Hojlund penalty shout vs Gabriel | Was it a penalty?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Having just looked at the video, then yes definitely a penalty. This is exactly what VAR was supposed to be for. Clear and obvious errors. And I am fat from convinced that the United 2nd goal was actually offside.
But. It wasn't given. And so we have to look forward to stuffing the Gooners when they come to OT.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Penalty. Anybody who disagrees is a knob.
:lol::lol::lol: Peak caf

I've seen them given and not. Arsenal were a bit better yesterday and probably deserved to win 2-1. A draw would have been OK too.

Bondi77

It wasn't given so why cry over spilt milk.
Let us not detract from the fact that we were absolute gash in the first half and were lucky to string one incisive movement together.

Unam333

Arm around Hojlund. A pen for me.
Reminds me of the penalty against Bruno last season. Put his around slightly around the player and a penalty was given.

evil_geko

Even tons of rival fans on here agree it was a pen. Arsenal fans included. The fact that is just brushed over and not mentioned is crazy to me.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Found the incident! Was against Newcastle, not West Ham. 100% a penalty, in my opinion. Same situation where a defender tries to get between the attacker and the ball but lets the ball get away from him and does nothing other than knock the attacker to the ground.

Includes some mind bending justification from Dermot Gallagher for VAR not righting the wrong.
I think they managed to get 3 penalty decisions wrong in that game, it was a very weird performance my the officials.

Andersons Dietician

Didn’t think anything of it at the time and still don’t, ball is away to be taken away from him anyway suppose that could be the thinking of the officials.

SAFMUTD

100% a penalty. I don't know how can anyone argue different. I hope VAR didnt look at it because if they did and they decided its not a penalty then its even worse.

humdinger

Definitely a penalty. Cynical foul with no attempt to play the ball. The fact VAR didn’t flag it as such is shocking.

Cloud7

Looking at the replay it looks like a clear pen to me. In the match itself they did not even show a replay of the incident so I just brushed it off but looking at it now that should be a penalty?

Pav1878

Some idiot Arsenal fan on Football365 mailbox commented it wasn’t a foul and if it was then the Havertz one was also a foul. I mean, it isn’t even close. Hojlund is man handled and brought down, and Havertz just fell over without a touch.

Remember the geese

Some idiot Arsenal fan on Football365 mailbox commented it wasn’t a foul and if it was then the Havertz one was also a foul. I mean, it isn’t even close. Hojlund is man handled and brought down, and Havertz just fell over without a touch.
I had the same argument with a poster on here earlier. He said that both were soft. Well, no. One was non-existent and the other one involved our centre forward getting taken out. I really don't understand what some people see/don't see.

Abraxas

Yes I think it's a penalty.

Physical contact, coming together, shoulder barging okay. In those situations it should be a test of strength and balance.

Arm wrapped around someone, clearly not okay. That's when it moves away from physical competition to something that isn't actually designed to compete for the ball, it's designed simply to stop the attacker by any means.

Weird the refs don't see something like that which is quite clear. The arm is absolutely clear.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No, because Gabriel’s arm was around Hoiland’s waist before Hoijland made contact. Hoijland also didn’t lose his balance until Gabriel made contact. The cool story is simply the rules. Get to know them.
Watch the video. Immediately when Gabriel's arm is stuck out Hojland grabs his arm. Once Gabriel hooks the arms around the body that's when Hojland fans. It's pretty clear in the video since it shows both angles.

AR87

So wrong yet still no comment about Hojland grabbing his arm. Head in the sand.
Gabriel sticks his arm across Hojlund because he's not quick enough to get across or use his body to keep him off the ball. Of course Hojlund is the entitled to try and remove it from his path.

I actually don't think you can rule this a clear and obvious error, but whatever point you think you're making about Hojlund grabbing his arm makes no sense.

Remember the geese

I think it's a pen, but if Taylor hasn't given it while having a clear sight of it it's not enough to be a "clear and obvious" error imo. I obviously get why people disagree with that, but arguing the point that Hojlund grabbed his arm is crazy.
I have no idea what Taylor has seen, but if he is called over to the monitor - he simply has to give it. I'm probably giving him far too much credit, but it would truly baffle me if someone watches that back and thinks "nothing to see here".

RedDevilQuebecois

Stonewall pen. If that kind of cynical foul is punished elsewhere on the pitch, it has to be called inside the box as well.

TopDog

Supports
Bolton
Give over, never a pen, just clever defending. Watch it from another angle and not just this one in op which is cherry picked, it is just a battle of strength.

UDontMessWith24

Watch the video. Immediately when Gabriel's arm is stuck out Hojland grabs his arm. Once Gabriel hooks the arms around the body that's when Hojland fans. It's pretty clear in the video since it shows both angles.
Hoijland makes no contact with Gabriel’s arm until impeding his progress. You’re trolling

frostbite

It was a penalty.

Unfortunately, ETH preferred to talk about Sancho than the penalty and VAR.

DarkXaero

Definite penalty for me after seeing the replay. It didn't look like a penalty in real time but the 2nd replay angle in the clip makes it a blatant foul imo. But expecting VAR to be useful and do its job, it's a tall order.

SAFMUTD

It was a penalty.

Unfortunately, ETH preferred to talk about Sancho than the penalty and VAR.
It's clear you didnt saw the aftermatch interview but hey its about writing not checking facts huh

frostbite

It's clear you didnt saw the aftermatch interview but hey its about writing not checking facts huh
Did ETH say something like this? "I am not here to talk about players that did not take part in this game, I am here to talk about the game, and the penalty that was not given."

AR87

Did ETH say something like this? "I am not here to talk about players that did not take part in this game, I am here to talk about the game, and the penalty that was not given."
That's the only answer he can give that he can give to express displeasure about VAR? He clearly was upset about it and made it a point to discuss it. Just because something else was also discussed doesn't change that.