Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

The Firestarter

Did you watch it on TV, as in HBO on TV, or HBO Max? Because the lighting thing is a streaming platform thing, I'm pretty sure.

What you're seeing on Twitter or YouTube is almost always worse than the streaming sites too, particularly Twitter.
Watched it on the hbo max, no issue with hdr enabled. I think what happens on YouTube is that the rips from hbo max compress the dynamic range. Or, even if its uploaded with hdr video if the device that plays the youtube video is not hdr capable it will look worse than if it was recorded originally without hdr.

Sylar

Did you watch it on TV, as in HBO on TV, or HBO Max? Because the lighting thing is a streaming platform thing, I'm pretty sure.

What you're seeing on Twitter or YouTube is almost always worse than the streaming sites too, particularly Twitter.
Sky Atlantic. So TV so probably makes sense

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

They bumped up the quality of streaming GoT last month (and it looks great), so shouldn’t the new show get favorable treatment as well? HBO Max has been iffy in that regard in the past but they made a point to show that they would be streaming GoT content at the highest quality possible for them.

I think it’s a Sapochnik thing, where he wants these dark scenes done in a way that in a sub-optimal viewing environment may appear too dark. He also did the previous episode from GoT S8 that famously had everyone complaining about being too dark as well.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They bumped up the quality of streaming GoT last month (and it looks great), so shouldn’t the new show get favorable treatment as well? HBO Max has been iffy in that regard in the past but they made a point to show that they would be streaming GoT content at the highest quality possible for them.

I think it’s a Sapochnik thing, where he wants these dark scenes done in a way that in a sub-optimal viewing environment may appear too dark. He also did the previous episode from GoT S8 that famously had everyone complaining about being too dark as well.
Yeah, very possibly. It's like Nolan and Tenet, which had sound issues in a lot of theatres, and definitely in home viewing.

Sylar

I do think if you have to play around with TV settings for just one episode, then thats more an issue with the episode than those watching

If that makes sense

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's a tragic figure, for sure. The only time he actually made a tough decision on the spot, he lost a wife and a child, and his daughter lost her mother. This alone can destroy any person. But Viserys also brought this upon himself. He saw the cheese, but not the trap in Otto's scheme. He didn't have to remarry, he could have kept Rhaenyra close to him and groom her for the role by allowing the people of Westeros to get used to her as their future queen. "Remarry to strengthen the Targaryen line", the council said. He tried to play all the angles, and now, if he chooses to follow tradition, he'll basically hand the Hightowers a clean victory over pure Targaryen blood (Rhaenyra after his decision to make her his heir). Which would make the Hightowers not just the second House in Westeros, but also bring them as close to the Targaryens as they can get. The problem is that Rhaenyra's sons aren't pure Targaryen blood. The scenes with the dragons, knowing their significance in Westeros and their connection to the Targaryen family, and which child can ride one and which can't are very important for the bigger picture. Viserys wasn't weak in the last episode. Alicent had every right to be mad, but, in the context of this power struggle, she was also pushing for a clear advantage. Something that Viserys couldn't give her. Nevertheless, Otto was happy for obvious reasons.
Marrying among houses are common. If it's not Hightower it'll be someone else. Even rhaneyra is whored out to potential suitor.

In ancient history kings do tend to make babies because they never know who's the right one, it's hardly a selfish matter. I think the King should he wished could have as many whores and entertainment his heart desires.

Deep inside he knew he fecked up, but that's what happens in the ancient time, Otto knew it, Rhaneira knew it, and now Alicent knew it, it comes with the title

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Marrying among houses are common. If it's not Hightower it'll be someone else. Even rhaneyra is whored out to potential suitor.

In ancient history kings do tend to make babies because they never know who's the right one, it's hardly a selfish matter. I think the King should he wished could have as many whores and entertainment his heart desires.

