How can that happen?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Aston Villa, Burnley and Fulham wins were fine margins. We were probably the better team but very likely to draw all of them. You might argue it wasn't bad form but it wasn't a good form neither. We got the results and it kept the momentum going but it was bound to happen soon.

Our forwards missing chances was a problem a month ago, recently we've been struggling to create any clear cut chances especially against teams sitting deep, xG confirms that.
I thought we were clearly the better side vs AV (9 shots on target to 5), Burnley (7 to 0) and Fulham (5 to 5, 62% poss, 8 to 2 corners). Yes, we had to grind out those results but we were the better side. We'll have to disagree.

Eriku

As horrible a performance as it was, I'm amazed by the lack of inquest into the 2 decisions regarding their first goal and our disallowed one.

Happy for them both to be given as a foul, or allowed to stand. I cannot work out how one can be given and the other not.

Had that decision been the other way round (us benefitting), then it would have been all over the place. But it's a result everyone bar Utd fans wanted, so it's allowed to slide.
It’s like a worse version of Rafael vs Vardy.

sparx99

The definition of knee jerk:

10w 3d 0l = on a high
1 l = reality

The definition of twisting the truth:

Rightful goals United 2-1 or 1-1
Not particularily lucky goals United 1-0
Expected goals United 0.99 - 0.69
Shots United 16-5
Shots on goal United 4-3
Decent chances United 5-2
Possession United 76% - 24%
Passes close to opponents goal United 11-3
Corner kicks United 7-2
Expected points: United 1.57 - 1.03

I’d say it takes a particularily blind Blades-supporter or negativistic Man Utd-supporter to conclude that Sheffield United deserved the win more.
The phenomenon that comes to mind is expectation vs actual performance. So if you think before the game Utd should win 3-0 and the performance was only worthy of 1-0 or 2-1 win then it’s disappointing. If it should have only been 1-0 and you end losing then it feels like Sheffield deserved it cos they over-performed while we under-performed (while still deserving to win).

sparx99

It’s like a worse version of Rafael vs Vardy.
I don’t like the get too conspiracy theory but since we hit top it’s felt like some very poor refereeing performances have followed. Against Fulham it felt like two different sets of rules where they got fouls for slight nudges while our players could be man-handled and it was the same against Burnley. Then this games with the two goal decisions which had a huge impact on the game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I thought we were clearly the better side vs AV (9 shots on target to 5), Burnley (7 to 0) and Fulham (5 to 5, 62% poss, 8 to 2 corners). Yes, we had to grind out those results but we were the better side. We'll have to disagree.
We were the better side without creating many good chances. It could've been as well a draw in each of those games, which is the whole point. Can't expect to score goals like the one Pogba scored (deflected volley) every game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They are showing in the City game they are not the push over many thought.

sparx99

They are showing in the City game they are not the push over many thought.
They’ve been losing games by the odd goal all season so they’ve never been the whipping boys some would make out.

It’s also worth remembering that good teams lose to bad ones sometimes. Liverpool had their invincible title run ended by Watford who got relegated. We lost Derby the year they got the record low points title while we won the league (I think).

For me it was the classic let down after a terrific run through Christmas and January. The league cup semi was the only really disappointing result in there for me. What’s vitally important is to win today and put it behind us.

Falcow

They’ve been losing games by the odd goal all season so they’ve never been the whipping boys some would make out.

It’s also worth remembering that good teams lose to bad ones sometimes. Liverpool had their invincible title run ended by Watford who got relegated. We lost Derby the year they got the record low points title while we won the league (I think).

For me it was the classic let down after a terrific run through Christmas and January. The league cup semi was the only really disappointing result in there for me. What’s vitally important is to win today and put it behind us.
A terrific run of results for sure but not a terrific run of performances and that's what the OP is getting at I think.

Since that performance V Leeds we have not played well in the league since if you look at each of the games. If it wasn't for Pogba we probably wouldnt have beaten Fulham and Burnley recently. We needed a 93rd min deflection to beat Wolves who are getting whipped by everyone these days and a dodgy pen to beat Villa.

I'm far from Ole out, in fact I continually defend him on here but recent performances have been awful and we need to improve and fast.

Eriku

I don’t like the get too conspiracy theory but since we hit top it’s felt like some very poor refereeing performances have followed. Against Fulham it felt like two different sets of rules where they got fouls for slight nudges while our players could be man-handled and it was the same against Burnley. Then this games with the two goal decisions which had a huge impact on the game.
We’ve become the team to beat for refs again! Good, I long for the days of David Elleray.

Grande

The phenomenon that comes to mind is expectation vs actual performance. So if you think before the game Utd should win 3-0 and the performance was only worthy of 1-0 or 2-1 win then it’s disappointing. If it should have only been 1-0 and you end losing then it feels like Sheffield deserved it cos they over-performed while we under-performed (while still deserving to win).
Yes, that’s why thinking is better than feeling when it comes to producing good thoughts.

Schmeichel=God

I think it's as simple as Oles setup and general coaching not being good enough, especially against the 532/352 of SU.

Constant examples of inadequacy of setup all over the pitch. As a result players looked devoid of ideas both in attacking positioning, movement, and defensively in pressing, marking.

It was embarrassing...for the whole 90 minutes.

And then we've got Martial, Rashford, Bruno playing like shit...because they're playing in this mishmash undrilled setup that has repeatedly brought huff puff no guile performances.

Add to that defenders being stupid, add up the variables, run the match, and you get that result....an infuriating one where you just know that of course it's Man Utd failing against the bottom team , can't score for toffee, "worst PL team ever".

Written in the stars....but it didn't have to be...if the coaching was better.

38 year old washed up unplayed CB keeping us at bay and getting motm. ... give me a break

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Let's compare the stats between MU vs SU and MC vs SU

Possession 76-34 (MU).....75-25 (MC)
Shots 16-4.....10-4
Shots on target 4-3.....5-1
Corners 7-2.....10-0

In the PL it's a fine line between winning 1-0 and losing 2-1. Let's not overreact to 2 disappointing results.