Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The most irritating character in Got and HoD;
Alicent, Sansa, Joffrey or Ramsey? I can't decide
The oldest blonde kid (Aegon?) is trying to put himself in the running.

I actually kind of like the two younger siblings’ characters, even though one is now on a power trip and the other weird.

3KDré

Olivia Cooke making me question my vows … might just have to join Team Green
I like the moral greyness of both Rhaneyra and Alicent. In some way, you can kind of see where Alicent is coming from in that Rhaenyra is clearly taking the piss out of the tradition etc, but at the same time Alicent is only in her position in the first place because her father wants the Iron Throne.

I think Daemon is probably my favourite character so far. He doesn't hide what he wants or his nature.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That fecking kid (Aemond?) who rode the dragon and caused the fight should be up there. ‘Your mother won’t need it anymore’. What a Cnut.

I actually kind of like the two younger siblings’ characters, even though one is now on a power trip and the other weird.
Oh yes, both of them are annoying. Older is just weird but Aemond is evil feck

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Great episode, really enjoyed it.

The dragon scene, with the Targaryen theme playing, was fantastic. They've really captured that ancient dragon look to Vhagar. I would've liked if it just kept 360s in the air to shake the little shit off though.

Google searches for the word "calumnies" must have skyrocketed after that episode. I know I googled it. Considine is brilliant.

I hope the oddball sister puts her two shithead brothers in their place.

Ser Criston the **** is a cnut.

Rhaenyra and Alicent are both horrible. There is some greyness to them, yes, but one gives the okay to kill her newly devoted "husband"/friend and the other tries to gouge a child's eye out.

edcunited1878

Completely missed Viserys said ‘I’m going to bed Aemma’ to Alicent :lol:
I was waiting for him to collapse again during that entire scene...he's trying his hardest to keep his family somewhat together and maintain peace in the realm, but not looking good.

edcunited1878

So majority of people really enjoyed last night's episode and then there's the usual one or two strays.

Also....
there looks to be another large time jump coming up as soon as next week, in addition to new actors playing the kids

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

The dragon scene, with the Targaryen theme playing, was fantastic. They've really captured that ancient dragon look to Vhagar. I would've liked if it just kept 360s in the air to shake the little shit off though.

Google searches for the word "calumnies" must have skyrocketed after that episode. I know I googled it. Considine is brilliant.

Rhaenyra and Alicent are both horrible. There is some greyness to them, yes, but one gives the okay to kill her newly devoted "husband"/friend and the other tries to gouge a child's eye out.
It should be "kill" since neither of those two died. It was a ruse.

Alicent losing it was awesome. I really like her.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

She was being kind to her husband to help fake his death and allow him to disappear

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Anyone clock what the little blonde sister said last episode while playing with the bugs? It was deffo something about an eye. She's got some soothsaying going on for sure, need to pay more attention .

That was great TV, though I echo everyone else in barely being able to see any of it.

TheGame

Anyone clock what the little blonde sister said last episode while playing with the bugs? It was deffo something about an eye. She's got some soothsaying going on for sure, need to pay more attention .

That was great TV, though I echo everyone else in barely being able to see any of it.
Ah yes, good shout. Forgot what she said now but will pay attention next time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

I think the producer went smart arse about the night started to fall on the HOD and crap like that

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Good episode, although a bit dark at the start (had to keep checking TV didn't dim & HDR was on). The tension between the characters throughout the episode was really well done.

Poor Viserys is losing everything except his life at this point. Criston's still a cnut.
Viserys has to be the most cowardly character in GOT/HOD so far. He seems to be paralysed by his decision to have his wife cut open to have his possible male heir and now can not make any hard decision at all.

b82REZ

If they are damned if they do and damned if they don't then that suggests there is a flaw at the core of the story.

Game of Thrones does not begin with set dressing nor is it a prologue, or anything of the sort. It simply presents you with a bunch of characters who already have decades of history between them. It tells you a story in the present, one of political intrigue that begins with a death and an assassination attempt, and it uses this present story to reveal the past of the characters. It is this past that ultimately informs everything that happens in the present. It works extremely well: nobody's really going to argue that you're not invested in GoT characters by the end of the season. The skill and artistry of the first book and season is the interweaving of all these elements into a singular whole, the telling of a 'brief' story that has the weight of all this history behind it.

