How can that happen?

lex talionis

I don’t know if Sheffield “deserved to win”, but what we can say is that they played to their maximum potential and we did not. In that sense, the Churchillian sense, they deserved victory.

croadyman

Arrogance on our part in thinking it was a formality beating SU reserves.
Yeah exactly the same level of arrogance shown against Istanbul and got what we deserved both games, certainly not going to be one of these blaming the refereeing decisions either because should have done more in the rest of that game

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Those stats mean feck all imo. I would agree if Ramsdale had to actually do something but he literally didn't. I can remember a Greenwood shot and Fernandes free kick that were both straight at him. Otherwise we were hopeless attacking.
Possession and corners mean feck all.

I say Sheffield United deserved to win because they worked hard where we just took it for granted. Plain and simple.
Thank you. I am not someone that gloats and gets cocky but I think credit is due. From that final whistle it was all about how bad Man Utd were on BT etc. We had to set up with what we had, dig in and frustrate you. Yes you should have definitely won based on league position etc but we played a solid game at the end of the day. Hopefully I am not attacked for this I just felt we actually deserved the result. For what it’s worth I hope you win each remaining game ;)

croadyman

Thank you. I am not someone that gloats and gets cocky but I think credit is due. From that final whistle it was all about how bad Man Utd were on BT etc. We had to set up with what we had, dig in and frustrate you. Yes you should have definitely won based on league position etc but we played a solid game at the end of the day. Hopefully I am not attacked for this I just felt we actually deserved the result. For what it’s worth I hope you win each remaining game ;)
You did deserve the result for the effort that you put in but sorry to say we won't be winning all remaining games because we haven't got that killer instinct to batter teams like our neighbours can do with such relative ease. I also don't like to hear our fans blaming those two iffy decisions because if we created more then those things don't affect the result

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
You did deserve the result for the effort that you put in but sorry to say we won't be winning all remaining games because we haven't got that killer instinct to batter teams like our neighbours can do with such relative ease. I also don't like to hear our fans blaming those two iffy decisions because if we created more then those things don't affect the result
Not far off from clicking though. This season is so far a big improvement and a step in the right direction.

croadyman

Not far off from clicking though. This season is so far a big improvement and a step in the right direction.
Appreciate the kind words but this team still has massive holes at CB, CDM, RW & ST. I only say the last one because yes we have Cavani but we need someone younger so can call on him when necessary rather than relying too much

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Appreciate the kind words but this team still has massive holes at CB, CDM, RW & ST. I only say the last one because yes we have Cavani but we need someone younger so can call on him when necessary rather than relying too much
I can see your point. Is it likely that you would get all of those in the summer? I think there’s good options in that attack but they are still relatively young. Cavani is a brilliant bit of business though I can see why you wouldn’t want to rely on him.

cyril C

- We were playing the team at the bottom of the table with a measly 5pts to their name.
- We were at home.
- They have only scored 2 goals one other time this season. (Also against us)
- Prior to this game, they had two goalscorers in the league. (Now they have four)
- Their goalkeeper didn't have to make one good save.
- Worst part is Sheff Utd deserved to win.

I have no problem losing a game of football. It happens. However, the manner of the defeat was disgraceful imo.

We were all on a high the last number of weeks and it looks like we've been brought down to reality.
We played our best 11 (almost) in FA Cup, Cavani included, and got what we wished for. Liverpool played their 3rd choice CB and got their lesson time. We played Telles and Tuanzebe in league game instead of FA, and got our lesson time. So it was not a walk in the park, why should anyone be surprised? Had we beat Sheffield then someone would have claimed Ole is a genius, beat Liverpool finally but still achieved result with a B team at home....

