Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I finally got around to starting this. Reading this thread my struggles in the first few hours do not bode well for what lies ahead :nervous:
You'll be fine. As the game gets more difficult, you get better too. A lot of the hardest things are optional but by that point, you'll be loving it so much that you'll WANT to do them.

It took me a while to get into the game but it ended up being one of my all time favourite games. Loved it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nah just keep going you pick up the timings of each enemy as you fight (and fall to) them. Then they become easy even though you struggled at first.
You'll be fine. As the game gets more difficult, you get better too. A lot of the hardest things are optional but by that point, you'll be loving it so much that you'll WANT to do them.

It took me a while to get into the game but it ended up being one of my all time favourite games. Loved it.
Yeah it's never unfair, just a bit of trial and error. The mortar spewing dude in forgotten crossroads is seriously kicking my arse though.

Edit: OK beat him

Moby

Dick
Yeah it's never unfair, just a bit of trial and error. The mortar spewing dude in forgotten crossroads is seriously kicking my arse though.

Edit: OK beat him
Get used to it. It's the theme of the whole game. Get you ass kicked. Learn. Beat them and you won't remember why you ever lost in the first place.

It's a legendary game. Exploring each area for the first time is unforgettable.

Don't hesitate in looking stuff up or asking here. It's meant to feel like you're lost at times.

Woodzy

I forbid this thread from getting bumped until Silksong release date is announced. I’ve come in here disappointed too many times.

)_(

Get used to it. It's the theme of the whole game. Get you ass kicked. Learn. Beat them and you won't remember why you ever lost in the first place.

It's a legendary game. Exploring each area for the first time is unforgettable.

Don't hesitate in looking stuff up or asking here. It's meant to feel like you're lost at times.
Yes, that's definitely the case with most bosses.

And allow yourself to be lost at times too, it's part of the beauty of the game imo.

I've watched a lot of first timers play this game and it's always interesting to see how differently everyone goes about it and get where they are at different points in the game.

Moby

Dick
Silksong or no, the Soul Master can suck my hairy balls.
:lol: Welcome to the point where a lot of people end up quitting. I was one of them, I quit at the Soul Sanctum. But trust me once you beat him, you'd be kicking his ass with your eyes closes. It's an excellent fight for that point in the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
:lol: Welcome to the point where a lot of people end up quitting. I was one of them, I quit at the Soul Sanctum. But trust me once you beat him, you'd be kicking his ass with your eyes closes. It's an excellent fight for that point in the game.
I best him now. Decided to focus on only dodging him without attacking for a while then slowly worked in a hit here and there.

I was super pumped and stupidly died twice in a row on a dumb normal enemy soon after and lost all the geo it got me :(

Excellent game though.

Moby

Dick
I was super pumped and stupidly died twice in a row on a dumb normal enemy soon after and lost all the geo it got me :(
Haha yeah you'd think you've finished a boss fight so you can roam around in peace for two mins. Nah here's a bunch of follies spawning in the whole room.

Keep upgrading as you go along. These regular enemies become much easier.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Should I just sell all the relics to the snobbish cnut in the city of tears?

Moby

Dick
Been a long while since a caught a live stream but pretty much sat through the last 3-4 hours of this. They didn't get Mantis Claw till around 4 hours into the run which had them going through all kinda of rooms (including White Palace and PoP!) without the claw. Both reb0 and rel were streaming, I was obviously watching the reb0 one and he just attempted one crazy skip after another to compensate for no claw. It's insane how much he could improvise on the spot in terms of figuring out exact pixels and timing and actually got a few skips done. And then the last hour or so looking for Black egg and never finding it anywhere. :lol: Brilliant run overall.

)_(

Been a long while since a caught a live stream but pretty much sat through the last 3-4 hours of this. They didn't get Mantis Claw till around 4 hours into the run which had them going through all kinda of rooms (including White Palace and PoP!) without the claw. Both reb0 and rel were streaming, I was obviously watching the reb0 one and he just attempted one crazy skip after another to compensate for no claw. It's insane how much he could improvise on the spot in terms of figuring out exact pixels and timing and actually got a few skips done. And then the last hour or so looking for Black egg and never finding it anywhere. :lol: Brilliant run overall.

Been wanting to watch this, saw bits of it. Looking forward to it, love seeing those things that I wouldn't even think of. I actually love watching randomisers, it's a lot of fun and high chance of shenanigans and jank especially if you're also doing enemy rando but something like item rando is also fun. Need to get into actually playing one of those but haven't bought it for my laptop yet.

I'm currently stuck on p3, mostly on grimm but the one time I got past him I lost a ton of health to galien for no reason and then died ingloriously to gpz.

Ainu

Been wanting to watch this, saw bits of it. Looking forward to it, love seeing those things that I wouldn't even think of. I actually love watching randomisers, it's a lot of fun and high chance of shenanigans and jank especially if you're also doing enemy rando but something like item rando is also fun. Need to get into actually playing one of those but haven't bought it for my laptop yet.

I'm currently stuck on p3, mostly on grimm but the one time I got past him I lost a ton of health to galien for no reason and then died ingloriously to gpz.
If you're struggling with Grimm I would stop doing P3 runs and just go practice him in the hall of gods. He's that type of boss that seems hard but becomes trivial with a good amount of practice.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just took down the Nosk boss in Deepnest. Got me a fair few times.

Moby

Dick
of. I actually love watching randomisers, it's a lot of fun and high chance of shenanigans and jank especially if you're also doing enemy rando but something like item rando is also fun.
They're amazing. Room randos in a game that's already a maze like this is utterly mental. I can't think of a crazier test of memory than keeping track of paths including all the hidden rooms. I tried a lot to follow them but it was just crazy and I almost felt they were cheating when they were able to retrace the routes. While at the same focussing on traversal without one of the primary movement ability.

