g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How bad have our injuries really been this season?

SER19

has there been any talk from the club, or respected sources, about the injuries? Look at today, arsenal have zero injuries or suspensions, despite a far more intense season.

Whether you think its a mitigating factor for ten hag or not, as a standalone issue it really is bordering on farcical/disgraceful. Our unavailable team today is comfortably stronger than the available one. Ranting and emotion aside, can somebody make any decent attempt to explain this and whether theres a way out of it

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
One thing I have heard on the grapevine is that Ten Hag has a “one size fits all” fitness policy. Where players are driven equally hard to be as fit as possible and run as much as possible during training sessions. That is as far as that information extends.

if it is true, then it would seem to be a pretty big reasons for why we are seeing so many injuries, especially in defence. While the foundation for fitness has to largely be the same, defenders naturally have to cover a lot less ground than other players, and if they are older, this is a huge shock to the body. Generally speaking, as I understand it, most clubs have the finer details of fitness work tailored to the individual age, position, injury predisposition, and current condition of players. But we don’t under Ten Hag.

I have also heard that some players have been getting conflicting advice from their personal trainers or external doctors/surgeons. Someone posted above how Casemiro was told he was fit to play but consulted his doctor back in Spain who told him he wasn’t. I hadn’t heard any specific examples like that, but it certainly backs up what I was told.

What seems very, very clear to me, is that we need a complete overhaul of our medical and fitness department to integrate “best in class” technology, data, and personnel, to create an industry leading fitness department that operates almost autonomously from the head coach and his staff. That way when you change the head coach and his back room team, you keep these best in class assets in place. Their approach can be tweaked in concert with the head coach, but ultimately having the fittest and healthiest squad possible, is a universal principle surely?

The training and playing loads players have these days, mean that a rigorous evidence based approach is required. I would not leave it to the discretion of each head coach. Not at all. Players are our most valuable assets and as such the club should have the absolute best facilities and personnel to manage those assets irrespective of whether the coach is Pep PED Guardiola, or Olé Gunnar do what he wants Solksjaer.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

CB partnerships this season:

Arsenal: 3
United: 14

That really is the alpha and omega of it all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
CB partnerships this season:

Arsenal: 3
United: 14

That really is the alpha and omega of it all.
The only context to that is Man. United are a long way from challenging for the league even if Varane-Martinez (I assume the first choice CBs) had stayed fit for more of this season.

As I've always said better comparison is with Newcastle. They must be in double figures for CB duos aswell given their injuries.

We haven't had as many. However we started the season with Konsa-Mings and then Mings did his ACL on opening day of the season. Over January-Feb we had Pau Torres and Konsa out at the same time for over a month and went with Diego Carlos-Lenglet in those games.

Brighton also had loads of defensive injuries in the winter period.

All these teams also had key long term injuries in other parts of the pitch. Harvey Barnes basically been Newcastle's Mason Mount this season for example.

SAF is the GOAT

Accusations from Rooney?

I don't agree with Wazza,

Forcing the players to play games when they aren't 100% fit to play, is exactly the reason why we end up in this horrible situation this season.

Just look at the number of times this season when we all thought Licha was fine to play, he got injured badly and was sidelined 3/4 of the season.

thisisnottaken1

It explains the defensive woes to a large degree. Not sure why our frontline has been so gash. Rashford in particular.
Rashford is probably because his contract was running out last season. He had the best season of his career last season, as he scored 30 goals and was our player of the season, but this season, having gotten his contract extension, he’s been shit.

90 + 5min

Accusations from Rooney?

This is something I have been thinking about. That some players could play through the pain. However, as long as doctors says no it is a no.

Wouldn't be surprised if half of them are back same week as TheFA Cup final

mu4c_20le

Nah just sounds like rooney talking bollocks. Only one questionable is rashford but he's always carrying knocks.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Forcing the players to play games when they aren't 100% fit to play, is exactly the reason why we end up in this horrible situation this season.

Just look at the number of times this season when we all thought Licha was fine to play, he got injured badly and was sidelined 3/4 of the season.
He's not saying we're forcing players to play. He said our players are feigning injuries because they're more interested in their pay check than fighting for the club. And he's correct.

arnie_ni

I don't think that's what he said. Is he not saying they aren't actually injured?

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
No. Because they’re part of our first team squad. Why are people struggling with this?!
Because they aren’t named on the 25 man squad list registered at the PL. When certain media outlets compile their list of injuries they exclude under 21 year olds because they aren’t counted in thePL registered squad and since certain PL teams have played in the EFL trophy all players that ( under 21 olds) are given a squad number.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because they aren’t named on the 25 man squad list registered at the PL. When certain media outlets compile their list of injuries they exclude under 21 year olds because they aren’t counted in thePL registered squad and since certain PL teams have played in the EFL trophy all players that ( under 21 olds) are given a squad number.
Ah. Ok then. Well that’s stupid. The injury record should include everyone in the first team squad. And it’s not hard to work out who those players are.

Ole'sgunnarwin

That's a pretty dumb way compiling a list of injured players

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
But injuries apparently haven’t impacted our season according to some on here.
Of course they have impacted whereas clearly other clubs like Arsenal have had little to no issues this season but is that really the story this season ?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
If you had a choice of all of our best players (based on previous performance with United and at other clubs) then yesterday we were missing the following players due to injury, form or politics:

Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Fernandez, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood.

That's eight first team starters that would walk into yesterdays team. And that's not including Lindelof, Maguire, Malacia and Mount currently injured.

So whether you blame the manager, the medical staff, the Carrington pitches or whatever...to say that injuries haven't impacted our performances this season doesn't seem to fit with the reality.

Jericholyte2

Of course they have impacted whereas clearly other clubs like Arsenal have had little to no issues this season but is that really the story this season ?
No it's not, as there's clearly issues going on, but the extent of injuries puts an asterix on most other sections up for discussion.

Hester_manc

I have read a Norwegian article on united.no, where Wayne Rooney states that he is 100% sure that some of the United players can easily play and are not injured anymore, but they are saving themselves for the FA Cup final and the EC. They just claim that they are still injured, but can easily play. I really hope this is not true.

Source: https://www.united.no/nyheter/tror-skadde-spillere-sparer-seg/1301460