Film Horror Films

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
I'd have to agree with you.Not a massive horror person but the other night I said I would get into the Halloween spirit and put on a horror.I had heard Scream wasn't too scary and was more of a satire.

So I went to watch it on my own at night.Long story short,I didn't even last ten minutes,got as far as the doorbell ringing and had to turn it off.

Watched Oculas with some friends yesterday.Some of them had watched it before and said it was the scariest they'd every seen.Was it feck,it was creepy all right and reasonably well made.But besides a few jump scares it wasn't that scary at all
That seems to be the general consensus. It does poke fun at the horror genre and its cliche's, even in the opening scene, but it's not slapstick. It cleverely mixes satire with legitimate horror, defined by that opening scene. It's iconic IMO, and genuinely frightening.

You get a sense of how vulnerable Casey is after the conversation takes a turn for the worse, and it was kind of heart wrenching when she was being stabbed to death a few feet away from her parents who were just coming home. It left alot to the imagination too, you didn't see her boyfriend get killed, just the aftermath, and you didn't see how she was mutilated other than the shot when she's strung up to a tree.

Clever use of the popcorn prop too in that it starts to get out of control as the situation becomes more chaotic. No one expected a genuine star like Drew Barrymore to get killed off so quick either, that added to the shock value. The horror element came from the emotional attachment to the character. No paranormal BS, not overly gory, and it didn't have any cheap jump scenes which you'd usually aniticpate. It was believable and it left its mark...

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Haute Tension aka High Tension or Switchblade Romance in American.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Canal, The Houses October Built and The Taking Of Deborah Logan are three more recent horror films that are decent

Dante

Average bang
See it at the cinema you eejit!
I watched it at the cinema, but the experience was ruined when a girl in another aisle started giggling everytime

the Babadook showed up on screen. It completely took me out of the moment. The CGI wasn't great to be fair, but there's a reason why I hate watching movies in packed theatres. There are always at least a couple of Philistines.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Watched Hellraiser last night. I saw it years ago when I was a kid, but that's quite a few years ago now so I couldn't remember most of it. It was bloody awesome.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Watched Hellraiser last night. I saw it years ago when I was a kid, but that's quite a few years ago now so I couldn't remember most of it. It was bloody awesome.

It's a classic. Doesn't take itself too seriously and is genuinely original. The sequels are atrocious though.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

One of my favourites mate. The sequel Hellbound is well worth watching if you haven't seen it!

Garethw

It's a classic. Doesn't take itself too seriously and is genuinely original. The sequels are atrocious though.
The second one (Hellbound) was really good. There was a sharp decline after that though.

Garethw

If anyone has a spare 6-7 hours the hellraiser 1-2 documentary leviathan is worth a watch.

Garethw

Maybe the sequels are blurring into one. There's a really crap one with a nightclub boss who buys a statue of Pinhead, which inevitably comes to life.
That's number 3 mate, Hell on earth. That one was shite!

Hellbound was a continuation of the first one and is pretty messed up.

Garethw

The trouble with most of the hellraiser sequels (after part 4) is they were written as original horror movies, bought by the studio and then re-written to shoe horn pinhead into them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Baskin looks like a creepy as hell horror film from Turkey. Gonna definitely check it out. I watched a film called Last Shift recently that was quite scary.

pauldyson1uk

Not really found any horror/thriller movie scary since I was a kid. I really enjoy them though.
I am the same , Horror is my fav type of film to watch, but they are just not scary any more, last one to actually scare me was the first Nightmare on Elm Street, many years ago.
I think my problem is watching too many crappy ones and already expecting any I watch to be crap.
Evil Dead, Halloween , Shining , The thing and American werewolf in London are all very good.
The new ones I have seen recently are all good films, but just dont scare me.
Exorcism films are my very favorite but all the ones I have seen are just rubbish, I watched The Exorcist again a while ago and it was just not has good as a remember it.
The Oman 1 and 2 are good only for the 3rd one to be complete rubbish and IT is also excellent.
Just like Twigg , I still enjoy watching Horror films just not scared by them.

Art Vandelay

I think the last horror that scared me was The Descent and that wasn't so much scared as claustrophobic.

There's one on UK Netflix at the minute called Housebound which is surprisingly pretty good. The trailers for The Witch have looked decent too.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I watched The Ring at a young age (5/6) at my dads, with my dad funnily enough. That was probably the only movie to really scare me and actually left a deep rooted trauma for me that I still have today (I'm absolutely terrified of the film even now). I spent months afterwards afraid to sleep in a room on my own, in the dark, to bath or be around a TV on my own.

