How big of a club is Tottenham Hotspur?

shaky

Poch ain't going to hang around once the star players start to jump ship and they're fighting to get 4th every year. Having their best spell in decades recently and are in severe danger of exiting that period with absolutely no silverware to show for it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Historically, the likes of Leeds are way ahead of Spurs which is why historical models don't really work. You could also add Forest.
I'd say Leeds had a better team than Spurs in early 2000's. Which just shows you how it can unravel.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'd say Leeds had a better team than Spurs in early 2000's. Which just shows you how it can unravel.
They did. They got to the semis of the CL.

They mismanaged their accounts though, which was funny.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In no particular order, these things determine "bigness":

Trophies won
Number of supporters
Average league position
Linkedin connections

I'm sure someone, somewhere has worked out a formula. X + Y x Z = who gives a shit.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Interesting read.

Liverpool have 1 trophy in the last decade. Haven't won the league in quarter century. They're bigger club than Spurs and will be for some time.

Heck, I'm a United fan but if I was offered to play for either of those clubs I wouldn't think twice choosing Liverpool.
I can understand players choosing the Klopp project over the Pochettino project seeing as both clubs are about equal imo, but I highly doubt players would decide one or the other based on the history of the club. Only way that makes sense is if they believe the club size = income = greater chance of trophies/salary increase.

Paxi

Interesting read.

I can understand players choosing the Klopp project over the Pochettino project seeing as both clubs are about equal imo, but I highly doubt players would decide one or the other based on the history of the club. Only way that makes sense is if they believe the club size = income = greater chance of trophies/salary increase.

Well, I'd say the history of the club is pretty important. And Liverpool still do have greater chance of winning trophies. And as for salary it would roughly be the same. So it would be Liverpool for me.

SPURSY85

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Currently Roma, BVB, Napoli tier
That's Probably about right. As a Spurs fan I'm not bothered how big we're perceived as a club once we're advancing and developing which we seem to be. At the very least now, we're in the conversation which would be absolutely unthinkable 10 years ago.

We're well aware we're not at the "status" of club as United and Liverpool for "History" (Sigh come on guys!) but we're closing the gap and presumably it'd be a lot more convenient for United/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal if we went away.

What we find annoying is that we as a club "belong" anywhere other than where we finish. It's irking to hear stuff like "Kane and Poch and Alli and Eriksen and etc etc etc will all go and Spurs will be back where they belong" As if there's some sort of natural order of where teams should be regardless of performances on the pitch.

I think it's something I've personally found Liverpool fans particularly guilty of over the years, *not all of course, but a sense of entitlement.

Anyway I'm not fussed if we're a big club small club have X amount of followers on twitter etc just care about the performances and players.

Spurs fan are generally quite pessimistic and often accused of not demanding more of our team! anyway that's my two cents.
thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Akshay

Skills

Snitch
I think you can measure a clubs size by media & even fans expectations.

Spurs win the title it will almost be a fairy tale cause nobody would expect. If they miss out on top 4 I bet nobody in the media would bat an eyelid, it's just not worth the story. Madrid are the biggest club in the world, and everyone goes nuts if they don't win a league or a CL. 'Big' clubs have an inbuilt culture of success, and when they don't achieve something in a season its a really big deal.

Paxi

I think you can measure a clubs size by media & even fans expectations.

Spurs win the title it will almost be a fairy tale cause nobody would expect. If they miss out on top 4 I bet nobody in the media would bat an eyelid, it's just not worth the story. Madrid are the biggest club in the world, and everyone goes nuts if they don't win a league or a CL. 'Big' clubs have an inbuilt culture of success, and when they don't achieve something in a season its a really big deal.

Thats a good point. The expectations from media and the fans is always a good indicator. But there was a time where Madrid languished in relative obscurity too. Remember Liverpool beating them home and away.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I don't really pay too much attention to this 'how big a club is' thing but I cannot think of a single criteria by which you would describe Leeds as a bigger club than Tottenham.