Deep inside he knew he fecked up, but that's what happens in the ancient time, Otto knew it, Rhaneira knew it, and now Alicent knew it, it comes with the title
It's not, though. It's a known fact that the Targaryens see keeping the bloodlines pure as a mark of superiority over the other Houses. They used to marry within the family before The Conquest, and Cersei mentioned that they were doing it for 300 years to keep their bloodline pure. As a practice, it was opposed vehemently by the Starry Sept at some point, but Jaehaerys (the model king according to Viserys and the rest) put it on paper and made it a Targaryen privilege.

Rhaenyra wasn't exactly whored.The Velaryons can be considered distant relatives. Nevertheless, Laenor is connected, through his grandmother (see the first episode) directly to the royal line. Furthermore, Viserys is pretty adamant about the last name of Rhaenyra's children. He's also hesitant to marry her to Daemon because he doesn't trust him. Daemon and Rhaenyra talked about how their union symbolizes what the Targaryens are all about.

Anyway, i don't know if we are allowed to talk about what has occurred before the timeline the show is following, so i won't go into detail. As I mentioned, Otto saw a window of opportunity and he played his hand well. Viserys believed that he could force his will, but he's not Jaehaerys. I also believe that it's made clear in the show that the other Houses are competing with each other over who's going to stand next to the Targaryens.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What I came here for... Wtf was going on there?
I'm glad people answered this before I could get back to the Caf. But yeah Daemon and Rhaenyra set it up and Laenor and his paramour executed it (and the poor unknown chap).

It was the opposite for me. Watching HBO on TV it was way too dark even with brightness at 100 whereas on a rewatch on my computer with HBO Max it was fine.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

I watched it on HBO as it aired and it looked fine. Slightly dark but nothing like the battle scene from GoT when you literally couldn’t see shite.

dinostar77

I swear since the time jump this show has become eastenders but with dragons. Quality is diminishing with each epsiode.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
That timejump was confusing as feck. Some actors stay the same, some look massively different, complete feck up. Was enjoying the show, but that threw me off a whole lot and was massively unnecessary.

On the whole I am enjoying it, skeptical it's going to lead somewhere fruitful in the end though.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That timejump was confusing as feck. Some actors stay the same, some look massively different, complete feck up. Was enjoying the show, but that threw me off a whole lot and was massively unnecessary.

On the whole I am enjoying it, skeptical it's going to lead somewhere fruitful in the end though.
Who looks massively different?

dinostar77

I think they have got this badly wrong. Each season should have been a specific time period. Better that way to build up the seasonal plots, character development and all that good stuff.

Also the actress who played the young princess was very good. Fiesty and determined. Her grown up version is nothing like her. Just a flat, dull, lifeless character.

Roosney

I swear since the time jump this show has become eastenders but with dragons. Quality is diminishing with each epsiode.
Agreed, it wasn't too great before it either. Every episode is the same harping over and over about heir and who should wear the crown blah blah blaah. I'm not looking for 100% action here but the dialogs should have a meaning and carry the plot.
In this series even the action scenes don't hold any weight. Like when Daemon killed his wife it was totally flat. It was a main character of a show killing his wife ffs. The writers could try at least.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's pretty clear that they are making these shows for people with high end systems. Watching in in Ultra HD on a big OLED TV in the dark in DolbyVision with surround sound is just amazing. The torches cutting through the gloom etc. But that's how creative people behave to be honest.

On a bad screen I can well imagine it's grim.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think they have got this badly wrong. Each season should have been a specific time period. Better that way to build up the seasonal plots, character development and all that good stuff.

Also the actress who played the young princess was very good. Fiesty and determined. Her grown up version is nothing like her. Just a flat, dull, lifeless character.
I hear what you're saying but there genuinely isn't sufficient material to stretch it out to that extent. Game of Thrones went awry when the creators had to deviate and chart their own path away from the books, and frankly I prefer the solution here that is a bit disjointed but ultimately a tighter narrative with less filler.

lsd

The Oracle
Who looks massively different?

The different actors? Weird how they kept Matt Smith looking the exact same with just a different haircut while Rhaenara and Alicent doubled in ages.

Alicent nearly looks older than her dad now

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I mean not that much really :lol:
Mmm…yeah, it really is.

