How bad have our injuries really been this season?

CM

We don't play with the ball like a big club, and we don't sit back organised and compact like a small club. City players know exactly the amount of energy they're going to use before starting a game. They whole thing is a bit like a training exercise for them. We step onto the field and god knows what's going to happen. I reckon the injuries follow. Chaos on the pitch, followed by injuries. Makes sense to me.
Seems logical to me. The physical demands on the players would be enormous if they ever hope to execute this kamikaze-ball with any degree of success. Particularly in those key areas in the middle of the pitch, the CBs and midfielders have to cover so much ground.

I'd be interested to see the running stats for our team vs the rest of the league. I imagine we're up there for distance covered even though you might not expect it because we never look co-ordinated in how we do it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
"Man Utd have started 31 different back lines in 43 matches this season:

1.AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw
2.AWB, Varane, Martinez, Dalot
3.AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Dalot
4.Dalot, Lindelof, Martinez, Reguilon
5.AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Reguilon
6.Dalot, Lindelof, Evans, Reguilon
7.AWB, Lindelof, Evans, Reguilon
8.Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Amrabat
9.Dalot, Varane, Lindelof, Amrabat
10.Dalot, Maguire, Evans, Lindelof
11.Dalot, Varane, Evans, Lindelof
12.Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Reguilon
13.Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Reguilon
14.Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw
15.AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw
16.AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Dalot
17.Dalot Maguire, Shaw, Reguilon
18.Dalot, Maguire, Varane, Shaw
19.Dalot, Evans, Varane, Shaw
20.AWB, Maguire, Evans, Dalot
21.AWB, Kambwala, Evans, Shaw
22.AWB, Varane, Evans, Dalot
23.Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw
24.Dalot, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw
25.Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Shaw
26.Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Lindelof
27.Dalot, Lindelof, Varane, Amrabat
28.Dalot, Varane, Evans, Lindelof
29.Dalot, Lindelof, Varane, AWB
30.AWB, Maguire, Varane, Dalot
31.Dalot, Kambwala, Maguire, AWB

From RB, RCB, LCB, LB

Tried my best to keep this in chronological order of this season.

This Doesn’t include times where injuries have caused backline to change in game. E.g Kambwala coming on at RB, or Bruno playing CB in FA cup vs Pool.

Injuries in defence this season, have definitely not helped. "

From @AliceTalksFooty on X
It’s a bit sensationalist. I took a glance at other clubs in the top 8 and they’re much the same, with some exceptions.

The missing data is when these changes were forced upon us. I could be arsed to marry up those data. It would be a huge task to do that and compare with the top 8.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Varane out for a ”few weeks”, Evans won’t be available for the Bournemouth game either.

Woziak

It’s really simple, since the one winter WC held, injuries especially impact and hamstring injuries have increased exponentially across the PL, it’s only going to get much worse next season with added European games and world club cup games for Chelsea and City. It’s time to have 6 subs, but at least 3 subs must be attacking players, plus the 5th and 6th sub must be made after 80 minutes , time also to increase squads to 27/28 players.

Blood Mage

Thank feck the rest of this season is irrelevant because what a crazy situation to be in. The upcoming transfer window is so important.

KjaAnd

Can't remember ever seeing this insane amount of injuries over a season before. I find it hard to believe it's purely down to bad luck. There must be something wrong with the way we train.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We don't even have fixture congestion. There's no such thing as bad luck to this extent, it's definitely correlated to our style of play and our training sessions.

DON’T PANIC ™

Don’t know why we bother with training. It’s not as if the team has developed a style of play, knows how to defend or score goals.
The only thing we seem to achieve at training is injuries.

Longshanks

Can't remember ever seeing this insane amount of injuries over a season before. I find it hard to believe it's purely down to bad luck. There must be something wrong with the way we train.
If we train anything like we play, than undoubtedly yes.

Chairman Steve

This is no longer freak luck. This is a pattern and you should look at the coaching staff.

It’s not like we’re playing 2 games a week all season. We’ve spent half the season playing one game a week.

leontas

Our fitness and conditioning is a joke if we’re suffering so many injuries. We have one of the lightest fixture schedule so we can’t blame the injuries on the huge amount of games. So it’s purely down to training and conditioning. And the responsibility for that lies squarely with ETH.

baskinginthesun

Ooof! Hard to believe every single one of our players is injury prone. When someone like Maguire gets injured (who was quite reliable before ETH). We've had consistent injury problems all season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There is something seriously wrong behind the scenes this season. We had some incredibly bad periods in SAF’s latter years but this is a whole new level.

didz

Ooof! Hard to believe every single one of our players is injury prone. When someone like Maguire gets injured (who was quite reliable before ETH). We've had consistent injury problems all season.
He was also injured for the entirety of his best season at the club, but was on painkilling injections throughout the campaign. I wonder if we might've just stopped using such treatments altogether, leading to more matches being missed.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's not a coaching thing. It's that Varane and Lindelof are injury prone, Martinez has had terrible luck with that hammer falling on his knee, Evans is 37 and Kambwala has picked up a knock.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Biggest injury is sitting on the bench and 'coaching' the team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was also injured for the entirety of his best season at the club, but was on painkilling injections throughout the campaign. I wonder if we might've just stopped using such treatments altogether, leading to more matches being missed.
I know Lindelof was that season because of a bad back. Are you thinking of him or was Maguire playing through injury as well that season (20/21)?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It's not a coaching thing. It's that Varane and Lindelof are injury prone, Martinez has had terrible luck with that hammer falling on his knee, Evans is 37 and Kambwala has picked up a knock.
Lindelöf’s missed 3.8 games per season on average during the last five seasons before this. Exclude covid & illness and it’s 2.8 per season. Wouldn’t call that injury prone.

frostbite

The only logical explanation I can think of is that ETH is responsible for the injuries during training. If someone else was responsible, ETH should have fired them already, so again it is his responsibility. It seems to me that ETH doesn't know what he is doing, and because he is failing, he puts too much pressure on the players. He is damaging our players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof has never really been injury prone. A couple of games here and there, but he's already missed almost as many games this season as he did in all his previous seasons here put together.

didz

I know Lindelof was that season because of a bad back. Are you thinking of him or was Maguire playing through injury as well that season (20/21)?
Apparently the first two months of 2020 he was on them for a hip problem, with Anka also claiming that he finished that season on painkilling injections for another unspecified injury. So not quite the whole of 19/20 as I initially said, but the business half.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Lindelöf’s missed 3.8 games per season on average during the last five seasons before this. Exclude covid & illness and it’s 2.8 per season. Wouldn’t call that injury prone.
Lindelof has never really been injury prone. A couple of games here and there, but he's already missed almost as many games this season as he did in all his previous seasons here put together.
Fairs. So that's the only exception, not an indictment of training or coaching.

DownRiver

You know what is strange?
From the whole team, I would have thought Rashford would have been injured more if high intensity training was an issue. It makes sense why he is not over exerting himself, he probably is more concerned he would get injured if he does too much.