Unfortunately GRRM has moved away from this. Instead we have this less interesting, mechanical form of story where it is just a sequence of events, A is followed by B, B is followed by C, C is followed by D, and so forth.
This isn't GoT though and that's where your complaints seem to be coming from.

This is its own show set in the same universe.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Not really though right?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
This isn't GoT though and that's where your complaints seem to be coming from.
This is its own show set in the same universe.
I am simply complaining about the narrative structure by using an example of something better written.

But to be honest it's kind of funny to defend this show by saying "it's not GoT it's its own thing" when they didn't even bother to change the theme song. It is very self-consciously bringing back the recognizable things about GoT. HBO even cancelled the production of a "not so GoT" spinoff so they could do something much more obviously recognizable.

Glorio

Yeah not feeling "grown-up" Rhaenyra at all, very little presence in comparison
Very different situation though. Young Rhaenyra could be playful, petulant, angry, defiant, and full of the mischief of youth. Grown up Rhaenyra is struggling and desperate - and it shows. Weirdly she's operating from a weaker position from where her younger self was even though she's closer to power considering the king's state. Perfectly fine with her - I think the actress is playing the role brilliantly myself

Glorio

It's more that she has built up years and years of resentment towards Rhaenyra because from her perspective Rhaenyra has always just done whatever she wants whereas Alicent has been a dutiful daughter and then wife despite how she may have felt about it. I don't think she has any feelings towards Cole whatsoever.

If you think about it, Alicent was forced to marry her best friend's old gross dad but never complained. Meanwhile Rhaenyra literally had her pick of any suitor in the realm, decided that wasn't enough for her, banged her kingsguard protector (and as if banging in her position isn't bad enough, she chose one of a very very small handful of people she actually shouldn't bang), and now has apparently continued to do so by having 3 bastard children. I'd be bitter too, and I'd also have a spectacularly low opinion of the judgement of Rhaenyra. Heck, even during tonight's episode she was off banging her uncle instead of paying attention to her children and her family.
That felt like strategy rather than pleasure though. She needs some blonde haired children stat, and I suppose she had to give Daemon incentive to marry her

Himannv

The most irritating character in Got and HoD;
Alicent, Sansa, Joffrey or Ramsey? I can't decide
I think you're sort of meant to hate Joffrey and Ramsey anyway so I think the actors did a good job with that. Alicent and Sansa are also meant to have character flaws, but you could argue that the version of Sansa in the later seasons of GoT lacked the sass that Alayne had in the books. On the whole, Dany and Jon had more annoying traits than the others mentioned in my view (probably because they were not really meant to be that way and are more prominent characters than the others listed).

Fully Fledged

He's too emo for me. Like a character out of that vampire movie with the glitter( I looked it up. It was Twilight).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What pisses Me off regarding the show is that the show producers have clearly picked a side. That goes against what the dance is all about.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What pisses Me off regarding the show is that the show producers have clearly picked a side. That goes against what the dance is all about.
How? it's clearly Rhaeydra v Alicent and I can't say there's a favourite right now. They're both making moves.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So they've backed the losers? Cheers book reader.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Adult Rhaenyra isn't as good an actress as the earlier one.

Adult Alicent is decent though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How? it's clearly Rhaeydra v Alicent and I can't say there's a favourite right now. They're both making moves.
So they've backed the losers? Cheers book reader.
They have a clear bias towards Rhaenyra who is being portrayed as this progressive saint as opposed to Alicent the social climber. The reality is that there neither greens nor blacks are bad people. This TRAGEDY is created by an idiotic king whose clear bias towards his first born daughter as opposed to his sons forced him to create an alternative rule book to the one created by the wise king and which was voted in by all Lords in Westeros. That created a mess as whoever sits on the IT will always have to watch his back against 'the alternative' option, making effective ruling near impossible. King Viserys kept messing up again and again by having Rhaenyra marry Laenor who was clearly gay, by him marrying Alicent thus creating an alternative branch and by forcing Rhaenyra to marry Laenor when the best viable option would have been Aegon.

I call it a tragedy because neither Rhaenyra nor Alicent are bad people and would have been fantastic queens in normal circumstances.