How bad have our injuries really been this season?

Son

It's been horrible, but the player I have missed the most is Licha. He is pure fire. Without him, we sometimes play ok, sometimes play horrible, but there is no fire in United without Licha. He is just different and makes people around him different, too.

Martinez has been a HUGE loss, We lost him pretty much for the entire season, too :(
Casemiro’s obvious drop off too. Everyone could see that a mile away before he signed he’d struggle eventually.

He dragged us through games kicking and screaming at times last season but the ridiculous schedule we put his body through ended his career at the top level from what I can gather.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think there’s an idea body type for this kind of thing (longevity and availability), and Bruno has it. His pace will never be central to his game, he won’t wreck his joints by playing two games a week for years on end, that someone like Lukaku would do. I think he’ll be one of those players (modric is also one) where they’ll be pretty much as good at 35 as then were at 30.
His style too, you look at Bruno's game and he hardly ever dribbles with the ball. He is a good runner off the ball but he won't get into awkward contact situations because his style is pretty much touch and release quickly rather than driving with the ball.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
As well as Evans, who apparently dropped out in the last minutes of the session yesterday.

Irwin99

Something does seem very weird about our injuries and fitness. You could see us playing a really intense game for 30-35 minutes then looking knackered. Second half we just looked deflated and then we suddenly found it again when Antony scored. It looks as if we have some serious issues with training or just players not suited to this type of football. Or both!

top1whoisman

Scout
hoijlannd and AwB had to start not match fit and Mct and Bruno looked to be hobbling for last few mins of game
Yeah AWB hasn’t really trained fully yet but had to come in after Evans’ injury. What an effort from him in those circumstances.

Don’t think it’s anything serious with those two, McTominay had cramps and well Bruno is Bruno. He might not be able to walk when he’s retired but you just know he’ll play 90 minutes for Portugal on Thursday.

Chumpsbechumps

Funny that I’m hearing loads about poor old Liverpools injuries and how many games they are playing.

They won’t have played as many games this season as United did last year even if they win the Europa.

Weird that Klopp and Pool get a concession for this and United/ETH don’t when they’ve played more games (last season) and had far more injuries this season.

Offsideagain

The ABU media sucking up to Klopp on his farewell tour and Liverpool in General. I can't remember this many injuries at OT. I've said it before that if the team are losing, the injured will stay injured. Bryan Robson played some games with his shoulder in bits back in the day. I reckon some of today's players may be swinging the lead at times.

Hughie77

No left backs at all nearly all season.. Dalot the poor sod has played left and right. Licha big miss.. Mainoo at beginning you can see how EtH was ready to put him in, Varane Maguire Casemiro, haven't had a settled back line all season... other teams have had injuries but ours have been in the same place in main..

Hojlund been out aa well. It has to get better.. Mount ffs ...

Bertie Wooster

Frustrating to get yet another injury. If it ends up just Maguire, then that's a manageable one and I'd have taken that. The bigger worry is that there's plenty more days and games for yet more, and maybe more important ones.

top1whoisman

Scout
Frustrating to get yet another injury. If it ends up just Maguire, then that's a manageable one and I'd have taken that. The bigger worry is that there's plenty more days and games for yet more, and maybe more important ones.
Considering Evans, Licha and Shaw being still out, Maguire’s form this season and Varane’s fitness record, it’s getting close to unmanageable in our defense again.

Bertie Wooster

Considering Evans, Licha and Shaw being still out, Maguire’s form this season and Varane’s fitness record, it’s getting close to unmanageable in our defense again.
Oh, I was forgetting about Evans' injury. I was thinking we'd at least have Evans, Varane, Lindelof and Kambwala for two positions. But, yeah, without Evans as well then it's very important Varane manages to stay fit if we're without those two along with Martinez.

