Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just finished it, nearly fully done now, just need to beat Nightmare King Grimm who keeps ripping me a new one.

Amazing game, all in all. Loved it.
Yeah NKG was for me the toughest thing in the game (I did everything apart from pantheons).

How did you find trial of fools and path of pain?

Last edited:

)_(

Just finished it, nearly fully done now, just need to beat Nightmare King Grimm who keeps ripping me a new one.

Amazing game, all in all. Loved it.
Nice, good that you kept going despite your frustrations. Did you also do path of pain? That's one of the things I still haven't done. Also haven't done the final three pantheons nor defeated NKG or Pure Vessel.

I finally finished a rando again. Used the new transcendence mod as well as the skill upgrades though I have no clue how the latter actually work at least when it comes to the magic. The transcendence mod gives you 14 extra charms and some of them make bosses completely trivial, not great to practice getting better at the game but it is fairly amusing when you beat Radiance with like 5 nail swings.

Ooh nice, will give this a proper listen soon. Love the little knight plushy.

I can't wait for Silk Song but at the same time, with all the mods there's plenty of stuff to do and I want them to bring out a game they're happy with and that's as finished as it can get so I don't mind waiting too much. Though let's be real, I will drop everyone and everything the moment it comes out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nice, good that you kept going despite your frustrations. Did you also do path of pain? That's one of the things I still haven't done. Also haven't done the final three pantheons nor defeated NKG or Pure Vessel.

I finally finished a rando again. Used the new transcendence mod as well as the skill upgrades though I have no clue how the latter actually work at least when it comes to the magic. The transcendence mod gives you 14 extra charms and some of them make bosses completely trivial, not great to practice getting better at the game but it is fairly amusing when you beat Radiance with like 5 nail swings.

Ooh nice, will give this a proper listen soon. Love the little knight plushy.

I can't wait for Silk Song but at the same time, with all the mods there's plenty of stuff to do and I want them to bring out a game they're happy with and that's as finished as it can get so I don't mind waiting too much. Though let's be real, I will drop everyone and everything the moment it comes out.
Give it a go? It's not as hard as it looks. I finished it and I'm not that good at games so I'm sure you'll breeze through it.

)_(

Give it a go? It's not as hard as it looks. I finished it and I'm not that good at games so I'm sure you'll breeze through it.
I've started it a few times but it really messes with my hands and that's before I even make it to the first checkpoint. Might cheat it a bit and deploy some benches if I get around to it so I can rest my hands and actually finish it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've started it a few times but it really messes with my hands and that's before I even make it to the first checkpoint. Might cheat it a bit and deploy some benches if I get around to it so I can rest my hands and actually finish it.
You don't need to do the bench thing, there's plenty places to get soul.

The first check point is one of the longest segments so once you get past that, it's not that bad (until near the end).

)_(

It's not supposed to be easy though. I think everyone playing it dies quite a few times.
Oh I know and I always use hiveblood too so that shouldn't be a problem but by putting down benches I can turn it off and rest my hands without losing progress.

)_(

Still no release date so surely that means no 2022.
All the games shown are going to be released between now and a year so might still be 2022. When they dropped HK they released the trailer fairly close to the drop date so we'll have to see what's the case here.

I'm incredibly excited though it's going to take some getting used to Hornet's move set, it's a huge change from the knight that's for sure. Can't wait though, it looks amazing.

Ainu

Think that's just some orange goop unless I missed something. But don't worry I'm sure there'll be plently of other hated enemies by the time you're finished with the game :lol:
Pretty sure the difficulty in general will be a step up from the original base game, both in terms of combat and platforming. I'm already dreading the equivalent of Path of Pain and Pantheon of Hallownest. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not. Switch too. And they said it's coming to PS4 and PS5, but not at launch.
Ah okay my bad.

I was just watching Shillup's Xbox convention video and the trailer at the end didn't mention PS5. Then again its an Xbox convention. The other one that worried me was Kojima's project being possibly an Xbox exclusive. All the other shit - Arcanes next, Starfield etc I have little interest in but the aforementioned two, I definitely do!

