Hojlund penalty shout vs Gabriel | Was it a penalty?

LDUred

Gallagher is blatantly ABU. Sticks up for refs as a general rule and then throws them under the bus if there's a contentious decision against us.

Ekeke

Nah think they're bad angles. Looked to me from the others and in real time that he lost control of ball to the other Arsenal defender. If that isnt that case and he was getting to the ball then yes

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Nah think they're bad angles. Looked to me from the others and in real time that he lost control of ball to the other Arsenal defender. If that isnt that case and he was getting to the ball then yes
He does push the ball too far, Saliba was always collecting that but you can't deny Gabriel is obstructing him a lot. Would be a foul 95% of the time anywhere else on the pitch.
Saliba's presence is a big reason why it was not given, the rest being the refs are incompetent. I would go mental if we have that denied at OT.

cafecillos

It's a very obvious penalty, I don't think it's that debatable either.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He does push the ball too far, Saliba was always collecting that but you can't deny Gabriel is obstructing him a lot. Would be a foul 95% of the time anywhere else on the pitch.
Saliba's presence is a big reason why it was not given, the rest being the refs are incompetent. I would go mental if we have that denied at OT.
A stupid reason, if so. Saliba’s presence is only relevant to whether or not it’s a red card, as well as a penalty.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Incorrect, he would have at the very least contested the ball with Saliba if he was not fouled

tomaldinho1

I find that such a weird justification when they say “you see this all the time”. Well that doesn’t make it right.

I see little sweaty scrotes getting upto no good around Stockport all the time, doesn’t make it right.
You see it all the time outside the box and it’s literally always a foul. You can’t wrap your arms round someone who is going past you, it’s the most basic of rules.

Lentwood

So surprised there isn't a dedicated thread on this. On broadcast, there wasn't even a replay, nevermind a VAR check. Having a decision go our way on opening weekend resulted in an inquest with multiple apologies. Why are the media and oppo fans completely silent on this? Looks like a penalty to me.
Its certainly not stonewall and its definitely not the type of penalty you get at 1-1 in a televised away game vs a rival.

These are the types of penalties referees only tend to give in low pressure situations. For example, say Brentford are playing West Ham in a standard midweek game, or one team is 3-0 down in a game and that happens.

Strange because it's probably a foul but I also wouldn't really be chuffed if it was given against us

awop

Supports
Arsenal
A stupid reason, if so. Saliba’s presence is only relevant to whether or not it’s a red card, as well as a penalty.
It is but in their mind it went: Ball pushed too far while having a somewhat "fair but strong" duel with Gabriel > Saliba collects > meanwhile the duel has become a foul by Gabriel > ball cleared, no pen.

mav_9me

I can't believe the people who are saying it's not a penalty. Esp the 2nd angle clearly shows Gabriel basically first using his arm across Hojlund then using his body weight to get him down.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Pen for me. Defender had no chance of getting the ball, and just took the player out.

Between this and the handball at spurs, that's 2 pens that we should have had already. I know the Onana one we got away with, but i feel by the end of the season we're gonna have more against us than for us.
Wolves were wrongfully denied a penalty.
That had a snowballing effect.
To 'correct' that error we were denied a clear penalty against Spurs which would have changed the outcome of the match in our favour.
Arsenal were correctly denied a penalty.
With the match at 1-1 , the officials did not allow an onside goal to 'allow the teams to share the points'.
There is no agenda against us.

Just lack of courage by match officials to do their job.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd say no because if it was against us, I'd be livid if it was given.

But it's technically a foul. However, we only get a couple of these decisions per season if lucky and that is if we're at home.

It's the type of pen that's automatically given to the scousers, especially at Anfield.

Pogue Mahone

It is but in their mind it went: Ball pushed too far while having a somewhat "fair but strong" duel with Gabriel > Saliba collects > meanwhile the duel has become a foul by Gabriel > ball cleared, no pen.
God help us all if that really is the thought process of the VAR officials. Because it’s nonsensical. Anyway we all know the real thought process was

Shit! That looks like a penalty. But I don’t want to make my mate look bad by getting him to check his second incorrect, home side favouring, big decision of the game. Feck it, I’ll say nothing. Can use the “clear and obvious error” excuse. Again.”

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Thats where the game stops. It doesn’t matter where the ball is in that situation

saivet

I'd be annoyed if it was given against us. That's not to say it's definitely not a penalty but I think it would be a very soft one, so a no from me.

Remember the geese

For me it's the same 40:60 as the Havertz scene (he was kicked but he fell to quickly/lightly).
Yeah Gabriel isn't going for the ball, but i find the "STONEWALL PENALTY!!!" shouts vastly exaggerated. You'd have a penalty after every 2nd corner if this is a stonewall penalty.
Havertz was not kicked.

Giggsy13

I think what’s more infuriating is that this clueless prick Anthony Taylor called the blatant dive by Havertz a penalty but didn’t even take a look at this one. Shambolic officiating as usual from Taylor.

Last edited:

fallengt

It is penalty but given it was a two versus one situation, ref gave Arsenal benefit of the doubt.
Hardly something to cry about. Plenty of these were not given.

CallyRed

Definitely penalty.
Though if it was up the other end 100% not a penalty

Roboc7

It’s one of those decisions that VAR just agrees with whatever the ref has done, if the ref was made to look at it I think he gives a penalty just as he revoked the Havertz one.

Teams should be permitted a challenge to prompt reviews and allow the ref to make the decision. We don’t want everything being reviewed but there is way to much emphasis placed on what ref initially decides.

antk

Slight nuance but even in the case of DOGSO, as it was in the penalty box, it would only have been a red card if the ref considered Gabriel wasn't even attempting to challenge for the ball. Which could also be argued of course considering the type of foul we're discussing.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Fair play for admitting it was a pen, most wouldn’t have

Gordon S

It looks more and more like a pen every time i see it. But stonewall is a tad to far imo.
What pisses me of is the absolute outrage from the media when it is the other way, and not even worth mentioning, not even once when it this way.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
I'm convinced that if Holjund stands up shouting and screaming at the ref, the VAR/ref looks at it again. He should have taken his automatic yellow to maybe get the decision.
A controversy-free game seems impossible in the PL.

DavelinaJolie

That's a penalty to me. He leans into and puts his arm around hojlund to impede him. It's not shoulder to shoulder and his action directd Hojlund away from the ball and to the floor allowing his teammate to collect it ahead of him. If that isn't a penalty I don't know what is.

Rake

Think it was but I'm not surprised it wasn't given by the ref. He let Gabriel get very physical with Hojlund from the very first challenge and it was fairplay to him. Penalty or not, we would be fuming if our defender did this versus another player.

I agree that at least Hojlund should have made a bigger deal out of it to force VAR at least to look at it.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s an obvious penalty although from the first angle I wasn’t sure.

You can see from the opposite side though that he pushes through Hojlund with such force he ends up going flying over himself.

That’s obviously more than jostling from the ball. It’s literally pushing someone over.

Pogue Mahone

Slight nuance but even in the case of DOGSO, as it was in the penalty box, it would only have been a red card if the ref considered Gabriel wasn't even attempting to challenge for the ball. Which could also be argued of course considering the type of foul we're discussing.
Yeah, as soon as I typed that I remembered there had been some recent tweak to the rules that might be relevant here. Thanks for the summary.