croadyman

I can see your point. Is it likely that you would get all of those in the summer? I think there’s good options in that attack but they are still relatively young. Cavani is a brilliant bit of business though I can see why you wouldn’t want to rely on him.
Knowing how tight the finances are due to COVID then quite frankly we will be lucky to get half of what we need, the biggest problem is because we haven't got football people on the board so can't find decent value in the market and means paying huge sums for players rather than doing shrewd deals.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Knowing how tight the finances are due to COVID then quite frankly we will be lucky to get half of what we need, the biggest problem is because we haven't got football people on the board so can't find decent value in the market and means paying huge sums for players rather than doing shrewd deals.
Any chance of Sancho? Really want to see him in the PL. Like you say though COVID has halted things a bit.

croadyman

Any chance of Sancho? Really want to see him in the PL. Like you say though COVID has halted things a bit.
Jadon could happen if the money is still there from last summer when we were supposedly willing to spend around £80m, however in regards to the other positions I don't think Ole knows whether he wants a CB or is going to stupidly rely on Axel/Bailly and the lack of any links to a proper CDM because of the obsession with McFred is even more concerning to say the least.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Jadon could happen if the money is still there from last summer when we were supposedly willing to spend around £80m, however in regards to the other positions I don't think Ole knows whether he wants a CB or is going to stupidly rely on Axel/Bailly and the lack of any links to a proper CDM because of the obsession with McFred is even more concerning to say the least.
I think you desperately need someone who can dictate in the middle. Not sure who to suggest but it’s one thing you don’t currently have.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The result isn't surprising in the larger scheme of things.
We generally stumble against teams that set up a low block no matter the opposition.
Also when we should never play the ball out from the back.
Matic needs a pair of rocket boosters attached to him. He is too slow.

croadyman

I think you desperately need someone who can dictate in the middle. Not sure who to suggest but it’s one thing you don’t currently have.
Yeah you are absolutely right about that but Ole doesn't seem willing to listen by the looks of it. We have been loosely linked to people like Neves in the past but tough to get him out of Wolves, there are some good options on the continent like Zakaria but again he has not long returned from an injury so need to monitor for the rest of the season. The one guy who really divides the fanbase is Rice because some think he is capable of playing for Utd but others say clearly not good enough on the ball for a team like us.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Yeah you are absolutely right about that but Ole doesn't seem willing to listen by the looks of it. We have been loosely linked to people like Neves in the past but tough to get him out of Wolves, there are some good options on the continent like Zakaria but again he has not long returned from an injury so need to monitor for the rest of the season. The one guy who really divides the fanbase is Rice because some think he is capable of playing for Utd but others say clearly not good enough on the ball for a team like us.
Neves fits the bill 100% top player. Rice is good for what he does but I can understand concerns over his distribution. I guess it just depends what type of player the manager wants in there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The attitude from some players was disgraceful. It’s like playing with 8 or 9 players vs 11 players. McTominay, Fred and Cavani will play instead against arsenal so hopefully we won’t see the same disgraceful attitude.

croadyman

The attitude from some players was disgraceful. It’s like playing with 8 or 9 players vs 11 players. McTominay, Fred and Cavani will play instead against arsenal so hopefully we won’t see the same disgraceful attitude.
Just hope Martial minimum stays on the bench although he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad full stop

LiamMillerBC

- We were playing the team at the bottom of the table with a measly 5pts to their name.
- We were at home.
- Prior to this game, they had two goalscorers in the league. (Now they have four)

I have no problem losing a game of football. It happens. However, the manner of the defeat was disgraceful imo.

We were all on a high the last number of weeks and it looks like we've been brought down to reality.
We seem to always get exposed against teams when we cannot counter attack. We have improved so much these lasts 18 months when it comes to attitude but we consistently have problems infront of the net. I think Rashford has too much pressure on him to be a goal scorer. He contributes so much to the team. I really like Martial but having to choose out of Martial, Rashford, Cavani ,Greenwood and James; I think we need to trade James and martial . We need a prolific #9 to get some real consistency. It hurts me seeing Bruno as our #1 scorer. He cannot be everything for our team.

Reactions: Sultan

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because we aren't that great a team. Our losses early in the season at home were just as poor and comical at times, and that wasn't long ago. It's hardly the same Bayern losing to the bottom placed team in Bundesliga.

