Gaming Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The engine has a lot of problems with varying set ups and some of those graphic settings (like the AF which you are better off forcing through you card settings) are borked. It should look even better if they manage to fix it, or as I say if you force it. We are lucky to be getting a smooth game (though I've gone for 144hz over full 4k, and it's a dream playing in that) as others are struggling.

I had initial problems running the game from the off, largely due to not running a page file as I have plenty of memory, which interfered with that baffling "optimizing for optimal performance" nonsense they start the game with.

It should look better when they fix the issues (I should say IF they can), though they could have done more with the textures. Still, it looks great for it's age, if a little disappointing it doesn't do more. I'm just so much happier with a proper framerate, that alone makes it a much better game experience, and the aiming is just so much more fun.
Yeah it must be amazing to run it at high FPS. I thought on 30 it was very decent. They made Aloy move really fluidly which made up for that. I’ll not be getting it for PC though, I’m thinking 60Fps can be easily achieved on PS5 considering what they had to work with on PS4.

SirAnderson

What rig are you using and what frames are you getting?

Its hard to get it to look much better as it looked insane of PS4 pro. Guerrilla really did wonderful checkerboard implementation. Also a lot of people won’t be playing this with HDR on pc which takes away a lot imo.
Ryzen 2700X.
Memory: 16 GB RAM.
Graphics: RTX 2060 (6 GB)
Did have some stuttering initially but like I said, only got through the first part, and still in that cave in the start, just wanted to get a feel for it. Will update on the fps tomorrow.

Paxi

Ryzen 2700X.
Did have some stuttering initially but like I said, only got through the first part, and still in that cave in the start, just wanted to get a feel for it. Will update on the fps tomorrow.
Fair enough. I’m away to see a digital foundry video on this. See what they say.

SirAnderson

The engine has a lot of problems with varying set ups and some of those graphic settings (like the AF which you are better off forcing through you card settings) are borked. It should look even better if they manage to fix it, or as I say if you force it. We are lucky to be getting a smooth game (though I've gone for 144hz over full 4k, and it's a dream playing in that) as others are struggling.

I had initial problems running the game from the off, largely due to not running a page file as I have plenty of memory, which interfered with that baffling "optimizing for optimal performance" nonsense they start the game with.

It should look better when they fix the issues (I should say IF they can), though they could have done more with the textures. Still, it looks great for it's age, if a little disappointing it doesn't do more. I'm just so much happier with a proper framerate, that alone makes it a much better game experience, and the aiming is just so much more fun.
Will give that a try. I've just looked at some reviews too, and it seems better to go 1440 if you want super smooth, until they get it sorted hopefully.
And yeah that optimizing is just shite in the beginning, I've never seen a game do that, and then actually do nothing? :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ryzen 2700X.
You really will need to tone down some settings as the current state of the game is having issues with all sorts of stuff (like lip synch/foliage movement stuck on 30fps). Like I say though, some of them are borked.

Stick AF on low (push it through your card settings) and AA on camera only for a start. Leave textures/models on ultra, and play with the rest (shadows for example doesn't seem to do much other than Aloy's self-shadowing and even then, not a huge difference). Bare in mind that medium on everything is PS4 pro level (which isn't strictly true either, they were clever with some of their techniques) so even that pushing a real 4K resolution will be an improvement.

Will give that a try. I've just looked at some reviews too, and it seems better to go 1440 if you want super smooth, until they get it sorted hopefully.
And yeah that optimizing is just shite in the beginning, I've never seen a game do that, and then actually do nothing? :lol:
It's not the worst idea, it's compiling shaders for your specific card/machine among other things. Problem is, I've yet to come across a "recommended specs" run that is anywhere close to accurate. So they force this on you, and it turns out to be nonsense anyway!

Funny thing is, it's an older version of the engine Death Stranding runs on, and that PC port is pretty decent by all accounts. It seems this is very much a beta release forced through, I'm even seeing mentions of debug code being left in (and apparently the preview copies needed a 30gb patch) so I'm wondering if they've put the wrong one out anyway! :lol:

Paxi

The stuttering that’s mentioned in this video would make it unplayable for me if it’s not patched out.

Last edited:

Redlambs

The stuttering that’s mentioned in this video would make it unplayable for me if it’s not patched out.
That's pretty much confirming my initial impressions of the game. Interesting he (noob!) didn't have his gfx card running 16x, but it is very weird how this one game has problems. My guess would be the port is way too straight from the PS4 version, and some of the techniques (like the checkerboard) are left in and causing weird issues (such as the scaling problems). My forte was never graphics engines though, so I'll be interested in the cause for that particular oddity.

