Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

)_(

That was the worst fecking bit for me as well. The one with the wingsmoulds. Took me absolute hours.

That entire day (and night) that it took me to do the Palace, man, that took something away from my life that I'll never get back. Genuinely go into a frenzy just by looking at those rooms.
Yea, not sure why that bit was such a struggle compared to all the rest of it but I'm glad to see it wasn't just me :lol: it really does get a lot easier though, even just the second time around, especially when you learn some of the skips.

I pretty much gave up at this point, played the game twice over now trying to do some ridiculous things like dream nailing everyone just to kill time. I hope my grandkids enjoy Silksong very much.
There's always stuff like speedrunning, rando or steel soul to do if you're really bored. I've been keeping busy with the randomiser lately. Speedrunning isn't really my thing, too much grinding. But hey, great news, silksong is going to be coming out within the next 11 months so hang in there :lol:

Ainu

I've run through it so many times now that I've almost forgotten the trauma of that first time and taking two separate 45 min sessions to get up that bit next to path of pain up to the balcony bench.

It took me more than 2 hours to defeat Hornet the first time. I came in here cause I couldn't even beat one of the easiest mini bosses. Now I've beaten one of the hardest bosses in the game. And I regularly do the hard (though not the hardest) platforming section now. The point of all this is to say... I too was absolute garbage at this game and now I'm half way decent. So keep at it! It's definitely worth it imo to persevere.

I feel the same way when I play through it now. How the hell was soul warrior of all things so difficult for me :lol: not gonna lie though, there's still some bosses I struggle with without upgrades when I play randomizer.
Honestly, I'm almost certain I'd struggle a lot with that. I'm so used to playing all of the bosses over and over and over with all upgrades for the Pantheon that a lot of moves have become almost permanent muscle memory. Doing Watcher Knights in a 2.5 hour speedrun without stuff like double jump and, crucially, shade cloak, made me realize just how hard they can be.

)_(

Honestly, I'm almost certain I'd struggle a lot with that. I'm so used to playing all of the bosses over and over and over with all upgrades for the Pantheon that a lot of moves have become almost permanent muscle memory. Doing Watcher Knights in a 2.5 hour speedrun without stuff like double jump and, crucially, shade cloak, made me realize just how hard they can be.
Yea that's why I enjoy playing rando because it's different every time which equipment you have to deal with the bosses. Once you get used to something like pantheons, no matter how hard it is, it's difficult to get used to not being fully equipped. This is definitely something I've noticed in randos when I have to fight mid/later game bosses without my now so trust ddark. Being stuck at watchers for nearly 2 hours made me realise I don't enjoy speedrunning :lol: It's zero fun trying to beat them with zero (or one) nail upgrades and only vs. I guess I could've tried another category than any% nmg but those take a lot longer too. Rando might be slower but I can see noticeable improvements in my movement and fighting skills even if I haven't bothered properly learning skips and movements yet and am mostly relying on luck.

I quit there as well the first time. :lol: Still hate that cnut even if it is a piece of cake now.

That whole area wrecks so many people first time out.
Makes absolutely no sense looking back on it but I couldn't do it :lol:

If you don't die in that area at least three times in your first playthrough are you even really playing hollow knight? They don't call it hell room for nothing, that room with the three soul twisters.

I get frustrated watching a lot of first time players but really I can't talk with how much I struggled with the simplest bosses and basic platforming :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think this might be the greatest game ever made you know…
Bumping this without a Silksong release date should be ban worth.

Also I think you may be right. Its damn close.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I was gonna do this but didn't wanna break hearts... Absolute knobber but can't disagree with him :lol:

Woodzy

To be fair, I’ve fallen victim to this about twice so it’s about time I had a go.

Woodzy

City of Tears soundtrack is beautiful.

Just beat Mantis Lords on my new playthrough. They are so damn easy compared to when I first tried them years ago.

Im gonna aim for full completion before Silksong (which could be years at this rate).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think this might be the greatest game ever made you know…
It's up there in the conversation.

City of Tears soundtrack is beautiful.

Just beat Mantis Lords on my new playthrough. They are so damn easy compared to when I first tried them years ago.

Im gonna aim for full completion before Silksong (which could be years at this rate).
So much of the soundtrack is fantastic. Hornet's theme, City of Tears and Grimm are the highlights.

Proper fecking boss battle music.

Ainu

Just Nightmare Grimm to beat and then I’ve finally got that 112%
You were only at Mantis Lords last Sunday and since then you've done the rest of the game, all dream bosses, trial of the fool, the white palace, 4 pantheons and only have NKG left? I'm going to assume you already did most of that at least once before in previous runs, but even then this is impressive!

