How did Steve Bruce score 19 goals in 1991-92?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I was listening to the Gary Neville podcast today and Martin Tyler seemed to mention that Bruce scored 20 goals in a season for United, wiki suggests it was actually 19 in 1991-92, which would be second most on the team, behind Hughes and McClair, with 21 each. This was well before my time and it sounded unbelievable to me for a center back. I knew Irwin used to take free kicks and penalties but did Bruce do that as well? If not, how did he get to that? He head healthy scoring numbers for a center back but he did not reach that number again before or after that season in his career. Is that also the most league goals ever scored by a center back or even a defender?

Tarrou

I remember him being on pens but don't remember how many he took, can't have been that many though

edit: just looked it up 11 pens, thats a lot more than i thought!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ye he was our regular penalty taker and got a few vital headers too - are there an regular penalty takers nowadays who are defenders?

Bruce was actually a great captain and pretty underrated as a player

I know Cantona took on penalty duties when he arrived in 1992 - cant remember if someone else was on them between Bruce and Cantona though, possibly McClair

Last edited:

JmRssll555

Ye he was our regular penalty taker and got a few vital headers too - are there an regular penalty takers nowadays who are defenders?

I don't think there are any in the Premier League just now because they would be a superstar for fantasy football managers! The last regular taker was perhaps Baines at Everton? Ramos takes penalties regularly for Real Madrid too.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
One of the best non capped players of all time for me.

Pallister was pretty poor when he arrived and Bruce had to carry him until he settled.

Apparently even Bobby Robson later apologised to him for not selecting him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was our penalty taker and great captain, he could make good tackling and header, but he was slow though.

Yeh I thought was underrated too, our defense used to be very solid with him and Pallister in defense, far better than our current one for sure. Let’s just say if Maguire worth 80m 2 years back, Bruce should worth 100m, comparatively.

Baneofthegame

I know Cantona took on penalty duties when he arrived in 1992 - cant remember if someone else was on them between Bruce and Cantona though
I few central defenders such as Unsworth and Dicks also used to take penalties back then as well I think.

Red_toad

He either kicked or headed the ball into the net. Do you watch football OP

white text

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I don't think there are any in the Premier League just now because they would be a superstar for fantasy football managers! The last regular taker was perhaps Baines at Everton? Ramos takes penalties regularly for Real Madrid too.
Ye good shout on Baines - can't think of any current defenders on pens, there has been several over the years

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
One of the best non capped players of all time for me.

Pallister was pretty poor when he arrived and Bruce had to carry him until he settled.

Apparently even Bobby Robson later apologised to him for not selecting him.
Apart from his ability, what made it more of an odd decision was I'd have thought Robson would have seen the merits of playing two CHs who played together week in, week out.

That said, Tony Adams was no mug so I can accept him as an alternative. But still no idea how people like Keith Curle got capped when Bruce didn't.

RashyForPM

I remember him being on pens but don't remember how many he took, can't have been that many though

edit: just looked it up 11 pens, thats a lot more than i thought!
What did the rival trolls call him? Steve Pruce? :D

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Telles, regular pen taker for Porto
Ray Stewart- never saw miss for WHU

The best of the lot IMO was Andy Brehme for Germany

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Teun Koopmeiners is the designed penalty-taker for AZ Alkmaar, though he is not a pure defender like Bruce — and alternates between midfield and central defense.
  • 14 penalty goals last season from a total of 16 (finished as the 3rd highest scorer in the team).
  • 9 penalty goals this season from a total of 15 (currently the team's highest overall scorer and the 3rd highest scorer in the Eredivisie as a whole).
  • Needs to score only 2 more penalties to overtake Kees Kist (a center forward who was European Golden Shoe in 1979) as the leading penalty-scorer for AZ in the Eredivisie.
https://www.transfermarkt.de/teun-koopmeiners/elfmetertore/spieler/360518

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I know Cantona took on penalty duties when he arrived in 1992 - cant remember if someone else was on them between Bruce and Cantona though, possibly McClair
Fabinho was penalty taker at Monaco with a really good record (and I think is second choice after Salah now).
Ricardo Rodriguez — LB.
Telles is/was a shout too.

Beyond that... not many defenders.

Bwuk

I was hoping Maguire could of been the modern day Steve Bruce for us.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I was hoping Maguire could of been the modern day Steve Bruce for us.
His head has a similar density but he’s closer in style to Pallister.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
10 pens I think?

Great season still and some important goals (could have been 20 if hughes did not take that first one in the cup winner cup final)

Though when you think Koeman managed 19 goals or more in 4 seasons and ended up with 239 goals in 685 games which is more goals in less games than Mark Hughes (224 in 799)it really does put "goal scoring defender" in context