As for the stutters, I'm not getting them like he is, only really at the start of cutscenes but that you can live with. Again, I think my card and machine is probably a little more set up going from what he said, but what I have done is give my card more power to draw from. Modern DX12 games seem to be very particular about power draws, even if the card isn't running at 100% which is very odd.

All in all it's not a great port at all, in fact one of the most amateurish for a while. However, since the game looks as good as it does and I'm managing to push above 60 quite easily, there's hope for it. At very least, I'm getting a way better experience than I did on the Pro, so I guess I'm happy enough knowing they are looking at fixes...that being said, I don't have total confidence in them as the issues seem to be deeper than a few settings they've screwed.

Redlambs

Oh, and as always, feck motion blur.

If that's not the first thing everyone turns off when they can (apart from completely on TLOU2 where it's hiding a lot of issues!), then I suggest visits to specsavers.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I never had so much enjoyment from a photo mode as I did with Horizon. It is such an eye-meltingly gorgeous game.

I remember being stunned by this. That's actually an accurate reflection of the environment in her eyes.

Paxi

That's pretty much confirming my initial impressions of the game. Interesting he (noob!) didn't have his gfx card running 16x, but it is very weird how this one game has problems. My guess would be the port is way too straight from the PS4 version, and some of the techniques (like the checkerboard) are left in and causing weird issues (such as the scaling problems). My forte was never graphics engines though, so I'll be interested in the cause for that particular oddity.

As for the stutters, I'm not getting them like he is, only really at the start of cutscenes but that you can live with. Again, I think my card and machine is probably a little more set up going from what he said, but what I have done is give my card more power to draw from. Modern DX12 games seem to be very particular about power draws, even if the card isn't running at 100% which is very odd.

All in all it's not a great port at all, in fact one of the most amateurish for a while. However, since the game looks as good as it does and I'm managing to push above 60 quite easily, there's hope for it. At very least, I'm getting a way better experience than I did on the Pro, so I guess I'm happy enough knowing they are looking at fixes...that being said, I don't have total confidence in them as the issues seem to be deeper than a few settings they've screwed.
I can’t stand any stuttering whatsoever to be honest. Characters moving at 30fps a sec while everything else is on higher FPS would give me a straight up seizure I think.
I’m so picky with games and thus I left titles like GoW, Last of Us part 2 until they get a PS5 patch. I just can’t enjoy them in 30fps and that horrible film grain naughty dog used. Currently watching Death Stranding tech review and I heard it was a much better port. To be honest I’ll not be playing any of the ps exclusives on pc as PS4 is around the corner and I’m sure they’re all going to be enhanced for the next gen.

Redlambs

I can’t stand any stuttering whatsoever to be honest. Characters moving at 30fps a sec while everything else is on higher FPS would give me a straight up seizure I think.
I’m so picky with games and thus I left titles like GoW, Last of Us part 2 until they get a PS5 patch. I just can’t enjoy them in 30fps and that horrible film grain naughty dog used. Currently watching Death Stranding tech review and I heard it was a much better port. To be honest I’ll not be playing any of the ps exclusives on pc as PS4 is around the corner and I’m sure they’re all going to be enhanced for the next gen.
Again, those are occasional cutscene issues. If the actual game played like that, I wouldn't touch it either :lol:

I'm not bothered about stuff like GoW/TLOU2/DS on PC to be honest, GoW was great enough on the PS4 and the other two I'd use a controller for anyway. Horizon at around 100fps on a 144hz monitor with mouse aim is what I was waiting for, so even with the teething issues it's working fine for me so far and the game is far better than it ever was for it.

As for the PS5 boost, well it's not that simple. A lot of the issues with some of these great looking PS4 games is how they've achieved those looks with techniques largely tied around framerates, issues which cause what we are seeing with Horizon if they aren't sorted, the PS5 versions will fall foul of the exact same issues unless they are actually worked on. In that sense, the PC release is a good guinea pig test.

Paxi

Again, those are occasional cutscene issues. If the actual game played like that, I wouldn't touch it either :lol:

I'm not bothered about stuff like GoW/TLOU2/DS on PC to be honest, GoW was great enough on the PS4 and the other two I'd use a controller for anyway. Horizon at around 100fps on a 144hz monitor with mouse aim is what I was waiting for, so even with the teething issues it's working fine for me so far and the game is far better than it ever was for it.