Since then, nothing has really scared me in the same way The Ring did and it left me desensitised to any other horror movie. I still jump and go crazy when I know there will be jump scares but there is no lasting effect on me like it should be.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I am the same , Horror is my fav type of film to watch, but they are just not scary any more, last one to actually scare me was the first Nightmare on Elm Street, many years ago.
I think my problem is watching too many crappy ones and already expecting any I watch to be crap.
Evil Dead, Halloween , Shining , The thing and American werewolf in London are all very good.
The new ones I have seen recently are all good films, but just dont scare me.
Exorcism films are my very favorite but all the ones I have seen are just rubbish, I watched The Exorcist again a while ago and it was just not has good as a remember it.
The Oman 1 and 2 are good only for the 3rd one to be complete rubbish and IT is also excellent.
Just like Twigg , I still enjoy watching Horror films just not scared by them.
Good shout on Nightmare on Elm street, I remember a scene where someone's driving a car, and one of Freddie's fingers comes through the seat. Had me frightened for ages that one.

Heardy

I watched The Ring at a young age (5/6) at my dads, with my dad funnily enough. That was probably the only movie to really scare me and actually left a deep rooted trauma for me that I still have today (I'm absolutely terrified of the film even now). I spent months afterwards afraid to sleep in a room on my own, in the dark, to bath or be around a TV on my own.

Since then, nothing has really scared me in the same way The Ring did and it left me desensitised to any other horror movie. I still jump and go crazy when I know there will be jump scares but there is no lasting effect on me like it should be.
You were only 5! Of course no horror film is going to scare you as much as an adult as that did - the scariest thing you should see at that age is the hyenas in lion king or some other Disney villain.

Why round your dad let you watch that? Did he think you'd not pay attention or it'd go over your head?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
You were only 5! Of course no horror film is going to scare you as much as an adult as that did - the scariest thing you should see at that age is the hyenas in lion king or some other Disney villain.

Why round your dad let you watch that? Did he think you'd not pay attention or it'd go over your head?
I dunno. A serious misjudgement I guess. He also rang me up the next day and said I had 7 days to live, like the girl did in the film. Probably the worst thing he has done in terms of parenting.

Art Vandelay

I dunno. A serious misjudgement I guess. He also rang me up the next day and said I had 7 days to live, like the girl did in the film. Probably the worst thing he has done in terms of parenting.
:lol: Brilliant.

It's not that bad, I watched a lot of horror and action films around that age and it did me no harm. They really didn't enforce the age rating when renting films, I'd tag along to the rental place and rent stuff like Rambo, Aliens, Conan the Barbarian and Kick Boxer. Although I did spend a summer convinced that The Predator was after me as it was really hot and clearly I was the superior specimen for hunting. Chucky and Freddie Krueger scared the bejesus out of me.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Brilliant.

It's not that bad, I watched a lot of horror and action films around that age and it did me no harm. They really didn't enforce the age rating when renting films, I'd tag along to the rental place and rent stuff like Rambo, Aliens, Conan the Barbarian and Kick Boxer. Although I did spend a summer convinced that The Predator was after me as it was really hot and clearly I was the superior specimen for hunting. Chucky and Freddie Krueger scared the bejesus out of me.
Yeah, my dad/mum were pretty lax on what I was allowed to watch too. The old horror movies never scared me as a kid though and no horror movie after The Ring did either. I don't know why but that film fecked me right up.

dcullivanio

After watching alone and being quite on edge, I remember that there was a special feature on the DVD that you could access that showed 'the video' of the girl. When it started to play you couldn't turn it off! I sh#t myself and unplugged the telly at the wall as fast as I could! My wife point blank refuses to watch it with me!

dcullivanio

Quite a big fan of 'What Lies Beneath'. It has a real feel of a proper old school horror and some good moments.

I remember loving the Friday the 13th films as a young teen. Re watched them all the other year and they're so poor now. 'Halloween' is still a classic though. and the original 'The Fog' - loved that. Another couple of brilliant 80's ones are 'The Thing' (although maybe more sci-fi than Horror) and 'American Werewolf'.....Let's not forget 'Alien' in the sci-fi/horror bracket. Genius movie

'Insidious' and 'The Conjuring' have been two of the creepiest of the last few years imo. Found 'The Babadook' to be in that vein as well.

I love a horror but very rarely get to watch them as the wife just refuses. Although I did get her to watch the Babadook on my Birthday. Well and truly played the Birthday 'card' that day.

Watched the new Poltergeist last week after she fell asleep. What a load of Rubbish. Although I’m not a huge fan of the original either, the remake is really really poor.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
:lol::lol::lol:

You should watch the Grudge. For a while I liked the Japanese horror feels- much more about the psychological than blood and guts being spattered everywhere. They do get a bit same-y after a while though.