How big of a club is Tottenham Hotspur?

Moonred

You should PM Glaston and sort it out. Or ignore him if every little thing coming out of his mouth is winding you up. Christ on a bike.

Skills

Snitch
Newcastle are the real sleeping giant.

Any investor looking to spread the wealth could do far worse than buying out the Geordies. Huge stadium, glittering history and a massive, passionate fanbase.
If Newcastle are a sleeping giant, it's one that has never ever woken up. They've got 3 FA Cups, and a league title to show for the last 100 years. The last of which was over 70 years ago. They have a passionate fan base but it's limited to the North East of England, they don't have any pull or draw outside of that region of England. Massively overrated club.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good shout to be fair but... "we all hate Leeds scum" so it would be safe to assume that any potential investors would likely feel the same way. Worst fans on the planet!
Nah, safe to say Millwall take that accolade.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I said (in another thread): "You [United] have more money than Spurs, but not much else going forward. And you under-estimate what Pochettino has at Spurs: a pool of young, talented players with squad coherence and continuity, the opportunity to establish a dynasty, a training centre that's the equal of any in the world, a London base, a fantastic new stadium (soon) and the knowledge that with the new stadium will come an increased budget for player wages and net transfer spend."

This was said in response to the suggestion that Pochettino would be off to United "in a flash" if offered the job.

The OP is a deliberate attempt to mislead, since I did not say that Spurs are "as big a draw as United." I simply suggested that Pochettino is very happy at Spurs, is committed to a long-term project with us and would be very reluctant to give it all up. The notion that Pochettino, given the chance, would easily dump it all for United this summer is delusional IMO.

Paxi

I said (in another thread): "You [United] have more money than Spurs, but not much else going forward. And you under-estimate what Pochettino has at Spurs: a pool of young, talented players with squad coherence and continuity, the opportunity to establish a dynasty, a training centre that's the equal of any in the world, a London base, a fantastic new stadium (soon) and the knowledge that with the new stadium will come an increased budget for player wages and net transfer spend."

This was said in response to the suggestion that Pochettino would be off to United "in a flash" if offered the job.

The OP is a deliberate attempt to mislead, since I did not say that Spurs are "as big a draw as United." I simply suggested that Pochettino is very happy at Spurs, is committed to a long-term project with us and would be very reluctant to give it all up. The notion that Pochettino, given the chance, would easily dump it all for United this summer is delusional IMO.
That quote of yours in the OP pretty much says to me what you think of United. Apart from money theres not much to us. It's just total bullshit.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
My prediction for the summer is as follows.

Poch to become United manager and sign Kane + Erkisen the day after his arrival.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not an elite club but are a big club trying to become an elite club.

... Change title to Glaston half talks some guff
This is correct: Spurs are a big club aiming to becoming an elite club. This is the project set in motion by Levy - hence the new training centre and new stadium complex as foundational building blocks - and it's the project that Pochettino, from his words and deeds, seems to have signed up to.

PS. It's the OP that's talking guff, as it takes my post out of context and tries to put words in my mouth that I've not said.

red4ever11

OP I find this thread is mildly embarrassing. It's like your saying how dare they progress and challenge the elite of this league... Nothing in life is constant there is always change both for good and bad... As a club they are managed brilliantly and have made huge strides in the past ten years... They will probably continue to do so with their new stadium and having the attraction of London as a destination..... 10 years ago it would have been just a matter of us deciding do we want Harry Kane, Alli etc unfortunately that is no longer the reality. Utd need to start managing their business and progressing the club so that we no longer need to worry about the progress of others.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My prediction for the summer is as follows.

Poch to become United manager and sign Kane + Erkisen the day after his arrival.
Don't forget Levy saluting every Utd fan as they enter the stadium for the first match next season at Old Trafford. Glaston and myself shall be there in shackles surrounded by rotten food for supporters to throw at will. I can't wait.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Seems like a fair point if it’s in response to that.

Fake news thread then :)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't forget Levy saluting every Utd fan as they enter the stadium for the first match next season at Old Trafford. Glaston and myself shall be there in shackles surrounded by rotten food for supporters to throw at will. I can't wait.
No need for such hostility lad. I mean rotton food is just going overboard.