As for the PS5 boost, well it's not that simple. A lot of the issues with some of these great looking PS4 games is how they've achieved those looks with techniques largely tied around framerates, issues which cause what we are seeing with Horizon if they aren't sorted, the PS5 versions will fall foul of the exact same issues unless they are actually worked on. In that sense, the PC release is a good guinea pig test.
Yes that’s what I was thinking of. Death Stranding by all accounts was a decent port and running well on recent most cards at 4K 60.

Also couldn’t devs essentially double the frame rate but use the same techniques to double the frame rate. Just that I find 30 FPS so jarring now. You really cant go back in most cases imo. For last of us ND could get rid of that film grain which hid some aliasing and give the image a more sharpened look. Anyway, I’m hoping HZD isn’t an indication of the potential snags that devs will face for ps4.

evil_geko

I don't know, I am having 50-60 fps on a very mediocre GTX 1060 GPU on High settings. 10+ hours in, very pretty game but like most PS exclusives, pretty overrated. I shall see by the end but with all the praise I expected much better.

Bojan11

I don't know, I am having 50-60 fps on a very mediocre GTX 1060 GPU on High settings. 10+ hours in, very pretty game but like most PS exclusives, pretty overrated. I shall see by the end but with all the praise I expected much better.
You hear that @esmufc07.

Bojan11

Can’t wait to ditch Playstation though and get a console that uses rounded fonts.
Don’t go all defensive now. The geko has spoken. His opinion is definitive around here and I know how much you value it.

And no, I had the PS4 version, but didn’t get round to it and now bought the PC version so waiting on them to fix that. I told you that when I named my top 10 list because you know I play more than 4 games unlike some people who stuck on their daily Fifa, cod, apex and AC crap. They just play 4 games a year and then go around Man United forums talking crap about Xbox, when all those four games they only play run better on Xbox.

Redlambs

I wouldn't expect certain people to enjoy it, what with all the perceived feminist agenda pushing.

Don’t go all defensive now. The geko has spoken. His opinion is definitive around here and I know how much you value it.

And no, I had the PS4 version, but didn’t get round to it and now bought the PC version so waiting on them to fix that. I told you that when I named my top 10 list because you know I play more than 4 games unlike some people who stuck on their daily Fifa, cod, apex and AC crap. They just play 4 games a year and then go around Man United forums talking crap about Xbox, when all those four games they only play run better on Xbox.
You've already bought it but won't try it? What's your rig, as on mine I'm experiencing no major running issues now I'm into the game. Might be worth giving it a try, though if you aren't in a rush I guess waiting for a patch that may or may not (and I'm not optimistic going by the nature of some of the issues) fix everything is fair enough.

Bojan11

I wouldn't expect certain people to enjoy it, what with all the perceived feminist agenda pushing.

You've already bought it but won't try it? What's your rig, as on mine I'm experiencing no major running issues now I'm into the game. Might be worth giving it a try, though if you aren't in a rush I guess waiting for a patch that may or may not (and I'm not optimistic going by the nature of some of the issues) fix everything is fair enough.
Preordered and then I saw the digital foundry video, so thought I’d just wait till they patch it.

I just started Alan Wake again as I didn’t finish it on the 360. So playing that on PC. I got a huge backlog, so can wait even though I assumed this will be a solid port like Death Stranding.

Rig is 2080 Ti and i9-9900k.

Redlambs

Preordered and then I saw the digital foundry video, so thought I’d just wait till they patch it.

I just started Alan Wake again as I didn’t finish it on the 360. So playing that on PC. I got a huge backlog, so can wait even though I assumed this will be a solid port like Death Stranding.

Rig is 2080 Ti and i9-9900k.
You'll have no worries running it, but it does depend on certain things being set up right (like the gfx card running at 16x...still amuses me he got that one wrong!). I'm not getting micro stutters to any worrying degree and it's performing well above the pro's level on a much weaker rig for me.

Alan Wake would make my list for a top game of all time (maybe top 50's or higher) in terms of experience/story and the gameplay is pretty decent too. Definitely would go down as a game that should have done much better on the 360, it went under the radar (much like The Darkness), though the spiritual successor Control never really comes close to matching up imo.

SirAnderson

Very disappointed in the quality of the graphics, looks nothing like what I expected it too. Anyway, the game itself so far is enjoyable, liking the storyline.
Just irritates me looking at the foliage and the water etc. so poor.

evil_geko

Very disappointed in the quality of the graphics, looks nothing like what I expected it too. Anyway, the game itself so far is enjoyable, liking the storyline.
Just irritates me looking at the foliage and the water etc. so poor.
Graphics are mediocre and kinda beautiful at the same time, but yeah, nothing special. Very poor port though, even though it works kinda ok, The Witcher 3 runs three times better while having much better graphics, and being 2 years older than this game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I thought the graphics were amazing but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention to foliage. Was playing on my PS4 Pro though so don't know if that makes a significant difference from the standard PS4.