Enemy + item randos are really sick as well. You can pretty much run into abs rad at the false knight room with no spells or anything. :lol:

Ainu

When do we get the one that plays from 1:46:00 onwards? Absolutely love that one.

Description says Bonebottom, which is a Silksong location. After looking it up, it appears to be the first town and hub location, similar to Dirtmouth.

amolbhatia50k

Such a great game. The end of the first Trial of the Fools was such a brilliant touch. Done 2 now. At times, I spend time wondering what I have to do next (I've just got the HK left in the base game) which can be a slight waste of time but that's part of the mechanics that make it a special game.

I don't think I've done any of the DLC content yet though. Still figuring out how to activate them.

)_(

When do we get the one that plays from 1:46:00 onwards? Absolutely love that one.

I've listened to that video quite a bit myself. HK really has amazing music for any mood. Didn't know that bit was from bonebottom though. This just makes me want Silksong even more, can't wait to hear what Larkin has come up with next.

Such a great game. The end of the first Trial of the Fools was such a brilliant touch. Done 2 now. At times, I spend time wondering what I have to do next (I've just got the HK left in the base game) which can be a slight waste of time but that's part of the mechanics that make it a special game.

I don't think I've done any of the DLC content yet though. Still figuring out how to activate them.
It really is an amazing game and as someone who googled a lot of it, I'd suggest figuring it out yourself because that's really part of what makes it special and there's always the caf to ask what to do next without spoiling too much. And yea, like you said, wasting a bit of time wandering about thinking what to do next really is part of it and sometimes you discover completely new things while doing that. And if all else fails there's always Elderbug.

amolbhatia50k

I've listened to that video quite a bit myself. HK really has amazing music for any mood. Didn't know that bit was from bonebottom though. This just makes me want Silksong even more, can't wait to hear what Larkin has come up with next.

It really is an amazing game and as someone who googled a lot of it, I'd suggest figuring it out yourself because that's really part of what makes it special and there's always the caf to ask what to do next without spoiling too much. And yea, like you said, wasting a bit of time wandering about thinking what to do next really is part of it and sometimes you discover completely new things while doing that. And if all else fails there's always Elderbug.
I've mostly been doing it without the help of Google. If I struggle with a boss I just come back when I'm stronger. Except for the Watcher Knights. Had to use a tactic I read online. Aside from them all the bosses have been challenging but fair.

amolbhatia50k

Finally beat the dream bosses required required to upgrade the dream sword thing. Phew. Collosium of fools final round still too difficult. Such a great game.

)_(

Finally beat the dream bosses required required to upgrade the dream sword thing. Phew. Collosium of fools final round still too difficult. Such a great game.
I didn't do colo 3 until I'd long since beaten the game, it's definitely a challenge. And enjoy what the awoken dream nail gives you access too :P

edit: i just installed hk on my laptop, want to try out some randos if my laptop can handle it.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

I didn't do colo 3 until I'd long since beaten the game, it's definitely a challenge. And enjoy what the awoken dream nail gives you access too :P

edit: i just installed hk on my laptop, want to try out some randos if my laptop can handle it.
What does if give access to other than the White Palace? I've done the base. Trying Trying wrap up the dream warriors I haven't beaten. Surprised my completion is still 93% given I just found two new charms and beat the Soul Tyrrant. Doubt I'll be getting it up very high (lol) as I'm not much of a completionist.

Moby

Dick
What does if give access to other than the White Palace? I've done the base. Trying Trying wrap up the dream warriors I haven't beaten. Surprised my completion is still 93% given I just found two new charms and beat the Soul Tyrrant. Doubt I'll be getting it up very high (lol) as I'm not much of a completionist.
Awoken Dream Nail is only for White Palace. But your final essence milestone is at 2400.

Ainu

Enjoy the White Palace, that soundtrack. :drool: And explore the side area of course, for a fantastic reward at the end.
Lol, sorry

amolbhatia50k

Enjoy the White Palace, that soundtrack. :drool: And explore the side area of course, for a fantastic reward at the end.
Lol, sorry
Genuinely don't know where the side area was. The platforming was brilliant though. Really really loved it. When a game like Celeste makes platforming the core mechanic it gets boring but when it's given in dozes as it is in HK it works really well especially the stuff in the white palace.

Ainu

Genuinely don't know where the side area was. The platforming was brilliant though. Really really loved it. When a game like Celeste makes platforming the core mechanic it gets boring but when it's given in dozes as it is in HK it works really well especially the stuff in the white palace.
It's pretty much impossible to find unless you know where it is. You access it by jumping through a bit of wall with zero indication there's anything behind, unlike the visibly breakable walls you see in other areas. I guess they really didn't want players to access it accidentally, and rightly so. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

It's pretty much impossible to find unless you know where it is. You access it by jumping through a bit of wall with zero indication there's anything behind, unlike the visibly breakable walls you see in other areas. I guess they really didn't want players to access it accidentally, and rightly so. :lol:
I feel I'm done with the game. I'd say I'm an average level player at this one and while it's been such a brilliant experience, not really seeing the point in playing further given I don't bother with trophies/completionist-ism on any game. Any real incentive to play stuff like the hall of gods/grimme ? Mainly the challenge of it right?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I feel I'm done with the game. I'd say I'm an average level player at this one and while it's been such a brilliant experience, not really seeing the point in playing further given I don't bother with trophies/completionist-ism on any game. Any real incentive to play stuff like the hall of gods/grimme ? Mainly the challenge of it right?
I got to 107% and I'm not very good so I think that's doable for most people. Anything beyond that is for crazy nutters. There skill needed for that last 5% is beyond me I reckon. It's just for challenge sake I think.