Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I find the repetition really annoying. Why can’t I fast travel between all rest points and not just stags? Takes fecking ages going between areas over and over.

)_(

I find the repetition really annoying. Why can’t I fast travel between all rest points and not just stags? Takes fecking ages going between areas over and over.
Nearly all location have conveniently located stags and there's the dreamgate, running around the areas and backtracking are part of the game imo.
However, if you're on PC you can install benchwarp which is usually used for rando. But you might miss out on some things if you use benchwarp.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Nearly all location have conveniently located stags and there's the dreamgate, running around the areas and backtracking are part of the game imo.
However, if you're on PC you can install benchwarp which is usually used for rando. But you might miss out on some things if you use benchwarp.
But still, some bench, stag, tram routes are pretty long by the end

Moby

Dick
Because one of the ideas of the devs is for you to return and re-explore each area multiple times everytime you get a new movement ability in order to completely explore each area. I found that part great as it also allowed you breaks to relax in between boss fights or enemy rooms. Compared to souls games where due to so much fast travel after a point you pretty much are doing combat endlessly. Given how brilliant the ambience and OST of this game are it made the walking across areas to travel super enjoyable.

Massive Spanner

I’ve only done 4 locations but the stags are definitely not convenient. When 80% of my time is taken up by going through areas I’ve already been that just gets annoying. That’s way above From Soft game levels too.

not sure what the dreamgate is so I’ll keep going.

Massive Spanner

Because one of the ideas of the devs is for you to return and re-explore each area multiple times everytime you get a new movement ability in order to completely explore each area. I found that part great as it also allowed you breaks to relax in between boss fights or enemy rooms. Compared to souls games where due to so much fast travel after a point you pretty much are doing combat endlessly. Given how brilliant the ambience and OST of this game are it made the walking across areas to travel super enjoyable.
Oh I get it. But it’s way over the top for me. Making fast travel between rest points would have still given that without it being so extreme. Fair enough if you loved it, I do not!

Moby

Dick
But still, some bench, stag, tram routes are pretty long by the end
Which bench you should rest at is usually a careful choice. There are a lot of trap benches you shouldn't rest on (like that one at the bottom corner outside mantis village, or the one outside the nailmaster tent in kingdom's edge.) because they are far too isolated. You can't just sit on any bench you see.

)_(

Which bench you should rest at is usually a careful choice. There are a lot of trap benches you shouldn't rest on (like that one at the bottom corner outside mantis village, or the one outside the nailmaster tent in kingdom's edge.) because they are far too isolated. You can't just sit on any bench you see.
I've always sat on any bench I see, don't want to be travelling back from legeater or queen's station if I die in mantis village. Obviously less relevant now that I've played the game so many times but as a beginner I definitely needed any bench I could get. But yes, for a more skilled player than me choosing benches more carefully could work.

Oh I get it. But it’s way over the top for me. Making fast travel between rest points would have still given that without it being so extreme. Fair enough if you loved it, I do not!
I feel like I should insert that honey you've got a big storm coming meme. It'll happen even more in late-mid game areas when you find locations you can't get to without special abilities. I guess everyone has a different tolerance for it but I didn't think it was that bad. I think it would take away a lot from the game if benchwarping was a standard feature. But ymmv.

Massive Spanner

I will fist fight anyone who tries to say the run backs to the bosses in this game aren't a fecking joke.

Ainu

Outside Wetherspoons.
Friday night.
11.30pm.

You vs me (and @Ainu & @Moby )
I'll bring my nail.

I have to say I left the absolute worst run backs for optional bosses until I had the dream gate. No fecking way I was ever going to do the run to Traitor Lord without it. Soul Master was pretty annoying at first but I'm pretty sure you can just run and jump past every enemy.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Started it again, got over the initial hump, fecking love it. I mean it's basically a Metroidvania From Software game, what's not to love?

Soundtrack is :drool:
Yeah, I did the same, totally different experience on my third try.

I like the soundtrack while I'm driving, keeps me chill!

Volumiza

Started it again, got over the initial hump, fecking love it. I mean it's basically a Metroidvania From Software game, what's not to love?

Soundtrack is :drool:
:lol: flip flop!

Massive Spanner

:lol: flip flop!
I'm not flip flopping at all. It's brilliant but the repetition and run backs to bosses is completely over the top.

I mean for feck sake, there's a bench right beside the Mantis Lords but you can't unlock it til after you beat them. Feck you!

Ainu

I guess technically God Tamer has a much worse run back than any of the "normal" bosses. Or if we're taking the piss, Absolute Radiance outside of the the Hall of Gods. :lol:

Volumiza

I'm not flip flopping at all. It's brilliant but the repetition and run backs to bosses is completely over the top.

I mean for feck sake, there's a bench right beside the Mantis Lords but you can't unlock it til after you beat them. Feck you!
I've twigged now that I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it. Some days I've got the patience for the repetition, others not so.

Moby

Dick
I will fist fight anyone who tries to say the run backs to the bosses in this game aren't a fecking joke.
I'm team @Massive Spanner here, some run backs are just bullshit

Hive knight the absolute worst without dreamgate
Use dreamgate if you lot are such softies. I never used it for any bosses because the harder run backs motivated me to be more focussed because I knew I'd be fecked walking back.

Hive wasn't great but you should be able to kill that easily. Traitor lord is the real cnut when it comes to this and yeah it took me a lot of run backs for that one. But that's what the whole game is about. You should enjoy walking endlessly through this world and complete 700 odd hours like me. :wenger:

Moby

Dick
Ah so you've found soul master :D
That run back feels bad but there is a shortcut in every single room right from where the bench is so once you open them you don't have to fight anything. There is a hidden shortcut on the right of the bench that opens from the other side in case people missed it.

)_(

Surely Hive Knight isn't worse than Traitor Lord. You at least have a shortcut to Hive Knight. It's not great but doable. The platforming to Traitor Lord though. :nervous:
I'd forgotten about these fights, they are definitely terrible to travel to if you have to do it more than once. Luckily I only got to those after I got dreamgate iirc. I still forgot to do it the first time I fought both of them though :lol: definitely a lesson learned.

Use dreamgate if you lot are such softies. I never used it for any bosses because the harder run backs motivated me to be more focussed because I knew I'd be fecked walking back.

Hive wasn't great but you should be able to kill that easily. Traitor lord is the real cnut when it comes to this and yeah it took me a lot of run backs for that one. But that's what the whole game is about. You should enjoy walking endlessly through this world and complete 700 odd hours like me. :wenger:
Damn 700 hours. You're definitely more brave and patient than me, not using the dreamgate. Hive knight took me a while, I'm not great with these sudden movement bosses. Of course that's all changed now I've learned to use ddark...at that point you can basically shred through any boss fairly easily though it's also been fun playing randomizer and having to fight some bosses with minimal equipment.

That run back feels bad but there is a shortcut in every single room right from where the bench is so once you open them you don't have to fight anything. There is a hidden shortcut on the right of the bench that opens from the other side in case people missed it.
Yep, once you've gotten through hell room the first time and opened that short cut it's fine. In my experience most first time players miss that shortcut with the elevator completely which is on them cause HK is the game where you really have to check every nook and cranny, the cracks on that wall are really obvious too.

Massive Spanner

Softies is a strong word. I prefer to think of it as having a life :p

Massive Spanner

Just finished it, nearly fully done now, just need to beat Nightmare King Grimm who keeps ripping me a new one.

Amazing game, all in all. Loved it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

You're a masochist