)_(

Pretty sure the difficulty in general will be a step up from the original base game, both in terms of combat and platforming. I'm already dreading the equivalent of Path of Pain and Pantheon of Hallownest. :lol:
I saw a comment by someone who said that Team Cherry wanted to make this game more accessible because some people complained about the difficulty of HK. I haven't seen this said by TC themselves so I'm hoping it's bullshit because I think HK is perfectly balanced and I'm saying this as someone who struggled with Hornet 1 for 2 hours :lol: Or maybe they'll have difficulty settings?

edit: ok this wasn't meant to post yet not sure what happened, wanted to add this:

we got another 4 secs of footage :lol: don't think this guy's ever answered this question with "yes" or "kinda" as much as he's had this past week.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I saw a comment by someone who said that Team Cherry wanted to make this game more accessible because some people complained about the difficulty of HK. I haven't seen this said by TC themselves so I'm hoping it's bullshit because I think HK is perfectly balanced and I'm saying this as someone who struggled with Hornet 1 for 2 hours :lol: Or maybe they'll have difficulty settings?

edit: ok this wasn't meant to post yet not sure what happened, wanted to add this:

we got another 4 secs of footage :lol: don't think this guy's ever answered this question with "yes" or "kinda" as much as he's had this past week.
Hope that's not true. I suck at 3D fighting games like Bayonetta and DMC but on a 2D plane everything is basically there in your viewpoint and Hollow Knight has such a clean art style that all you need is patience and a bit of time. It's the reason I love the challenge of metroidvanias.

Moby

Dick
I've never felt absolute bliss while listening to something while experiencing gut wrenching PTSD by just looking at those screenshots. :lol:

What an absolute masterpiece though.

Moby

Dick
Also I'd like to welcome the newest knight who has started exploring the world of Hallownest: @harshad !

Let's do our best to guide him through the depths of this unforgettable journey (starting with tips on how to beat False Knight..)!

Ainu

Also I'd like to welcome the newest knight who has started exploring the world of Hallownest: @harshad !

Let's do our best to guide him through the depths of this unforgettable journey (starting with tips on how to beat False Knight..)!
All right, I'll start. Tip on how to beat False Knight: don't be terrible at video games.

)_(

White palace ost is actually surprisingly nice to listen to on this ridiculously hot day.

Welcome to Hallownest @harshad , I am sure you'll become a knight of great renown as you join the ranks.

More than a year and a half later I still enjoy playing this game regularly.

Ainu

Just read back the thread and see where all of us were as well. :lol:

Edit: Actually worth a read. @Ainu 's rants in this thread is the stuff of legends!
I started out as a terrible noob and struggled every step of the way. :lol: Looking back on it, I can't believe I got stuck on something like Nosk, but that first run was pretty hard.

)_(

Yeah, if you can forget everything you went through while going through that area, it's a really soothing soundtrack to listen. :lol:
I've run through it so many times now that I've almost forgotten the trauma of that first time and taking two separate 45 min sessions to get up that bit next to path of pain up to the balcony bench.

I have been complaining to Moby since yesterday as to how pathetic I am at this game :lol:
It took me more than 2 hours to defeat Hornet the first time. I came in here cause I couldn't even beat one of the easiest mini bosses. Now I've beaten one of the hardest bosses in the game. And I regularly do the hard (though not the hardest) platforming section now. The point of all this is to say... I too was absolute garbage at this game and now I'm half way decent. So keep at it! It's definitely worth it imo to persevere.

I started out as a terrible noob and struggled every step of the way. :lol: Looking back on it, I can't believe I got stuck on something like Nosk, but that first run was pretty hard.
I feel the same way when I play through it now. How the hell was soul warrior of all things so difficult for me :lol: not gonna lie though, there's still some bosses I struggle with without upgrades when I play randomizer.

Moby

Dick
I've run through it so many times now that I've almost forgotten the trauma of that first time and taking two separate 45 min sessions to get up that bit next to path of pain up to the balcony bench.
That was the worst fecking bit for me as well. The one with the wingsmoulds. Took me absolute hours.

That entire day (and night) that it took me to do the Palace, man, that took something away from my life that I'll never get back. Genuinely go into a frenzy just by looking at those rooms.