Gaming Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Castia

Sony seem to be shifting to Microsoft’s model where they release some exclusives on PC. Death Standing and now Horizon coming in the next few months.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Sony seem to be shifting to Microsoft’s model where they release some exclusives on PC. Death Standing and now Horizon coming in the next few months.
I wouldn't get used to it. They're likely doing it purely to get PC gamers invested in these franchises in time for next-gen, it's the perfect time to do it, end of the PS4 lifecycle and close to the PS5. No doubt in a few months H:ZD2 will be announced for PS5 only.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If this trend continues and there is still a big leap between next gen and pc I might get myself a gaming pc in the living room and just use a controller on it

caid

I wouldn't get used to it. They're likely doing it purely to get PC gamers invested in these franchises in time for next-gen, it's the perfect time to do it, end of the PS4 lifecycle and close to the PS5. No doubt in a few months H:ZD2 will be announced for PS5 only.
Its a good start and i'll take it. Gimme God of War, Last of Us 2 and Last Guardian please

justboy68

Console fanboys are the weirdest of the weird. I'm happy to see this coming to PC. Never got around to it on the PS4.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Feckin hell those fanboys are pathetic. I really do hope they boycott the next game and rule themselves out of experiencing what should be a great game....But everyone knows they're gonna buy it anyway.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Feckin hell those fanboys are pathetic. I really do hope they boycott the next game and rule themselves out of experiencing what should be a great game....But everyone knows they're gonna buy it anyway.
It's also an incredibly dumb argument. By summer it'll be over three years since H:ZD came out. Who in their right mind would go "y'know what, this game looks great, and I have the console, but I'll wait another 3 or 4 years til the end of this console's lifecycle and get it on PC instead!". Nutjobs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sure most of the posts are satire.
Nah, games like that are major fuel for their fire against the X Box boys.

The minute they lose a game like that to the other side, it's war. If God of War went to PC :eek:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
People are weird. Although it's not strictly limited to console fanboys. There's no group worse than the PC master race types; fecking unbearable.

As for Horizon coming to PC, it's a great move by Sony. They can only win in this scenario. Get more people playing their game, make some extra money, and hopefully pull a few more people over to their platform to play the sequel which will inevitably come out. It's a no brainer move from them. Although i don't think they're going to make a habit out of this. I can't see all their exclusives coming to PC. That's just not going to happen imo.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
People are weird. Although it's not strictly limited to console fanboys. There's no group worse than the PC master race types; fecking unbearable.

As for Horizon coming to PC, it's a great move by Sony. They can only win in this scenario. Get more people playing their game, make some extra money, and hopefully pull a few more people over to their platform to play the sequel which will inevitably come out. It's a no brainer move from them. Although i don't think they're going to make a habit out of this. I can't see all their exclusives coming to PC. That's just not going to happen imo.
You've clearly never seen the xbox Sea of Thieves groups :lol: Console fanboys are delusional, with the Xbox ones at the very top of the idiot pile. PC masterrace types are just smug arseholes rather than whiney brat kids.

Also, Sony will port more exclusives. People seem to forget this gen was the first time they realistically could, next gen it will happen more.

caid

You've clearly never seen the xbox Sea of Thieves groups :lol: Console fanboys are delusional, with the Xbox ones at the very top of the idiot pile. PC masterrace types are just smug arseholes rather than whiney brat kids.

Also, Sony will port more exclusives. People seem to forget this gen was the first time they realistically could, next gen it will happen more.
I think it was a relatively even generation and maybe that drove the cross platform and console ports. Hopefully next generation continues it but I imagine if any of the consoles pick up a notable majority of the market they wont be that keen to share.

Redlambs

I think it was a relatively even generation and maybe that drove the cross platform and console ports. Hopefully next generation continues it but I imagine if any of the consoles pick up a notable majority of the market they wont be that keen to share.
I don't know why this is said every single generation, but I'll point out once again...

The consoles aren't fighting the PC market. The lack of ports from the Sony side is traditionally down to incompatible hardware and PC sales being less, we are seeing the shift change now because the PS4/5 are basically PCs and Sony will catch up now they are seeing the revenue there. MS always had it easy in that regard, but Sony have to be more profit driven and now they can port cheaply and the PC sales are there, it makes complete sense for them to ramp it up.

Which is what makes the Sony fanboys even more daft with their "exclusive" nonsense.

diarm

PC gamers in for a treat. I can't imagine how good this will look on some of the top end computers!

afrocentricity

PC gamers in for a treat. I can't imagine how good this will look on some of the top end computers!
I don't know how much better it CAN look! Obligatory end of Gen comment about peak graphics and diminishing returns.
@Redlambs incoming...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I tried this on the PS4 at a friends and never really fancied it, but considering it's coming over, I'll give it a go I think

Redlambs

I tried this on the PS4 at a friends and never really fancied it, but considering it's coming over, I'll give it a go I think
It's going to be worth it on PC. They'll need to ramp up the difficulty for MKB though.

I stopped playing it half way through back when it was released when I heard about them pushing for a port.

afrocentricity

It's not white text when you @ noob.

And the answer is, a lot. But not just look better, sharper and more colourful, we can finally have proper framerates and aim :drool:
:lol: :lol: :lol: you always say this!

I'm with you on the framerate side, hopefully we see more than just shinier graphics. Like better AI, more density, better physics etc...

afrocentricity

Always say what?