Bojan11

I thought the graphics were amazing but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention to foliage. Was playing on my PS4 Pro though so don't know if that makes a significant difference from the standard PS4.
They talking about the PC version, which seems to be a nothing special port.

evil_geko

Port is disappointing because of performance issues, not because it looks graphically worse compared to console version, far from it.

Redlambs

Port is disappointing because of performance issues, not because it looks graphically worse compared to console version, far from it.
This.

The foliage issues are because of the framerate used for movement, but considering on the the PS4 version they don't move at all (other than tall grass) it's still a step up.

In fact even though it's a shit port, it's still way above the PS4 in all areas. It's that the original is so tied in to fps tricks to get those graphics that's caused the issues here (and will do on the PS5 too without real work on it). Also, it's disappointing they've used the same textures as the original, they've not really enhanced anything as much as they could have.

However, the PC version is still leagues above the PS4 one in all aspects. It just would have been nice for them to have not used the interns for it.

SirAnderson

Finally finished this today on PC, was really enjoyable, gave me Mass Effect vibes for the storyline in a way, almost like a female version of Shephard (I played the male version of Shep only). Sad about the port but made it work best I could. Lovely.
Now I need to find another game with a moving storyline! On to the next!

Spoiler:
Would have been cool to see the game from the perspective of the first "almost" extension, maybe play as Elisabet putting all the things in place to save the world, then cue the end centuries later with a incubator with a little baby in the closing scenes like they did with Sylens which is setting up for an interesting sequel.

evil_geko

HORIZON ZERO DAWN’S PC LAUNCH SALES ‘WERE NEARLY AS LARGE AS THE WITCHER 3’S’

The PC version of Horizon Zero Dawn sold 716,000 copies digitally during its release month, representing a strong start for PlayStation’s platform debut.

That’s according to Nielsen’s SuperData, which said in its latest digital global market report that the game had a PC launch “nearly as large” as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC was released on August 7, 2020, while The Witcher 3 released on May 19, 2015.

The research firm said the game’s launch month sales were up 50% compared to the PC edition of Death Stranding, which sold 477,000 having released on July 14.

It also labelled Horizon Zero Dawn’s PC launch month sales “significantly” larger than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s following that game’s October 5, 2018 release.

After Horizon’s release on Steam and the Epic Games Store last month, Sony said it would explore bringing more PlayStation exclusives to PC “in order to promote further growth in our profitability”.

Mark Healey, a co-founder of Sony owned studio Media Molecule, told VGC in February that a PC version of Dreams wasn’t currently in development, but that it would be “great” to release one in the future.

The following month, Sony’s head of worldwide studios Herman Hulst suggested that PC ports of PlayStation exclusives would remain an exception.

Sony has said it will explore more PC ports.
“And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC,” he said.

“In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.”

Developer Guerrilla Games announced Horizon 2: Forbidden West for PS5 in June ahead of a planned 2021 release date. And this month Sony confirmed it will also release the game for PS4.

Prior to the sequel’s announcement, VGC revealed that PlayStation and Guerrilla are planning a Horizon Zero Dawn trilogy.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-were-nearly-as-large-as-the-witcher-3s/amp/

So about that piracy excuse from the devs who don't want to port to PC...

This game was cracked day one and still had these sales, there is no Piracy excuse, if the game is good, it will sell, easy as that. And this is with this port being kinda shitty too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just completed this recently, just doing the cleanup for the platinum. Unsure whether to bother with the DLC tbh.

I wasn't amazed by it tbh, solid enough, and the while robot dinosaurs is cool but it has plenty of problems too imo.

The feckin weather, perfect weather until you encounter a stormbird or something then suddenly it turns to snowstorm and you can't see shit. Seemed to be a very repeatable theme. The "dynamic" weather is kinda terrible tbh, changes in an instant.

Climbing was awful too.

Story was a bit meh, very preachy and religious type at the start which out me off. Suppose it ended ok with his stuff was explained, but don't really understand how Sylas captures Hades like he does, seems a bit of a stupid thing to add in / do.

Found the faces to be quite terribly done, everyone looked like a plastic doll with perfect rubber skin.

Voice acting and dialogue was cringey too.

Definitely over rated by people imo.

However it did have some good points, combat was fun, even though some of their moves did take the piss a bit. Enjoyed the tallnecks even though they're basically just moving viewpoints :lol:

The health / medicine pouch, that is fecking brilliant, only use what you need. This should be standard in all games!

