Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
They have a clear bias towards Rhaenyra who is being portrayed as this progressive saint as opposed to Alicent the social climber. The reality is that there neither greens nor blacks are bad people. This TRAGEDY is created by an idiotic king whose clear bias towards his first born daughter as opposed to his sons forced him to create an alternative rule book to the one created by the wise king and which was voted in by all Lords in Westeros. That created a mess as whoever sits on the IT will always have to watch his back against 'the alternative' option, making effective ruling near impossible. King Viserys kept messing up again and again by having Rhaenyra marry Laenor who was clearly gay, by him marrying Alicent thus creating an alternative branch and by forcing Rhaenyra to marry Laenor when the best viable option would have been Aegon.

I call it a tragedy because neither Rhaenyra nor Alicent are bad people and would have been fantastic queens in normal circumstances.
I don't care about the book but the show made a point of showing why Viserys does not want to do any harm to his daughter now. He took a long time for him to come to terms with killing his wife for a son. His own loss and guilt of also depriving his daughter of her mother is something he is unable to deal with. In a sense he is shown to be too "nice" to be a king. So clearly a wrong choice in some way.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
He's not a villain he's just an idiot. He's probably one of the only good guys in the show. Rhaenerya is no Saint, but alicent is definitely worse. This is based of everything we've seen. The worst she's done is be born a female, and have an innocent killed last episode. Alicent had rhaeneryas baby daddy killed along with the hand that got her father back involved. She hooked up with her best mates dad. She's turned her children against their sibling. Shes openly grooming her son for the throne in which there's already an heir. She literally went after a kid. I'm probably missing some. The biggest villain of the series is probably Otto hightower however, his moves have influenced everything
That's a lop sided view of things. Otto's motives have been no different to so many others people in power who have been trying to jockey for getting their offspring a shot at the throne. Essentially his version of plan was to have the king name the son his daughter bears to be the heir as everyone expected. In that case, it would have been the same exact plan Sea Snake king was planning. Once that was not done, I don't think it is too wayward to believe that any potential challengers to the throne would be targeted if and when Rhaenerya's reign's legitimacy is questioned. Even Cersie/Tywin had all of Robert's bastards targeted and Alicent's children carry that family name. So turning her children against their siblings is no doubt a dick move but potentially they are ones who will be without power if the succession goes accordingly to the plan. Overall she is turning full to the dark side but the show has done well to showcase the way she got there.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What's has rhaenerya done that is worse than the killing of harwin strong and the hand of the king (which she is ultimately fine with as we saw last ep)?
She and Daemon plotted to have some innocent fall guy murdered so that Laenor could fake his death and flee with Qarl to Pentos.

Alicent never asked or plotted the death of Harwin and Lyonel Strong in any way. That was all Larys. And she only is seen telling Larys that she will call on him after Rhaenyra and Daemon got wed (and after the murder of "Laenor") when the writing is clearly on the wall that she needs every ally she can get.

But I do like how people are now taking sides. Both sides have done questionable things and both Rhaenyra and Alicent have some understandable reasons for their actions so the show is doing a good job showing the grey areas here which is why I personally prefer Martin's world to the black-white, good-evil fantasy worlds.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
And yes can we keep any discussion of what happened in the books OUT of this thread.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
She and Daemon plotted to have some innocent fall guy murdered so that Laenor could fake his death and flee with Qarl to Pentos.

Alicent never asked or plotted the death of Harwin and Lyonel Strong in any way. That was all Larys.

And she only is seen telling Larys that she will call on him after Rhaenyra and Daemon got wed (and after the murder of "Laenor") when the writing is clearly on the wall that she needs every ally she can get.
She and Daemon did do that, yes. I personally don't think it's the worse than the stuff alicent has pulled mind, but yes that's an awful thing to do.

She did not ask, she did not plot. But she found out and did nothing, said nothing, and is evidently happy for larys to do her bidding so long as he shuts the feck up and says nothing.

Also going to your kids and telling them their nephews are bastards and your the true heir is pretty messed up.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
What book spoilers had I revealed exactly? Please be specific
Let's not. You haven't revealed any direct spoilers but let's just leave every comment regarding the books out of this thread even stuff like your vague references please and just refer to the show itself. There is a book thread where you can discuss that stuff.

She and Daemon did do that, yes. I personally don't think it's the worse than the stuff alicent has pulled mind, but yes that's an awful thing to do.

She did not ask, she did not plot. But she found out and did nothing, said nothing, and is evidently happy for larys to do her bidding so long as he shuts the feck up and says nothing.

Also going to your kids and telling them their nephews are bastards and your the true heir is pretty messed up.
I don't think Alicent not turning Larus in (when that act could very well just endanger her and her kids for no benefit) is worse than actively plotting the murder of an innocent so Rhaenyra can marry her uncle.

King Viserys is one lucky bastard. ;)

Thanks but your Alicent is still a bitch. :wenger:
:lol:
:(
I still like her the best!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Let's not. You haven't revealed any direct spoilers but let's just leave every comment regarding the books out of this thread even stuff like your vague references please and just refer to the show itself. There is a book thread where you can discuss that stuff.

I don't think Alicent not turning Larus in (when that act could very well just endanger her and her kids for no benefit) is worse than actively plotting the murder of an innocent so Rhaenyra can marry her uncle.

