Hojlund penalty shout vs Gabriel | Was it a penalty?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just a standard tussle for the ball. If that was a penalty every single corner would result in a penalty.
The obvious difference being that in none of the tussles for position at a corner do either player start in possession of the football. There’s a world of difference between those two scenarios.

As soon as you challenge a player who is dribbling the ball, the onus is on you to make sure that any contact is either shoulder to shoulder, in the process of making a clean tackle, or shielding the ball after you get between the player and the football. Otherwise it’s a foul. None of these things happened here.

Judas

Open to offers
It will have 100 percent been looked at by VAR, the commentary said it was too. It’s sort of a penalty? It would be a bit soft and I’d hate to see it given against us, but it was a clumsy challenge.

tomaldinho1

100% penalty

To be fair, Hojlund and/or Bruno should have made a big deal about it themselves to at least get us a VAR review. Erik was the only person who protested. Why? A penalty-box takedown should be reviewed on VAR but our players brushed it off and ref just moved on.

Anybody who looks down again on Bruno "constantly complaining" to refs, as a captain - remember this.
It's more he should use it more tactically, I feel like refs just ignore him now because he appeals for every single possible thing. He needs to be backed up/complimnted though, if someone like Rashford, quite a quiet player, runs over and makes a big deal of it, I think it gathers a lot more momentum and sadly VAR are about as weak willed as they come and in an away stadium you need to pressure them.

caid

Maybe, probably just about by a tiny, tiny margin. Showing it in slow motion probably doesn't help (or does if you want it to look like a penalty).
Its not a decision i'd expect to get that often, can be dismissed as a tussle for the ball. Then again if its the other way around then the ref will give a free out every time imo

Shinjch

Am I the only one who remembers the commentator saying that the incident did get checked by VAR? Could have sworn that’s what he said? This was on Sky Sports coverage.
Yea, I am 99% sure that was said by Drury. Then it was just brushed off and never spoke about again during the rest of the game coverage.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Pen for me. Defender had no chance of getting the ball, and just took the player out.

Between this and the handball at spurs, that's 2 pens that we should have had already. I know the Onana one we got away with, but i feel by the end of the season we're gonna have more against us than for us.

Red_Aaron

Mike Dean says he was just standing his ground

By spinning 180, taking 4 steps and wrapping his arm around the attacker before falling to the ground

Yep, totally just standing his ground

Smores

The obvious difference being that in none of the tussles for position at a corner do either player start in possession of the football. There’s a world of difference between those two scenarios.

As soon as you challenge a player who is dribbling the ball, the onus is on you to make sure that any contact is either shoulder to shoulder, in the process of making a clean tackle, or shielding the ball after you get between the player and the football. Otherwise it’s a foul. None of these things happened here.
Might be being stupid but I don't think that's an actual rule is it? I thought the only criteria was if the ball is in play hence grabbing here and on a corner should be equal.

Still never a foul for me either way, players use their body all the time and if we start giving pens for those situations then its a slippery slope. In the PL its rarely a pen and I'm glad that's the case.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's a definite foul. Arm across the body to obstruct him, and then takes him out by leaning and falling into him with all his body weight. It's one of those that would no doubt be given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Commentary did say it was VAR reviewed, but it was reviewed very quickly and decided whilst the ball was still in play. Sky showed no replay of it during the game though.

Still don't think it was as egregious as the 'offside' though. There's no way you can say with 100% certainty that a call that tight was offside. If that was Arsenal getting a goal disallowed, I'd feel we absolutely just got away with one.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He didn’t. Watch it again. At no point did he have any chance of playing the ball. So the whole “shielding the ball” defence is a non starter. It’s such an obvious penalty. You can’t put your hands on someone like that. Even young kids know they’ll give away freekicks and penalties if they grab hold of other players. It’s basic refereeing.
Ok, maybe not well. Poor choice of words. I still don't think it's as stone wall as it's made out. At the time, I felt as though it was on the edge, but didn't expect much from it as they were tussling with each other as soon as he came on.

This sort of thing I feel as though Martinez does every week, so I'm erring on side of caution.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Dermot Gallagher doesn't think it was a penalty:

DERMOT SAYS: There's physical contact but the defender is just too strong. Hojlund pushes the ball too far and Gabriel holds his ground, he doesn't do anything wrong.

You see this all the time and I'd have been stunned if Anthony Taylor had given anything for it.

Edit: I should add, 100% penalty for me. The 2nd camera angle shows that gabriel basically takes Hojlund out.

PSV

It's never in a million years a penalty. If it is you can't even defend anymore.

Gabriel tries to shield the ball and Rasmus grabs and holds onto his arm. He couldn't even pull out of that challenge.

Chief123

Am I the only one who remembers the commentator saying that the incident did get checked by VAR? Could have sworn that’s what he said? This was on Sky Sports coverage.
Yes he did say that and yes most incidents like this get checked. There seems to often be a misconception they don’t check all incidents. They do check them but just don’t need to stop the game for most of them.

The commentators did mention they checked it and decided there was no issue.

I personally think if the referee gave the penalty, then VAR would not have over turned it. And vice versa like was the case.

fergosaurus

I've watched the clip multiple times and still can't make my mind up. Same with his tussle with Evans who also has his hands all over Gabriel. At the time I thought they should both have been in our favour but now I'm not so sure. I'd be raging if they were given against us.

