Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

atkar83

I'm pretty sure those scenes were shot in the day time and darkened later. I was fine with it for the Rhae-Mon scene, but why were there no torches at the ceremony? It looked daft and flat.

Other than that I really enjoyed that episode
Yeah, day for night doesn't usually work well. Mad Max Fury Road did it well enough (went with the art style), but most tv shows/movies make it look cheap.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought it was pretty good. A lot happened despite the episode’s slow start where everyone was just kind of staring at each other and not doing much.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Good stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Was really dark though and I couldn’t see a lot of those scenes. Also thought the sound was off at the start too

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Slow burner episode but by the third quarter I really sat up. Juicy :drool:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sorry my previous reply didnt come out the way intended, I wasnt trying to be a jerk. It was Laenor Valeryn who had shaved his white hair off and I think the "assassain"
The ‘assassin’ being his lover who was part of the plot to fake his death orchestrated by Daemon…at least I’m assuming that’s how it went. Some people thought they turned the tables on Rhaenyra and Daemon there but that’s not how I read it.

The dark scenes had me checking my TV to see if it went into auto-dimming mode, but it was a cool vibe. Like a night under a full moon.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Sorry my previous reply didnt come out the way intended, I wasnt trying to be a jerk. It was Laenor Valeryn who had shaved his white hair off and I think the "assassain"
No worries, that’s more on me for not paying enough close attention and automatically assuming it’s two new characters! :lol:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I had to check the brightness on my tablet. You'd think I'd watch it on TV but I never do.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bit boring this last episode. Nothing happened for half of it. I usually like slow episodes, but this just didn't grab me.

They should've killed off Criston, he's an annoying twat.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
This series is doing nothing to change my opinion that GoT went to shit the day they decided to stop taking their time to tell the story.
Stop taking their time? It lasted eight fecking years. It's the longest HBO drama ever and one of the longest 'prestige' shows ever. For a show about a bunch of people riding dragons and fighting ice monsters. It did not need more time, it needed the common sense to not have a lead character that spends six goddamn seasons in another continent.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Bit boring this last episode. Nothing happened for half of it. I usually like slow episodes, but this just didn't grab me.

Thought it was anything but slow. The opening bit set the tone well and it was very tense. Great episode of tv.

Olivia Cooke has been good but the new Rhaenerya is crap. Bring back Milly!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

What are you expecting a bit revelation every scene?

Quite a bit happened in that episode :lol:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The ‘assassin’ being his lover who was part of the plot to fake his death orchestrated by Daemon…at least I’m assuming that’s how it went. Some people thought they turned the tables on Rhaenyra and Daemon there but that’s not how I read it.

The dark scenes had me checking my TV to see if it went into auto-dimming mode, but it was a cool vibe. Like a night under a full moon.
That beach scene needed to be a little brighter. ;)

Faetheshire86

I was shocked to find out some people thought that that wasn't the plan all along. Daemon specifically says "a death" and then you see him kill the body double before the encounter. Rhaenyra also talks about their enemies "believing" they were capable of that.

I thought it would have been better if they didn't reveal the switch and left it up to the viewer to wonder what happened.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good episode, although a bit dark at the start (had to keep checking TV didn't dim & HDR was on). The tension between the characters throughout the episode was really well done.

Poor Viserys is losing everything except his life at this point. Criston's still a cnut.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The first part of the story is simply set dressing for what eventually happens.
Had they jumped straight into that people would have complained they had no investment in the characters.
They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.
If they are damned if they do and damned if they don't then that suggests there is a flaw at the core of the story.

Game of Thrones does not begin with set dressing nor is it a prologue, or anything of the sort. It simply presents you with a bunch of characters who already have decades of history between them. It tells you a story in the present, one of political intrigue that begins with a death and an assassination attempt, and it uses this present story to reveal the past of the characters. It is this past that ultimately informs everything that happens in the present. It works extremely well: nobody's really going to argue that you're not invested in GoT characters by the end of the season. The skill and artistry of the first book and season is the interweaving of all these elements into a singular whole, the telling of a 'brief' story that has the weight of all this history behind it.

Unfortunately GRRM has moved away from this. Instead we have this less interesting, mechanical form of story where it is just a sequence of events, A is followed by B, B is followed by C, C is followed by D, and so forth.

Robertd0803

Brilliant episode. The
fight between the kids and fall out afterwards in the Hall
had me holding my breath until it was over. And thats even knowing it was coming. The ability of the show to create dramatic tension has been really impressive.

Probably the strongest episode so far.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The Queen is a right bitch isn't she. Wanting to literally gouge out a kids eyeball. Grim. She's nuts.

Keeping my eye on her.
I was trying to figure out what made her do nasty. I think it's a combination of what her father said about Rhaenyra killing her kids off and maybe she has feelings for Cole. She's just bitter and Cole is even more bitter. He's a typical case of the fox and the grapes.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you can attack and cut future queen and nothing happens? THAT is bad writting. All guards doing what? Just standing while future ruler is attacked? Stick to the bloody book. Book is great and covers all story, ffs.

Except that, (another) good episode. Go blacks

nimic

something nice
Scout
Spectacular episode, as good as any in GoT. And there is a lot less to work with here than on Game of Thrones, which only goes to show what frauds D&D were. As soon as they couldn't rely on GRRM, it went to shit.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I was trying to figure out what made her do nasty. I think it's a combination of what her father said about Rhaenyra killing her kids off and maybe she has feelings for Cole. She's just bitter and Cole is even more bitter. He's a typical case of the fox and the grapes.
It's more that she has built up years and years of resentment towards Rhaenyra because from her perspective Rhaenyra has always just done whatever she wants whereas Alicent has been a dutiful daughter and then wife despite how she may have felt about it. I don't think she has any feelings towards Cole whatsoever.

If you think about it, Alicent was forced to marry her best friend's old gross dad but never complained. Meanwhile Rhaenyra literally had her pick of any suitor in the realm, decided that wasn't enough for her, banged her kingsguard protector (and as if banging in her position isn't bad enough, she chose one of a very very small handful of people she actually shouldn't bang), and now has apparently continued to do so by having 3 bastard children. I'd be bitter too, and I'd also have a spectacularly low opinion of the judgement of Rhaenyra. Heck, even during tonight's episode she was off banging her uncle instead of paying attention to her children and her family.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The most irritating character in Got and HoD;
Alicent, Sansa, Joffrey or Ramsey? I can't decide

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'm not sure that's true. The Kingsguard are there to protect the Queen just as much as they are there to protect the princess.
I think that future ruler comes first. King's or queen's partner is ......just there. To look nice.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think that future ruler comes first. King's or queen's partner is ......just there. To look nice.
More than anything it's an indictment of Viserys. The KG have been taking their orders from Alicent for a while now given his condition so it makes sense that they'll be deferential to her.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Yeah I think you are right with this, I dont think Rhaenyra would have killed him given their previous conversation which had hints of some level of affection.