:lol:
:(
I still like her the best!
I only said that the show seems too pro Rhaenyra for my taste as opposed to GRRM's who seemed to take a more neutral stance. That's all.

roseguy64

Anyone clock what the little blonde sister said last episode while playing with the bugs? It was deffo something about an eye. She's got some soothsaying going on for sure, need to pay more attention .

That was great TV, though I echo everyone else in barely being able to see any of it.
It's even worse trying to edit a screen capture video about it. Have to be using memory/dialogue and then editing the video to brighten up a bit.

Ibi Dreams

Wasn't there a thing that you need to be of Valyrian descent?
I think even more so than that you have to be from a dragon lord family, and the Targaryens are the only dragon lords left. Laenor and Laena had dragons because of their Targaryen blood rather than because they're Valyrian

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I only said that the show seems too pro Rhaenyra for my taste
The quoted part is where I think you should stop because if any that read the books happen to disagree with the other part, then that leads to another post on the books and so on. Better to just leave it at the first part and just not comment on the books in here.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Anyone clock what the little blonde sister said last episode while playing with the bugs? It was deffo something about an eye. She's got some soothsaying going on for sure, need to pay more attention .

That was great TV, though I echo everyone else in barely being able to see any of it.
Not sure what she said last episode but in Episode 6 she said something about losing an eye when Aemond was complaining to Alicent about not having a dragon.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The striked part is where I think you should stop because if any that read the books happen to disagree with your striked part, then that leads to another post on the books and so on. Better to just leave it at the part before the strikes and just not comment on the books in here.
To be fair, it’s been a while since they posted specific book details.

But I agree in that this type of conversation generally isn’t productive.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Heir of the throne》king's wife
So far from what we've seen the active queen has more power (she did order Rhaenyra around). You probably wouldn't want to mess with an heir to the throne in general, especially with the king being in such poor health, but the Queen doesn't seem to care much as she's fecked if he dies either way (unless she manages to replace Raenyra as heir before king's death).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't there a thing that you need to be of Valyrian descent?
Yes - dragons are selective with who they allow to ride them. There are myriad examples of things going very badly for non-Valyrians who approach dragons.

A good example of this being one fairly prominent character from the 5th book

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
In what way have they shown her bias? She literally just had some poor random bloke killed so she can shag her uncle.
Oh feck I forgot about him. I was thinking how nice she was for letting her hubby fake his one death

But never spared a thought for the poor lad who they threw into the fire

TheGodsInRed

I only said that the show seems too pro Rhaenyra for my taste as opposed to GRRM's who seemed to take a more neutral stance. That's all.
You realise it's not a documentary. It's a fictional show and they can direct it however they like.

I was upset that they portraid Daenerys as a murderer in GOT, but she did kinda burn a lot of people.

mu4c_20le

What I came here for... Wtf was going on there?
You need to watch the whole scene between Daemon and Rhaenyra again, they literally describe what they needed to do. And also the scene where Daemon pays the knight and asks him to "take a life... with witneses".

FriedClams

It’s funny to think that those who didn’t understand what was going on, just think Daemon killed a guy for absolutely no reason. Like it should have been a deleted scene.

The Firestarter

It’s funny to think that those who didn’t understand what was going on, just think Daemon killed a guy for absolutely no reason. Like it should have been a deleted scene.
Some shows are not that forgiving when you half watch/ half look at your phone.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I guess they think Damo killed him to let an assassin in? I don’t know.

I missed that scene pouring a drink and still copped on to what was going on.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
:D

Interestingly, the HOTD subreddit seem to be having the same debate about who's worse.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They (all) pretended he was dead so she (Rhaenyra) could remarry, and they (the husband and his lover) could go live together over the narrow seas.
You need to watch the whole scene between Daemon and Rhaenyra again, they literally describe what they needed to do. And also the scene where Daemon pays the knight and asks him to "take a life... with witneses".
Cheers, tbf I was pretty high...

Sylar

That Episode was great. It built up so well and the part with the kids and the aftermath was tense and portrayed really good

Enjoying this a lot. I really do enjoy that there's no obvious good guy (except maybe the king who just wants everyone to get along)
He wants to keep the peace and can't blame him for that

With the marriage on one side and the other adding a dragon, it's getting really good

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Gotta love some tough men in saying Vyseris is weak.

How's the supposed to do? Kill his brother and his own flesh and blood to secure his daughter's reign? or kill his daughter to let his son reign?
He's a tragic figure, for sure. The only time he actually made a tough decision on the spot, he lost a wife and a child, and his daughter lost her mother. This alone can destroy any person. But Viserys also brought this upon himself. He saw the cheese, but not the trap in Otto's scheme. He didn't have to remarry, he could have kept Rhaenyra close to him and groom her for the role by allowing the people of Westeros to get used to her as their future queen. "Remarry to strengthen the Targaryen line", the council said. He tried to play all the angles, and now, if he chooses to follow tradition, he'll basically hand the Hightowers a clean victory over pure Targaryen blood (Rhaenyra after his decision to make her his heir). Which would make the Hightowers not just the second House in Westeros, but also bring them as close to the Targaryens as they can get. The problem is that Rhaenyra's sons aren't pure Targaryen blood. The scenes with the dragons, knowing their significance in Westeros and their connection to the Targaryen family, and which child can ride one and which can't are very important for the bigger picture. Viserys wasn't weak in the last episode. Alicent had every right to be mad, but, in the context of this power struggle, she was also pushing for a clear advantage. Something that Viserys couldn't give her. Nevertheless, Otto was happy for obvious reasons.