That's what I've heard except just Poch and Eriksen :)
I'd settle for that!

raggy

Supports
Spurs
One thing I've seen on this forum browsing it for the past couple of years is that United fans inparticular are very keen to bellitle Tottenham at any opportunity. Hence threads like this.

Really not sure why it even matters.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That quote of yours in the OP pretty much says to me what you think of United. Apart from money theres not much to us. It's just total bullshit.
Too many United fans rest on historical laurels, a mistake that Spurs have made in the past.

But looking forward - what more do United have over Spurs besides money? You have a bigger fan-base, but that translates into more money. You have a bigger stadium, but again that translates into more money.

Do you have a better squad? I think not. Do you have a better training centre? Again, I think not. Do you have a better stadium? Currently, yes, but in 9 months from now you won't (bigger capacity, but not better). Do you have a better manager? I think not. Do you have a better scouting, academy and player development set-up? I think not.

Isn't it true that United have slipped away from elite club status since Fergie retired? Isn't it true that most observers no longer see United in the same bracket as Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich etc?

Paxi

OP I find this thread is mildly embarrassing. It's like your saying how dare they progress and challenge the elite of this league... Nothing in life is constant there is always change both for good and bad... As a club they are managed brilliantly and have made huge strides in the past ten years... They will probably continue to do so with their new stadium and having the attraction of London as a destination..... 10 years ago it would have been just a matter of us deciding do we want Harry Kane, Alli etc unfortunately that is no longer the reality. Utd need to start managing their business and progressing the club so that we no longer need to worry about the progress of others.
Well no. It was never like that with Berbatov which was around 10 years ago. Levy is notoriously difficult to deal with. That doesn't make them a big club. Just makes their chairman who by all accounts hates United taking a hard stance on selling to us. Though, we had no problem negotiating for Bale with them. If you throw enough money at Spurs they'll bend and break like a twig. It will be the same for Kane or any other player they have. Whether they go us when Madrid are in for them is another matter.

I'm pretty fecking sure if Kane was offered United he'd jump at chance as any other sane Spurs player and no amount stadium capacity or new training facilities will change that.

Runner

I'd say they're equivalent with Roma or Bayer Leverkusen. Not the best team in their respective country but alright.

Paxi

Too many United fans rest on historical laurels, a mistake that Spurs have made in the past.

But looking forward - what more do United have over Spurs besides money? You have a bigger fan-base, but that translates into more money. You have a bigger stadium, but again that translates into more money.

Do you have a better squad? I think not. Do you have a better training centre? Again, I think not. Do you have a better stadium? Currently, yes, but in 9 months from now you won't (bigger capacity, but not better). Do you have a better manager? I think not. Do you have a better scouting, academy and player develop set-up? I think not.

Isn't it true that United have slipped away from elite club status since Fergie retired? Isn't it true that most observers no longer see United in the same bracket as Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich etc?
WTF are you talking about? We've more history in the past 3 years than you have 30. I'm not sure how we're resting on our laurels. :houllier:

This whole post just proves how fecking delusional you are.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well no. It was never like that with Berbatov which was around 10 years ago. Levy is notoriously difficult to deal with. That doesn't make them a big club. Just makes their chairman who by all accounts hates United taking a hard stance on selling to us. Though, we had no problem negotiating for Bale with them. If you throw enough money at Spurs they'll bend and break like a twig. It will be the same for Kane or any other player they have. Whether they go us when Madrid are in for them is another matter.

I'm pretty fecking sure if Kane was offered United he'd jump at chance as any other sane Spurs player and no amount stadium capacity or new training facilities will change that.
As reluctant as I am (very) to get involved in any serious way in this ridiculous and petty thread you have started I really must ask on what basis do you think this? There has been absolutely no evidence to suggest Kane wants to leave Spurs anytime soon and no evidence at all that he would want to play for Utd. You are just plucking things out of thin air here and stating your opinion based on that (which is fine).

