Gaming Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Apparently the DLC is getting review bombed by homophobes?

Another strong moment for the Internet gaming community.

caid

Stuck with it for a good while but think i'm done with it, probably pretty near the end. Just riddled with bad design decisions.
Putting in 10 different elements doesn't increase variety or options. It means the frost blast sling i have is useful against about 1 in 30 machines and so never gets used. I'd say in terms of attacks i used the standard ammo hunter bow 95% of the time and the other 100 options about once each.
I could reel of a thousand annoyances and complaints but i think @Massive Spanner saying they've overcomplicated it covers it pretty well.

caid

You said it's terrible? Explain to me how it is terrible but any stretch of the imagination. It's a stupid statement from you. It's not perfect, and has downfalls, but it isn't terrible.

Redfall is terrible.
I think its a terrible sequel because they've taken every existing mechanic from the first game and made it worse basically.
I think as an open world game to explore its bad because too much is locked behind story progress and levels. I think the story is poorly written, the characters forgettable or annoying. I think platforming is picky and finicky. I think the activites are uninspired and / or poorly designed. I think crafting and getting equipment is unreasonably difficult to track down.
But mostly its a sequel that made every mechanic from the original worse so a terrible sequel.
Ainu and Massive Spanner have a few posts on pg 18. They cover most of the criticisms i'd have.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think its a terrible sequel because they've taken every existing mechanic from the first game and made it worse basically.
I think as an open world game to explore its bad because too much is locked behind story progress and levels. I think the story is poorly written, the characters forgettable or annoying. I think platforming is picky and finicky. I think the activites are uninspired and / or poorly designed. I think crafting and getting equipment is unreasonably difficult to track down.
But mostly its a sequel that made every mechanic from the original worse so a terrible sequel.
I'm not getting this open world being locked thing at all, it's locked behind a couple of mechanics you learn. Other games just lock out areas and content from overpowered enemies.

Or are you talking about that red stuff? I understand that, locking collectibles out early is stupid.

Story I'll give was worse than the first, but wasn't awful especially when comparing with other games.

Characters were exactly the same as the first, mostly forgettable. Nothing changed here. Infact, I'd say they probably improved just thinking about it now. That one armed dude was cool. Didn't like the preachy soft woman whatever she was called.

Crafting / gaining equipment was as hard as you wanted it to be tbh. Did you want all the best gear just made easily obtainable? Everyone just wants everything from the start, people are too used to buying DLC and having everything unlocked from the start. There has to be some sort of progression in games.

I even got bored of the weapon choices, and all the elements, but if people could be arsed with them, they made the battles much easier. It's very poorly explained in the game how it all works, which makes it frustrating.

I'm not going to tell you to like the game, but to call it a terrible game is ridiculous hyperbole. You've gotta stop that shit because it's getting old. You're in "match day thread mode" all the time.

caid

I'm not getting this open world being locked thing at all, it's locked behind a couple of mechanics you learn. Other games just lock out areas and content from overpowered enemies.

Or are you talking about that red stuff? I understand that, locking collectibles out early is stupid.

Story I'll give was worse than the first, but wasn't awful especially when comparing with other games.

Characters were exactly the same as the first, mostly forgettable. Nothing changed here. Infact, I'd say they probably improved just thinking about it now. That one armed dude was cool. Didn't like the preachy soft woman whatever she was called.

Crafting / gaining equipment was as hard as you wanted it to be tbh. Did you want all the best gear just made easily obtainable? Everyone just wants everything from the start, people are too used to buying DLC and having everything unlocked from the start. There has to be some sort of progression in games.

I even got bored of the weapon choices, and all the elements, but if people could be arsed with them, they made the battles much easier. It's very poorly explained in the game how it all works, which makes it frustrating.

