Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's talking about the prophecy of a song of ice and fire, he thought he was talking to his daughter (due to the drugs he's on) but it was Alicent. I think Alicent and his daughter both have sons with the same name.
Thanks for explaining

Ibi Dreams

Yeah it's not a war based on a misunderstanding. We've already been watching it brewing for what, 16 years? It was always going to happen when Viserys died anyway

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Let's be honest, it would have kicked off anyway. The misunderstanding is just the straw that broke the camels back.
I would preferred if the king had shared the prophecy in a lucid state, and the queen had either misinterpreted it or used it as an excuse.

I mean, usually watching something likethis you can say, “Ah they were greedy” and we see that’s the catalyst for their downfall.

What are we supposed to take from this? Ignore dying words? She even tried to get clarity by asking questions.

Are we supposed to believe Alicent was really ready to make up with Rheanyra? If not, war was likely inevitable anyway and so this bizarre plot device would be unnecessary.

In GOT pretty much every turn of events had a parallel in reality, magic aside. When has history turned on the misunderstanding of dying words?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yeah it's not a war based on a misunderstanding. We've already been watching it brewing for what, 16 years? It was always going to happen when Viserys died anyway
All the more reason not to add this misunderstanding, it’s not needed.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I would preferred if the king had shared the prophecy in a lucid state, and the queen had either misinterpreted it or used it as an excuse.

I mean, usually watching something likethis you can say, “Ah they were greedy” and we see that’s the catalyst for their downfall.

What are we supposed to take from this? Ignore dying words? She even tried to get clarity by asking questions.

Are we supposed to believe Alicent was really ready to make up with Rheanyra? If not, war was likely inevitable anyway and so this bizarre plot device would be unnecessary.

In GOT pretty much every turn of events had a parallel in reality, magic aside. When has history turned on the misunderstanding of dying words?
I don't think that was intended to be a plot device for the coming war. The war is inevitable and happening anyway. Its more a device to connect this series to GoT for the non-book readers, at least how I understood it.

SuperiorXI

All the more reason not to add this misunderstanding, it’s not needed.
Alicent is driven quite a lot by honour and traditions, her misunderstanding will only add to her will to fight. Her sons and family are already wanting to fight. It's just another potent ingredient added to the cauldron.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can anyone explain the I want aegon king nonsense? I couldn't understand what the dunce was saying
He's talking about Aegon the conqueror's dream. That someone from his blood bearing his name ( Aegon) will be the Prince that was promised. We the audience know he's talking about Jon Snow ( real name Aegon of House Targaryen) but Alicent misinterprets this as him saying that their son named Aegon is the Prince that was promised. So she will push for him to be king thinking this what Viserys wanted.

Viserys ( in his drug addled state)thought he was continuing his earlier conversation with Rhaenyra, telling her how she must rule to keep the realm united until this Aegon shows up to face the threat from the north ( which we know is a reference to the White Walkers).

Fully Fledged

Alicent is driven quite a lot by honour and traditions, her misunderstanding will only add to her will to fight. Her sons and family are already wanting to fight. It's just another potent ingredient added to the cauldron.
She told a girl that had been raped by her son that if she told anybody she would be tried for treason. Then made her take poison to stop any chance that she was pregnant.

RedDevilRoshi

Decent epsisode. The heir to Driftmark scene was good.

The actor that plays Viserys is excellent - superb performance.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah Milly looks like she's 14. I don't even think make-up and Deep Fake would have looked right with her playing adult Rhaenyra.
Milly was 14 in the first episode, or rather her character was. People talk about them doubling in age, but those characters have actually doubled in age. And yeah, her playing adult Rhaenyra would have been crazy, IMO.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Milly was 14 in the first episode, or rather her character was. People talk about them doubling in age, but those characters have actually doubled in age. And yeah, her playing adult Rhaenyra would have been crazy, IMO.
Agree that a recast was required otherwise creepiness would have been off the charts. But I do believe like others that the adult actress playing her seems off compared to what we saw earlier. She comes across as too meekish and does not seem to command the screen as required for a central character. At this early stage at least, seems like a miscast.

Fully Fledged

He looked different, but it was immediately clear who it was, and not only because of the patch. This is definitely another case of them hiring actors who have similar features. It was harder to see the young Aegon in the older one.
I thought he looked more like his uncle.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He looked different, but it was immediately clear who it was, and not only because of the patch. This is definitely another case of them hiring actors who have similar features. It was harder to see the young Aegon in the older one.
I don’t mind the older children looking different, as long as the adult one we’re stuck with is good. Aemond is a certified badass; he might make me switch teams by himself.
I thought he looked more like his uncle.
Maybe that’s intentional, they act similarly and their names are even the same except the position of the D (though that is likely a coincidence as all these damn names look similar sometimes). Not that I’m implying anything about the parentage, just their character.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah, I think people underestimate how much time really good make-up jobs take to age actors, it can be 4 hours or more a day to achieve a good effect and Deep Fake currently seems better at de-aging actors when they have reference material from the actor at a younger age than aging actors.