Paxi

As reluctant as I am (very) to get involved in any serious way in this ridiculous and petty thread you have started I really must ask on what basis do you think this? There has been absolutely no evidence to suggest Kane wants to leave Spurs anytime soon and no evidence at all that he would want to play for Utd. You are just plucking things out of thin air here and stating your opinion based on that (which is fine).
United are one the biggest clubs in the world. Spurs are not. It's simple.

red4ever11

What you think Utd didn't sound out a Kane move last summer before moving for Lukaku. Or even the summer before that. He's the best striker in the premier league you can be sure we have sussed out the possibility of him moving only to be given no encouragement by the agent of the player and spurs themselves. Your argument doesn't hold up. Unfortunately he obviously doesn't hold a move to Utd as close to his heart as we would:-)

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
WTF are you talking about? We've more history in the past 3 years than you have 30. I'm not sure how we're resting on our laurels. :houllier:

This whole post just proves how fecking delusional you are.
You've ignored every single one of the questions I asked. It's not hard to guess why.

SPURSY85

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

There it is again...... so arrogant..

it's not like we're Southampton or Newcastle? We're in the CL! we've made huge steps to be come a consistent top 4 club - that's just the beginning! we want to grow and advance an get better and better. Do you feel the same about any Arsenal player?

I know you can offer more money but let's face it, the only club guaranteed trophies is City... do United have a better chance of winning the FA Cup or CL than Spurs? Honestly?

Don't get me wrong, some players might fancy the switch but you can't just say anyone in our squad is dying to join you. It's so arrogant mate! We finished 2nd and 3rd last two seasons with a good young progressive coach. Do you not think it's even slightly possible some might be both happy at Spurs and could fulfill their ambition there?

United_We_Stand

Do you have a better squad? I think not. Do you have a better training centre? Again, I think not. Do you have a better stadium? Currently, yes, but in 9 months from now you won't (bigger capacity, but not better). Do you have a better manager? I think not. Do you have a better scouting, academy and player development set-up? I think not.

By this logic, after moving to Wanda Metropolitano, Atletico Madrid have become the 6th or 7th biggest football club in the world! :houllier:

Paxi

You've ignored every single one of the questions I asked. It's not hard to guess why.
I didn't ignore them. You've pretty much answered them yourself. Those answers are fecking delusional. You think, your shiny new stadium will have a bigger stature in the game than Old Trafford?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

What a complete load of shit

Better squad yes, Spurs probably have 4 players at most who would make our side and it's only 4 because it looks like we're signing one of them in the summer

Better training centre and better stadium? Who gives a shit if it doesn't translate to on the pitch success?

Better manager yes undoubtedly, what has Poch won?

Better scouting? Spurs and United shop in different markets, maybe the only reason you're smaller status is a positive (well until said player wants to leave for bigger and better things)

Lastly the only people who don't class us in the same bracket is Real, Barca and Bayern are idiots (maybe like yourself) because don't confuse club status with on the pitch status because if you're talking the latter then clubs like City and PSG would be ahead of Bayern as well

raggy

Supports
Spurs
The real answer to this question of course is the same reason why this thread even exists or why quite a few United fans even have a problem with Tottenham seeing as there's very little historic reason for it.

Tottenham are big enough to say "No" to Manchester United and that pretty much sums up why any United fan even has a problem with Tottenham. Disliked because we should fall in line and pass anything United wants up to their high horse.

Claude Makélélé

League won: Not in top 16
Revenue: Not in top 5
Global fan base: Not in top 5

Overall:
Not in top 5

Not Borussia Dortmund level who won 8 German leagues (2 recently), Champions league 96/97 (runner up 2012/13), bigger revenue (2015/16) and more popular worldwide.

Some labelled Chelsea only win trophies recently but what Tottenham has won in entire Premier League era (1992-now) is nowhere near what Chelsea had won in 8 years (1992-2000 before Roman arrived).

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
United are one the biggest clubs in the world. Spurs are not. It's simple.
And the delusions of some United fans are the biggest in the world: your suggestion that United could take Kane this summer if they wanted to being a prime example.

If United thought they could get Kane, they would have signed him last summer instead of Lukaku. Everyone and their dog knows this. But apparently not you.