I'm not going to tell you to like the game, but to call it a terrible game is ridiculous hyperbole. You've gotta stop that shit because it's getting old. You're in "match day thread mode" all the time.
The areas i had access to in the teens and low 20's were very limited before i reached machines 10+ levels higher than me - so they weren't really accessible or explorable. I could have hung around the starting area but fighting the games equivalent of a rat enemy any longer didn't appeal. Adding in these metroidvania like unlocks just felt misplaced and a bad mix in amongst an open world design. I felt like i was being herded through and towards story missions constantly and that i wasn't really given much freedom till i'd gotten the first 3 doohickeys which was 20 odd hours into the game - too much investment for me.
Characters were an improvement over the first but i completely ignored and was oblivious to the characters in the first game, which i prefered. Story was fine by video game standards but video game standard storytelling is mostly terrible with the odd exception. Thats not hyperbole imo. Unless were talking disco elysium or something writing in games is bad.
My problem with crafting and gaining equipment was more related to finding the recipes and vendors who sold them. I stumbled into thornmarsh about 30 hours in. Upgrading 3 / 4 tiers of equipment in a single player game and the awkwardness of upgrading a starter bow just turned it into something i didn't really want to interact with or bother with beyond necessary.
I understood how the weapons and elements work, i just didn't have access to most elements for the majority of my playtime. Or i had them but trying to hit a frost canister on a machines belly with a slingshot is just really, really hard. So I just stuck with the bow with standard ammo most of the time because it worked and i didn't have much alternative. I think one of the things i liked most about the first game was the selection of weapons so big disappointment there for me.
I thought gliding was an easy improvement but i dont know why they didn't put it on the same button as jump like every other game does. Having to hold down the same button for glide as let go of platform just looks like a dumb idea that should have been picked up on.
My experience playing it was one of being bored and frustrated. It was a terrible experience. Sorry if thats too extreme for you
Redfall doesn't even figure in my how good is this game scale for me. It starts at 6/10 experiences that I play for longer than the first hour. Its probably a high bar, nah, its definitely a high bar. Theres too much good stuff out there to waste time on 6 / 7 out of 10 experiences. I'll call them shit and tell people to skip them.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Still quite early-ish in it but I feel like there is too many weapons already.

The skill trees and abilities are good though. The spear in the first game was a bit of an afterthought but it's well used this time. The jump off skill is great fun.

caid

The metal flowers are annoying but dont seem to have anything meaningful behind them. It just seemed to be chests with a few potions and crafting material for most of them. They dont actually block access to the stuff near them and theres usually another way to them. Knowing that going in and not rushing to unlock it might help.
As far as story stuff you need to unlock to just enjoy the game. Going for the south doohickey in las vegas first is worth it to unlock swimming. It happens early in the quest and you can come back to finish later. A cauldron in the far northern middle part of map has a tallneck you can override. And bottom left of western side of map by shore has a town that sells decent selection of gear.
Doing the recommended first doohickey early is worth it too as it unlocks an arena and a couple other things (none of which are great to be honest).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Still quite early-ish in it but I feel like there is too many weapons already.

The skill trees and abilities are good though. The spear in the first game was a bit of an afterthought but it's well used this time. The jump off skill is great fun.
I'll try finding the video on the weapons on YouTube when I get time, it explains them well and helps know where you should go in terms of weapons.

Basically you can kill most stuff just using the basic 2 bows anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The metal flowers are annoying but dont seem to have anything meaningful behind them. It just seemed to be chests with a few potions and crafting material for most of them. They dont actually block access to the stuff near them and theres usually another way to them. Knowing that going in and not rushing to unlock it might help.
As far as story stuff you need to unlock to just enjoy the game. Going for the south doohickey in las vegas first is worth it to unlock swimming. It happens early in the quest and you can come back to finish later. A cauldron in the far northern middle part of map has a tallneck you can override. And bottom left of western side of map by shore has a town that sells decent selection of gear.
Doing the recommended first doohickey early is worth it too as it unlocks an arena and a couple other things (none of which are great to be honest).
There is a meaning behind the metal flowers story wise. The idea was to counter biomass conversion from Faro machines with them but the lead scientist of the project had to be pulled from it