Film Horror Films

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

It's All Hallows' Eve... eve. What are the best, and scariest, horror films you've seen? I haven't watched one that's actually scared me in far too long (hopefully Babadook changes that this weekend), in need of a good scare. Recommendations?

JP77

Halloween and I doubt anything will ever top it. The ultimate horror movie.

Sky Movies are so shit. Halloween tomorrow and barely a decent horror movie in sight.

Shark

@NotShark
Babadook looks fecking terrible going by any trailers I've seen of it, but I'm a big fan of horrors and it's getting amazing reviews, so I have to see the dam thing.

caid

I saw a pretty good horror movie a couple of months ago that i, annoyingly, cant remember the name of.
It was set in ireland. Guy and a girl are driving to a hotel in the arse end of nowhere and get lost.
Then people start screwing with them.

Think it was released this or last year.
The fall sounds right but i know its wrong.

Bole Top

the best: Prince of Darkness, The Exorcist, The Shining, Alien, The Thing, The Mist, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Carrie, Psycho...

the scariest: The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, Insidious :nervous:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I saw a pretty good horror movie a couple of months ago that i, annoyingly, cant remember the name of.
It was set in ireland. Guy and a girl are driving to a hotel in the arse end of nowhere and get lost.
Then people start screwing with them.

Think it was released this or last year.
The fall sounds right but i know its wrong.
in fear? its quite good... but wouldn't say is that scary. Although its a situation that could happen to anybody...

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
this are 3 movies, all different to each other, but scary nonetheless.

- Dark Skies
- the descent
- A línterieur (aka Inside)

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The Descent is good but don't watch Descent 2 because it ruins the first one.

ThierryHenry

Yeah, Descent and The Others are the best two I've seen this side of the Millennium. Maybe The Orphanage as well.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I love The Orphanage!

One that I saw a while ago, by Nacho Cerda, The Abandoned, I really enjoyed it but it didn't get good reviews I think. I should probably re watch to see whether it's actually any good or not.

Heardy

Generally films with demonic possession etc scare me more than slasher type movies, but I cannot remember the last time I saw a film that actually scared me.

Sure I jump when someone jumps from behind a door, but the Horror genre has been unbelievably poor for so many years. Maybe we live amongst a generation that has been desensitised to many things in terms of horror, and nothing is new anymore.

Tarrou

I'm not a big fan of this genre but I do tend to enjoy anything post-apocolyptic so I like some Zombie movies. Of the ones I've seen recently I really liked Pontypool.

Shark

@NotShark
Generally films with demonic possession etc scare me more than slasher type movies, but I cannot remember the last time I saw a film that actually scared me.

Sure I jump when someone jumps from behind a door, but the Horror genre has been unbelievably poor for so many years. Maybe we live amongst a generation that has been desensitised to many things in terms of horror, and nothing is new anymore.
Horror movies weren't scary 'back in the day' either from what I've seen. I can list the films that have genuinely scared me on one hand. They're too far and in between and always have been.

ThierryHenry

Horror movies weren't scary 'back in the day' either from what I've seen. I can list the films that have genuinely scared me on one hand. They're too far and in between and always have been.
Exactly. For me personally, I can think of...

Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
Halloween
Ringu
The Others
The Descent
The Orphanage
Silence of The Lambs
Paranormal Activity (absolutely shat myself seeing this at the cinema)

Some of those I watched really young though, they probably wouldn't affect me now.

Heardy

Really? So you're telling me that if The Exorcist was released now having not been previously, there would be the same furore? I remember my parents telling me there were priests outside of cinemas asking people not to go in. The stir that film caused on release was almost unheard of, but nowadays people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Or when you say they weren't scary back in the day, do you mean to you watching them 30-40 years later, or that people at the time weren't scared either? If the former, surely that adds to my point of the modern audience being largely desensitised, and less easy to shock/scare...

GBBQ

Naaaah. I'd heard good things, but found it pretty terrible. The Red Demon at the end was just laughable.
I think generally horror films follow a rule that they are scary up until the point the monster / ghost / entity reveals itself. Insidious did have me jumping in places, the little kid standing at the wall that the camera pans past. The guy outside the window when she walks back into the bay's room. But its the movie maker cheating with music and visuals rather than being something genuinely terrifying.