Woodzy

You were only at Mantis Lords last Sunday and since then you've done the rest of the game, all dream bosses, trial of the fool, the white palace, 4 pantheons and only have NKG left? I'm going to assume you already did most of that at least once before in previous runs, but even then this is impressive!
I've been through the game three times before :lol: In the list above the Trial of the Fool is the one i've never magaged before and of course NKG. You can fly through this game tbh once you vaguely know where you are going. Rembering where mask, charms and shards are is a pain but the grubs are easy once you get the map from Collector. I'll check play time later but I reckon it's around 10 hours.

I haven't done the pantheons before either though, I didn't think they counted towards the 112% ffs.

Ainu

I've been through the game three times before :lol: In the list above the Trial of the Fool is the one i've never magaged before and of course NKG. You can fly through this game tbh once you vaguely know where you are going. Rembering where mask, charms and shards are is a pain but the grubs are easy once you get the map from Collector. I'll check play time later but I reckon it's around 10 hours.

I haven't done the pantheons before either though, I didn't think they counted towards the 112% ffs.
They do, sorry! :lol: You'll be relieved to hear that the fifth one isn't required, but you do need the other four. Depending on how proficient you are at the bosses, they will go down pretty quickly with all upgrades and the right charms, but the last boss of the fourth one will take some practice. It's easily one of my favourite boss fights in the game, though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The pantheons is the only thing I haven't done. I just hate boss rush modes... And I'm the type of person who HAS to finish what they start but also know I'm not good enough for Absolute Radiance... So I'll get stuck in limbo :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nightmare King Grimm was the only thing I didn't do, he broke me, probably the hardest boss I've come across in a game and I just couldn't bring myself to keep at it.

Ainu

Nightmare King Grimm was the only thing I didn't do, he broke me, probably the hardest boss I've come across in a game and I just couldn't bring myself to keep at it.
I think practicing NKG is fine if you do it in the hall of gods. No penalty on death, super quick to jump into it again. It was actually a fairly painless experience to train him that way. He's fast but there's only about 5 attacks you need to learn, plus the bullet hell thingy he does at set intervals, and your good for the entire fight.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think practicing NKG is fine if you do it in the hall of gods. No penalty on death, super quick to jump into it again. It was actually a fairly painless experience to train him that way. He's fast but there's only about 5 attacks you need to learn, plus the bullet hell thingy he does at set intervals, and your good for the entire fight.
oh feck I never knew this was a thing, damn!

Maybe I'll go back to it before Silksong comes out in 10 years.

Woodzy

The pantheons is the only thing I haven't done. I just hate boss rush modes... And I'm the type of person who HAS to finish what they start but also know I'm not good enough for Absolute Radiance... So I'll get stuck in limbo :lol:
I tried Godhome this morning and have to say they are really fun. Didn’t think I’d enjoy them, think they offer a nice bit of end game content that isn’t necessary for completion but still fun and a painful challenge if you are into that.

Woodzy

NKG done! It’s a fecking great boss fight let’s be honest. Incredibly fair I think it’s all down to patterns rather than random attacks.

Ainu

NKG done! It’s a fecking great boss fight let’s be honest. Incredibly fair I think it’s all down to patterns rather than random attacks.
Nice! If you enjoyed NKG I think you'll love the one at the end of the 4th pantheon as well.

Ainu

I don't think any boss is unfair in HK.
Not sure I agree there. Most bosses are completely fair, but there's definitely some bullshit at times. Absolute Radiance is the big one, but Grey Prince Zote in its pantheon of hallownest configuration can feck you over as well. Markoth in its ascended arena can spawn projectiles from just off screen that are virtually impossible to avoid. These three have a degree of luck associated with them.

I'm not including radiant bosses in this, as that's just asking for bullshit.

Moby

Dick
Not sure I agree there. Most bosses are completely fair, but there's definitely some bullshit at times. Absolute Radiance is the big one, but Grey Prince Zote in its pantheon of hallownest configuration can feck you over as well. Markoth in its ascended arena can spawn projectiles from just off screen that are virtually impossible to avoid. These three have a degree of luck associated with them.

I'm not including radiant bosses in this, as that's just asking for bullshit.
Yeah those three were closest to crossing the line. Not sure as I haven't played them. Think the ones main game including DLC and dream versions etc are fine.

)_(

I hadn't played for half a year then decided to get back into it and start a new casual playthrough and finally got that illusive 112%. Never managed to get further than 110% on my original file. Crazy to think that I was complaining in here about what a struggle the first soul warrior was :lol: take that as a lesson that if I can do it anyone can!

Woodzy

I hadn't played for half a year then decided to get back into it and start a new casual playthrough and finally got that illusive 112%. Never managed to get further than 110% on my original file. Crazy to think that I was complaining in here about what a struggle the first soul warrior was :lol: take that as a lesson that if I can do it anyone can!
It’s crazy how easy the bosses are after subsequent playthrough, and hard to grasp how they were ever found difficult. Mantis Lords are infamous for being a bit of a difficult one, but they are one of the boss fights I can do now without getting hit.

