapsed to the ground milking it.

The rules state that you play the ball.

One of our players could get decapitated and the likes of Gallagher and Dean would say something like, 'but he left his head in there waiting for the contact'.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
For me it was just on the edge of OK. He got himself between Hojlund and the ball well and Hojlund had a fist full of his shirt too. I think there wasn't enough to say VAR should intervene, but can understand the frustration.

Hojlund himself didn't seem that fussed.

Baneofthegame

Penalty for me, Gabriel initiates the contact and makes no attempt to play the ball, which forces Rasmus to put his arm over him to even attempt to get the ball.

tomaldinho1

It is 100% a penalty. There's genuinely no excusing the arm, the weird body angle because he's been done you can get away with but the wrapping arm is a textbook foul.

Anyone saying Hojlund used him arm as well....duh...what else would he do, not try and get round a player who is falling into him and holding him?

RuudTom83

It seemed like the incident happened when the match was all kicking off and the ref was struggling a bit.

Whenever a penalty is given or in the Havertz case overturned, the ref was never going to award United with a penalty unless is was completely undeniable .

Baneofthegame

For me it was just on the edge of OK. He got himself between Hojlund and the ball well and Hojlund had a fist full of his shirt too. I think there wasn't enough to say VAR should intervene, but can understand the frustration.

I mean he got his arm between Hojlund and the ball which impedes his run in my opinion.

jadaba

Penalty. Gabriel falls a step behind, it's not a shoulder to shoulder outmuscling thing, Højlund gets ahead of Gabriel who wraps his arm around him to pull him down from behind. He's not able to compete for the ball against White because he has already been pulled down from behind.

RedRocket9908

This should have been a penalty, Hojlund was clearly fouled.

The Onana one against Wolves was never a penalty, the ball had already been headed back to another attacker at the point the collision occurred and the person he made contact with wasnt even the one who headed it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He didn’t. Watch it again. At no point did he have any chance of playing the ball. So the whole “shielding the ball” defence is a non starter. It’s such an obvious penalty. You can’t put your hands on someone like that. Even young kids know they’ll give away freekicks and penalties if they grab hold of other players. It’s basic refereeing.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It’s probably called a foul elsewhere on the pitch but, rightly or wrongly, that kind of action is never called a penalty, even with the arm hook. This angle also makes it look like Hojlund had a better chance of reaching the ball before White than he really did. It was a very loose touch and so it’s viewed as players jostling for position to get to a ball that nobody has under control. I can’t think of many other situations in which a penalty is called in that kind of circumstance..
It was called against Bruno in our home game versus Barcelona last season for a far softer contact than yesterday. So it's been given against us and so never is not right here.

Smores

Just a standard tussle for the ball. If that was a penalty every single corner would result in a penalty.