Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

)_(

@Moby
I have the same problem as @Ainu in that I get impatient with THK and die in stupid ways because of that. My set up is 100% for radiance atm. My set up is grubsong, livebloodcore, shaman stone and soul catcher. I tried out a few different things but I definitely need something to up my mask count and grubsong is great because I'm guaranteed to get hit at some point and it gives me nearly enough soul to get a full heal or shriek.
I've become pretty decent at avoiding the orbs but if they spawn near you its an issue. The biggest problem for me is that once I get hit by something I get offbalanced and get fecked basically. Those vertical nails are a pain. I saw fireb0rn use downstrike on them, definitely not something I'm going to attempt :')

I have zero interest in doing the pantheons tbh. Bossfights aren't really my thing but I guess would be a good way to practise if I ever attempt a speedrun.

@Dirty Schwein beat hornet 2 in one go, might be the only boss I've ever managed that on except for dung defender and most dreamwarriors. Completely cheesed the failed champion, I wasn't making any progress on it and needed the essence so decided to go the cheese route and still managed to die once :')
Completely forgot about salubra's blessing too, thanks for reminding me... saves me time having to go out of the temple to farm soul.

@dumbo good to know, I've used spells on him a few times during those moments...
I've only been incorporating spells into my fighting towards the end of my playthrough.. I don't think I've ever used descending dark in a fight but I'll have to give it a try, I know you get a bit of invincibility with it. I hope to get to the second phase someday and keep your tips in mind, somehow managed it during my first time and only once or twice since then. I need to be more aware of my health cause I just keep shrieking her as much as I can and not finding the time to heal and before I know it I'm down to two masks and get killed by something silly.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Healing on the first phase is risky, I generally don't do it. After the first phase you can heal up to about 6 masks if you have the soul so it's often better to get your own hits in. If you start getting low on health in the first phase save the soul and just use the nail on her because you'll need the health. The damage with quick slash and Unbreakable Strength is considerable and only slightly less useful than Abyss Shriek. The other thing is that I only ever use Abyss Shriek when I'm out of range of any possible damage. It's actually quite risky to use against her because of the vulnerable casting frames. As Dirty Shwein says use it at the beginning before the attacks starts but after that I personally would use it very sparingly and I find the nail more reliable.

Two more tips: In the first phase after she teleports wait for her attack before you attack. Don't try to trade blows with her, as tempting as it is because she hits harder. After her attack though she will give you a window before she attacks again (just keep in mind the spikes from left and right and the wipe will still come.)
Also in the first phase it is often a good idea to dash through the light-wipe before it reaches halfway, because The Radiance will rarely attack before it goes past halfway at which point you will then have to avoid the wipe and her own attacks.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@Moby
My set up is grubsong, livebloodcore, shaman stone and soul catcher.
Wow I would be worried myself going in with that setup:lol:. Lifeblood core and soul catcher are terribly inefficient. Do you have all the charms, notches and upgrades? Lifeblood core will last you one and a half Radiance hits.

If you don't have the unbreakable charms then Quick Slash, Shaman Stone and Spell Twister are essentials. And then Long Nail or Mark of Pride would be my pick for you. Grubsong is a good one though.

)_(

Wow I would be worried myself going in with that setup:lol:. Lifeblood core and soul catcher are terribly inefficient. Do you have all the charms, notches and upgrades? Lifeblood core will last you one and a half Radiance hits.

If you don't have the unbreakable charms then Quick Slash, Shaman Stone and Spell Twister are essentials. And then Long Nail or Mark of Pride would be my pick for you. Grubsong is a good one though.
Lifeblood heart not core I meant and some other stuff too. But I've tried every possible set up and none of it has really worked so far. I need the lifeblood charms because I need the health and then I might possibly get through it with a bit of luck. Soul catcher because soul eater takes up too much space that I need for other charms. I have all the charms, notches and upgrades.

Yea I had that issue with the light wall that I waited too long and then she started attacking with other things, I should also save my dashes for these moments and just walk when I can to avoid things because now I keep wasting some shadowdashes on things that don't need it.

Tried it again a few times just now till I got sick of it. I am slowly getting a bit better at dodging things but usually if I hit one thing and I get off balance and it'll go downhill from there.

Good to know, I tried to attack her a few times after she teleported and got fecked. I just need to remember that dodging is the number one priority and not attacking. I keep going full on but that doesn't work in this fight.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Lifeblood heart not core I meant and some other stuff too. But I've tried every possible set up and none of it has really worked so far. I need the lifeblood charms because I need the health and then I might possibly get through it with a bit of luck. Soul catcher because soul eater takes up too much space that I need for other charms. I have all the charms, notches and upgrades.