And agreed, the red demon was a let down.

Shark

@NotShark
Really? So you're telling me that if The Exorcist was released now having not been previously, there would be the same furore? I remember my parents telling me there were priests outside of cinemas asking people not to go in. The stir that film caused on release was almost unheard of, but nowadays people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Or when you say they weren't scary back in the day, do you mean to you watching them 30-40 years later, or that people at the time weren't scared either? If the former, surely that adds to my point of the modern audience being largely desensitised, and less easy to shock/scare...
No, I mean that scary movies were few and far between back in the day too. While it's true that our imaginations are more advanced these days, I don't think there's a shortage of scary movies today compared to around 30 years ago or so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This scene from a movie 30-40 years ago scared the absolute crap out of me.

No idea if a similar scene in a contemporary movie would have the same effect. Or if it needed to be watched when I was a) younger and b) not used to modern, effects-laden movies from the same genre.

Either way, it's one of the most creepy scenes I can remember from any movie ever.

Heardy

No, I mean the scary movies were few and far between back in the day too. While it's true that our imaginations are more advanced these days, I don't think there's a shortage of scary movies today compared to around 30 years ago or so.
That I agree with. I just think if you ask people to name their top 5 classic horror films they're from the 70's/80's.

Halloween (1978)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Shining (1980)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Alien (1979)

Loublaze

ATLien
In no particular order, avoiding some of the very well known classic franchises like Jason, Haloween, Alien, Texas Chainsaw etc.

1. The Howling (1981)

2. Carrie (the 1976 original and the 2013 remake)

3. The Possesion (2012)- Surprisingly good

4. The Legend of Hell house (1973)

5. The Haunting (1963)

6. Night of the living dead (1968)- The George Romero classic, first zombie movie, well zombies as we know them now

7. Children of the Corn (1984)- Classic, scared the shit out of me as a kid

8. Quarantine (2008)

9. Poltergeist (1982)

10. The Descent (2005)

Loublaze

ATLien
Drag me to hell was good, I also enjoyed Mama and The Woman in Black even though they were pretty much panned by everyone. Insidious was good, Wrong Turn (2003) was good.

caid

in fear? its quite good... but wouldn't say is that scary. Although its a situation that could happen to anybody...
Sounds like it. Yeah its not really scary but its quite good imo.
Tbh i've been scared / freaked out by about 2 horror films ever so its not something i really judge them on.
One was childs play when i was about 4 (my brother was an awesome babysitter lol).
Then ring which i was high as a kite for.

Ill throw out a list anyway not all are scary, some are more comedy horror i guess
Evil Dead (even the new one is decent)
Ring
Paranormal activity (only seen the first, it was decent)
Aliens
Guillermo Del Toro's the orphanage (guy who directed pans labyrinth)
The Decent (2nd one is a bit crap, reasonably entertaining crap but a huge let down after the first)
They Live (not really a horror movie but its funny shit)

Saw a crap alien horror film the other night, so bad it was good kind of thing, monster looked pretty cool
ExtraTerrestrial or something

EDIT:
Got a few recommendations from a work buddy

Pulse
Dark Skies
Skinwalker Ranch (said this is great)
Fire in the Sky

I liked mama too btw (again not really scary but a good story all the same)

Last edited:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Have you seen the Spanish film REC? Quarantine was a remake of that.

I saw the original and thought it was good, but haven't seen Quarantine - I wonder how the two compare!
I've seen them both, but I can't remember how they compare exactly, but I do remember REC was much better.

caid

Oh remembered another that was pretty good

The Conjuring.
They've made a sequel of sorts thats in the cinema atm - annabelle

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You're Next is on Netflix now, that's a good spin on what people expect from horror movies, without being too smug about it.

Last edited:

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Babadook looks fecking terrible going by any trailers I've seen of it, but I'm a big fan of horrors and it's getting amazing reviews, so I have to see the dam thing.
It's awesome! No jumps, just constantly shitting yourself throughout.