Lentwood

Laziness. Arrogance. Believing their own hype. Losers mentality.

They believed that they just needed to turn up to win and that’s inexcusable, especially for a group of players who have achieved nothing.

Silverman

I stand by what I said. Ye deserved the win because ye fought harder than us on the day. In my opinion, we should have been 1-0 up rather than 0-1 down as Maguire's goal that was ruled out was definitely a goal and Bryans goal was probably a foul on De Gea. However, that happened early enough on in the game for us to turn it around.

Pearl's a minger

The thing that annoyed me the most was the fact (not for the first time this season) a bang average goalie turns up at old trafford and has probably one of there easiest games of the season. I’m really struggling to think of any saves of note he had to make in the whole game. Infuriating doesn’t even begin to cover it. Disgusting performance and I’m still steaming about it now.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We had two good goals disallowed

grahamo

Martial has been terrible and doesn't deserve his place in the line-up. He really needs to work harder. The whole crappy performance shows that a packed OT really is like having an extra man. The disallowed goal would have probably stood if 75000 fans were in attendance and Sheffield United would have most definitely bottled it. I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the defending for their 2nd goal. Maguire passes a hospital ball back to De Gea and he casually passed the ball out to his left (What was he thinking?). The Sheffield United lads then proceeded to pass the ball around to each other completely unchallenged until Burke scored with a massive deflection. WTF was Telles doing? A kids team wouldn't defend like that. Are there any defensive coaches at united? Whats going on?

Jaxa

It's simple "“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard”"

That quote sums up this current Manchester United team,

We probably have on paper one of the most talented squads in the league if not in europe however this team still cannot understand the importance of working hard for 90 minutes and they are comfortable with thinking there talent alone will win them trophies, sure it will win you some games, but it won't win you a league.

I hate to reference Liverpool but credit where it's due, they were the hardest working team in Europe for the last few years and they have trophies to show for that, sure they have some some fantastic players in the squad , maybe 3-4 world class players, and the rest are decent at best , however Klopp installed a fantastic work ethic into them, exactly the same as Fergie used to do, we won leagues with John O'shea/Darren Gibson/Cleverley/Welbeck/Fletcher etc in the starting 11 , they were never all world class players, but they worked their arse off the for team, this squad don't yet have that ethic, far too many passengers, that's Ole real big test.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Since the RBL defeat, 14 matches, we have been the better team in all the our matches except the City loss and draw, Liverpool draw and Wolves win. Many of our wins were by one goal but any objective person can't say we didn't deserve the wins. And we were the better team vs SU on Wednesday. This is why I'm not overly concerned about the 2-1 loss. The better team does not always get the result and that's football.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
- We were at home.

During.. I think it was the 12/13 or 13/14 season of La Liga, Real Madrid had won nearly every game and were leading the table, Ronaldo was on FIRE.

Real Madrid receives whoever was dead last bottom of the table at Santiago Bernabéu with everyone in form and Ronaldo at his peak. I remember this because I had a bet for 9 random games, 8 of which had gone in and I was set to collect a cool £2900 from a small bet. I was so sure I was going to win I had already decided what I'd spent it on the next day.

Real Madrid lost 1-2 at home. (*I had to re-check, it was 2-3 at home vs Real Zaragoza in 2011).

Sometimes football just hates you.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it wasn't so much the loss - more of the manner of defeat.

We barely troubled a goalkeeper that's been absolutely awful this season, and a team that is struggling massively on and off the field - we barely created any chances.

If only we made the game look as easy as the players think it was going to be. I still can't get over how bad that 2nd goal was especially.

croadyman

it wasn't so much the loss - more of the manner of defeat.

We barely troubled a goalkeeper that's been absolutely awful this season, and a team that is struggling massively on and off the field - we barely created any chances.

