Film Horror Films

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
I enjoyed Sinister, but the ending is a bit crap. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
I hated that film. Every single jump was already shown in the trailer. :mad:
Oh remembered another that was pretty good

The Conjuring.
They've made a sequel of sorts thats in the cinema atm - annabelle
Annabelle was terrible.
Have you seen the Spanish film REC? Quarantine was a remake of that.

I saw the original and thought it was good, but haven't seen Quarantine - I wonder how the two compare!
REC is far better.

Suli

Of the ones I've watched recently, Babadook was by far the best.

Last month, I've watched these films either at home or in cinema:
  • Babadook
  • Annabelle
  • The Conjuring
  • Insidious
  • As Above So Below
  • Sinister
  • Evil Dead
I want to go watch Ouija but it's probably a film which displays all the jumps in the trailer.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Eyes Without A Face, Repulsion and The Shining are the best of the best with horror. Evil Dead 2 (although not really a horror) a tier below that.

As something that probably wouldn't otherwise be mentioned, I stumbled across a cool if a little camp series of horror movies called Coffin Joe, by a Brazilian filmmaker Mojica Marins. I've only seen the first two films, and they are a little hokey and low budget but well worth a watch if you're into gothic and surreal horror stories.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Best horror film is probably the original Evil Dead, would love to watch that through the Oculus Rift 120 degree angle like the horror film that has recently been released on there (apparently easy to do for any film) will be really like your in the cabin.

Looking forward 360 degree 3D Zombie films of the future.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm a huge horror fanatic but it's extremely difficult to answer this as people are afraid of different things... some supernatural, others serial killers, some disasters etc... I would say the following are pretty scary:

The Shining
The Conjuring
The Ring (Japanese version)
Inside (A, Linteieur)
The Innocents
Grave Encounters (if you are into found footage films)
Insidious
REC (the original Spanish one)
Shutter (The Thai version)
A Tale Of Two Sisters

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I love horror films and Halloween is easily my favourite. Not many horror films really scare me or anything like that nowadays. The best being the strangers and Paranormal Activity. I'd recommend the strangers for anyone that likes Halloween, has that same suspenseful, chilling feel to it.

Nickosaur

Man I love a good horror film.

Firstly the Babadook is meant to be one of the best modern horror films, comparable to the Conjuring - I don't know how anyone could deduce from the trailer alone that it looks terrible. I thought it was one of the best trailers I've seen in the past 12 months and I can't wait until I find a decent download of it.

The Thing, The Shining, Alien, The Conjuring, Rosemary's Baby, The Ring (both are good films), Blair Witch, The Brood (Cronenberg), plenty more.

Paranormal Activity 3 is a weird one as me and some mates were high as feck when we went to see it at the cinema, and it was probably the scariest experience of my life. I'm pretty sure if I rewatched it, it wouldn't have the same effect...

My favourite is probably REC. God damn, that final scene in the attic is horrific. Even the 2nd isn't too bad, but I haven't even bothered with the rest, they seem to completely butcher the franchise.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
"Based on a true story.." makes a film about 32x more scary.

The Conjuring was a really well made horror with some great scenes in it.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Firstly the Babadook is meant to be one of the best modern horror films, comparable to the Conjuring - I don't know how anyone could deduce from the trailer alone that it looks terrible. I thought it was one of the best trailers I've seen in the past 12 months and I can't wait until I find a decent download of it.
See it at the cinema you eejit!

Loublaze

ATLien
Have you seen the Spanish film REC? Quarantine was a remake of that.

I saw the original and thought it was good, but haven't seen Quarantine - I wonder how the two compare!
Quarantine is really good. I think I saw REC on either my Netflix or Amazon Instant Prime lists. I'll give it a look

Loublaze

ATLien
REC's one I've missed. Worth a watch?

LOVE The Howling! Belongs in the same conversation as American Werewolf and Shaun of the Dead. "How do you want your steak honey? "Rare."
Fvcking classic! The sequel was a travesty.

Nickosaur

See it at the cinema you eejit!
While it would be 100x scarier I agree, I would lose all credibility I have as a man. Anytime I've gone to see a horror film at the cinema I've ended up slouched right down in my chair with my hands on my face, covering my ears and shielding my eyes. I'm being serious, it would be a fecking disaster.

Nickosaur

Quarantine is really good. I think I saw REC on either my Netflix or Amazon Instant Prime lists. I'll give it a look
Quarantine wasn't so much a remake, more a shot-by-shot, almost identical film to REC except it was in English. Yet it still managed to be complete trash. REC just nails everything that much better. Plus it has subtitles so you feel kinda intelligent watching it.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation

The Thing, The Shining, Alien, The Conjuring, Rosemary's Baby, The Ring (both are good films), Blair Witch, The Brood (Cronenberg), plenty more.

Paranormal Activity 3 is a weird one as me and some mates were high as feck when we went to see it at the cinema, and it was probably the scariest experience of my life. I'm pretty sure if I rewatched it, it wouldn't have the same effect...