As for the other queen the problem with Milly is that she has such a baby face that playing grown Rhaenyra would look off, unless some makeup could do heavy lifting (or maybe sagging) there.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Mmm…yeah, it really is.

As for the other queen the problem with Milly is that she has such a baby face that playing grown Rhaenyra would look off, unless some makeup could do heavy lifting (or maybe sagging) there.
Yeah Milly looks like she's 14. I don't even think make-up and Deep Fake would have looked right with her playing adult Rhaenyra.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Another good episode. I was worried it would be uneventful until the last quarter or so, but it worked in the end.

I just searched who was playing Aemond because I knew the face but couldn’t place it, and I fecking love it. Last Kingdom fans will know.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Another good episode. I was worried it would be uneventful until the last quarter or so, but it worked in the end.

I just searched who was playing Aemond because I knew the face but couldn’t place it, and I fecking love it. Last Kingdom fans will know.
Ah that’s where I recognised him from.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Sorry but Im out. There is 3 seasons worth of material in this season alone. It wasnt a bad episode but each time a character gets interesting there is a time jump and we start again. Add in the fact there are just too few characters that are even remotely interesting its been too poorly thought out for me. All the major characters since Milly Alcock left have become angsty whiney spineless dullards. I will check this forum to see if there is any big upswing in enthusiasm but this show isnt even a 1/10th the quality or interest GOT was. Its bored me shitless.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I get that some of the time jumps can be a bit jarring and disrupt the flow, but I don't think there's a way around it considering the story spans such a long time frame. Without the time jumps out would just be loads of filler and the series would end up running longer than the Simpsons.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. The group scenes in particular have been great.

Just a shame King Viseris doesn't wear a tie.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry but Im out. There is 3 seasons worth of material in this season alone. It wasnt a bad episode but each time a character gets interesting there is a time jump and we start again. Add in the fact there are just too few characters that are even remotely interesting its been too poorly thought out for me. All the major characters since Milly Alcock left have become angsty whiney spineless dullards. I will check this forum to see if there is any big upswing in enthusiasm but this show isnt even a 1/10th the quality or interest GOT was. Its bored me shitless.
I got half way through the episode after the first time jump and also tapped out. There’s a ton of good Tv out there and to stick with a long running series you need to get invested in the characters in the show. Which is always wrapped up in the actor that plays them. The idea that you could remain just as invested in characters you’ve got to know over several episodes when a different actor plays them is ridiculous.

Plus it’s boring.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mmm…yeah, it really is.

You’re saying they might have to rely on good acting and stage make-up to pull it off? What sorcery is this?!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Thought the ending was lame....hack writing. Good show but that was shite.
I agree if you're referring to the scene with the King and Queen. Let it be her idea to take over.

Rhaenyra being so different does really throw me off, she's dull and scared instead of feisty and brave, with no explanation.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Even with time jumps, it has remained quite good. Books were boring read but they have adapted it really well. And it’s getting better every episode.

Viserys actor should win Emmy. What a performance in last episode. Looking forward to how they handle Daemon and Aemond.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Even with time jumps, it has remained quite good. Books were boring read but they have adapted it really well. And it’s getting better every episode.

Viserys actor should win Emmy. What a performance in last episode. Looking forward to how they handle Daemon and Aemond.
In the next episode they will probably be 20 years older, yet Matt Smith still plays Daemon with no signs of ageing :lol: .

Agree with a lot of the comments in Paddy, he absolutely nailed this episode, probably the best episode for a character yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can anyone explain the I want aegon king nonsense? I couldn't understand what the dunce was saying

SuperiorXI

Can anyone explain the I want aegon king nonsense? I couldn't understand what the dunce was saying
He's talking about the prophecy of a song of ice and fire, he thought he was talking to his daughter (due to the drugs he's on) but it was Alicent. I think Alicent and his daughter both have sons with the same name.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He's talking about the prophecy of a song of ice and fire, he thought he was talking to his daughter (due to the drugs he's on) but it was Alicent. I think Alicent and his daughter both have sons with the same name.
Think he was talking to Aemma and says sorry for her death.