There’s some bosses I’m still awful at like Nosk and Traitor Lord for example. I still beat them first go nowadays but my play style means I get hit a lot.

I hope in Silksong we get more bosses like NKG though. I know it’s not for everyone but that difficulty spike is great.

Ainu

Same here, at one point I was complaining about how I couldn't beat Nosk in here. :lol:

)_(

It’s crazy how easy the bosses are after subsequent playthrough, and hard to grasp how they were ever found difficult. Mantis Lords are infamous for being a bit of a difficult one, but they are one of the boss fights I can do now without getting hit.

There’s some bosses I’m still awful at like Nosk and Traitor Lord for example. I still beat them first go nowadays but my play style means I get hit a lot.

I hope in Silksong we get more bosses like NKG though. I know it’s not for everyone but that difficulty spike is great.
It really is. I struggled with so many easy bosses that I now have zero issue with, something like watcher knights will never really be a struggle again. Though I do struggle with some harder bosses still in randomisers. Hornet 2 beat my ass a few times in the latest randomiser I'm doing when I beat her first try in my first playthrough though tbf at that point I was almost fully upgraded.

As long as they're optional. I'm not a huge fan of grinding boss fights or rushes myself but after having finally beat NKG a few weeks back I do understand why it's a favourite for a lot of people, definitely more enjoyable than Pure Vessel as an experience.

Same here, at one point I was complaining about how I couldn't beat Nosk in here. :lol:
That's definitely one of those struggle bosses on the first playthrough, less embarassing than struggling with soul warrior of all bosses :lol: . I completely cheesed Nosk by just standing in the corner next to the platform and shrieking, didnt even put two and two together myself had to look it up :lol:

Ainu

It really is. I struggled with so many easy bosses that I now have zero issue with, something like watcher knights will never really be a struggle again. Though I do struggle with some harder bosses still in randomisers. Hornet 2 beat my ass a few times in the latest randomiser I'm doing when I beat her first try in my first playthrough though tbf at that point I was almost fully upgraded.

As long as they're optional. I'm not a huge fan of grinding boss fights or rushes myself but after having finally beat NKG a few weeks back I do understand why it's a favourite for a lot of people, definitely more enjoyable than Pure Vessel as an experience.

That's definitely one of those struggle bosses on the first playthrough, less embarassing than struggling with soul warrior of all bosses :lol: . I completely cheesed Nosk by just standing in the corner next to the platform and shrieking, didnt even put two and two together myself had to look it up :lol:
I actually thought Watcher Knights were surprisingly hard when I went for a speed run. Without double jump or shade cloak, I struggled with them like never before.

Pure Vessel is fantastic! It's probably up there together with Sisters of Battle as my two favourite fights in the game. NKG is close though.

)_(

I actually thought Watcher Knights were surprisingly hard when I went for a speed run. Without double jump or shade cloak, I struggled with them like never before.

Pure Vessel is fantastic! It's probably up there together with Sisters of Battle as my two favourite fights in the game. NKG is close though.
yea, I wanted to say "except for speedruns". Minimal damage, 5 health and no i frames definitely makes it a lot harder, even just a base dive would be a lot of help. Wonder how I'd fare now.

Lore wise I think PV is great but I didn't enjoy the fight as much, it's somehow slow and very fast at the same time. I haven't gotten to sisters of battle yet but am definitely looking forward to it if I can ever be bothered to get going on p5. The worst thing about nkg and grimm is that whenever I switch between them I forget how to dodge the most basic moves.

I also finished pop, though I have to admit I did cheat a bit. The last time I tried I didn't even manage to get to the first check point but on this new save file I got o the final room within 40 mins. Then it was dinner time and my hands were getting fecked so had to turn it off and then I realised that even though I thought I'd disabled all mods the bench warp one was still on so I dropped a bench in that last room and came back to it in the days after.. that last room probably took 4 times as long as the rest of them. One day I'll actually do it in one go but I'm still happy that I managed to do it in the first place.

)_(

Honestly not too upset because I'm busy with a lot of stuff the coming months. Hopefully this means that we will get some advanced notice when it is coming out because I know a lot of people will want to take time off when it comes out. I'm just happy that they gave an update at this point because I was half expecting them to let the June deadline pass without any type of message.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Honestly not too upset because I'm busy with a lot of stuff the coming months. Hopefully this means that we will get some advanced notice when it is coming out because I know a lot of people will want to take time off when it comes out. I'm just happy that they gave an update at this point because I was half expecting them to let the June deadline pass without any type of message.
That's ok. Rather they take their time and get it right... There's still a chance it will get released by the time my 6 year old goes to uni so I'll have plenty free time.

Woodzy

I doubt it’ll be too far away, they must have known that if they didn’t say anything before that deadline then it would be bad PR so it doesn’t necessarily mean there’ll be a huge delay or anything.

On the flip side it could be fecking ages but I remain optimistic.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Saw the bump and thought "This better be about Silksong" and it was so you're forgiven.