My favourite is probably REC. God damn, that final scene in the attic is horrific. Even the 2nd isn't too bad, but I haven't even bothered with the rest, they seem to completely butcher the franchise.
I think they tried to make REC 3 a comedy. It was fecking awful.

Shark

@NotShark

Isn't that the purpose of trailers though? to attract an audience and give you a brief idea what the movie is all about? I thought it looked absolutely ridiculous, in a funny way. Hopefully the movie is scary.

Nickosaur

Isn't that the purpose of trailers though? to attract an audience and give you a brief idea what the movie is all about? I thought it looked absolutely ridiculous, in a funny way. Hopefully the movie is scary.
Fair enough. I got an old fashioned horror film vibe from it, similar to The Exorcist in a way. Managed to give you an idea of what it was about without showing you the monster about 7 times.

Could turn out to be shit, but I think it's screened early in Oz and got some decent reviews so far.

Suli

I found the trailer hilarious but the actual film was fantastic, even with a few laughs in it! A must see in the cinema. A strange horror though.

Suli

Babadook is the type of film which just has you lowering yourself further and further into your seat, waiting for a jump that never happens. It's a real mind feck.

Shark

@NotShark
Fair enough. I got an old fashioned horror film vibe from it, similar to The Exorcist in a way. Managed to give you an idea of what it was about without showing you the monster about 7 times.

Could turn out to be shit, but I think it's screened early in Oz and got some decent reviews so far.
Yeah, it's getting amazing reviews alright. I'm definitely going to see it regardless.

Shark

@NotShark
I found the trailer hilarious but the actual film was fantastic, even with a few laughs in it! A must see in the cinema. A strange horror though.
Cool. I think all horrors worth their salt should be seen in the cinema. Remember being scared shitless of The Conjuring in the cinema was hardly fazed the 2nd time I seen it at home with my sister. Could have been also down to the fact that I knew what was going to happen though.

Suli

I didn't really find the Conjuring scary, don't know why. I'm so used to jumps now, that's the issue with horrors.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The exorcist
The shining
Nightmare on elm st part 1
Halloween
Texas chainsaw
Blair witch
Paranormal part 1
IT

Love them all. I watch many horror movies, very disappointed with some of the recent ones like the conjuring and insidious but I did like sinister which wasnt rated as highly as the other two

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I saw this last week and I really felt let down. It is a good film in it's own right but it was definitely not a good horror film because it was not scary in the slightest. I understand that the director was trying to show the two types of things that make us scared (supernatural and the norm) but it concentrated TOO much on the latter and made the film a little feel a little flat.

Suli

Acually, I lie. When I watch a decent horror film on my own in my room, I do get scared. I have to keep looking behind me :lol:
I watch it on the TV whilst I sit on my bed with nothing but a wall behind me. :cool:

Loublaze

ATLien
Quarantine wasn't so much a remake, more a shot-by-shot, almost identical film to REC except it was in English. Yet it still managed to be complete trash. REC just nails everything that much better. Plus it has subtitles so you feel kinda intelligent watching it.
I'll definitely check it out. I traditionally watch as many horror movies as I can every October til Halloween

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
While it would be 100x scarier I agree, I would lose all credibility I have as a man. Anytime I've gone to see a horror film at the cinema I've ended up slouched right down in my chair with my hands on my face, covering my ears and shielding my eyes. I'm being serious, it would be a fecking disaster.
:lol:

My friends couldn't stop laughing at me after Parnormal Activity, you're not alone.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
I like watching horror films, though I don't find them particularly scary.

The only one that ever really got me was Scream - and that only for its opening scene, which I thought was terrifying. Emotionally engaging, brilliantly acted by Drew Barrymore, the pacing of it right up till its frantic end was genius.

In fact, it's by far the most underrated horror scene of all time IMO. Susperia's opening was similar, though no way near as bad. Tainted by Scary Movie since, but back in 1996 that was the scene that made me shit my load.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

HD rip is out mate, go report it

arthurka

Cannibal Holocaust
Last house on the left
Evil Dead
Halloween
Shining
The thing
American werewolf in London

Danny Boi

I like watching horror films, though I don't find them particularly scary.

The only one that ever really got me was Scream - and that only for its opening scene, which I thought was terrifying. Emotionally engaging, brilliantly acted by Drew Barrymore, the pacing of it right up till its frantic end was genius.

In fact, it's by far the most underrated horror scene of all time IMO. Susperia's opening was similar, though no way near as bad. Tainted by Scary Movie since, but back in 1996 that was the scene that made me shit my load.
I'd have to agree with you.Not a massive horror person but the other night I said I would get into the Halloween spirit and put on a horror.I had heard Scream wasn't too scary and was more of a satire.

So I went to watch it on my own at night.Long story short,I didn't even last ten minutes,got as far as the doorbell ringing and had to turn it off.

Watched Oculas with some friends yesterday.Some of them had watched it before and said it was the scariest they'd every seen.Was it feck,it was creepy all right and reasonably well made.But besides a few jump scares it wasn't that scary at all