Dr. T

According to one of the talking heads (Dean or Gallagher, can't remember), Gabriel was 'standing his ground' against Hojlund. Which is a funny interpretation of what 'standing' means.

Becks_VII

Probably about 60/40 towards a pen for me. Not a clear one by any means and not a huge deal when it's not given, but it was one of those days that a lot of things went against us.
This is my view also. If it went to VAR would not have been overturned me thinks.

Im still more annoyed at the offside goal disallowed!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok, maybe not well. Poor choice of words. I still don't think it's as stone wall as it's made out. At the time, I felt as though it was on the edge, but didn't expect much from it as they were tussling with each other as soon as he came on.

This sort of thing I feel as though Martinez does every week, so I'm erring on side of caution.
I think Varane got away with something similar last season (can’t remember against who? maybe West Ham?) I thought that was a nailed on penalty too.

Chief123

DERMOT SAYS: There's physical contact but the defender is just too strong. Hojlund pushes the ball too far and Gabriel holds his ground, he doesn't do anything wrong.

You see this all the time and I'd have been stunned if Anthony Taylor had given anything for it.

Edit: I should add, 100% penalty for me. The 2nd camera angle shows that gabriel basically takes Hojlund out.
I find that such a weird justification when they say “you see this all the time”. Well that doesn’t make it right.

I see little sweaty scrotes getting upto no good around Stockport all the time, doesn’t make it right.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Dermot is an absolute helmet, stronger argument I could buy if Gabriel was shoulder to shoulder and just bullies him to the side. But, in here Hojlund gets away from him and you can see Gabriel clumsily trying to wrestle him to the ground by wrapping his arms around his waist.

Conspicuously Arsenal fans haven't uttered a word on this in any of the threads since yesterday.

jadaba

It's never in a million years a penalty. If it is you can't even defend anymore.

Gabriel tries to shield the ball and Rasmus grabs and holds onto his arm. He couldn't even pull out of that challenge.
Is it possible to shield a ball when you're behind the player who has possession of it?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

:lol:

Shielding the ball when attacker has gotten away from you. Also, on what planet Hojlund grabs and holds onto his arm? Gabriel has his arms around his waist to bring him down, and he is trying to get away from him trying to reach the ball. Seriously, go visit a specsavers.

RedOrange

It will have 100 percent been looked at by VAR, the commentary said it was too. It’s sort of a penalty? It would be a bit soft and I’d hate to see it given against us, but it was a clumsy challenge.
The thing that pushes it over the edge for me is that there is no attempt whatsoever from the defender to play the ball. It's fine to use your body to get better position to play the ball, but all he's doing there is hauling Hojlund down because he lost position completely.

MDFC Manager

Penalty of course.

Laughable explanation (or rather excuse) from the 'expert'

Westerkerk

Not for me, but I could be persuaded, but in any case, you'll see these types of fouls, inside and outside the box, given this season

That's why people get annoyed at the inconsistencies on show in this game

MDFC Manager

So surprised there isn't a dedicated thread on this. On broadcast, there wasn't even a replay, nevermind a VAR check. Having a decision go our way on opening weekend resulted in an inquest with multiple apologies. Why are the media and oppo fans completely silent on this? Looks like a penalty to me.
Ten Hag seems to have had a great view from his angle in the video. Goes up instantly.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I'm unsure but the foul part for me is actually gabriels left leg.

But im very on the fence for this one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The thing that pushes it over the edge for me is that there is no attempt whatsoever from the defender to play the ball. It's fine to use your body to get better position to play the ball, but all he's doing there is hauling Hojlund down because he lost position completely.
Yeah, that’s my opinion too. And there’s no attempt to play the ball because he’s never in a position to play the ball. Watch his feet and the ball closely. He tries to get between Hojlund and the ball but fails. Which is why he resorts to blocking Hojlund’s run with his arm and falling over. If he hadn’t done that then Hojlund is 100% getting away from him in possession of the ball.

It’s the sort of cynical foul teams like City do in midfield to break up opposition counters and we all rant and rave about why they never get booked for it.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
For me it was just on the edge of OK. He got himself between Hojlund and the ball well and Hojlund had a fist full of his shirt too. I think there wasn't enough to say VAR should intervene, but can understand the frustration.

Hojlund himself didn't seem that fussed.
Does he? Looks like he's trying to get Gabriels hand off of him.

Old Ma Crow

Interestingly the VAR don't consistently show all the angles they've reviewed when they come to their decision at the time, nor do they talk through that process for the viewer. No wonder people question their competency/fairness. They have to be as transparent as possible.

Devil You Know

Referee pundits are useless. They ALWAYS agree with their mates' decisions and then try to justify it on air, no matter how wrong everyone can see it was.

I can't remember which game it was, but there was an example this weekend where the ref on the air said that an on-the-field decision was correct, only for it to be overturned by VAR and then flip-flopping to say that actually the VAR decision was correct based on the exact same replay. He never even addressed his change of opinion, but the commentator just went along with it as it nothing weird had just happened.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
For me it's the same 40:60 as the Havertz scene (he was kicked but he fell to quickly/lightly).
Yeah Gabriel isn't going for the ball, but i find the "STONEWALL PENALTY!!!" shouts vastly exaggerated. You'd have a penalty after every 2nd corner if this is a stonewall penalty.