Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

mu4c_20le

There's going to be smaller time jumps throughout the season but the big time jump will happen in episode 6 iirc. That's when the new actors for Rhaenyra and Alicent come in.
Thats a shame, the two girls are doing very well. And I hate change.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There's going to be smaller time jumps throughout the season but the big time jump will happen in episode 6 iirc. That's when the new actors for Rhaenyra and Alicent come in.
Must be frustrating for an actor. Getting a big part in a huge show and someone else takes the character because of a time skip.

I'd be bitter as feck! :lol:

)_(

Thats a shame, the two girls are doing very well. And I hate change.
I won't say too much in case I get sniped down by the mods but it's kinda necessary for the story because a lot of time passes.

mu4c_20le

I won't say too much in case I get sniped down by the mods but it's kinda necessary for the story because a lot of time passes.
I understand, the story is going to get darker and this is the young, naive version of them. I will miss Milly Alcock though, only 22 and already seems to have that main character aura about her.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Isn't that everything, ever?
No. If you build a strong enough foundation or have good enough architects you can avert complete disaster very early in the life of a work, even if you may still fail to fulfill the initial promise. Check anything by Ozu, Hitchcock or Bergman, Faulkner or Morrison.

This show is still very much teetering.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I understand, the story is going to get darker and this is the young, naive version of them. I will miss Milly Alcock though, only 22 and already seems to have that main character aura about her.
Yeah she's been very good.

Olivia Cooke will be the older brunette though so... :drool:

Robindinho

Watched it last night, enjoyed it. Good cast.

Hope it's not just a jump - with a '10 years later', as though nothing's happened in that time.

)_(

Watched it last night, enjoyed it. Good cast.

Hope it's not just a jump - with a '10 years later', as though nothing's happened in that time.
I don't know how the jump is going to play out as I haven't seen it yet but there will be a 10 year time jump and the first 5 episodes will also have some jumps because I think we're covering about 20 years if you count from post-prologue till the end of the season of which 10 will be covered by the timejump. I'm assuming things will have happened in that time but also assume that the major things will play out on screen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Damn, that's a thing? what a shame, she has great screen presence. Shes cute too which always helps.

I'm sure she will have a big future after this though.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I won't. She looks like the daughter of Michael Owen. From Love Island straight into Westeros!

Plus no titties...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Really liked it... Very solid start.

I thought Paddy Considine was bloody great... Maybe that's just because I think he's great in pretty much everything but yeah, star of the show for me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
How much is this show worth watching for somebody who's never seen GoT?
I doubt there will be any direct ties at all to the original. It will be like watching a high production show that requires no knowledge of the series. Might have a few references to appease GoT fans, but nothing that would require any knowledge of GoT.

I fecking loved this. Brilliant start. Violent, bloody, intense. Scheming and political. Strong Game of Thrones season 3 and 4 vibes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They were blunt as a hammer in the intro.

"172 years before the birth of Daenerys Targaryen."

I imagine the only crossover will be family names and the setting.
They also took time to do some exposition and show the relationships between characters, which some criticized as obvious but was actually intentional. The pilot for GoT supposedly had to be re-done because test viewers had no idea who anyone was and how they were related.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That was pretty damn good. Only thing I didn't like was the honestly baffling decision to have that "a Targaryen needs to be on the throne to defend humanity against the long winter" speech at the end. If GoT season 8 hadn't happened, that would have been cool. But as it is we know it didn't mean shit, and all it did was take me out of that otherwise great scene and momentarily make me remember the terrible disappointment of the ending of GoT.

Just a weird choice to make.
That was how I felt

I don’t think I understand your opposition to that line? I thought it provided an important insight into the Targaryen ethnocentrism; this view that only they can ‘save’ the living. It wasn’t meant to be taken literally, particularly coming from a character clearly preoccupied with safeguarding his lineage.
Interesting take and I hadn’t thought of that, but I still don’t think it was worth putting in. The opening made sure to distance itself from the thrones story, and I don’t really see much benefit from linking the two narratives to that specific part of the ASOIAF world. Sure it gave an insight to their ethnocentrism, but I don’t think one was needed, they have dragons is enough

That reveal will come up in the books (lol) I imagine, as it’s been hinted at, and I think it will make more sense to me being included in there, rather than a spin off with no tangible link to that threat

Still really enjoyed it, thought they did a good job. Especially with the added complexity of it being the opening episode

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Dude just watch GoT. Seasons 1-6 are unmatched in tv history. Actually those who have binged it have generally liked 7-8 too, simply because they haven't had years between seasons where they've gone down the rabbit hole and fantasised about all sorts of wacky theories.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
New trailer here. It's for episode two AND beyond. So fair warning.