Fully Fledged

I don’t mind the older children looking different, as long as the adult one we’re stuck with is good. Aemond is a certified badass; he might make me switch teams by himself.

Maybe that’s intentional, they act similarly and their names are even the same except the position of the D (though that is likely a coincidence as all these damn names look similar sometimes). Not that I’m implying anything about the parentage, just their character.
They were playing that up for sure. The younger kid also kinda looked like him, though.
It's not unusual for nephews to look like their uncles. My eldest nephew looks a lot like me but then so does his father.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Another episode another fecked up thing by Alicent. Paying off the girl your son raped and forcing abortion juice down her throat, but driven by honor? Give over.

Fully Fledged

The actress was 21 though so even when it was 14 years later Milly was the same distance from her character age as she is from the age of the character now.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The actress was 21 though so even when it was 14 years later Milly was the same distance from her character age as she is from the age of the character now.
True, though I'm pretty sure they cast Milly after the older one, and partly because she looked like her. Probably also because she does look quite young, so they could avoid having more than two different actresses for the character despite the big time jumps.

Fully Fledged

True, though I'm pretty sure they cast Milly after the older one, and partly because she looked like her. Probably also because she does look quite young, so they could avoid having more than two different actresses for the character despite the big time jumps.
I don't have a problem with the new actress I was just enjoying the role played by Milly. It's not a massive negative. At least over the last 2 episodes they seemed to be self contained so having a time just doesn't leave massive threads unclosed.

Kag

That latest episode was outstanding television.

It’s good, this. It’s let down by some of the casting, though. Some characters (Daemon and Cole) have barely aged a day, and the older Aegon looked smaller and arguably younger than the one portrayed years earlier. It’s a shame.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I mean yeah, but what's she going to do? Put her son, the son of the king, on trial for raping a commoner? It doesn't really work.
Don't know, but what she did certainly wasn't the right thing was it?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Paddy Considine was great there.

So he’s mistakenly thought he’s carrying on his conversation with Rhaenyra right? And he’s talking about her Aegon and not Alicent’s Aegon? I was literally talking in the episode about how it’s confusing that there’s two Aegons. Also so many Joffreys.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

So he’s mistakenly thought he’s carrying on his conversation with Rhaenyra right? And he’s talking about her Aegon and not Alicent’s Aegon? I was literally talking in the episode about how it’s confusing that there’s two Aegons. Also so many Joffreys.
GRRM clearly ran out of names.

It's bloody confusing, I agree.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

I actually think he was talking about Aegon the conqueror, not either of the kids. I might be wrong, but I thought he was referring to Aegon's dream about the song of Ice and fire, which is the secret he told Rhaenyra about earlier in the season.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
  • So are the two older sons of Rhaenyra now matched up to be married with their cousins (Daemon's daughters)?
  • What's going on with the oldest son and the bug collecting daughter of Alicent? Seems strange that right after he is betrothed to his cousin he starts dancing with her.
  • Is eyepatch now supposed to be the biggest badass in the court? Or did Cole just let him win there?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

I actually think he was talking about Aegon the conqueror, not either of the kids. I might be wrong, but I thought he was referring to Aegon's dream about the song of Ice and fire, which is the secret he told Rhaenyra about earlier in the season.
Yup this post does the best job of explaining
He's talking about Aegon the conqueror's dream. That someone from his blood bearing his name ( Aegon) will be the Prince that was promised. We the audience know he's talking about Jon Snow ( real name Aegon of House Targaryen) but Alicent misinterprets this as him saying that their son named Aegon is the Prince that was promised. So she will push for him to be king thinking this what Viserys wanted.

Viserys ( in his drug addled state)thought he was continuing his earlier conversation with Rhaenyra, telling her how she must rule to keep the realm united until this Aegon shows up to face the threat from the north ( which we know is a reference to the White Walkers).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
  • So are the two older sons of Rhaenyra now matched up to be married with their cousins (Daemon's daughters)?
  • What's going on with the oldest son and the bug collecting daughter of Alicent? Seems strange that right after he is betrothed to his cousin he starts dancing with her.
  • Is eyepatch now supposed to be the biggest badass in the court? Or did Cole just let him win there?
  • Yep
  • Power move in retaliation for Aegon hitting on his betrothed?
  • Certified Badass. It seems they’ve been implying he’s more ‘dragon’ than his older brother kind of sort of like Daemon vis a vis Viserys, like with him stealing the biggest dragon around last time

Spark

I thought he was talking about the Prince that was Promised being called Aegon (aka Jon Snow). And then there are multiple Aegons knocking about and Alicent assumes that her Aegon is said promised prince. All the while the king thinks he's talking to his daughter.

Might be totally wrong, dog was being a bellend so kinda half listened. Will watch again later.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes exactly - he has never told Alicent about the prophecy prior to this as it's meant to be passed to the heir and the heir alone. It's very understandable that she wouldn't understand he's referring to his long-dead ancestor and instead assume he's talking about their son together.

Fully Fledged

I agree.