Yea I had that issue with the light wall that I waited too long and then she started attacking with other things, I should also save my dashes for these moments and just walk when I can to avoid things because now I keep wasting some shadowdashes on things that don't need it.

Tried it again a few times just now till I got sick of it. I am slowly getting a bit better at dodging things but usually if I hit one thing and I get off balance and it'll go downhill from there.

Good to know, I tried to attack her a few times after she teleported and got fecked. I just need to remember that dodging is the number one priority and not attacking. I keep going full on but that doesn't work in this fight.
You're hands are gonna sweat when you get to the final stage :lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I believe Spell Twister is twice as soul efficient as Soul Catcher.

Quick Focus would be another option instead of Soul Catcher and lifeblood heart. It would allow you to heal in the first phase of Radiance.

I think your damage per second is too low with the current build.

)_(

You're hands are gonna sweat when you get to the final stage :lol:
I cant tell you how many times I've somehow managed to open screenrecorder or the ps4 menu screen during these fights. No clue how cause my fingers aren't supposed to be anywhere near these buttons.
I believe Spell Twister is twice as soul efficient as Soul Catcher.

Quick Focus would be another option instead of Soul Catcher and lifeblood heart. It would allow you to heal in the first phase of Radiance.

I think your damage per second is too low with the current build.
Okay might give this a try. I've given a life build a try but I kept getting fecked by thk somehow. It did give me the opportunity to practise dodging in the radiance fight for longer so it was useful for that at least but it doesn't really work in a fight where you need to get as much damage in every opportunity you get.

This moth just needs to die at this point.

Moby

Dick who hates the homeless
I cant tell you how many times I've somehow managed to open screenrecorder or the ps4 menu screen during these fights. No clue how cause my fingers aren't supposed to be anywhere near these buttons.

Okay might give this a try. I've given a life build a try but I kept getting fecked by thk somehow. It did give me the opportunity to practise dodging in the radiance fight for longer so it was useful for that at least but it doesn't really work in a fight where you need to get as much damage in every opportunity you get.

This moth just needs to die at this point.
Bro screw the lifeblood and stuff like that. Spell twister and shamans stone are absolute necessity. Beyond that take your pick between strength quick slash and long nail. The key things for me getting past phase two with abyss shriek spam. Then phase 3 is easy as hell you just jump and smash it and collect soul. Heal before phase 4 then like Dumbo said wait on lower platforms. Long nail will help in getting strikes in at that point plus that's where you need to find healing windows. That's what I had in the one run I completed. Beyond that it's just the climb and one hit so that phase 4 is mainly the game changer. But those two spell charms finish first two phases which is where most people end up taking most damage.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@dumbo you might wanna try this.

Oh yeah I saw that earlier when looking for mod ideas to try. Very neat. I'm not sure if that Pantheon mod has been released yet but I think you can get all the modded bosses individually. I've only just started playing around with the installer. I tried one of the Mantis Lords mods and it was super quick and hard.

The use of the melody charm was interesting. I have it on one of my completion saves so I might try it out with some mods. I also still have the white mask which is apparently viable.

More impressive than the skill of the players is the designs of some of these mods. Someone turned the Radiance into a bullet hell and another imported a Cuphead level.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I've started working my way through the mod bosses. I just did Mantis Gods which were really fun once you get into the rhythm. Not too hard, and only took me about 10 minutes. If you stock up on soul on the first Mantis and then abuse D-Dark on the other two you can avoid most of the chaos.

Here's them done by an expert without DD:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
And Tribe of Battle. Was harder than Mantis Gods because they have more health and you can't just abuse DD. It's a real clusterfecck of a fight and I just scrambled through it.

Done well it looks like this:

Will try some more tomorrow.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've started working my way through the mod bosses. I just did Mantis Gods which were really fun once you get into the rhythm. Not too hard, and only took me about 10 minutes. If you stock up on soul on the first Mantis and then abuse D-Dark on the other two you can avoid most of the chaos.

Here's them done by an expert without DD:
I remember seeing this (or a video like this) when I first started the game and therefore avoided Mantis Lords (thinking this was that) in the actual game. When I finally faced them, it was one of the easiest battles in the game. Probably because this video scared me :lol:

)_(

fecksake, finally got to the last phase. I didn't even realise at first and was just confused about where she was so then I started moving up and managed to get fecked by the void twice as I was dodging the beams and then as you can imagine, I got to the last platform and got hit by a fecking beam with only two masks left but enough soul for 1 or 2 heals.

Pantheon of nightmares looks nuts and then you hear fireb0rn say he removed the lifeblood cocoons because that would make it too easy....