TheRedHearted

I doubt there will be any direct ties at all to the original. It will be like watching a high production show that requires no knowledge of the series. Might have a few references to appease GoT fans, but nothing that would require any knowledge of GoT.
The whole prophecy sort of takes away from this take
Thought it was good but I remember GoT being far grittier.
main thing I noticed was how more artistic this series is shot. Way more stylized and I love it. The silhouette of the high towers and other shots support that.
That being said the scene between the two brothers in front of the throne was extremely well done, especially the acting.

)_(

That was how I felt

Interesting take and I hadn’t thought of that, but I still don’t think it was worth putting in. The opening made sure to distance itself from the thrones story, and I don’t really see much benefit from linking the two narratives to that specific part of the ASOIAF world. Sure it gave an insight to their ethnocentrism, but I don’t think one was needed, they have dragons is enough

That reveal will come up in the books (lol) I imagine, as it’s been hinted at, and I think it will make more sense to me being included in there, rather than a spin off with no tangible link to that threat

Still really enjoyed it, thought they did a good job. Especially with the added complexity of it being the opening episode
I think the point that they're trying to make is that it's kinda been a through line for the Targaryens to some extent, dreams (aka prophecies) in general and that it's influenced a lot of their actions. Considering Condal is a grrm fanboy I can understand that he wants to bring a bit more of that stuff in especially since this is a story that has a lot less magic and fantasy elements than the main series, especially considering that the adaptation of it kinda left a whole lot of that out.

Dude just watch GoT. Seasons 1-6 are unmatched in tv history. Actually those who have binged it have generally liked 7-8 too, simply because they haven't had years between seasons where they've gone down the rabbit hole and fantasised about all sorts of wacky theories.
I actually wouldn't recommend they watch it because Game of Thrones has a major spoiler of this show. Unless they don't mind spoilers of course. But maybe not watching it makes this a more pleasant experience too, you won't have the disappointment of stuff like the prophecy etc.
New trailer here. It's for episode two AND beyond. So fair warning.

hmm thats weird it seems to be missing the beginning part? Not sure if this is the official promo? there doesn't seem to be any on the official channels but it has images from these two trailers that dropped recently:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
There's a lot of fan service in here. Some dialogue was literally "thats the grand grand father of that character in GoT!"

Hard to say one episode in. I think this will be Vikings/Witcher level show. Okay watch, but not as brilliant as early-mid GoT.

Donut

Enjoyed it so much that I will stay well clear from this thread. I don’t know anything about the plot really, and there’s bound to be major spoilers in here.

Woodzy

Can’t watch this without expecting Erling Haaland to pop up at the back post

Gandalf

I really want them to subvert expectations and do something original with the characters. Daemon is already full blown pantomime villain after one episode, Otto is effectively Littlefinger etc. I can understand a little fan service and of course they will want to appeal to the same audience but it would be nice to see some genuinely unexpected twists.

The Firestarter

The initial setup is pretty simplistic, I hope its not intentionally dumbed down. Also, I didn't quite get the same vibe for the GoT world, perhaps it's the color scheme, the original seemed much darker even before winter came. Or maybe that's because of the locations shown so far.

)_(

Renewed
I would've expected them to at least wait and see what audience retention is for the next episode or two.

The initial setup is pretty simplistic, I hope its not intentionally dumbed down. Also, I didn't quite get the same vibe for the GoT world, perhaps it's the color scheme, the original seemed much darker even before winter came. Or maybe that's because of the locations shown so far.
Depends on what part you find simplistic. GoT used specific colour filter to indicate where you were located in the world, they aren't doing that here. This is supposed to be a time of greater opulence because there's been 60 years of peace.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would've expected them to at least wait and see what audience retention is for the next episode or two.

Depends on what part you find simplistic. GoT used specific colour filter to indicate where you were located in the world, they aren't doing that here. This is supposed to be a time of greater opulence because there's been 60 years of peace.
GOT is the biggest thing on television. There was simply no doubt a 2nd series would happen.

Abraxas

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It's going to be hard to match early Game of Thrones. May as well be prepared for disappointment if that's the expectation as it's always hard to rekindle the same magic. As long as it's a good quality show that's enough for me.

)_(

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It's going to be hard to match early Game of Thrones. May as well be prepared for disappointment if that's the expectation as it's always hard to rekindle the same magic. As long as it's a good quality show that's enough for me.
Yea, you can't expect it to be GoT because GoT changed television even if the latter seasons went to shit. You're always gonna have some comparison but it's a lot to put on a successor show. I don't expect it to hit those heights purely because GoT's source material was just richer in the beginning, I don't think we'll get to Red Wedding heights but this should have plenty of murder and scheming and devastating moments.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Great start. Really enjoying this return to the world of Thrones. Hopefully, they can keep it up. From the source material it should be about 2-3 seasons.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The first episode was both boring and trying to shock for no narrative reason. Worse still it took itself far too seriously.

I'll watch the second episode but I'm very disappointed so far.