Weapon variety was cool too, having multiple ways to take down targets was good. It's pretty smart how they never made an enemy harder just because you were further into the game, they're as hard at the end as they are at the start, just bigger machines as you go in, and in more challenging environments with more of their buddies to make it a bit more challenging.

Enjoyed the different areas, seemed to flow well between and have a good variety, probably preferred the jungle type bits the most.

Had some good big battles imo, your first thubderjaw, redmaw, the behemoth in one of the final battles too. The robot enemies were definitely a highlight due to the nature of them and using their weaknesses against them.

I'm torn with the cauldrons though, they are kinda cool but something just seems a bit off with them, like the layout is just confusing on some of them which doesn't make much sense. Still got the last one to do which I guess is gonna have a bunch of bastard machines, and a thubderjaw or stormbird as the final boss in it. Please be a thubderjaw, stormbirds are right bastards.

I'll probably pick up the next one as I can see them fixing some of the issues I had with this one, and like I said, it's a solid game tbh, just because ratings and the way people speak of it, I probably thought it would be a bit more special. It doesn't come close to Witcher 3 / rdr2 as I don't feel I would replay this.

caid

I picked it up recently. Not going in with huge expectations. It seems a fun game when it gets going and people remembering enemy names is usually a good sign but people dont seem to have too many good things to say about the rest of the game. Im aware it left a lot of people cold (probably not helped by being released at the same time as Breath of the Wild?)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Just completed this recently, just doing the cleanup for the platinum. Unsure whether to bother with the DLC tbh.

I wasn't amazed by it tbh, solid enough, and the while robot dinosaurs is cool but it has plenty of problems too imo.

The feckin weather, perfect weather until you encounter a stormbird or something then suddenly it turns to snowstorm and you can't see shit. Seemed to be a very repeatable theme. The "dynamic" weather is kinda terrible tbh, changes in an instant.

Climbing was awful too.

Story was a bit meh, very preachy and religious type at the start which out me off. Suppose it ended ok with his stuff was explained, but don't really understand how Sylas captures Hades like he does, seems a bit of a stupid thing to add in / do.

Found the faces to be quite terribly done, everyone looked like a plastic doll with perfect rubber skin.

Voice acting and dialogue was cringey too.

Definitely over rated by people imo.

However it did have some good points, combat was fun, even though some of their moves did take the piss a bit. Enjoyed the tallnecks even though they're basically just moving viewpoints :lol:

The health / medicine pouch, that is fecking brilliant, only use what you need. This should be standard in all games!

Weapon variety was cool too, having multiple ways to take down targets was good. It's pretty smart how they never made an enemy harder just because you were further into the game, they're as hard at the end as they are at the start, just bigger machines as you go in, and in more challenging environments with more of their buddies to make it a bit more challenging.

Enjoyed the different areas, seemed to flow well between and have a good variety, probably preferred the jungle type bits the most.

Had some good big battles imo, your first thubderjaw, redmaw, the behemoth in one of the final battles too. The robot enemies were definitely a highlight due to the nature of them and using their weaknesses against them.

I'm torn with the cauldrons though, they are kinda cool but something just seems a bit off with them, like the layout is just confusing on some of them which doesn't make much sense. Still got the last one to do which I guess is gonna have a bunch of bastard machines, and a thubderjaw or stormbird as the final boss in it. Please be a thubderjaw, stormbirds are right bastards.

I'll probably pick up the next one as I can see them fixing some of the issues I had with this one, and like I said, it's a solid game tbh, just because ratings and the way people speak of it, I probably thought it would be a bit more special. It doesn't come close to Witcher 3 / rdr2 as I don't feel I would replay this.
Good review and I’d agree. It’s a good game, not a classic.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Doing the DLC now and is the white crosshair a design point? feckin aiming in snow is impossible. Absolute joke.

Also DLC seems ridiculously hard. Upgraded bow and that seems to do nothing either.

However for some reason I've got it in my head this would be an awesome coop game (obv single player if wanted).

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Doing the DLC now and is the white crosshair a design point? feckin aiming in snow is impossible. Absolute joke.

Also DLC seems ridiculously hard. Upgraded bow and that seems to do nothing either.

However for some reason I've got it in my head this would be an awesome coop game (obv single player if wanted).
Its not ridiculously hard, but yeah the machines are tougher, especially the newer ones that are there.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Its not ridiculously hard, but yeah the machines are tougher, especially the newer ones that are there.
Maybe I'm just saying hard because machines seems to just take way more arrows, and it dumps you into a battle after cutscenes so you can't even plan an attack, so trip wires and stuff have became pretty pointless for the big battles.