Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
House of the Dragon died with Dany, the mad bitch. Feck all interest in its origins or history.

Robert's Rebellion would've intrigued me, even knowing everything about it but not this.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Say what you want about how GoT ended but Miguel Sapochnik was responsible for some of the very best episodes of the show. Hardhome, Winds of Winter and Battle of the Bastards were his most notable episodes, ending aside he also did The Long Night which I thought had an argument as one of the best episodes in terms of spectacle. Him being a showrunner gives me a lot of hope.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Taking GRRM's Fire and Blood as basis, probably? Would be smart I guess, because there's an overarching plot, the history of the conquest of Westeros and the establishing of the Targaryen rule, with loads of story segments (basically the lives of the major Targaryen rulers, like Aegon I., Maegor, Jahaerys, etc.) and major conflicts and turning points already laid out. This would remove the big pitfall that the latter seasons of GoT suffered from, the question of the what and the why of things that have to happen in that show. They could simply go and flesh out the characters some more, to directly show us the things GRRM only impersonally tells us about in Fire and Blood (as in 'show don't tell').

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I thought this got scrapped?
Bloodmoon, the show set in Westeros about 4,000 years before the events of GoT, was scrapped. Apparently it was becoming too hard to film, HBO had requested several edits of the pilot, and there are rumours that non-white characters were written really cartoonishly. It had gone very, very quiet on the production side of things in the past few months and there were rumours of another prequel called "Empire of Ash" being made instead, so I guess this is the announcement quite a lot of people were anticipating. House of the Dragon will instead focus on events that took place 300 years before GoT - so the Targaryen dynasty, Aegon's conquest, all that. I'm not sure if it's officially an adaptation of Fire and Blood but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Simbo

Could be really good this if GRRM is involved enough to call out any bullshit the writers come up with. The dragon storyline does seem pretty uninteresting through after what we've recently watched.

Sylar

Production should be brilliant and I guess it will be fun. The thing is if expected, we know how it will go. I guess it will be fun watching it, but one thing GoT had was the theories along with it and guessing on how it ends whereas prequels wont.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Targaryen Conquest. GRRM producing. Sapochnik showrunning.

None of that gets rid of the fact that this is being written by the guy who wrote the film where The Rock tries to stop a giant Gorilla and lizard from destroying the city

And then the gorilla *removed because Dante really want to watch Rampage at some point* gives him a giant middle finger.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

None of that gets rid of the fact that this is being written by the guy who wrote the film where The Rock tries to stop a giant Gorilla and lizard from destroying the city, until gorilla sign language comes to the rescue.

And then the gorilla pretends to be dead so The Rock gets sad, but then he's all like "haha psych!" And gives me a giant middle finger.
Spoiler that shit.

Sylar

None of that gets rid of the fact that this is being written by the guy who wrote the film where The Rock tries to stop a giant Gorilla and lizard from destroying the city

And then the gorilla *removed because Dante really want to watch Rampage at some point* gives him a giant middle finger.
Didnt he also write Hercules? Another Rock movie.
So this will be a disappointment if the Rock is not one of the Dragons.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Didnt he also write Hercules? Another Rock movie.
So this will be a disappointment if the Rock is not one of the Dragons.
At this point I demand nothing less than Sean Connery.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Even if it's set hundreds of years beforehand?
Yeah, funnily enough. A journey can be nice to look at but if you already know you're heading to the glue factory it kind of dampens the mood a little bit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, funnily enough. A journey can be nice to look at but if you already know you're heading to the glue factory it kind of dampens the mood a little bit.
That's like saying you've got no interest in watching Chernobyl because you know what happens.

I think it could work if it was a self contained plot set hundreds of years before in the same universe, with no relation to the GOT plotline. Obviously no shit everyone dies because it's years ago but it could still be decent with good writers.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's like saying you've got no interest in watching Chernobyl because you know what happens.