And that's a big fat NO to better A.I and physics. People only care about floppies and all that.
The bit about graphics getting better, which is what actually happens. I always get to the end of the console Gen and struggle to visualise how much they can improve.... It's deja vu. Except this time I can believe it...

Shame about the prioritizing of shinier flops though. HZD2 doesn't need better graphics, it could do with a denser world with more to do, a higher framerate and better AI though.... Imho.

Redlambs

The bit about graphics getting better, which is what actually happens. I always get to the end of the console Gen and struggle to visualise how much they can improve.... It's deja vu. Except this time I can believe it...

Shame about the prioritizing of shinier flops though. HZD2 doesn't need better graphics, it could do with a denser world with more to do, a higher framerate and better AI though.... Imho.
You are completely right. The likes of us have never been graphics whores, the gameplay, story and experience are king.

Others love the shiney, and as I always say, people who think it can't get better are the ones who are easily pleased...and I mean that as no slight at all, I envy them. I envy seeing the first games of a new generation and be wowed, becoming a developer ruined that for me forever :(

However, as much as it's hard to believe, even simple things get better. I mean look at HZD, the textures if you get up close can be real ugly at times and lifeless. Cleverly, the art style allowed for vibrant colours to offset that and trick the eye, it's like those filtured shots of the actual world people post on instagram.

Proper lighting via ray tracing when it comes is going to work wonders that makes HDR look like ps2 graphics. However, it can also be used for others things like sound and even (but don't hold hope) proper ballistics.

Yet the cost, as always, will be framerate. These consoles will obviously be faster and better, but bottlenecked. I just hope people clock on more to fps being king over everything else if they ever actually get to experience 120 (which is low by today's standards anyway!) and realise that something like HZD does look great and perhaps we don't need much better, just much smoother.

/weaste

afrocentricity

You are completely right. The likes of us have never been graphics whores, the gameplay, story and experience are king.

Others love the shiney, and as I always say, people who think it can't get better are the ones who are easily pleased...and I mean that as no slight at all, I envy them. I envy seeing the first games of a new generation and be wowed, becoming a developer ruined that for me forever :(

However, as much as it's hard to believe, even simple things get better. I mean look at HZD, the textures if you get up close can be real ugly at times and lifeless. Cleverly, the art style allowed for vibrant colours to offset that and trick the eye, it's like those filtured shots of the actual world people post on instagram.

Proper lighting via ray tracing when it comes is going to work wonders that makes HDR look like ps2 graphics. However, it can also be used for others things like sound and even (but don't hold hope) proper ballistics.

Yet the cost, as always, will be framerate. These consoles will obviously be faster and better, but bottlenecked. I just hope people clock on more to fps being king over everything else if they ever actually get to experience 120 (which is low by today's standards anyway!) and realise that something like HZD does look great and perhaps we don't need much better, just much smoother.

/weaste
Pfft Half Life got me leaning towards PC now anyway. Unless it heads to PS5.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I never got exclusive games, it's simply bragging rights for fan boys, I'd love all games multi platform, I don't care if last of us was let's say now being released on Xbox, as I'd love the opportunity to have halo or for a on ps4.

Redlambs

Sooooo terrible PC launch aside (fecking interns), now I've got it working it's such a better game at higher fps and mouse aim completely changes what you can do in the combat (obviously at the cost of more time to master Aloy's movements). It's a bit of a shame they haven't made more of an effort with the graphics, but it's still gorgeous enough to pull it off. Especially if you bump up the model and textures :drool:

Think I'll be sticking with it this time.

SirAnderson

Sooooo terrible PC launch aside (fecking interns), now I've got it working it's such a better game at higher fps and mouse aim completely changes what you can do in the combat (obviously at the cost of more time to master Aloy's movements). It's a bit of a shame they haven't made more of an effort with the graphics, but it's still gorgeous enough to pull it off. Especially if you bump up the model and textures :drool:

Think I'll be sticking with it this time.
Just got this today, and got through the intro. I see alot of complaints on the performance side, but it felt decent for me.
Once I get into it more, will see how it goes.
Looks good though, playing it on 4k max ultra settings.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just got this today, and got through the intro. I see alot of complaints on the performance side, but it felt decent for me.
What rig are you using and what frames are you getting?

Its hard to get it to look much better as it looked insane of PS4 pro. Guerrilla really did wonderful checkerboard implementation. Also a lot of people won’t be playing this with HDR on pc which takes away a lot imo.

Redlambs

The engine has a lot of problems with varying set ups and some of those graphic settings (like the AF which you are better off forcing through you card settings) are borked. It should look even better if they manage to fix it, or as I say if you force it. We are lucky to be getting a smooth game (though I've gone for 144hz over full 4k, and it's a dream playing in that) as others are struggling.

I had initial problems running the game from the off, largely due to not running a page file as I have plenty of memory, which interfered with that baffling "optimizing for optimal performance" nonsense they start the game with.

What rig are you using and what frames are you getting?

Its hard to get it to look much better as it looked insane of PS4 pro. Guerrilla really did wonderful checkerboard implementation. Also a lot of people won’t be playing this with HDR on pc which takes away a lot imo.
It should look better when they fix the issues (I should say IF they can), though they could have done more with the textures. Still, it looks great for it's age, if a little disappointing it doesn't do more. I'm just so much happier with a proper framerate, that alone makes it a much better game experience, and the aiming is just so much more fun.