Paxi

I don't really pay too much attention to this 'how big a club is' thing but I cannot think of a single criteria by which you would describe Leeds as a bigger club than Tottenham.
I didn't say they were.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not to mention Aston Villa or Newcastle United. Both of which have been relegated in recent years, Newcastle who seems to go up and down on a regular basis.

I'd say they're 2 tiers below the top 5 with Everton 3 tiers below. Once the new stadium is complete i'd push them up a tier to only 1 below the Top 5 (due to lack of trophies).

Skills

Snitch
Thats a good point. The expectations from media and the fans is always a good indicator. But there was a time where Madrid languished in relative obscurity too. Remember Liverpool beating them home and away.
Then in the summer they broke the world transfer twice in 2 weeks. They were also the reigning 2x la liga champions at the time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Come on, that's insane. The have 130 years plus history, multiple FA / League cup wins and have won the league a few times. You can't dismiss where they are now based upon that. If anything they're due a bit of resurgence and are playing in a way that suggests it's at least possible.

There biggest problem is the current wage structure, the fact that Poch is yet to really prove himself and they're awfully indisciplined which puts me off their football and I'm sure many others too.
The same can be said for Leeds, Forest, Burnley, Ipswich, Wolves, Derby, Villa. Hell, Spurs haven't won the league since 1961! They're having their best spell in more than half a century and still haven't got anywhere near lifting the premier league trophy. Spurs is a good tier or two below the likes of United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Paxi

Then in the summer they broke the world transfer twice in 2 weeks. They were also the reigning 2x la liga champions at the time.
Well thats true.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
What we find annoying is that we as a club "belong" anywhere other than where we finish. It's irking to hear stuff like "Kane and Poch and Alli and Eriksen and etc etc etc will all go and Spurs will be back where they belong" As if there's some sort of natural order of where teams should be regardless of performances on the pitch.
Don't be offended, we still get that sometimes and we've won as many major trophies as anyone in the last 15 years.

They're having their best spell in more than half a century and still haven't got anywhere near lifting the premier league trophy.
They finished 2nd and were challenging hard until the last few weeks. That's pretty close.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Well, I'd say the history of the club is pretty important. And Liverpool still do have greater chance of winning trophies. And as for salary it would roughly be the same. So it would be Liverpool for me.
That's why I said that believing in the project at Liverpool over Spurs is perfectly reasonable, but I doubt players chose a club because of past achievements unless they believe they will be replicated. If Liverpool were a stable mid-table club I doubt their history would enable them to sign players Spurs couldn't attract. We may disagree on that and that's fine though :)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean some Spurs fans on this forum would have you believe Spurs are as big a draw as United. It's delusional. I mean they're not even the biggest club in London. Arsenal, Chelsea are both bigger clubs.

Where do Spurs fans get their shit from? I want to smoke some of it.
Other than perhaps that one fan (who I'm also sure wouldn't actually say that Spurs are bigger than Man Utd) there is literally not a single Spurs fan who would think that Spurs are bigger than Man Utd. We're clearly and objectively not, in just about any metric.

We're also objectively not as 'big' as Arsenal historically (though the difference was not as large as it has been recently) in London and due to new money, probably most people would say we're not as big as Chelsea anymore, who have only very recently overtaken us in terms of total number of trophies won.

More importantly however, the size of the club is surely irrelevant beyond strange dick waving contests amongst fans. I enjoy watching my club, just as you enjoy watching yours (and an Everton fan and a Sheffield Utd fan and a Southend fan enjoy theirs). For Spurs specifically, we've obviously not won as many trophies as the 3 red clubs but we've won more than our fair share and with some pretty big landmarks as well for British football. Which I'm pretty happy with.

Not much point getting caught up in abstract concepts about entities and their size, which we have no real discernible impact on.

Rory 7

Spurs are very big club, not sure why this is even in question. They are in actual fact a sleeping giant. You are talking about the club that was the first British team to win a European trophy, the first double winners in England in post-war years and one time holders of the record number of FA Cup wins. Of course they have been in the shade to their London neighbours (and us obvioulsy) in modern times, but when I were a lad Hoddle, Waddle, Villa et al where very much part a team from a 'big club'. Back when the FA Cup was a big competition. They're a big club, silly to suggest otherwise.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It (and Newcastle and Villa) show how easy it can unravel when you have poor financial management which is why I find the comments about how we need to start throwing around money (we don't currently have) to be strange. I think Kieron Dyer wrote an article recently to say he found out he was on more at Newcastle than some of our players now.