If only we made the game look as easy as the players think it was going to be. I still can't get over how bad that 2nd goal was especially.
Yeah the manner of the defeat was utterly shocking to say the least, yes the scousers and City can lose games like this but they would create numerous injury chances and generally takes the keeper having a worldie for his team to get a result against them

Hughie77

Muscle memory. There was a time not so long ago when he we had performances like that kept in reserve in our back pockets. All those playing last night have been culpable and will be again.
Agree, I sensed it would be a tricky game had bad feeling all day before ko. Like you said culpable and will be again, it's this team in a nutshell, until they learn and know how to win a trophy.

Flanders Devil

As an aside, and maybe @Nickosaur was being sarcastic, but I'm curious how yesterday's result would be typical of the EPL? I didn't see the match, but from what I've read, United were apathetic and Sheffield worked hard, and hence Sheffield managed a win. As far as I can tell, that happens the same way in all other leagues if a top team that's not superhuman has a day off. (With 'not superhuman', I mean that they're not running away with the league. Top teams that are running away with it tend to still win on their off-days.)
I think we’re on the same page.When I said ‘that’s the EPL’ I meant moreso ‘that’s professional sport’ and the fine margins involved, rather than meaning it’s specific to the EPL.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Longshanks

- We were at home.

Its happened many times before and will happen many times in the future, football is still a game played by 22 human beings, and sometimes you get shock results, sheff u are having a poor season but there still a well drilled well organised PL side and with some good fortune mixed into to us having a bad night they took the points. We move on and hopefully bounce back today at the Emirates.

Reactions: Cheimoon

simplyared

Tbh Sheffield Utd wern't that bad. Saw WBA midweek and they were absolute shite and they are above them. Reckon Sheffield could well get themselves out of trouble. Still rate their manager and they look quite well organized. There are teams in the PL worse than them. Not defending the defeat but the opposition were't just a pushover.

Counterfactual

It is amazing the apathy we showed.

A little walk back instead of running back to get in the way of a pass (Martial)
Pointing who to pick up yet letting your own man run away from you (Rashford)
A really weak appeal when your goal is ruled out (Martial)
Jumping to punch the ball like you have a fear of getting injured (De Gea)
Running out to meet the player with the ball, then stopping with your arms behind your back and looking at him (Matic, Telles, probably others)
etc

I hope Ole can instil a fighting spirit into these players and we never see that complacency again. It was shocking.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The problem is we were getting the results playing poorly for a while now. It was not a surprise we slipped really.

The worrying thing is we could've played for another 90' and I never felt like we're close to scoring.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The problem is we were getting the results playing poorly for a while now. It was not a surprise we slipped really.

The worrying thing is we could've played for another 90' and I never felt like we're close to scoring.
I have to disagree. We have been the clear better side in most of our matches since Dec 5 and therefore deserved the results. We were not the better side vs RBL, vs Man City twice, vs Liverpool once, and vs Wolves that we won. We were clearly better than Everton, LC, and West Ham who are in the top seven in today's table. I don't see how you say we were playing poorly.

In addition, if our forwards would score more (Marital, Rashford and Greenwood) than more of our matches in the past 2 months would have been won by 2 or more. The close scoreline in many of those matches made it seem we were hanging by a thread when in reality we fully deserved the result.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have to disagree. We have been the clear better side in most of our matches since Dec 5 and therefore deserved the results. We were not the better side vs RBL, vs Man City twice, vs Liverpool once, and vs Wolves that we won. We were clearly better than Everton, LC, and West Ham who are in the top seven in today's table. I don't see how you say we were playing poorly.

In addition, if our forwards would score more (Marital, Rashford and Greenwood) than more of our matches in the past 2 months would have been won by 2 or more. The close scoreline in many of those matches made it seem we were hanging by a thread when in reality we fully deserved the result.
Aston Villa, Burnley and Fulham wins were fine margins. We were probably the better team but very likely to draw all of them. You might argue it wasn't bad form but it wasn't a good form neither. We got the results and it kept the momentum going but it was bound to happen soon.

Our forwards missing chances was a problem a month ago, recently we've been struggling to create any clear cut chances especially against teams sitting deep, xG confirms that.