I think it could work if it was a self contained plot set hundreds of years before in the same universe, with no relation to the GOT plotline. Obviously no shit everyone dies because it's years ago but it could still be decent with good writers.
I think it's more like if you went into Lord of the Rings knowing that Sauron turned out to be a gimp in a papier mache mask then, yes, it might put you off the series.

The ending of GoT left such a sour taste in people's mouths that trying to invest in something previously in the story arc will forever make people think about how it all ultimately ends. It won't necessarily put you off watching and investing in characters, but that's exactly what it needs to do. It needs to want you to care about what stories it has to tell rather than what it sets up for the future. If it does that then, great; it'll be awesome. Hopefully they do that instead of relying on the brand.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it's more like if you went into Lord of the Rings knowing that Sauron turned out to be a gimp in a papier mache mask then, yes, it might put you off the series.

The ending of GoT left such a sour taste in people's mouths that trying to invest in something previously in the story arc will forever make people think about how it all ultimately ends. It won't necessarily put you off watching and investing in characters, but that's exactly what it needs to do. It needs to want you to care about what stories it has to tell rather than what it sets up for the future. If it does that then, great; it'll be awesome. Hopefully they do that instead of relying on the brand.
it's set 300 years before GoT so I wouldn't worry about that.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

Craig Mazin, showrunner behind Chernobyl, wrote some of the worst crap in Hollywood. Look at the guys filmography.

And theres that guy who wrote and directed The Joker who was also responsible for some garbage.

GloryHunter07

Should be good, looking forward to it. Im a bit disappointed that Bloodmoon is cancelled as that wouldve been interesting.

starman

I've lost all interest in any prequels considering we know how it ends.
Yup, although, Blood Moon (now cancelled) could have given us more back story into the 3 eyed raven and the Night King's motives, something season 8 completely sidestepped

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yup, although, Blood Moon (now cancelled) could have given us more back story into the 3 eyed raven and the Night King's motives, something season 8 completely sidestepped
The end of Blood Moon; Jimbo McTaggart tells his wife (that he's just saved from the Fire Breathing Arse Dragon with Ten Arses) that he's off down the pub for a pint with these new treefolk he's just met. And when she tells him to be careful because they'll probably try and stab him with some dragonglass or something he turns back to her and says;

"Don't worry lassie." *pulls out Catspaw dagger* "if that happens then I'll just stab myself with this valyrian steel dagger because it'll turn me into an invisible ice dragon monster that is unstoppable and will devour the world after the last pure blooded Targaryen is killed by her nephew."

Then he jumps on his Harley Davidson and Ice, Ice Baby starts playing in the background.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Please no more three eyed raven nonsense. Shite storyline.

Give us fire, blood, tits and Ramin Djawadi and I might consider watching.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well we all know the Rock will be getting a cameo. On the plus side I didn't hate Colony, thought it was ok for what it was.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think they underestimate the damage done. People will watch, then quickly realise it's not GoT seasons 1-5 and more like 6-8 to attract.

D&D and those that support them and that final season really don't get why so many people were pissed with what happened to the story. There's not a strong desire for any more, when we already know it'll be made up flash nonsense.

Massive Spanner

I think they underestimate the damage done. People will watch, then quickly realise it's not GoT seasons 1-5 and more like 6-8 to attract.

D&D and those that support them and that final season really don't get why so many people were pissed with what happened to the story. There's not a strong desire for any more, when we already know it'll be made up flash nonsense.
I agree although S6 was way better than S5, just sayin'.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I agree although S6 was way better than S5, just sayin'.
True. I couldn't be arsed to separate them tbh.

The point is what matters, they have tv people now writing things like a guy who isn't even that great a writer and is too pressured and caught up in fame to even end the current storyline. It's not ending well.

Massive Spanner

True. I couldn't be arsed to separate them tbh.

The point is what matters, they have tv people now writing things like a guy who isn't even that great a writer and is too pressured and caught up in fame to even end the current storyline. It's not ending well.
Even if it's shit I still think most people will absolutely lap it up.