Perhaps one of the reasons Newcastle have become a yo-yo club now...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spurs are very big club, not sure why this is even in question. They are in actual fact a sleeping giant. You are talking about the club that was the first British team to win a European trophy, the first double winners in England in post-war years and one time holders of the record number of FA Cup wins. Of course they have been in the shade to their London neighbours (and us obvioulsy) in modern times, but when I were a lad Hoddle, Waddle, Villa et al where very much part a team from a 'big club'. Back when the FA Cup was a big competition. They're a big club, silly to suggest otherwise.
Newcastle are the real sleeping giant.

Any investor looking to spread the wealth could do far worse than buying out the Geordies. Huge stadium, glittering history and a massive, passionate fanbase.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
History isn't as important as y'all think it is. Spurs aren't elite but they're learning and I expect them to keep improving their financial numbers and facilities.

Kapardin

Look, Pep is at City and he referred to them as the equivalent of Villarreal. History and size of the club no longer matters nowadays for managers. What matters is, does the club have a good team and a solid structure in place?

Spurs have a good team. Whether they are able to sustain this in the long term, we do not know. Perhaps Poch may want to spend more to take them to the next level, and that might prompt a clash of vision. But whatever be the case, their squad is better than ours, even though we are higher in the table at the moment. And considering our shambles of a transfer policy as well as lack of long term vision, and the previous manager turnover, an up-and-coming manager like Poch would think twice about wanting to risk his career by joining us. Because if he fails, he will be deemed unfit for a top club.

In the current moment, Spurs have a good chance of being seen as more attractive (temporarily, I stress) than United for young managers. Likes of Jose, Ancelotti, etc might choose us over Spurs, but younger managers won't risk their reputation unless they see that the job is not too challenging.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd like Spurs if it wasn't for their fans. They've done well to be fair. They're the top of the level below us in my eyes but football wise they can be up there on their day. Whether they have enough substance to cement that, I dunno. Can't see how they won't struggle with their wages in the next few years.

SPURSY85

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd like Spurs if it wasn't for their fans. They've done well to be fair. They're the top of the level below us in my eyes but football wise they can be up there on their day. Whether they have enough substance to cement that, I dunno. Can't see how they won't struggle with their wages in the next few years.
That's true of every set of fans! There's United fans on here who've basically said they can just click their fingers and take Poch/Kane/Alli whenever they want....

Last edited by a moderator:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean some Spurs fans on this forum would have you believe Spurs are as big a draw as United. It's delusional. I mean they're not even the biggest club in London. Arsenal, Chelsea are both bigger clubs.

Where do Spurs fans get their shit from? I want to smoke some of it.
Can we stop saying 'some spurs fans' and acknowledge that this is caused by probably one person. It is infuriating that the entire Spurs fan base gets slaughtered in here just because one person winds everybody up. This thread is pathetic by the way.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I really don't understand why some posters are annoyed by Glaston. Grow up.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Any investor looking to spread the wealth could do far worse than buying out the Geordies. Huge stadium, glittering history and a massive, passionate fanbase.
Yeah I've long thought that. Also very little major competition geographically for fans if they started becoming a title challenging side again.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I'll give you Leeds as an even bigger sleeping giant!

Paxi

Stadium is shit by modern standards though. The capacity is only 37,890.
Do stadiums even matter at this point? Gate receipts are only a small portion of the revenue now. Leeds could still be huge club with right investment.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Stadium is hardly the most important metric though.
Do stadiums even matter at this point? Gate receipts are only a small portion of the revenue now. Leeds could still be huge club with right investment.
Dunno, but it seems like all the top clubs are pushing really hard for big new stadiums recently (or already have a huge stadium). It seems like it must still be pretty important.