tomaldinho1

I wonder if it's genuine or he knows he won't play next game and just can't be arsed to risk actually getting injured with England. Whilst we don't have a title run in, he's guaranteed starter for us right now and I'm sure he sees it as a chance to save his career somewhat/at the very least get a good club coming in for him in summer.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m beginning to think that our training intensity levels aren’t sustainable (not suited to existing fitness and recovery regimes) and we have a shambolic medical team. Worst combination any club could have. The injuries are beyond ridiculous. You’d think an issue of this magnitude should warrant a club-wide inquiry? Squad depth is only useful if players remain available.

tomaldinho1

I’m beginning to think that our training intensity levels aren’t sustainable (not suited to existing fitness and recovery regimes) and we have a shambolic medical team. Worst combination any club could have. The injuries are beyond ridiculous. You’d think an issue of this magnitude should warrant a club-wide inquiry? Squad depth is only useful if players remain available.
I think more it shows the lax levels of fitness we used to have. Look at Liverpool pre and post Klopp - they had a period when he came in where there were like 40 injuries, many repeat injuries to make it worse, through 15/16. There were like 10 hamstring injuries in Dec/Jan alone when the fixture list ramps up.

This is where you find out which players can adapt to the new levels required and which can’t - whether it’s attitude (Sancho) or physical/age (Martial, Case, Varane, maybe Shaw sadly) doesn’t really matter.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think more it shows the lax levels of fitness we used to have. Look at Liverpool pre and post Klopp - they had a period when he came in where there were like 40 injuries, many repeat injuries to make it worse, through 15/16. There were like 10 hamstring injuries in Dec/Jan alone when the fixture list ramps up.

This is where you find out which players can adapt to the new levels required and which can’t - whether it’s attitude (Sancho) or physical/age (Martial, Case, Varane, maybe Shaw sadly) doesn’t really matter.
Good point. I guess you could argue that the majority of our players are not at the fitness levels required of an elite club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Licha may well be back by the Brentford game, hopefully Maguire or Evans can too - it's still 5 days away..

Grande

This is an understaded point, and perhaps also part of what Rangnick was alluding to with his heart surgery comment. Many took that to be a mentality issue, but given that several players struggled while still being credited with high standards in training and leadership, for some it might as much be an issue that their bodies are not suited to the intensity demanded by the current brand of ‘multiple sprint’-ball.

tomaldinho1

Good point. I guess you could argue that the majority of our players are not at the fitness levels required of an elite club.
Yep, and given this season is the first we've stuck to and committed to playing the 2 x 8's in front of the single DM instead of Case/Eriksen, it's the first season the team is having to adapt to the new level of fitness. We've already seen the stories filter out about how sources say training is 'too tough' and there's too much running, just like when Klopp was said to not understand the PL and how he wouldn't be able to win things as all their players would get injured with his tactics.

This could easily be about us this season:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/06/liverpool-running-injuries-jurgen-klopp

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Finishing the game with a different centre back partnership to what you start with really does describe this season in a nutshell.

Or alternatively, the guy who was signed to give Shaw competition missing the whole season.

Dion

I don't think the constant centerback injuries are unrelated to our constant last-line defending if I'm honest. At this point it's naive to put it down to pure bad luck. Brentford had 80 touches in our box, 31 shots and 14 corners, that's a lot of last ditch defending which is going to be a strain on the body.

Manny

Grammar Police
Our entire medical team need to be fecked off. It's not just this season. It's been like this for years.

MyBloodIsRed

Licha and Victor have muscle injuries again and out now. You can’t make this stuff up.

abailey123

I mean - what more can you say?!
Rather than the head coach the first thing ineos need to look at is the medical team. Hopefully a run for big Willy at the back now!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean - what more can you say?!
Rather than the head coach the first thing ineos need to look at is the medical team. Hopefully a run for big Willy at the back now!
The medical team treats them. They don't decide how much the coach can run them, or what system the coach plays and what impact that has on physical durability.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is laughable and you really have to point at the coaching staff. Its not bad luck, it's related to our training and the way we play. Without a shadow of doubt. Literally the more ten Hag is here, the more time we spend in training and with fewer games we play, we pick up more injuries. It's ridiculous.